• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gumshoe

Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing through this on PS5 while my partner watches and we've been having a blast!

Too bad our DS5 has started acting up with the left stick drifting downward. I really don't want to scrap a modification by accident, so we're unfortunately gonna have to take a break from playing.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They're not really as good as the main game but they're not too long, either, and you do get some new toys to play with.

Cool, thanks. I only wanted to try it on the ps5 for the ray tracing upgrade, and I'm actually having a lot of fun with it again, so I was wondering whether I should replay it for the expansions. I might just do that.

Nov 16, 2017
I really love the combat in this game. It feels like what a Jedi would be in the modern world. The story is ok, it doesn't touch Alan Wake for me. The game does crash pretty often on on Series X, which is the only bad thing I can say about it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I finished this last night. Got the post-game DLC "Foundation" left which I just started. I guess maybe I can retry the Expeditions and the Deadline part of Shüm but I probably won't bother.

Good game overall, I was very much not interested at first as I felt the setting seemed boring, but I'm glad they gave it for free so I could try it with an open mind. The environments that often look boring in screenshots are actually more fun to walk around in motion, for instance. 8/10

Just started this today, ok the story so far sounds utterly awful so hope it picks up. Not feeling the movement yet. Doesn't feel super responsive
Are you playing in performance mode? It's pretty responsive for me.

a lack of clarity with regard to whether missions are main missions or side missions
...I don't understand how anyone could be confused here, ngl. And I didn't pay tons of attention to the story and ignored most of the documents/etc.

. The trillion notes laying around, I just can't with that stuff, please let this trend die forever.
Just started AWE yesterday, feels like I can't take steps before running into another thing to read. It's getting kinda ridiculous.
Yeah I didn't read a single one lol. Every now and then I peek at one document, read the first two lines, then my eyes glaze over and I close it. I can't imagine how long the game would take if one were to read every single one.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Oh yeah, was I the only one who thought the Astral Plane fridge boss was very reminiscent of Umi-Bozu in Nioh? 👀

Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of which is Surge useful? I cant see it being very fun to play with...but maybe that changes once you get the right mods on it.
I liked it, thought it was pretty useful against the enemies that could turn invisible as I could control when to trigger the explosion and basically check where they were.

Yeah I didn't read a single one lol. Every now and then I peek at one document, read the first two lines, then my eyes glaze over and I close it. I can't imagine how long the game would take if one were to read every single one.
It's the best part of the game tho!

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

I have a strange compulsion to collect everything single thing in a level that's at least easily visible and read them if they are documents. I'm reading them but not really retaining any info...but it's a huge annoyance honestly. Really wish devs would find a better way to convey Story\Lore. Metroid Prime 4 and Doom Eternal were torture due to how much reading stuff interrupted the flow of gameplay. Control is almost just as bad but at least the documents are not as long as some of the stuff in Doom Eternal. Destiny and Bloodborne\Souls games are examples of games that do it right for the most part.

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
Finished this last night, I really wanted to like it but it just didn't resonate with me, the plot was just not my kinda plot but I've been curious about it for some time so getting to experience it through PS+ was ideal.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
...I don't understand how anyone could be confused here, ngl. And I didn't pay tons of attention to the story and ignored most of the documents/etc.
There's no rhyme or reason to when side missions appear, and I've had them pop up right as the main mission switches over, which leads to confusion. Furthermore, the side missions that don't pop up at those times by coincidence still aren't specifically described as optional. Look at DOOM [2016] as an example as to how optional challenges should be handled. They're clearly designated with portals. Control just throws side missions at you seemingly at random, and it does an abysmal job of explaining what you're supposed to do and whether you HAVE to do it.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm really enjoying this game especially the notes and multimedia. But I did the mould mission last night and it's not just me that that particular mission was garbage, right? Like finding the mould samples, whilst the floor is lava and the enemies respawn?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Awesome mechanics, awesome visuals/art, but lots of annoyances. First off the map sucks, I couldn't figure out what level was what or how to get to particular spot. Another thing that sucks is it'll mark the area you have to go but not where you go from there, which leads you to a ton of useless running through empty rooms. I finished the platinum, but god damn do the fetch quests like cleaning the mold suck.

I also don't think it's possible
to legitimately get the first hidden area in the executive area. It used to be possible with ground pound but they've patched that out. You can try stacking vending machines but it's ridiculously wonky and glitchy, the only real way to get it is to jump off a floating body which may or may not be in the proper spot to get you there.
Whoever came up with that idea... What the fuck were you thinking.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I finished this last night. Got the post-game DLC "Foundation" left which I just started. I guess maybe I can retry the Expeditions and the Deadline part of Shüm but I probably won't bother.

