• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I Finished mission 5 and really loving it so far
My biggest complaint is the map, is so bad to follow it
Why do a "metroidvania" game with a shitty map?

Yup, just started mission 3 and the map is just... awful....

other than that - loving it. Dual sense haptics and triggers feel great so far.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get how input lag is glossed over. Like its the most important thing. You know. Controling and playing the bloody game.
Been waiting for the next gen upgrade forever to enjoy this. Was really hyped. For it to turn into sluggish piece of garbage.
Fuck input lag. I can't enjoy this how hard I try to.
Not judging anyone. Just want to vent. Extremely frustrated and disappointed.

Jun 6, 2018
The game feels quite bland in gameplay to me but this is the first ps5 title I've played where performance mode just does not compete with resolution. The reflections and lighting are absolutely superb! I never thought I would choose 30fps but it's night and day.

I just wish I could enjoy the game more

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I played for 4 hours today, and suffered through 5 crashes. All after opening the menus. I played cyberpunk for 70 hours over 2 aythroughs and it only ever crashed 5 times total. Which is not good, but a far cray from the 30 I've had in my 18 hours with control.

After finally beating the game, I can at least say how great a concept the Oldest House is, completely let down by Jesse story. I can't believe they didn't play with dimension stuff more than they did. We were adjacent to mysteries and infinite potential the entire game only to continue down another grey office space/corridor with occasional highlights in between and another trip to mess with some shit in the hotel. Things like the mold quest, which I completely missed at first, should have been layered throughout. It was a famliiar concept but added a wrinkle in level design and enemies and gave us a taste of the danger of the other worldliness.

I started the foundation and it's easily what I wanted more of. A mix between both supernatural and expected. IS AWE similar I hope?

Basically, my biggest complaint is that the lore logs of a game shouldn't be more interesting than the game itself imo.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying the game overall. The overall themes and aesthetic thus far are totally up my alley. My only complaints so far are that there isn't a legend you can toggle on and off for the map (that I'm aware of), the combat is a bit repetitive, and for all the options to toggle various things on and off in the game it's annoying that I can't turn off the item outlining for objects that can be picked up with telekinesis.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the map is just secondary, you are meant to make your way around via the rather large environmental cues.
It starts as being disorienting and helps build that feeling of getting to know a environment quite well, especially as you learn shortcuts and how things loop back around. Just another one of the design decisions that people seem to find annoying I quite like ;)

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
I'm getting a weird "ghosting'" effect when slowly moving my character around or aiming with gun. It's noticeable only in 30fps mode.
Anyone else seeing this or am I going crazy?
Nope, their TAA + motion blur and RT denoiser unfortunately creates a blurry mess of a picture, most noticable when camera paning. This also makes the game less enjoyable in 30fps than other games (Mile Morales, God of War etc.)
Disabling motion blur turns the blurry picture into a stuttery one... -_-
Just play in 60fps mode, you won't regret it!

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
Just finished platinum for the main game, was one of the best games I've played in ages, was in love with the world building, probably one of the only games where I've actually stopped to read every collectable I find, I could read a whole book of passive aggressive office memos and case files for weird objects

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The game feels quite bland in gameplay to me but this is the first ps5 title I've played where performance mode just does not compete with resolution. The reflections and lighting are absolutely superb! I never thought I would choose 30fps but it's night and day.
As someone who tried, twice, to play in 30fps mode and had headaches and dry eyes and just constant discomfort (and I can play low-fps games no problem generally, hell I've been playing Hyrule Warriors lately lol) and 60fps mode being smooth and pleasant, this is completely wild to me.

Those mildly effects are NOT worth the halved framerate and constant blurriness when you move around. The game already looks very solid in performance mode anyway.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Was the game always this easy (outside of an optional Boss)??
Outside of said optional Boss, i died exactly twice throughout the critical path (not counting falling to death one time because i overestimated the mid-air evade ^^). I remember the game being way harder.
Or maybe last time i didnt upgrade force throw right away and kill everything in one hit lol (no, assists are disabled)

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
First playthrough and I just got to the containment area. I get the story is trying to be mysterious in more ways than one, but it seems lacking. Specifically Jesse's story hasn't drawn me in at all yet. The oldest house is pretty cool though and I like all the world building are it so far.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
This game is so unsettling to me that I basically play a mission or two in between other games lol. The silent building with people floating everywhere just creeps me the fuck out.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Outside of said optional Boss, i died exactly twice throughout the critical path (not counting falling to death one time because i overestimated the mid-air evade ^^). I remember the game being way harder.
Or maybe last time i didnt upgrade force throw right away and kill everything in one hit lol (no, assists are disabled)
I swear last-gen was way harder. Maybe they tuned enemy damage, or maybe 60fps really make it way easier. I still have a certain optional boss to deal with, but the others just died in 70seconds.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

That boss is Mold-1, right?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Nah,
Tommasi Round 2. I Always found Mold-1 to be easy, did the mission both times (on PS4 & 5) after completing the game and completely wrecked the thing with throwing objects on first try each time

That one is a chump,
Tomassi v2 and Anchor
are the challenging ones. The former much more than the latter.

