• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
It's not anywhere the same, the base game owner are getting all the same patches, DLC and updates the "Ultimate" edition will get. The only clear difference is the base game owners with season passes are getting shafted out of potential next-gen upgrades entirely.
They are charging for next-gen just like last gen. So if the ultimate edition was next-gen only, suddenly it is okay for you? The code you are getting on the box would be the exact same either way.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
This is actually the FIRST thing about new gen that has actively pissed me off. I don't agree with the 69.99 price tag on the new 2K game, for instance, but also felt it was inevitable that a publisher would try to get away with that (and in my opinion, fail to make it the standard). For Control, I purchased the game, beat it, sold it, then purchased it AGAIN because I enjoyed it so much and was eager to play the DLCs. When I realized new gen was coming soon, I decided to wait until the new consoles and buy the expansion pass...and now I have the choice to repurchase the entire game or just play them through on the current optimization - which is acceptable of course, but deeply disappointing.

With how much Microsoft (and to a lesser extent Sony) are pushing seamless transition from last gen to new gen, I am extremely shocked 505 thinks this is a good idea and one that won't backfire on them. I am genuinely almost always the guy that just doesn't care what kind of money grab the publishers go for, but after a generation of almost completely free graphical upgrades, this is deeply disappointing for one of my favorite games.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
They are charging for next-gen just like last gen. So if the ultimate edition was next-gen only, suddenly it is okay for you? The code you are getting on the box would be the exact same either way.

If they hadn't already previously announced a free upgrade path from PS4/XBO to PS5/XBSX and then added this caveat now, then it wouldn't be this controversial at least.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I held off on DLC to see what they'd offer for next-gen upgrading. Glad I waited. Not getting the DLC. What a trash move. Not paying extra money for a PC experience that was available at launch.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
So I bought the game at launch, purchased the season pass and now I'm a less valuable costumer for 505 than those that are going to buy the ultimate versión for $30. Yeah...

I'm not buying any 505 games in the future if they don't budge with this decision.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they just needed a flashy way to advertise that the game would be coming to Steam after being a 1 year exclusive on EGS.

I'll never understand "Ultimate Editions" only a year after release lol

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Buying a game at launch has burned me again. This was one of my games I was looking forward to playing next gen console, I guess that won't be the case anymore.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Well this sucks. I loved the game. I didn't buy their DLC because it wasn't available on Xbox at launch (nor was there any season pass).

Now I'm not going to buy it at all. I might wait for a deep cut sale for the ultimate edition.

Except I expect that the game save will be different and I would be starting over. Fuck.
Same here. I'm waiting for it to be less than $20, or less than the season pass. I have plenty to play. I don't mind starting over on the new consoles so I can experience the game from the beginning with better performance, but yeah, this is a bad move all around.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
its a horrible clash of timing.

If you're publishing a big game basically from now onwards, you almost need to offer a PS5/XSX upgrade path to encourage peopel to buy. Otherwise a lot of people will hold on for the next gen version, day one SW sales will therefore disappoint and it could affect the studio badly (lack of bonuses, impact on funds for the next gen ports etc).

thats fine for 'new' games - its the first time anyone is being asked to buy it. But for 'game of hte year' kinds of releases you're in a hard place. You are technically releasing a 'new' game, but its really a repackage job to try and bring in some new revenue. So do you offer an upgrade path or not.

Personally I think the best approach here would have been to *not* offer a free upgrade to PS5/XSX users. Just let them choose to not buy it day one, take the potential hit and hope they'll buy when the next gen versions are out. Otherwise you get exactly this situation.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I played through this on PS Now, as I was gonna wait for the inevitable SKU with DLC

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I legitimately had to take anti-nausea medicine when trying to play through the stuttery, frame-dropping mess that was the game on base PS4.

Screw me for hoping that copy would be available and enjoyable on a system actually capable of running it.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I guess I will wait for it to be free to play it again. This is a bullshit move because even if you bought the DLC separately you wouldn't benefit.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's prettty rare to see a company piss off so much of their fanbase at once, right around the time they want you to cough up for DLC. Genius.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
The exclusivity deal had no or little affect on Control's sale.

Yes, I'm sure all parties are celebrating it as a great success. I think I can hear the developers over at Remedy celebrating from here.

I guess it's not really going to sell well on Steam then, given that Epic didn't hold it back, and since we all have time-and-dimension machines, we definitely know that exclusivity didn't affect first-year sales.

