• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If I could take a crack at guessing a non-money-related reasoning for this, I'd imagine it's:

The next-gen versions of Control are exclusively the Ultimate Edition, which includes the two expansions built into the game.

The original Control does not include these two expansions.

I do think they should be able to verify whether someone has purchased both expansions / the Season Pass and allow users to upgrade based on that, but maybe it's more complicated than that, I dunno.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt the game run at 15 fps on base consoles?

You gotta wonder why the critics didnt take that into account when nominating it for goty awards left and right.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Bought the game for my Xbox. Got halfway through before dropping it. Found it dull. Still, no free Smart Delivery is lame.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I suspect this is going to happen a lot going into next-gen...
want a PS5 or Xbox Series X upgrade? Pay!

tenor.gif

(Though I kind of feel bad for Remedy in this case for being independant and all the difficulties that come with that... plus, I love Finland.)

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, that is bullshit. The game played poorly on the PS4 and I was waiting for this so I could complete it with better performance. Guess that's not happening.

I guess it might have better/smoother performance on the new systems via BC ('boost modes') anyway? Depending on how the game works.

Of course an actual next-gen build would be better, but maybe not all hope is lost for better performance.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nah fuck that

I'd pay about £5-£8 surcharge for an upgrade patch max if it offered decent changes. Blocking me off entirely, that's a big yikes

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it launching on Steam before other platforms? I just get shit on for supporting them by buying the Epic store version? Nah, this is a hard pass.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They can fuck right off with this, seriously. I'd happily wait to play on PS5 if I were getting the update for free with my regular PS4 copy. Maybe in your shittiness offer it to those who bought the Season Pass as well, which would still be shitty, but at least a little less shitty than this.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yeah. We should be blaming 505 games. Remedy probably has no say in the matter

For them, it is probably their "last chance" to make money from the Remedy partnership, since we know their next games will be with Epic (and it was definitely one of their most high-profile games as a publisher so far). Not that I am defending them, mind you.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I could take a crack at guessing a non-money-related reasoning for this, I'd imagine it's:

The next-gen versions of Control are exclusively the Ultimate Edition, which includes the two expansions built into the game.

The original Control does not include these two expansions.

I do think they should be able to verify whether someone has purchased both expansions / the Season Pass and allow users to upgrade based on that, but maybe it's more complicated than that, I dunno.
Why should I have to buy the expansions to play the game I already own in an upgraded fashion, when it's going to be made/available anyway?

When those settings have always been available on PC anyway?

Nah this is just anti-consumer and garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Did not run particularly well on consoles.
2. Timed exclusive DLC earlier this year.
3. 'Free' upgrades hidden behind a Definitive Edition purchase.

A very enjoyable game marred by all of the above. They're certainly running the gamut.

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
I assume the next gen versions are the complete/ultimate editions, thus if you want to use your vanilla Control from current gen, you need to get all the DLC to be equal to next gen Control in terms of content. Not a great look regardless.

Cheat Code

Oct 30, 2017
Chances are that the only SKU available for next-gen will be the version bundled with all the DLC already, so they can't really offer an upgrade from base game to base game + expansions for free.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The Ultimate Edition isn't available yet. You probably bought the Deluxe Edition, which has the exact same stuff, but won't get the free upgrade to the PS5 SKU.
Yes, you are correct. Just checked and it was the deluxe. My bad. Where do I sign the "WTF Remedy/ 505 Games" petition?!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Not really sure why people are shitting on Remedy, no matter what you think about this. They are the developer, 505 is the publisher. It's the publisher who normally decides these things. I'd be surprised if they didn't change their approach during the next few days after seeing how much they are shitting on the goodwill they created for this game.

Anyway, it sucks but I kind of get it? The game came out in August 2019 - over 1 year before the next gen consoles launched, before they were even announced. I find it hard to believe that anyone bought that game expecting to play it on next-gen instead, Remedy themselves probably didn't know what to do with the game at this point yet. It would make sense to ask for an upgrade fee in this case, at least to me.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. If there are upgrades beyond the current PC version I hope my EGS copy gets them.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Stopped playing due to bad PS4 performance and hope for a next gen version. This is truly shit.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Lame as fuck remedy

yell at 505

maybe they will reverse it after the ultimate edition has been out for a little

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Why are so many people directing their snark at the devs? This sounds like a publisher thing. What does Remedy have to do with it?

davygee

Jun 13, 2020
Should we realistically expect companies to provide free next gen upgrades for current games? I don't think so.