For whatever reason those weren't too bad for me. I died a couple times on them, but Mold-1 was driving me nuts. I ended up lucking out on one of the runs to it and found a weapon mod with a good damage boost and that put me over the top against it. I guess it also frustrated me because of all the optional bosses that one seemed to have the longest trek between your spawn point and making it back to that boss.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Dualsense integration is getting better and better, they did an outstanding job! I could never go back and play this without the adaptive triggers, it makes every weapon much more satisfying and fun to use

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
For whatever reason those weren't too bad for me. I died a couple times on them, but Mold-1 was driving me nuts. I ended up lucking out on one of the runs to it and found a weapon mod with a good damage boost and that put me over the top against it. I guess it also frustrated me because of all the optional bosses that one seemed to have the longest trek between your spawn point and making it back to that boss.
For me on ps4 your friend killed me twice because of my sluggish aim. On ps5 it's so responsive it is very fast popping them. Still have the rematch bosses left, tho.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This game. Just wow. The story to boot has so far been absolutely fascinating, every little detail adds to the world of intrigue and builds on this clearly ominous yet needed bureau that controls the very thing we fear: the unknown.

yQwSJdE1_o.png

cScUAXof_o.png

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin

if you don't disable that then all of a sudden when you go to parties and everyone is bragging about their trophies when introducing themselves to new people (as is normal human behavior) we won't know who is a true gamer TM versus who is the fake gamer that used assist mode to get trophies. It completely devalues the concept of trophies, which have real world value./s

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I went from "damn this game is cool" at the start to "I wish the gamedesign tried to be on par with the writing" a few hours in to "yeah, this game is cool actually" now that I've unlocked all the powers and that I have several missions in my log to tackle as I see fit.

Stumbled into the Alan Wake content, it's cool.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this game on last year and loved it. Now, I'm playing through on Ps5 and really can't get enough. I didn't realize for much I missed on my first playthrough. I found the threshold kids tapes and was just floored by how enjoyable they were. Now, I have all of them and I'm going for the radio show recordings. This game is too too good.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just finished. Always exciting to have Porcupine Tree pop up in an unexpected place. <3 What a trip this game was. Combat was a joy the whole way through and the visual design had me in awe.

I couldn't stomach graphics mode. The difference in clarity and responsiveness was just so pronounced in the performance mode. Easy decision.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017

They're basically cheat codes and I figured them not disabling trophies when Assist Mode was added was an oversight they'd rectify eventually.

I had gotten the plat on PS4 before Assist Mode was added, but I may consider going for the double plat on PS5 with an Assist Mode-enabled speedrun of sorts on PS5. Want to check out that RT.

It's fully a SP game, so it's no big deal, I just think it's funny. Turning mods on in Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE disables trophies, FWIW. Figured Control's Assist Mode was intended to work something like that. Eventually.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Yup, just started mission 3 and the map is just... awful....
I feel like the map is just secondary, you are meant to make your way around via the rather large environmental cues.
It starts as being disorienting and helps build that feeling of getting to know a environment quite well, especially as you learn shortcuts and how things loop back around. Just another one of the design decisions that people seem to find annoying I quite like ;)

I've read (and can't recall source, pardon me) that Remedy added the map extremely late in the development and originally intended that there would be no map at all, and players would be supposed to navigate based on wall signs and landmarks. They ended up putting the map in game because so many testers complained about lack of it.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I've read (and can't recall source, pardon me) that Remedy added the map extremely late in the development and originally intended that there would be no map at all, and players would be supposed to navigate based on wall signs and landmarks. They ended up putting the map in game because so many testers complained about lack of it.

Interesting...
you don't get access to the map straight away - prior to that point they should have done something along the lines of telling you to go somewhere and use the in game signs and landmarks. That would have helped. I literally didnt know this until it has been pointed out in posts here.

Oct 27, 2017
Upgrading the launch ability to the max before dumping points in anything else has made the game a cakewalk. One-shot pretty much any enemy, armour and all. Combat is basically nothing at this point.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm clearing some DLC trophies and decided to turn performance mode on. I now can't go back to graphics mode.
I'm glad I got to play through the entire game with that RT goodness. I didn't have many issues with the 30fps mode.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

I think the main issue is that so many areas look similar that without a map it would be harder to discern where you are at. The game doesn't have the environmental variety that say, Dark Souls has where you can navigate solely on landmarks and such.

That said, the map they did add is confusing in its own right. No way to easily tell where you are vertically in spots that overlap. It really needed a rotating 3D map like Metroid to do the job correctly.