• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

beins

Oct 25, 2017
So confused after playing 30 minutes. Mysteriousness isn't drawing me in. Rather turning me off the game. Does it get better? Will I have a straight conversation with someone, or is it all vague internal monologues?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
So confused after playing 30 minutes. Mysteriousness isn't drawing me in. Rather turning me off the game. Does it get better? Will I have a straight conversation with someone, or is it all vague internal monologues?
The main plot becomes more easy to understand but the game invests most of its appeal in mysterious spookiness, it's going for the Twin Peaks thing a bit.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I tried that. Didn't work.

They need to fix this.
wtf. so not only did i pay 20 bucks in the sale only for the game to be free with ps+. Now i cant even play the ps5 version at all. LOL what a fail this has been so far^^

edit:

are you from germany? thats what the support said on twitter:
I think this may have to do with a policy specific to Germany that prevents certain age-restricted content from being released for free, so we are working on getting this addressed. Might take a bit, but we'll get it sorted as quickly as we can!

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Damn, I accidentally stumbled onto a spoiler, when I was googling for the different outfits, and how to unlock them.

Is this a story-ruining spoiler?
The Asynchronous Suit will allow Jesse to dress up as her Hiss-corrupted mirror counterpart.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I accidentally stumbled onto a spoiler, when I was googling for the different outfits, and how to unlock them.

Is this a story-ruining spoiler?
The Asynchronous Suit will allow Jesse to dress up as her Hiss-corrupted mirror counterpart.
that's related to a side mission, no bearing on the main story

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
When I played this first on ps4, I dropped the game at the first boss tomassi but now I took care of that dude on my first try. Did they nerf him or is playing this at 60fps making it that much easier? Lol

redrohX

Nov 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Has anyone managed to fix the not being able to download the PS5 version issue? Really wish I hadn't bought the Ultimate Edition now.

I bought the PS4 UE as well during the sale, but I did manage to download the PS5 version. Perhaps it worked for me because I was pretty early, before the game was published on PS Plus (the previous month games were still there at that time).
I managed to get it through the website. I think I went to My Library and Recent Purchases. Clicked on the game and from there went to the store page, which then had a download link for the PS5 version.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone managed to fix the not being able to download the PS5 version issue? Really wish I hadn't bought the Ultimate Edition now.

505 Games comment on this:
I think this may have to do with a policy specific to Germany that prevents certain age-restricted content from being released for free, so we are working on getting this addressed. Might take a bit, but we'll get it sorted as quickly as we can!

at least they know about it now. Lets see how long it takes to fix this.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I have to play this at 60fps. I tried playing it in the other mode and it just gave me really bad headaches. It's nothing to do with the framerate since I played and beat the game on a base PS4 last year, so it must be a graphical effect it adds. 🤔

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I play it in quality mode for the sweet PS5 ray tracing and somehow I really love how the photo mode ups the resolution and maybe even the graphic settings a bit? and also runs in 60fps with ray tracing on. Some maybe don't like that it's not really accurate to what you see in gameplay, but Jesus Christ does it allows you to make fantastic screenshots.

I wish there would be some exploit to end the photo mode but actually staying in that setting, that would be interesting. 😛

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
The mysteriousness is a major part of the game. It's also quite silly and not to be taken too seriously, but the tone pretty much remains the same through the game.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is a game that I'm super proud to be credited on, glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. I haven't played all of it myself as I didn't enjoy the performance on PS4, excited to play on PS5.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
This is a game that I'm super proud to be credited on, glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. I haven't played all of it myself as I didn't enjoy the performance on PS4, excited to play on PS5.
The game is a joy to play on the PS5 at 60fps. The haptics really add a lot for me as well. The phomp sound and haptics as you pull in an object is amazing. I'm constantly running around pulling stuff.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I managed to finally finish my work last night at eigh, put the kids to bed and finally try Control.

I like it. Only about 1 hour in but I really like the atmosphere. I had been playing Ghost of Tsushima while it downloaded and it was a bit jarring playing at 30fps for about 30minutes but I needed that ray tracing. I'm glad I waited to play this. Spooky games are just better on a couch IMO.

jimbosimbo

Nov 9, 2020
When I played this first on ps4, I dropped the game at the first boss tomassi but now I took care of that dude on my first try. Did they nerf him or is playing this at 60fps making it that much easier? Lol
I spent many attempts trying to throw stuff at him, then realised it's best to just use a pillar for cover and take pop shots at him whilst dodging his throws.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I wish aiming in Control wouldn't feel like absolut trash with a controller. I never have any problems with playing first or third person games, but controlling the camera and trying to hit things here feels like an anomaly. It feels so shit and I can't hit enemies.