Yes, on the surface this appears to a crappy move, but we don't know how much work the dev team need to put in to get this game looking and playing better on next gen consoles.

Maybe this is similar to The Last of Us from PS3 > PS4?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
If they make the existing Control not backwards compatible then that's awful. If they allow that and are adding extra man hours to a new product then it's whatever.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ahahaha, I like that the trash dev responsible for that poor excuse of a port for the PS4 is the first ones to make you pay twice for a game during a BC generation. "If you want to play our game in a playable state, buy it again, this time we will get it right".
Fuck you Remedy, you scummy fucks.
Man, you really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Expected that this would happen for some games. If the effort to improve things (and this game is one that with RT and physics will probably be bigger than the usual resolution or framerate bump) is costly, doesn't make sense to be free honestly. Devs must get paid for their work.

davygee

Jun 13, 2020
Should we realistically expect companies to provide free next gen upgrades for current games? I don't think so.

Yes, on the surface this appears to a crappy move, but we don't know how much work the dev team need to put in to get this game looking and playing better on next gen consoles.

Maybe this is similar to The Last of Us from PS3 > PS4?

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Bought the original game and dlc so essentially the ultimate edition, nice way to be rewarded.

(Sarcasm to be clear).

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I adore Control, but it's not exactly a game that can afford to piss away goodwill. Just grabbed the season pass on sale a couple weeks back and was looking forward to a full playthrough + expansions on PS5

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So the Ultimate edition is a new SKU? Meaning if you bought the game at launch with the season pass (like I did), you get nothing for next gen? I would have to repurchase the entire game again!? That is primo bullshit.

Hoping it's BC with the PS5, and it has a boost mode. Maybe that'll help.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Wait this Ultimate edition is a new SKU entirely? Meaning you have to pay what'll probably be $40+ for next gen upgrades to a game some bought at full price and got the DLC for? What a fucking bullshit move.

fiveshift

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2018
Really poor move on them.

I was afraid this might happen so I delayed purchases of several games late this gen that I thought would benefit much better on next gen consoles. (Including this one)

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand why this is an issue, at least in principle. If Remedy have put in additional work to take advantage of new pieces of hardware, it isn't unreasonable that you should have to pay for it. If you want to play the PS4 version on your PS5, or the Xbox One version on your Xbox Series X, you can, with whatever boosts are provided automatically.

Am I misunderstanding some aspect of this?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Lame. The Series X/PS5 versions better be mindblowingly good. I'm expecting raytracing.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Chances are that the only SKU available for next-gen will be the version bundled with all the DLC already, so they can't really offer an upgrade from base game to base game + expansions for free.

Sure they can. They can have you upgrade from the store (Xbox/PS) or send you a message with a free code like SuperHot just did.

I don't really understand why this is an issue, at least in principle. If Remedy have put in additional work to take advantage of new pieces of hardware, it isn't unreasonable that you should have to pay for it. If you want to play the PS4 version on your PS5, or the Xbox One version on your Xbox Series X, you can, with whatever boosts are provided automatically.

Showing some love to people who bought your game at launch might not be a bad idea but then again they think these are the folks most likely to buy the ultimate edition anyhow.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Serious question: what if the game is added on Game Pass, like before the end of the year. Would this mean it's only available on one console??

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so if I purchased the base game + season pass, I don't own the Ultimate Edition? That's unbelievable. What an incredibly scummy move.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why should I have to buy the expansions to play the game I already own in an upgraded fashion, when it's going to be made/available anyway?

When those settings have always been available on PC anyway?

Nah this is just anti-consumer and garbage.

Because the next-gen versions have the expansions built-in, they're not separate. And when you bought Control, you were buying it for PS4 or Xbox One - PS5 and Xbox Series X versions didn't exist. Free upgrades are nice and a great courtesy to your user base, but companies are by no means obligated to offer them.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
so they want me to pay 40,- for the same content i already own? are they fuckin nuts?
i would be ok with a 10,- upgrade to next-gen but this is just a slap in the face to everyone who supported the game.