• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't choose between graphics and performance...

I've been going back and forward on the settings for like 20 minutes now

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I thought they would have fixed the checkpoint/respawn placement with the ultimate edition, but it's the same as it was on the base game at launch. Not a deal breaker, but mildly frustrating at times.

The work Remedy has done to support the PS5 feature set is excellent. The DualSense features are nice, the Help implementation is good from what I've seen so far and the next gen upgrade of 60fps is super welcome.

I hope the uptake is high on PS+. I want more Control in the future.
I swore they said they added more checkpoints for the ultimate edition

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
That was the 1.11 update in August I think. Added more checkpoints to 3 of the bigger fights.
Was for all versions I am pretty sure.
controlgame.com

Control - Discover a World Unknown

After a secretive agency in New York is invaded by an otherworldly threat, you become the new Director struggling to regain Control

Also at first I had issues picking graphics vs performance but after some time testing, the slight drops and input lag feels a bit too much like playing it on ps4.
Looks great but the 60fps is too good and feels so much better. Nothing beats just totally destroying office equipment and seeing everything react and break apart.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like on PS, the last-gen Ultimate Edition is just a bundle purchase of the base game and the season pass dlc. The current-gen versions are only sold as the ultimate, so the DLC is just included inside the game app.

I was wondering if that was the case. The next-gen (well, current-gen now lol) version was the one with discount and wanted be sure to pick the correct one.

IMG-20210204-001520.jpg

It say Control Ultimate Edition in the Xbox dashboard ^^ Thanks!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
something is wrong with jessies animations on ps5. the jump and run animation are skipping frames of animation. i loaded up the x1x version and it does not have those problems.

i hope they can fix it. you run all the time and since i noticed the stutter in her run, it really annoys me.
Noticed this on PS5 and the Series X, it's an issue with quality and performance mode. Working on the DLC now for PS5 so it clearly doesn't hamper the experience too much, certainly not to the point that I'll ever revisit the last-gen versions again, but it's definitely a noticeable issue that I hope gets ironed out for subsequent replays.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like on PS, the last-gen Ultimate Edition is just a bundle purchase of the base game and the season pass dlc. The current-gen versions are only sold as the ultimate, so the DLC is just included inside the game app.
so that's why it didn't already show up as bought for me. i was sure i bought the ultimate edition for ps4 like a month back and was surprised that it let me add the ps5 version to redeem it and didn't already say bought.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland

Several Control points were added and some soft checkpoints for the final main campaign missions.

You can just use Assist Mode from Options to turn on one hit kills, immortality, aim assist etc, to make the combat as easy for you as you want without penalty.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Think I'm halfway through at this point and I'm probably just going to turn on assist mode to finish it. The presentation is amazing and it's a really cool world with some great ideas, but everything else (including the story itself) is pretty mediocre, unfortunately.

It's also crashing a bunch when I track missions.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

I was the same way for my first hour or so. But reflective floors and the occasional glass just aren't worth losing 60fps. Every other benefit of RT is just too minor or insignificant to notice outside of DF level zoom ins

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got to play the first hour last night and I'm loving it so far. Great atmosphere and interesting lore so far. I like reading up on the documents you find more rhan I thought I would.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to play the first hour last night and I'm loving it so far. Great atmosphere and interesting lore so far. I like reading up on the documents you find more rhan I thought I would.

Now the game doesn't freeze horribly whenever you open a menu, reading the lore drops is actually quite fun.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Completely agree. I like Remedy. This feels like some amazing ambition, great ideas that would work in a tv series. The game, though - all the files and folders you have to pick up and then go into the menu to read, boring, limited encounters. It's just not a great game IMO. Reminds me of Alan Wake in that way a lot. You've seen all the gameplay that it has to offer very early on, and it just makes you repeat kind of boring encounters over and over to get to the next story bit.

Yeah, watched few videos about Control actually and its quite brutal how small the game really is and how much its stretched.

