• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome mechanics, awesome visuals/art, but lots of annoyances. First off the map sucks, I couldn't figure out what level was what or how to get to particular spot. Another thing that sucks is it'll mark the area you have to go but not where you go from there, which leads you to a ton of useless running through empty rooms. I finished the platinum, but god damn do the fetch quests like cleaning the mold suck.

I also don't think it's possible
to legitimately get the first hidden area in the executive area. It used to be possible with ground pound but they've patched that out. You can try stacking vending machines but it's ridiculously wonky and glitchy, the only real way to get it is to jump off a floating body which may or may not be in the proper spot to get you there.
Whoever came up with that idea... What the fuck were you thinking.

You can stack 3 vending machines on the cabinets right against the pillar that it's up on. There is one right beside it and two more around close by around a corner. They always orient upright and if you just hit square while you are holding them it just drops them. Wasn't too bad, took two attempts to stack 3 of them and I made it.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
This game ain't easy. Getting my butt kicked with the first flying boss.

The constant frame drops on the PS4 ain't helping.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Focus your ability points largely on launch, although you can sprinkle in health and energy as well (don't worry about any others until those three are maxed out). Launch is really your most important weapon in the game as it does huge chunks of damage to everything.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017

There boss fight is broken garbage.

Shortly before that fight you get the launch ability but you basically can't use it since Tomassi has the dodge ability and avoids almost everything you throw at him. However, it's too early in the game for you to have unlocked your own dodge ability so he kicks your ass with what he throws at you.

You basically have to climb up somewhere high in that room and cheese it by getting into a spot where all his projectiles hit the wall in front of you but you can chip away at his shoulder with your gun.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Focus your ability points largely on launch, although you can sprinkle in health and energy as well (don't worry about any others until those three are maxed out). Launch is really your most important weapon in the game as it does huge chunks of damage to everything.
That early in the game you have no real options besides hiding behind stuff to not get hit. That boss fight is, arguably, the only time you'll ever actually use cover.

Shortly before that fight you get the launch ability but you basically can't use it since Tomassi has the dodge ability and avoids almost everything you throw at him. However, it's too early in the game for you to have unlocked your own dodge ability so he kicks your ass with what he throws at you.

You basically have to climb up somewhere high in that room and cheese it by getting into a spot where all his projectiles hit the wall in front of you but you can chip away at his shoulder with your gun.

Thank you all. Managed to beat him by basically sticking to cover and using the gun. The fact you only get health from those dropouts when you kill a regular enemy made this harder than it could've been.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

It's not a very well balanced game...which Im guessing is why they just went ahead and put in an immortality mode in the options.

He never dodges the second item you launch at him.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you all. Managed to beat him by basically sticking to cover and using the gun. The fact you only get health from those dropouts when you kill a regular enemy made this harder than it could've been.

One bit of advice - later on, when that kind of enemy becomes a normal mob you see all the time, they're stunned when you break their shield. That means they won't dodge out of the way of whatever you throw at them and a fully levelled Launch will oneshot them easily.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far but Control very well might be the easiest game I've played in the last year. The enemy encounters are a joke. The combat is becoming almost tedious at this point rather than challenging or entertaining.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game and I can't remember the last time i died. Between launch and Pierce you can basically one shot any enemy. 🤷‍♂️ each encounter is just going through the motions so I can move on to the next area.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So I'm reflecting back on my time playing through the game and there is one thing looking back that I'm very confused by.

Early on they make a pretty deliberate point to tutorialize that "Jesse can't hurt gold enemies!" Yet thinking back I never actually ran into gold enemies other than like the handful of times you end up in the astral plane most of which are just very staged showpieces for each of the powers. I'm confused why they made such and effort early on to tutoralize that but then never actually had gold enemies as something you encounter on a semi-regular basis.
This message is obviously just to tell the player "don't try to shoot those enemies, we want you to use your newly unlocked abilities to get past this encounter"....

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I'd still be looking at the controller readings from Windows. Maybe the DualSense has an issue with 'negative deadzone' where the it doesn't correctly register when the stick is fully on the outside? And Control might just require it to be that much further out than other games? I'm not saying it isn't a bug, but so far we can't rule out hardware failure yet.
How can I do that? Thanks for the suggestion!

Neon Octopus

Nov 21, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far but Control very well might be the easiest game I've played in the last year. The enemy encounters are a joke. The combat is becoming almost tedious at this point rather than challenging or entertaining.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the game and I can't remember the last time i died. Between launch and Pierce you can basically one shot any enemy. 🤷‍♂️ each encounter is just going through the motions so I can move on to the next area.

Maybe try something besides launch+pierce

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Fininshed the AWE DLC today and with that I am done with the game. I had my doubts at the beginning, but the game won me over, and turned out of my favorites experiences. The gameplay is fantastic and the "weird" was amazing. I rarely play DLCs for any game, but when I finished the main story, all I could think was to keep playing.

