• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Only way this could have left a more bitter taste would if it's been exclusive to one platform over the other.

Nah. If there's one thing Control is well known for it's ray tracing. That would be a big part of wanting a proper next gen version I imagine.

Yup, all the enhancements on PC currently is most likely coming to next-gen.

At least offer the Season Pass owners something. Maybe a major discount at least.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What? I thought MS has control over smart delivery ?
They never did, it was always up to the publisher. People just ignored that bit because Smart Delivery sounded like a guaranteed feature, when it's not. Smart Delivery is just a fancy name for "The CDN will download the correct version for your console where applicable".

It's not greed. You realize that these patches take time and money to develop, right? Especially if the game wasn't designed with it in mind.
That would be fair for a lot of older games. But you can completely expect next-gen Control to have the same features its PC version had a year ago. The game was totally designed with all of the expected features in mind.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out for different publishers.

But this is pretty shitty yeah, did the EGS deal not pay enough? Lmao

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
They could at least pretend the Ultimate version wasn't just the Digital Deluxe rebranded. Put something in there to differentiate it This sucks majorly.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Yep! It just won't be "enhanced" for next gen unless you purchase the new SKU haha
Okay, thanks! There is still a chance it will see some improvements via "boost" mode though? I don't know how that worked on the PS4 Pro or how dramatic the improvements were though. May be better than nothing though.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I know I am in the minority of this thread but I don't really see it as a big problem. The game came out last year. Why exactly are we expecting it to upgrade? Did they promise such a thing? Seems like a lot of money to leave out on the table so far ahead of time. I agree it'd be nice, especially since the og console release had so many technical issues. But the people calling them scummy??? Did they promise smart delivery? I missed it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Yep! It just won't be "enhanced" for next gen unless you purchase the new SKU haha
To be fair, and seeing how they talk about elegibility in the picture at the OP, I wouldn't be surprised of an upgrade program, like 10$ and you get the upgrades or something like that, like it worked at the release of last gen with some cross gen games.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
As long as this topic is big, I also want to mention that there is content exclusive to the PlayStation 4 Digital Deluxe Edition and it's not addressed anywhere if this content is included in the "Ultimate Edition" on all platforms. I want to think that it will be, but after that shit that went on with The Foundation, I honestly need an answer.

Control-PS4-Digital-Deluxe.jpg

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To all here who are calling this move scummy, bullshit, shitty, etc.

Free nextgen version via Smart Delivery/Crossbuy is a option for the devs, not a right for the users.

Remedy is a small independent studio that needs money coming in to keep the lights running. Their last few games were linear singleplayer games that WERE NOT HITS [Alan Wake was on discounts ever since it launched, they've given it away for few bucks many times just to keep the IP alive, Quantum Break was far away from a big seller, and by the time Control came they were forced to move a lot of their workforce to farm out SP campaign for Crossfire].

I would rather see them ignore SD/Crossbuy then be forced to be downsize.

Who is talking about free? I literally spent more money on the base game and season pass than those buying the Ultimate version. My reward for giving them a greater amount of revenue is uh.. less stuff?

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Yeah it's silly, but a next gen upgrade was never promised, correct? It should at the very least be available to those with the Season Pass too.

EDIT: OH MY BAD. I thought I had the Ultimate edition from ages ago when it was on sale, but it's actually a brand new version. In which case that's awful, no one in their right mind would pay full whack to upgrade the graphics

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
I think the main problem is that the game is still in a bad state on consoles, i would be ok with just reducing the lag, loading and a locked fps in BC mode since the new systems are powerful enough to easily do it or maybe a 60 fps if it's possible, leave the better textures, RT and anything that would be expansive to the ultimate edition for next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
They never did, it was always up to the publisher. People just ignored that big because Smart Delivery sounded like a guaranteed feature, when it's not. Smart Delivery is just a fancy name for "The CDN will download the correct version for your console where applicable".
So another overhype feature that got backfired. Geeze, this is a bad month for the XSX isn't?