I like Control the most of Remedy's games, though.

But, I'm never buying their stuff until its super cheap - and I did buy this, didn't play the gamepass thingy. Was it worth the 10+ euros I paid? Kinda, but I suppose mainly because I don't have anything else to play at this time.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
i think as a huge max payne fan, control hits the extremely satisfying combat loop mark for me. i think some people don't find the encounters interesting, but like max payne they've put more focus into making even the most basic fights feel good as opposed to coming up with a large amount of wholly unique combat scenarios.

it's a lot like max payne third person shooting + the new doom titles's focus on mobility and aggressive hit and run tactics. alternating between launching and shooting, dashing in and out of range and using shield as mobile cover (which i actually rarely do).

in that sense i think it's interesting that some find the combat boring, because it's the kind of game that encourages you to do a lot of situational thinking ie: which enemies to take out first, keeping distance from a kamikaze type enemy while focusing on attacking a beefier one that can kill you faster, having to stay in the air to avoid grenade launcher shots while also getting shit thrown at you by airborne enemies.

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
HTF do I beat Tommasi. Its like having a Wanda Avengers fight throwing shit at us

Right at the beginning of the arena, duck behind that round thing. He throws two pieces of debris at you and is free to shoot at in between.
I never moved away from that round structure near the entrance.
The mob enemies can easily be dealt with by force-throwing objects at them from behind the round structure - If you are lucky and throw an explosive object, Tomassi can get big damage through AOE.
You can hit Tomassi with thrown objects yourself but he is annoyingly evasive and i usually get bopped by his shit when i try to hit him with debris directly.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Aim assist is such a blessing. I'm enjoying the game a lot so far.
Are the DLCs part of the main campaign or you play them after you finish the game?

Dec 6, 2017
US
Completely agree. I like Remedy. This feels like some amazing ambition, great ideas that would work in a tv series. The game, though - all the files and folders you have to pick up and then go into the menu to read, boring, limited encounters. It's just not a great game IMO. Reminds me of Alan Wake in that way a lot. You've seen all the gameplay that it has to offer very early on, and it just makes you repeat kind of boring encounters over and over to get to the next story bit.

I've reacted to Alan Wake, Quantum Break and now Control the exact same way and it's this. Remedy always come up with these huge ideas and worlds but the actual act of playing their games is underwhelming and unsatisfying to me every time. It's the reason I didn't initially buy Control and having spent a few hours with the PS+ version on PS5 now, I can firmly say I apparently only like Remedy games in theory. The idea and worlds of their games get my imagination going but I haven't actually liked playing any of them since Max Payne 2. I'm actually surprised by the praise for Alan Wake especially in recent years, I think it's a mediocre-at-best and ultra-repetitive slog of a game wrapped in really cool aesthetics.

Oct 30, 2017
I've reacted to Alan Wake, Quantum Break and now Control the exact same way and it's this. Remedy always come up with these huge ideas and worlds but the actual act of playing their games is underwhelming and unsatisfying to me every time. It's the reason I didn't initially buy Control and having spent a few hours with the PS+ version on PS5 now, I can firmly say I apparently only like Remedy games in theory. The idea and worlds of their games get my imagination going but I haven't actually liked playing any of them since Max Payne 2. I'm actually surprised by the praise for Alan Wake especially in recent years, I think it's a mediocre-at-best and ultra-repetitive slog of a game wrapped in really cool aesthetics.
I like Alan Wake in the sense that yes, I love Twin Peaks and Stephen King and weird fiction and horror, but yeah, it's a super repetitive slog with boring gameplay. Just like every Remedy game. And I keep playing them. They all feel the same, with simple mechanics, bad encounter design, limited enemy types, and badly integrated lore stuff (going into menus to read things, etc).
I sound harsh - I like Remedy, and I wish them the best. I just want more from them in the gamey way.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Still very much enjoying 3 hours in. The vibe is certainly creepy.

