• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!

It's me or this game is fucking dark? (Playing on PS5)
Idk if it's because the hdr or what, but I had to set the brightness at 75 after noticing that there was rooms where I can't see shit.
LWnDu6G.gif

66 brightness seems the correct one to match Xbox serie x brightness. SWitching between both here
Check my post

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!

It's me or this game is fucking dark? (Playing on PS5)
Idk if it's because the hdr or what, but I had to set the brightness at 75 after noticing that there was rooms where I can't see shit.
It's not so much dark, as the blacks are crushed (like last gen's 'pop'). I've turned off HDR ( which stupidly is a system wide setting on PS5), but it's not much better

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Is it just me but is the 30 FPS graphics mode absolutely horrible?

Now I dont mind 30 fps when I play on consoles if it means I can crank up graphics, and I dont even mind random frame drops or the like ..... But there's something very very wrong with Control's 30 fps mode .... It feels incredibly sluggish and seems to chug for some reason.

Switching to performance is completely different and feels like how the game should be played. I dont know how to explain it, but it feels like something is very wrong and very off, I had this same problem playing Shadow of War on the PS4 ...... The game just felt horrible to play on 30 fps because it didnt seem optimized like other 30 fps games.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
I am both loving and annoyed at the combat.

Sometimes I'm in control, heh, and other times it's a mess of stuff going on, Jesse is so fragile that a little mistake can mean a wipeout. There's definitely a notable difficulty spike at a certain point. The annoying part is probably less the death, and more the poor check point system, I do wonder the pain of the previous generation versions because the loading is nice and quick which I imagine they weren't previously.

I'm using mods on increased health which helps with the tougher sections, but ends up taking away from playing around with the other mods at the same time which is a shame. It becomes a hope that a bit of playing around will help an encounter, and hoping that a player didn't make terrible ability point choices.

And what's with the losing of source points every time you die? whoever decided on that must be a glutton for punishment, we'll reward you sucking with making it a little harder to upgrade or buy mods.

On the other hand I absolutely love there's an assist mode. I played around with it when going through the beginning areas again just looking to mess round, it's great fun going to town with charge and launch and not worrying about dying. I understand the need for a challenge, but as someone who's gaming time will probably be getting smaller with a little one on the way, it's nice that I could still run through the story on a "super easy" mode as it were and just enjoy the atmosphere and story.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Getting crashes again and again on Xbox Series X. With save spots sometimes further apart from each other, this can be quite frustrating, because the crashes seem to happen like once an hour or so for me with no real visible pattern. I do enjoy the game but found both Alan Wake and Quantum Break superior to Control up until now. The combat is definitely interesting and impressive with all these physical objects in the world, but I also find it hectic and not as strategic as I had hoped for.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Now I dont mind 30 fps when I play on consoles if it means I can crank up graphics, and I dont even mind random frame drops or the like ..... But there's something very very wrong with Control's 30 fps mode .... It feels incredibly sluggish and seems to chug for some reason.

Switching to performance is completely different and feels like how the game should be played. I dont know how to explain it, but it feels like something is very wrong and very off, I had this same problem playing Shadow of War on the PS4 ...... The game just felt horrible to play on 30 fps because it didnt seem optimized like other 30 fps games.
Multiple people have said this, I'm really curious to see when I finally play the game again. I played through and loved Control on One X, so I feel like i'll have a pretty good idea if 30fps mode feels different in any way.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Im really enjoying the game on PS5, playing on graphics mode, at first it was really jarring after playing Ghost of Tsushima, and getting accostumed was harded than with other games (like Miles Morales) but after adjusting is fine, the game itself is really atmosferic, I like to slow burn through it a lot.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017

Maybe it's the motion blur? Graphics was absolutely unplayable for me until I turned that off, now I dont mind (I also sped up camera movement a bit). It doesn't feel a whole lot different than say TLoU 2 now.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got shield and unlocked ground slam. This is one of the best feeling superhero-esque shooting games I've played. Seriously. I want more powers if they ever make a sequel.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the first time I played it I spent about 10 in the ashtray maze, got confused and left.

I think I'll have another look when I play tomorrow.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Really loving this game, glad I waited.

Playing on XSX and getting a bunch of crashes when I go into my inventory every now and then:(

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Ashtray maze? I didn't know what to do so I just left that area. Guess I'll come back to it later
I remember the first time I played it I spent about 10 in the ashtray maze, got confused and left.

I think I'll have another look when I play tomorrow.

The Ashtray Maze is a story-related section. If the game is not clearly indicating you to go there, you shouldn't waste your time there yet.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
What are ERAs movie recommendations for a similar vibe to control?

(secret government institution dealing with paranormal stuff, general uneasyess, twin peaks meets X-Files stuff)

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Also starting to get a but lost now, think ill give it a rest for the night.

I have go go thr training area mission but I can't find a way in, its all redded over.

As is my other mission to get to an office in research.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple people have said this, I'm really curious to see when I finally play the game again. I played through and loved Control on One X, so I feel like i'll have a pretty good idea if 30fps mode feels different in any way.

It feels way different, and a choppier 30fps, form what I remember from playing Control on my X1X last year. Maybe this influenced by the fact that you can go back and fourth between 60 and 30 pretty easily in this game.

Maybe it's the motion blur? Graphics was absolutely unplayable for me until I turned that off, now I dont mind (I also sped up camera movement a bit). It doesn't feel a whole lot different than say TLoU 2 now.

This didn't help at all, feels just as choppy while looking a bit more unnatural in the camera movements. It's not anywhere close to feeling like TLoU2 with motion blur off.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the side missions seem to have a considerable amount of stuff (and lore), I'm perplexed why they decided to have bosses there instead of the main missions.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
after 30 hours of gameplay and heavy usage of Pierce, the motor in my right trigger has died. Word of warning for people playing on PS5.

edit: false alarm but I would still be careful with Pierce as it seems to bug out the motors sometimes.

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Also starting to get a but lost now, think ill give it a rest for the night.

I have go go thr training area mission but I can't find a way in, its all redded over.

As is my other mission to get to an office in research.

I was stuck in these spots too so I ended up just Googling it lol. Not really a spoiler but here's what you're supposed to do (and what I was too dumb to figure out):

Destroy all the red blocks surrounding those areas.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's awful. I don't have a PS5 - is there a way to manually turn off the vibration in those triggers?
Mine sounded like it was dying when I was using Pierce yesterday, it was whining like crazy.

It's soo satisfying to use though 🤤
Fuck, now I'm worried my Dualsenses will die quickly when I play Control :/

So false alarm... I think it was a game specific bug because I started up Astro's Playroom real quick just to be sure and it worked fine...

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I Finished mission 5 and really loving it so far
My biggest complaint is the map, is so bad to follow it
Why do a "metroidvania" game with a shitty map?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting a weird "ghosting'" effect when slowly moving my character around or aiming with gun. It's noticeable only in 30fps mode.
Anyone else seeing this or am I going crazy?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Do dualsense controllers still work even if the motors are dead and stuff?

Just sounds like suck a finnicky gimmick.. I bought a dualsense recently but for PC so it can't use that stuff but I hope the triggers aren't really brittle.