Good game overall, I was very much not interested at first as I felt the setting seemed boring, but I'm glad they gave it for free so I could try it with an open mind. The environments that often look boring in screenshots are actually more fun to walk around in motion, for instance. 8/10

Are you playing in performance mode? It's pretty responsive for me.

Glad you stuck with it, and ended up enjoying it.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
So I walked into a toilet near the mailroom on PS5 performance mode and everything looked all grainy and weird. Is this a graphical glitch?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
There's no rhyme or reason to when side missions appear, and I've had them pop up right as the main mission switches over, which leads to confusion. Furthermore, the side missions that don't pop up at those times by coincidence still aren't specifically described as optional. Look at DOOM [2016] as an example as to how optional challenges should be handled. They're clearly designated with portals. Control just throws side missions at you seemingly at random, and it does an abysmal job of explaining what you're supposed to do and whether you HAVE to do it.
I don't know what to tell you. Those missions that pop at random are clearly optional. They are timed, and you fail them if you die, but they come back regularly, and have no story attached to them, so clearly they're just optional objectives you can ignore as you please. Sorry but it's a weird complaint to me.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Started playing this for the first time yesterday. Got up to where you get the evade move and man, I'm blown the fuck away.

Game plays like a dream at 60fps, too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thought I was doing fine until I made it to the investigations area. Feels like the difficulty ramped up but I'm not ready to give up on the mission.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Having fun, but combat can be a bit iffy. I find the damage I take goes from nothing to absurd amounts in no time flat, with little clear rhyme or reason. And the health dropped from enemies is inconsistent and often too paltry to help. Plus you have to go and get it, which isn't always feasible. I think I would have preferred a mix of regeneration and pickups, where you regenerate to a certain threshold and have to find pickups to heal further. Keeping track of enemies can be a mess too. They often get lost, and I'm only made aware of their continued presence by the combat encounter music.

The upgrade/crafting system seems poorly thought out too, or at least, when tied into some exploration stuff. I find myself discovering secret caches using levitation, but because the secret caches are in Executive or Maintenance or whatever, I'm often rewarded with materials that have long outlived their use. I can't imagine any players are still trying to craft shatter, the first grip upgrade, or common mods by the time they can levitate. Occasionally you get a designated hidden area with an ability point as a reward, but not often enough.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone, pls anyone knows how to fix this sprint glitch?

At first it was only a nuisance, and I had to press the thumb stick all the time to run.

But now as I get further on the game and it gets harder it's starting to get in my way and I've gotten killed for it.

Not only that but it's affecting Jesse walking as well and even the "fast" walk when you don't press the stick just push it all the way is getting glitched too...

Ir's getting worse and it's screwing my enjoyment of the game...

I tried everything, reloading the game, exiting the game. I deleted and downloaded the whole game again...don't know what to do anymore...

Playing on a PS5...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm reflecting back on my time playing through the game and there is one thing looking back that I'm very confused by.

Early on they make a pretty deliberate point to tutorialize that "Jesse can't hurt gold enemies!" Yet thinking back I never actually ran into gold enemies other than like the handful of times you end up in the astral plane most of which are just very staged showpieces for each of the powers. I'm confused why they made such and effort early on to tutoralize that but then never actually had gold enemies as something you encounter on a semi-regular basis.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm reflecting back on my time playing through the game and there is one thing looking back that I'm very confused by.

Early on they make a pretty deliberate point to tutorialize that "Jesse can't hurt gold enemies!" Yet thinking back I never actually ran into gold enemies other than like the handful of times you end up in the astral plane most of which are just very staged showpieces for each of the powers. I'm confused why they made such and effort early on to tutoralize that but then never actually had gold enemies as something you encounter on a semi-regular basis.
They're only used as a tutorial mechanic, specifically to show you that there are other ways of hurting enemies, or force you to use defensive abilities in a tutorialized setting.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Finally got the platinum that those stupid bureau alerts robbed me on ps4! Playing at 60fps was transformative, also enjoyed Foundation quite a bit (I like Former, what can I say).

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the DLC on PC and I've gotta say I really liked The Foundation's locale and notes/audio logs but the "gimmick" behind it was kind of half-baked. It did have a lot of cool little optional puzzles hidden throughout that I bet most people wouldn't even notice lol. I'm not sure if that's a negative but I at least managed to find all of them on my own except for 1 very odd thing you had to do. There is also one little oversight with a small platforming segment at a fire break where you have to land at an angle or you can never reach enough height that I'm sure will trip some people up.