Edit. My only complain would be that the last boss in the AWE expansion was kinda annoying.

Threshold Kids are the scariest part about this game lol

I swear, those clips are legit scary lol

Best part 👌

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Base game done. I really enjoyed it and I might have even come around to the navigation system. I think it's still obtuse for no reason, and I'd much rather a map that can explode out, but the wayfinding with signs began making sense. Just a lot later than I had hoped in the playthrough.

I didn't read all the collectables so I still don't have a handle on the story (it's eerie and that's it's biggest plus) but the gameplay loop was amazing and that was enough for me. Top tier third person shooter from a combat aspect. Soundtrack/sound design was great too. Using "launch" never got tiring because the sound of pulling a giant ass block sounded, looked and felt satisfying. Level design was unique as well. I really enjoyed the "Inception" vibe I got from the shifting/rotating rooms and hallways.

I swear, those clips are legit scary lol

I can't remember the location but the clip that had the dude
yell "NO INTERRUPTIONS" got me. I was way too high for that shit at 1AM lol.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Is it probable that the black crush problem on the PS5 version is going to get corrected in a patch, or should we just assume it's not worth the effort to fix and play the game as is, with elevated brightness to compensate?

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Is it probable that the black crush problem on the PS5 version is going to get corrected in a patch, or should we just assume it's not worth the effort to fix and play the game as is, with elevated brightness to compensate?
It'll likely get corrected via patch but changing the in-game brightness slider to 66-68 produces a near identical image to the Series X version. Play the game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Doing the Foundation DLC but the game annoyed me a lot tonight. Two quests glitched on me. The "swift platform" one had the "third act villain" boss literally disappear on me with a sliver of HP left (I stuck around for several minutes and nothing happened), forcing me to reload... then I died. Twice. This quest was charming at first with the synthwave pink neon thing but I quickly soured on it. Having what's basically
a 5 minute unskippable cut scene (because let's face it the start of the quest is brain-dead easy) only to face a boss that can 2hko you
is not good game design or fun at all.

Then, later, the ID card quest glitched on me too. The objective won't update after picking up the last card and guides tell me I'm meant to insert them in terminals but I didn't have the prompts. I got fed up and quit the game, but googling, there might be a way to reset it somehow. I'll try that later, but that's very annoying, even if it's a side-quest.

I liked the game but it's kiiinda overstaying its welcome I think. I'm ready to be done with it now...

So that's why this game is so damn dark... >.>

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Threshold Kids are the scariest part about this game lol
NO INTERRUPTIONS!!

Btw, the only enemy type I wish I could erase from the game completely is the screaming suicide bomb ones, not because they're hard or anything, but because their constant screaming is fucking annoying after the first encounter and they keep showing up everywhere...

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the base game yesterday and I liked it. I am not sure about the story as a whole but the lore tidbits scattered throughout the game were great. I could read them all day. The gameplay is the star of this game with its cool physics and fast combat.
Now onto all the sidequests I left behind and the dlc of course.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Doing the Foundation DLC but the game annoyed me a lot tonight. Two quests glitched on me. The "swift platform" one had the "third act villain" boss literally disappear on me with a sliver of HP left (I stuck around for several minutes and nothing happened), forcing me to reload... then I died. Twice. This quest was charming at first with the synthwave pink neon thing but I quickly soured on it. Having what's basically
a 5 minute unskippable cut scene (because let's face it the start of the quest is brain-dead easy) only to face a boss that can 2hko you
is not good game design or fun at all.

Then, later, the ID card quest glitched on me too. The objective won't update after picking up the last card and guides tell me I'm meant to insert them in terminals but I didn't have the prompts. I got fed up and quit the game, but googling, there might be a way to reset it somehow. I'll try that later, but that's very annoying, even if it's a side-quest.

I liked the game but it's kiiinda overstaying its welcome I think. I'm ready to be done with it now...

So that's why this game is so damn dark... >.>
I had the same glitch. Fixed it by going to the locations of the first cards and picking them up again, for some reason they got wiped from my inventory.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Wish this game had like, half the encounter rate.
I love the game and its combat overall, but I agree with this. They should have gone further with the metroidvania aspect and less so with the encounters. Almost every room feels like it's filled with enemies and at a certain point you're going through the motions to get past them.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

I had the exact same thing happen to me and it didn't resolve itself until I beat the DLC and then went back to the area.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I am obsessed with this game. It's the first time in a long time I ate up whatever a game is selling me, lore and everything. I read every single document I picked up and it was worth it, honestly. There were SO many of them in the AWE DLC that I almost gave up on reading them.

I thought the DLCs were a couple of notches down in quality and a bunch of notches up in difficulty overall. I feel like most of my weapons were not as effective with all the level 8 and 9 enemies. I didn't bother with jukebox missions so maybe I don't have any good mods.

The difficulty can be uneven and out of balance sometimes and it can taint the experience. Tomassi early on was pretty rough. The final big encounter just went on way too long, and The Foundation's final boss, in particular, was a rough time for me.