Anyone with a good setting to make it feel better?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I dont understand why ppl think the story is confusing? It's a magic building she's been searching for and within the first hour or so she outright says that she's there looking for her brother.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I think I have to play this at 60fps. I tried playing it in the other mode and it just gave me really bad headaches. It's nothing to do with the framerate since I played and beat the game on a base PS4 last year, so it must be a graphical effect it adds. 🤔

I experienced eye strain yesterday with the quality mode. I'll try the performance mode today to see if it's the same.

I gather, that all the documents being glaring white doesn't help. Being able to change the background darker should also be included in the accessibility options.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I experienced eye strain yesterday with the quality mode. I'll try the performance mode today to see if it's the same.

I gather, that all the documents being glaring white doesn't help. Being able to change the background darker should also be included in the accessibility options.

That could be it, yeah. Parts certainly seems a lot brighter than they did before, to the point where I can actually see rings around the Board when they show up. That definitely wasn't there last gen. Maybe that's what's doing it. I should try lowering the brightness.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yes, and the places the lore & story go are spectacular. For now, you are just as new to the Federal Bureau of Control as Jesse is. You can't expect to learn things any faster than she can other than interacting with others and reading documents scattered about.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That could be it, yeah. Parts certainly seems a lot brighter than they did before, to the point where I can actually see rings around the Board when they show up. That definitely wasn't there last gen. Maybe that's what's doing it. I should try lowering the brightness.

I may try the same, but the problem is that the darker rooms are already so dark it's nearly impossible to see anything there.

Oct 28, 2017
Played about an hour yesterday. I beat the game on One X when it came out, but I will happily play through it again at 60 FPS. Runs great and looks good. I didn't play the DLC so I am excited to try those out as well.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I wish aiming in Control wouldn't feel like absolut trash with a controller. I never have any problems with playing first or third person games, but controlling the camera and trying to hit things here feels like an anomaly. It feels so shit and I can't hit enemies.

Anyone with a good setting to make it feel better?

Do you use aim down sight? I find this game way easier to play without aiming, playing superaggresive by running towards the targets, staying highly mobile. And with unlimited ammo, it's not really an issue if some shots miss. Launch something to lower the shield, blap blap blap blap, launch, and so on. This way the combat becomes more a puzzle of when to attack, juggling stamina and ammo, and when to retreat.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not thoroughly impressed by the graphics, but I'm having a great time. Remedy always produces interesting and quirky games.

To each their own. I absolutely love the game's tone, exploring stuff, and reading files. This really is my cup of tea.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get the PS5 version of this downloaded has been a horrible experience, finally downloading after 30 minutes of fucking around with it. I hope

wars

Apr 26, 2020
Lisbon,Portugal
Does the Ultimate Edition support saved files from the OG Control? If yes, how do I make the upload?

I would like to jump on the DLCs only.

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Not generally a fan of horror games but I got the TK and suddenly things aren't as scary anymore.

Screw the whispers though. Any issues if I shoot all the floating bodies? They generally creep me out and seem to lessen the creepy whispers

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished the base game, pretty incredible stuff. Not sure whether or not to continue and play the DLC or jump straight into the PS5 version of God of War... choices.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Played last night for 90 minutes or so. Was surprised to find the 60fps actually was... pulling me out of the experience a bit? I am normally a 60fps fan over 30, but found that it looked more "gamey" at 60. 30 gave it all a slower, more methodical, almost TV show vibe. The problem is the first boss was impossible to beat at 30. Put it up to 60, wasted him, and then dropped back down.

I like the spooky vibe so far, the
hotel scene was my favourite moment. Realizing it was a puzzle, watching the lighting pour over the character models, and the audio tricks all came together in that scene

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Not generally a fan of horror games but I got the TK and suddenly things aren't as scary anymore.