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played the game on an underpowered PC of the shitty performance on console. I think that's a big reason why I didn't like it as much as others. Hearing that if you suffered the console performance you are now punished even further is really terrible.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my plug to get people who are on the fence to move to PC. You'll always get the best version of a game. Plus, much less bullshit like this. :)

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This is a stupid ass decision. hopefully 505 pulls their heads out of their ass so console players can actually get a version of this game that runs properly.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Can we stop using the PR term Smart Delivery? I think most people already knew but it's pretty obvious now it's simply just marketing MS want to push.

Basically Control won't get a next gen patch, Control Ultimate edition will.
Smart delivery isn't a marketing term and it's been explained on this forum ad infinitum

Edit - should have said it isn't "just" a marketing term

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It would have sold a lot more units had it been on Steam day one, but they probably got a big payment from Epic.
Yes, I'm sure all parties are celebrating it as a great success.

I guess it's not really going to sell well on Steam then, given that Epic didn't hold it back, and since we all have time-and-dimension machines, we definitely know that exclusivity didn't affect first-year sales.
I doubt that very much from all the examples we've seen. We'll see in 2 weeks if Control is somehow unique.

Control is not your average AAA game. It would probably sold more on Steam? Definitely. Would it sold significantly more? Definitely not.

Look at the sales of this game on consoles. It sold poorly everywhere. If it sold well on consoles and poor on PC then I would agree the Epic deal held it back. but that's not what happened.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
BS move... at the very least give season pass owners a free upgrade.

some of these lot bought season pass at full price, even though it went on sale before content came out for it 😅

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So people who bought the base game + season pass like me are screwed. Nice way to reward your supporters, this is terrible in all fronts.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Smart delivery isn't a marketing term and it's been explained on this forum ad infinitum
I don't see an inch of smart in a system that download different file on different device. Smart delivery is a PR thing for say crossbuy. The result is exactly the same.
THIS.

Although I can understand how some people think it's SIMPLY a marketing term if they don't know the work MS does on the back end for games publishers agree to be apart of the program.
Work on the backend ? Sony have no smart thing and all third game livraison intelligente are crossbuy on PS5. MS work for sony ?

mintylurb

Oct 25, 2017
If they hadn't already previously announced a free upgrade path from PS4/XBO to PS5/XBSX and then added this caveat now, then it wouldn't be this controversial at least.
If 505 games did previously announce ps4/xbo versions will be offered a free upgrade to ps5/xbss/sx then I think there could some backlash.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
The game came out last year, if it came out this year there would be an argument there. This is fine as far as I'm concerned. A GOTY version that comes a year later (which we've had of tons of by now) which adds it is fine in my opinion.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What pisses me off even more is calling this "free upgrade".

No, fuck off. If you are making people buy a new version in order to upgrade to PS5/XSX versions, then it's not fucking free is it? So once again, fuck off Remedy & 505 Games.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The game runs terribly on PS4 as well and you ain't gonna give the patch that fixes this to the fans that bought the game early and supported you? lol what a slap in the face.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
No version of Control supports Smart Delivery.

The Ultimate Edition has a one way upgrade to the next gen version. That isn't Smart Delivery. This game is actually one of the better examples of the difference between Smart Delivery and a next gen upgrade.

If you have to write a Q&A on your website promising more info on eligibilty later on then that's not Smart Delivery. Smart Delivery would be 'buy the one version of the game that exists and you can play it on any of your consoles up and down the family whenever you want. Buy it on your Series X and it'll work on your Xbox One or vice versa. Or buy the disc from a store and it'll just work in either console.

Control is offering eligible players an upgrade to get the next gen version when it comes out. Ie a different version. You presumably won't be able to buy the next gen version of Control and play it on your old PS4 in the other room. You'd have to understand what their specific eligibility allows and then, probably, go out and specifically buy the PS4 version (of the Ultimate Edition - no other version!) and then go through Remedy/505's specific steps to get your PS5 version too. That is the difference. It's a one way move.

They're obviously both variants of cross-buy eligibility but there are differences in the execution. The title is accurate. Control won't support Smart Delivery. At all. It'll have a next gen upgrade option for people who buy the Ultimate Edition on either Xbox or PS4 like FIFA or Madden or whoever else annoucned doing it this way.

I see, thanks for the explanation.

Oct 25, 2017
Control is a cool game, but boy is the performance on base PS4 bad.

The first DLC was hard to playthrough because of those issues,so I am worried about the second