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Pretty lame move. So basically if I own the original launch Xbox copy I'd be better off selling it now and waiting for an extreme drop on the ultimate edition. But I kind of don't want to give them any money for a scummy move like this; perhaps I can get second hand at some point.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Who is talking about free? I literally spent more money on the base game and season pass than those buying the Ultimate version. My reward for giving them a greater amount of revenue is uh.. less stuff?
Not trying to antagonize you but you paid to play the game at or near release. You paid the season pass to get the for the DLC. Which you have access too.. Games drop pirces, GOTY editions come out, its not an attack on you.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So another overhype feature that got backfired. Geeze, this is a bad month for the XSX isn't?
I mean, not really, it's a nice feature if the publisher opts in. But this kind of stuff is never in the platform holder's control, you can't force the publisher to give away an upgrade patch if they want to charge for it. People just completely misunderstood what it was a ran with it. I wouldn't say Microsoft is to blame here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
On PSN if you already own a season pass you're not able to buy the ultimate editions/bundled versions as it recognises you own part of it, who to say this will not count?

Their own official PR says you must own the ultimate version. If it included season pass owners they would have said so, and if there is a miscommunciation then they still deserve to get ripped for incompetent PR statements.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm glad I played this on now and told people just wait for the inevitable ps5 version.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trash. Definitely not supporting this. Hopefully other publishers don't follow but I'm not too optimistic.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
What? I thought MS has control over smart delivery ?
It's amazing how MS' decision of just giving a name to the OPTION of delivering next gen upgrades to the developers and publishers have worked so good as a PR thing.

It was never obligatory, it was never different than the system Sony has. It just has a fancy name. If the publisher decides they want to accept it, awesome, they will get into the cool list of Smart Delivery games in the Xbox blog. That's it.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
To all here who are calling this move scummy, bullshit, shitty, etc.

Free nextgen version via Smart Delivery/Crossbuy is a option for the devs, not a right for the users.

Remedy is a small independent studio that needs money coming in to keep the lights running. Their last few games were linear singleplayer games that WERE NOT HITS [Alan Wake was on discounts ever since it launched, they've given it away for few bucks many times just to keep the IP alive, Quantum Break was far away from a big seller, and by the time Control came they were forced to move a lot of their workforce to farm out SP campaign for Crossfire].

I would rather see them ignore SD/Crossbuy then be forced to be downsize.
The fact that they're currently only offering an upgrade to one set of people who might own the exact same content but not another by virtue of the fact that they got the one named 'Ultimate Edition' at a later date is the issue here. That's shitty - the reaction might not be positive but would certainly be a lot better if they said everyone had to pay a flat upgrade fee.

It's also marketing their DLC in a Playstation showcase as available soon and advertising the season pass on PS4 and then announcing this a week or so later.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that they're currently only offering an upgrade to one set of people who might own the exact same content but not another by virtue of the fact that they got the one named 'Ultimate Edition' at a later date is the issue here. That's shitty - the reaction might not be positive but would certainly be a lot better if they said everyone had to pay a flat upgrade fee.
Ah, different upgrade path for different users. Got it.

Well, they should have included Season Pass users I guess. Maybe their publisher is to be blamed here [the game was not self-published]?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I bought the Season Pass in response to the AWE trailer at the Sony conference. This seems to make any Season Pass purchase redundant/wasted, if you intend to play the next-gen version. That's a super bummer, and it's hard not to feel hostile toward 505 Games for the decision.

zJAJKbX.png
Oh yeah, I`ve totally forgotten, they`ve shown that AWE trailer just a few days ago. That makes this even worse, like "get hyped and buy the game or the season pass (or both) now, before we tell you, that you`ll get next gen improvements only if you buy a different version of the same content. Fucking hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Not cool. I already Platted the game, so I'm not personally affected, but this type of stuff should be standardized for recent and upcoming releases. I'm sure more people will buy the games if they see they'll get upgraded to next-gen versions for free.

Oct 27, 2017
They never did, it was always down to publishers but due to pr spin and hardcore xbox fans it seems many lost that fact in the process.
Yeah I remembered some members on here were dissing Sony because they haven't announced something equivalent to Smart Delivery for the PS5 and at that time they make it seems like is a game changer features for next gen and is mandated by MS on all their next gen titles.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty low rent. I was waiting for next gen to play this game anyway--doesn't this game still have mediocre performance on the base PS4? Pretty scummy to not address that and burn your early adopters by not fully addressing that and charging for a platform upgrade.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because I was contemplating buying Control recently because I was expecting the next-gen upgrade to be the ideal way to experience the game, but now this just completely killed my mood for it and I'd rather wait for it to inevitably end up on PS+.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I bought the deluxe/season pass included version Day 1.

What a nice 'fuck you for your support'.
I know what I will do in the future..