It's not a perfect game by any measure but damn if I don't love it and want to forgive anything bad that it does. The art, music, and brutalist style architecture are just incredible.

Edit: I forgot to add how it blows my mind that some of the better content is hidden away as side quests or tucked away in some notes. It makes me feel uneasy that I could've missed out on some good interesting content, but at the same time admire their bold decision of hiding that stuff away to encourage exploration and not force it on everyone.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I am obsessed with this game. It's the first time in a long time I ate up whatever a game is selling me, lore and everything. I read every single document I picked up and it was worth it, honestly. There were SO many of them in the AWE DLC that I almost gave up on reading them.

I thought the DLCs were a couple of notches down in quality and a bunch of notches up in difficulty overall. I feel like most of my weapons were not as effective with all the level 8 and 9 enemies. I didn't bother with jukebox missions so maybe I don't have any good mods.

The difficulty can be uneven and out of balance sometimes and it can taint the experience. Tomassi early on was pretty rough. The final big encounter just went on way too long, and The Foundation's final boss, in particular, was a rough time for me.

It's not a perfect game by any measure but damn if I don't love it and want to forgive anything bad that it does. The art, music, and brutalist style architecture are just incredible.

Edit: I forgot to add how it blows my mind that some of the better content is hidden away as side quests or tucked away in some notes. It makes me feel uneasy that I could've missed out on some good interesting content, but at the same time admire their bold decision of hiding that stuff away to encourage exploration and not force it on everyone.

My thoughts exactly on the game.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Started it about an hour ago. Since I have it on both XSX and PS5 I'm going to start with the XSX version using the GRAPHICS mode for that RT goodness and then when I play the PS5 version I'll go with Performance mode since I'll have already experienced the story. So far I'm in love with it as usual with Remedy games. Sam Lake has a very particular style and I can't get enough of. Alan Wake 2 one day please. One day.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Woof, the Jukebox is no fun at all. I played the game as-is until I tried that particular activity. Shortly thereafter, I acquainted myself with the assist menu.

Doesn't help that most all of the special mods you get there appear to be nigh worthless stuff like "refund 12% ammo when you take damage from one specific enemy type". Even if the mod itself wasn't terrible, you've only got three slots for these things, not nearly enough for incremental, highly situational improvements.

I'm finding that most of the game's subsystems are just terribly designed. It's fortunate that it has such strong bones and presentation, but you'd think these UI-heavy, value-tweaking things would be the least difficult aspects to get wrong, or at least more accessible to tuning without as much of a headache.

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
WIll keep that in mind. I'll also focus my ability points on the launch skill then.
I only just got to containment, to search you know who but launch feels already OP. Almost maxed launch (without extras except grenade/missile throwback) and energy and most encounters are solved by force pushing everything to death.

Jay-T

Oct 28, 2017
Completed the main game last night - the last two missions were better than the majority of the game, the ashtray maze and the ending part were amazing.

The game got significantly easier once I've upgraded the launch ability but it still was somewhat unexpectedly challenging. overall it was enjoyable with some annoying parts (some side missions like the mold hosts is not really fun)

Darling is by far my favorite character in the game.

I'll play the Foundation and AWE next (already started AWE).

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the mission Polaris and now the game is seemingly stuck on the loading screen with the bar filled about 10%. Do i need to restart or this is the longest loading screen in history?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that's a little bit of a bummer is that, because I already beat the game once, it's a lot easier the second time through. I haven't died once and I've even going around killing all the optional bosses, some of which I remember caused me problems before.

I dunno if it's because I already beat the game so I know what I'm doing or if the PS4 version just performed so badly it made the game harder. 😂

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Started it last night on Series X.

How do people play this on graphics mode, the loss of frames was too jarring for me. 60 fps looks supreme.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017

How do people play this on graphics mode, the loss of frames was too jarring for me. 60 fps looks supreme.
I feel like 30FPS is badly implemented in Control. If it was like TLOU2, God of War or Spider-Man last gen I would play in graphics mode because the ray tracing is so cool.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021

Yup. Agreed with every word. It's a special game for me, and will probably go down as one of my favourite third-person shooters ever. Like top 3 easily.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

Plays supreme sure but definitely not "looks". Don't get me wrong the 60fps is nice and smooth but it's not like the graphics mode is a stuttering mess. It's a locked 30 and the RT is sexy as hell. The reflections and shadows are just insane compared to the 60 FPS mode and rightfully so since you're losing 30 extra fps. There are times where I'm like wow this looks so good let me see what this looks like in performance mode so I turn it on and it just loses the shadows or reflections entirely. It's not like they are replaced with lesser versions.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

The 30fps mode is horrid. Honestly made me feel ill. Never get that problem with other 30fps third person games. Camera jitter is horrible. Looks nice in screenshots though. Never notice raytracing when your sprinting around shooting at stuff which is what you are doing 90% of the time. Never worth the sacrifice in frames.