The gun changing its shape dependant on what mode you have it in is very slick.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Dualsense is the real star of the upgrade.

Hope Control 2 (and other games) stick with a 60fps minimum going forward. Just focus on that and please devs, start adding an unlock frame rate option in all games.

Fantastic game, reading \watching all the pickups is mandatory though which will put some off.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I like Alan Wake in the sense that yes, I love Twin Peaks and Stephen King and weird fiction and horror, but yeah, it's a super repetitive slog with boring gameplay. Just like every Remedy game. And I keep playing them. They all feel the same, with simple mechanics, bad encounter design, limited enemy types, and badly integrated lore stuff (going into menus to read things, etc).
I sound harsh - I like Remedy, and I wish them the best. I just want more from them in the gamey way.

I really tried giving Control a chance, and Remedy yet another chance, but after reading your posts, basically this happened

R9a90ddce52d9f67dfd99b807a95395e1

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017

The decision was pretty easy for me. I usually start with performance mode amd play for a few minutes and then switch over to graphics mode. Going from 60 fps to 30 fps makes the game feel super stuttery. I usually don't mind playing games at 30 fps if there is no direct comparison but being able to switch back and forth makes the difference very apparent.
The "faked" reflections (cube maps?) are also good enough for me. Yes, the RT is very nice in this game but it's still no contest for me.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
The decision was pretty easy for me. I usually start with performance mode amd play for a few minutes and then switch over to graphics mode. Going from 60 fps to 30 fps makes the game feel super stuttery. I usually don't mind playing games at 30 fps if there is no direct comparison but being able to switch back and forth makes the difference very apparent.
The "faked" reflections (cube maps?) are also good enough for me. Yes, the RT is very nice in this game but it's still no contest for me.

I'm the same, I don't mind 30fps, but the game doesn't feel good at 30 FPS like God of War or TLOU2 did on PS4 so I think I'll play at 60...man I wanted to see those reflections...

Is the dual sense implementation that good? I have both versions and might switch if it is.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the same, I don't mind 30fps, but the game doesn't feel good at 30 FPS like God of War or TLOU2 did on PS4 so I think I'll play at 60...man I wanted to see those reflections...

Is the dual sense implementation that good? I have both versions and might switch if it is.
I really like the haptic feedback you get from walking / running over different surfaces. It reminded me of Astro Bot in the best possible way. The trigger implementation is also pretty cool, although I've toned them a down a little. You can set the resistance to your liking in the menu.

LtCasual

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota, USA
... wait what?

If you have the base game on PS4 you can download the PS4 ultimate addition and transfer your save > then upgrade that to the ps5 version of the ultimate edition and the save carries over... :?

but you can't go straight from PS4 base to PS5 ultimate edition.

Well i was going to start from the beginning again away

As far as I know there is no path for PS4 save data to PS5 Ultimate Edition. Something about engine changes makes it not compatible.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I was previously annoyed that we couldn't transfer our saves but honestly, Control makes for a very easy replay. The combat is so good it allows you to easily slip into this nice flow similar to what makes endlessly replayable games like Doom and RE4 work so well. I saw the credits again before I even realised it.

Although now I got reminded how disappointingly sudden the ending is. The lack of a final boss is baffling.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I actually really like the combat, it's the closest a game has gotten to reliving the lobby scene from The Matrix, with how the physics and environmental destruction being so intricate. The last game to give me that sort of feeling was Stranglehold but this is more refined and much much more technically impressive.

I posted this somewhere else but one thing I love is how the launching and shield moves will actually lift pieces of the environment up, so it's not just generic rocks. If you're in a room with lots of files and binders then that too will get pulled into your gravitational orbit. If this game is a peek into next gen then I hope we see more dynamic environment and lighting stuff from RT and not just reflections. All that light bounce is so atmospheric and makes things feel alive

yNsFmIq.png

The enemies do sort of suck tho

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
The bosses in this game are so frustrating! Especially the one at the end of the AWE DLC.