AWE DLC wasn't quite as interesting an area and the Alan Wake bits were lame (never liked Alan Wake) but I did like some of its encounters that made you use your head rather than just fight waves of enemies. It didn't really have any interesting optional puzzles though and the mods you start getting once you start the DLC are all trash except for a particular unique one tied to a sidequest.

Last edited:

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Anyone, pls anyone knows how to fix this sprint glitch?

At first it was only a nuisance, and I had to press the thumb stick all the time to run.

But now as I get further on the game and it gets harder it's starting to get in my way and I've gotten killed for it.

Not only that but it's affecting Jesse walking as well and even the "fast" walk when you don't press the stick just push it all the way is getting glitched too...

Ir's getting worse and it's screwing my enjoyment of the game...

I tried everything, reloading the game, exiting the game. I deleted and downloaded the whole game again...don't know what to do anymore...

Playing on a PS5...
Maybe it's your controller?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Just started this, really cool so far. Jesse sure does love monologuing, her VA sure had work to do for this role.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the first DLC, Foundation, it was pretty nice. Much meatier than I expected tbh, and while it's a bit "more of the same" most of the time, I really liked the location it takes place. New ability was fun too, though a bit limited.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, it works perfectly for everything else...plus another poster had the same problem but managed to fix it with a reload...but that isn't working for me.
I'd still be looking at the controller readings from Windows. Maybe the DualSense has an issue with 'negative deadzone' where the it doesn't correctly register when the stick is fully on the outside? And Control might just require it to be that much further out than other games? I'm not saying it isn't a bug, but so far we can't rule out hardware failure yet.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Holy fuck I just took down a boss that was annoying as shit to kill, took me over 10 tries before I got it. Enjoying this game much more than I was expecting though.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Finished a full replay of the game after launch, playing on PS5 (playing mostly using the 30fps RT mode). I still love it so much. It's very rare for me that I like a game on a replay just as much as the first time, but this one managed it.

Which makes it extra disappointing that I didn't really like either of the two DLCs, with it being even more surprising given how much I was looking forward to AWE as an Alan Wake fan.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
That game is great and I enjoy it but dying feels so bad in this game. First you have to endure a lengthy loading screen (on PS4) and then you start at the last control point which is accompanied by some little freezes. It always breaks my immersion and feels so bad. This game was definitely not made for PS4.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
Those timed missions are basically a grind for resources and you can skip them without any consequences.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Just 100% the PS5 version. Had it on PS4 for ages but never got to it. Glad I waited. After testing, performance mode all the way with no motion blur and it plays and looks gorgeous.

As for the game, I loved it. The notes and lore are fantastic, love the videos and weirdness of the game and Jessie is a cool character. The DLC was good too, I like the way Alan Wake was tied in and hints towards a sequel in Foundation.

That said every boss fight so to speak was terrible except Hartman in the AWE DLC and the map is the worst I've seen in any game ever.

Overall though it was brilliant and I hope it gets a sequel.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm playing through The Foundation, and it's wearing thin for me. There are some parts in that DLC that just start to feel a bit tedious, and I don't find the environment as interesting in general as those in the main game.

I'm hoping AWE is more interesting simply because I love Alan Wake so much, but I don't know if that's setting myself up for disappointment.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Gotta say that, while I liked the story development of Foundation, the lore about the FBC and the Board, AWE so far doesn't make much for me. And the enemies become too spongey for the game.
The
camera altered item
was silly fun.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Boy this game really drops the ball at the end doesn't it. Have enjoyed it a lot and was decently keeping up with things via lore collectibles and what not, but the story and gameplay itself in the end are really turning me off. I'm pretty much done at this point but still have the DLC left... are those worth playing?

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else had the game crash to dashboard playing with graphics(ray tracing) setting on XSX?

Not sure if it's a game problem or faulty XSX.
Same thing happened with cold war with ray tracing enabled.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else had the game crash to dashboard playing with graphics(ray tracing) setting on XSX?

Not sure if it's a game problem or faulty XSX.
Same thing happened with cold war with ray tracing enabled.
Happens in both modes and I think others have had the same issues in the thread, it crashes somewhat often for me. Once or twice per session.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm loving this game more than I thought. Also, after completing the main story I realized it'll be an easy platinum, so I'm going to go for it 😊

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone else experiencing terrible brightness values in this game? Had brightness at default 50 and and some parts of the game were pitch black. Adjusted brightness to 75 which made icons match Remedy's recommendations. But now lights are way too bright, especially in smaller rooms with ceiling lights. So either the dark areas are too dark, or bright areas are too bright. Never had this issue with any other game so it's not my tv.