Screw the whispers though. Any issues if I shoot all the floating bodies? They generally creep me out and seem to lessen the creepy whispers
The game isn't really Horror or scary imo. Mostly it can be unsettling but it reigns it in with some light humor.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Played last night for 90 minutes or so. Was surprised to find the 60fps actually was... pulling me out of the experience a bit? I am normally a 60fps fan over 30, but found that it looked more "gamey" at 60. 30 gave it all a slower, more methodical, almost TV show vibe. The problem is the first boss was impossible to beat at 30. Put it up to 60, wasted him, and then dropped back down.

I like the spooky vibe so far, the
hotel scene was my favourite moment. Realizing it was a puzzle, watching the lighting pour over the character models, and the audio tricks all came together in that scene
It's good that you can switch back and forth without having to reload. Means there's no downside to changing based on situation (other than having to get used to 30fps again but that only takes me a few minutes).

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Started the game in graphics mode but it felt like it started dropping frames as soon as combat started. Changed to performance and haven't looked back.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
So I guess we're not getting any exclusive outfits that released on the original PSN version?
Id assume it would be there on the Ps5 ULTIMATE version but oook.
Bummer cus they are really nice looking ones...

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
played a couple of hours yesterday
very fun so far, i reach the first boss and beat my ass lol

question about the plot
jesse being the new president of the FBC was a lie that she tell or is actually true?
because she is inside the building because "someone" tell her but i saw pictures of her inside the building as the president

and about jesse
the one she is talking to(inside her mind) is me, the player?

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I have both an XSX and a PS5 and I am seriously impressed that the PS5 version is so much smaller to download - with almost the exact results. I have really lousy rural internet, so I hope MS can copy/buy/create their own compression system to match whatever Sony is using.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
2 hours in and I still don't know what's going on, but I truly enjoy the mysterious atmosphere. It's difficult and confusing for me to navigate the map though, but I'm getting used to it.
I had to turn on assisted mode to enable those 2 additional aiming options. I was getting killed too often because my right stick started drifting, so it was nearly impossible to aim sometimes.
Playing on PS5 using the graphics mode and wow, the game looks stunning. I just wish it wasn't so dark? It's like lightning feels off in some rooms until you walk inside.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Yo the Brutalist architecture in this game speaks to me, holy shit. Reminds me of all the office buildings I'd tag along with my mom to in the 80s when she was working. It's almost comforting, aside from the floating bodies.

Melmer

Sep 18, 2020
UK
Does the Ultimate Edition support saved files from the OG Control? If yes, how do I make the upload?

I would like to jump on the DLCs only.

That's what I'm struggling with right now as well. Finished control on PS4 but so far I can see no way to access my old save file.

not on PS5 but you can on PS4 apparently:

Here's what a 505 Games support rep told a consumer:

Unfortunately, save-data from the base PS4 game isn't compatible with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.

The PS4 base game saves are compatible with the PS4 Ultimate Edition, however. Additionally, the PS4 Ultimate Edition is eligible for the free PS5 upgrade, in which the save data will be compatible.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7588...er-to-ps5-without-doing-this-first/index.html

Melmer

Sep 18, 2020
UK
... wait what?

If you have the base game on PS4 you can download the PS4 ultimate addition and transfer your save > then upgrade that to the ps5 version of the ultimate edition and the save carries over... :?

but you can't go straight from PS4 base to PS5 ultimate edition.

Well i was going to start from the beginning again away

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
not on PS5 but you can on PS4 apparently:

Here's what a 505 Games support rep told a consumer:

Unfortunately, save-data from the base PS4 game isn't compatible with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.

The PS4 base game saves are compatible with the PS4 Ultimate Edition, however. Additionally, the PS4 Ultimate Edition is eligible for the free PS5 upgrade, in which the save data will be compatible.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7588...er-to-ps5-without-doing-this-first/index.html

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the power plant. When I got here the first time I played it I was already a little put off. I was struggling with the map, dying semi regularly (I swear it was a lot more difficult at launch) and generally was a bit frustrated and dejected.

I'm enjoying it so much more this time around, maybe because I know now what to expect. Without those nagging frustrations I'm fully able to be get in the vibe of it.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey fellow german peeps. It's working now.

You need to buy the update for 0,25€ because of the dumb way Sony understands our laws.*

But it works now.

*only Sony does it this way. Xbox, windows store, gog, epic store, uplay, steam, eshop, etc. Magically don't need the hoops Sony is asking us to jump through...