Jeeeeeeeeeze. The battles are so long and tedious and then you die in like 1 hit. I don't find them fun at all.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some of the bosses are bullshit. Especially the Anchor. You can't even jump to the platform where it first opens up because for some reason throwing the clock doesn't do anything. Then there's the fact that if you get hit once you're screwed.

Its even more annoying without m/kb

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Found a minor bug in a certain area, where after having defeated all the enemies, the barriers didn't disappear and I couldn't access the control point, though after going to the previous one and fast travelling back, I repeated the process and cleansed it. And after a while, in the next area, game paused and iIgot a weird error on PS5, and reported it, though it didn't actually crash or anything.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I hate to be that asshole, but I never felt like the bosses were unfair, just that I wasn't good enough yet. I kept trying until I beat them, and found myself better at the game after each one.

The anchor didn't take me too many tries. The one that I found hardest was the optional one late on where you have a flying boss, and a couple of those invisible monsters below him. I know most people hide up in the girders to cheese it, but I grit my teeth and got down to work, and yeah, I felt pretty unstoppable after that. I guess that's how people who stick with Soulslike games feel, not that I'd know.

BluePhoneBox

Oct 30, 2017
I'm experiencing frequent crashes on the Series X, whenever some interface overlay is going to happen.

A few examples include:
–Trying to zoom in on a correspondence file I'd just collected;
–Just after talking with Marshall for the first time, when I believe a "New Objective" text was going to pop up;
–When a Bureau Alert was going to pop up;
–When I tried entering the Options menu mid-game to adjust some settings;
–Literally when I tried looking at the map.

These crashes have been happening at random and I'm constantly expecting them whenever I need to look at the map or open the menu. Haven't lost any progress, thankfully, but reboot the game over and over is frustrating, no matter how quick it is.
I'm having the exact same problem with crashing. It's almost every 20-30 minutes on my Series X.

It's usually when I enter into the map, or one of the menus. The game just hard crashes right back to the home screen.

Playing in Performance mode. Boy, is this frustrating.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm near the end of the game, just got the walkman. Throwing all the points into telekinesis seems to have trivialized the game. I rarely use my gun anymore and just blindly throw crap.

Most of my deaths were front loaded in this game, especially in close quarters. Like at least half the deaths were just rounding a corner and there just happened to be a guy there that 1 shot me. Haven't had that issue in a long time.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
If you do use Graphics mode turn off Motion Blur. Game looks a lot less juddery. And film grain but I always turn that off.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Today I made it through the sixth story mission. I did many a few side missions after that and my launching ability got extremely OP to the point it can one shot a lot of the weaker enemies.
I managed to beat the Anchor on my first try, but I'm using aim assist, so yeah, there's that. That worm boss at the bottom of the pit took me a few tries though!

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Like this game a lot more than the first try. I played shortly after release but I just wasn't in the mood for a Metroidvania style but now that I'm expecting that I love it

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
I'm definitely digging this more than I expected I would. It's still a bit pop-pretentious gobbedlygook but the mix of House of Leaves meets The Bureau via Scarfolk scratches an itch. There's nothing really original here but it's absolutely worth Free. ;) The gunplay and Infamous-psychokinesis implementation really feels good. Granted, I've only played a handful of hours but I'll stick with it.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Ray tracing is nice but just not worth the frame rate. I feel like the motion blur implementation in this game isn't the greatest. Anyone else feel the same?

Loving the game otherwise.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
So I tried the game on an old XB1, with gamepass, and how the hell did people play this at launch?!?

I've finished the game 5 times on PC, know all of the encounters by heart and it was still awful. I quickly got to Tomassi and it was a slideshow. I can't imagine how bad that encounter would be for a person brand new to the game.

Made me wonder why they even made the game for XB1 (and I assume PS4?).