• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Canceled and deleted PS4 download. Restored licenses and rebooted. Searched for Control Ultimate Edition. 3 dots menus still don't give PS5 option. Started download- it's PS4 again. Search again while it was already downloading. Control Ultimate Edition page shows a Download button even though it's already queued. I click it. It's trying to download normal version of Control PS4 now.

I cancel/delete the normal version, and suddenly the PS4 version of Ultimate restarts itself from scratch and it APPEARS to be the PS5 version? Clear as mud.

So I guess my advice is download it over and over on top of itself a bunch and just cancel and delete any 'normal' versions of control in the Downloads screen and cross your fingers. It shows as 25GB now so it's definitely different from the PS4 version before. ALSO: I'm in the US.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Downloaded this morning but turns out it was the PS4 version. Sony really need to figure out a better way of distributing these types of games so my data isn't wasted.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally played in higher frame rate mode for 20 minutes and might have ruined it. Wanted to play with RT on.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I repeat, there is no option to download the PS5 version anywhere. There never has been for me. Not on the store page, not in the library view, and not on the main screen view when you select it or when it's downloading.

And that doesn't change the fact that you don't have to download the PS4 version. If you are in the US, or any or the other regions in which the PS5 is confirmed to be available, then I suggest trying the web store.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Please people, tell us if the triggers are well implemented on PS5.

They are great. Resistance feels good when shooting and running around has subtle haptics, similar to Astro's Playroom. Haptics are great when pulling and throwing objects, too. One of the better implementations of the DualSense.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
If you're having trouble downloading from the PS5|PS4 option on consoles, maybe check your library on the web and filter by PS5 to see if the individual client is there? Aside from Germany, which seems to be in a fucked state atm with that darn disc upgrade lock.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Downloaded this morning but turns out it was the PS4 version. Sony really need to figure out a better way of distributing these types of games so my data isn't wasted.

Try searching on the store for Control and if there are any results that have a download button, even if it looks like PS4, click it. It might switch to downloading the PS5 version like it did for me.

Also: once my PS5 version finished, when clicking the options button while hovering on the icon itself it has a menu for PS4 or PS5 version. That wasn't present until the download actually finished. Think the way this game was converted from PS4-only to a PS4/PS5 game on the PS5 store itself got all wacky because this is not as easy and simple as it was for other games that have dual versions. At least in my experience.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
How long are the DLCs? I never played them and waited for the PS5 to play them

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
something is wrong with jessies animations on ps5. the jump and run animation are skipping frames of animation. i loaded up the x1x version and it does not have those problems.

i hope they can fix it. you run all the time and since i noticed the stutter in her run, it really annoys me.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
something is wrong with jessies animations on ps5. the jump and run animation are skipping frames of animation. i loaded up the x1x version and it does not have those problems.

i hope they can fix it. you run all the time and since i noticed the stutter in her run, it really annoys me.
Have you got a 120hz TV?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
They are great. Resistance feels good when shooting and running around has subtle haptics, similar to Astro's Playroom. Haptics are great when pulling and throwing objects, too. One of the better implementations of the DualSense.
I agree. It's very well implemented, and I too was reminded of Astro's footsteps and jumps.
Can you (or anyone else) tell me if you've noticed how DS has this sort of mechanical whir every time the adaptive trigger system is engaged and disengaged? I haven't noticed this before in Astro, and I'm not sure if it's normal, and Astro was covering it with controller sounds, or if I should be worried?

In Control basically any time I do the melee force-push with triangle, the right trigger stops being adaptive for a moment, and then it becomes adaptive again being ready to shoot the weapon. Every time this happens controller makes this whirry sound.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
I agree. It's very well implemented, and I too was reminded of Astro's footsteps and jumps.
Can you (or anyone else) tell me if you've noticed how DS has this sort of mechanical whir every time the adaptive trigger system is engaged and disengaged? I haven't noticed this before in Astro, and I'm not sure if it's normal, and Astro was covering it with controller sounds, or if I should be worried?

In Control basically any time I do the melee force-push with triangle, the right trigger stops being adaptive for a moment, and then it becomes adaptive again being ready to shoot the weapon. Every time this happens controller makes this whirry sound.

yeah that's a thing. it was most crazy at dirt5 for me.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Yes this is regular behavior. Immortals Fenyx Rising is notorious for this.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
yeah that's a thing. it was most crazy at dirt5 for me.
I see. So at least it is normal and nothing to worry about.

Yes this is regular behavior. Immortals Fenyx Rising is notorious for this.
Yeah, I noticed it there in the new demo also! When shooting the bow they do some weird things with triggers which hardly make sense to me.
*edit* OK, I just read that what they do is supposed to simulate the flutter of the bow after it fires the arrow. Should have used haptics for that IMO, not the trigger.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
Slightly offtopic then since it's about triggers. In Astro the right trigger always has feedback, the left one does not... Is that normal? :P

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I see. So at least it is normal and nothing to worry about.

Yeah, I noticed it there in the new demo also! When shooting the bow they do some weird things with triggers which hardly make sense to me.
I noticed it when swinging around in Miles Morales. The weird thing is, that it's definitely less noticeable with my other DualSense controller.

Oct 25, 2017
I repeat, there is no option to download the PS5 version anywhere. There never has been for me. Not on the store page, not in the library view, and not on the main screen view when you select it or when it's downloading.

According to guides I've seen, they download and install the PS4 version, and THEN when clicking the 3 dots it will show the options for PS4 or PS5.

All mine says, and all it has ever said, is "View Product", "Unfollow", and the health ratings privacy etc.

When I got to Control Ultimate Edition, the 3 dots menu says Unfollow, Control - PS4, and then the health rating, etc.
I mean...I just downloaded only the PS5 version, so I don't know what to tell you. The PS5 interface is a wonky pile of shit though.

Edit: To be clear, I do believe you. I think there's been times when I wanted to download only the PS5 version of a game and couldn't without downloading the PS4 version as well.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly offtopic then since it's about triggers. In Astro the right trigger always has feedback, the left one does not... Is that normal? :P
When you are flying the rocket or move in the monkey suit for example, both triggers should have equal adaptive tension and feedback.
I noticed it when swinging around in Miles Morales. The weird thing is, that it's definitely less noticeable with my other DualSense controller.
I mostly can hear it engage and disengage. I can't really feel the controller shake when this happens or anything like that. I probably wouldn't even noticed this if Control doesn't for some reason disengage/re-engage the trigger every time you press triangle.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I finished the campaign on the original vanilla release on Xbox One. I nabbed the Ultimate Edition when it was on sale in Black Friday, thinking I could just transfer my saves and experience the DLC content right after (didn't even cost me anything extra thanks to re-selling the original version).

I only just found out now that saves don't transfer over. Goddamit.

Anyway, now I have the Ultimate Edition on box Series X and PS5 (courtesy of PS+), so since I have to start over either way, I wanted to know which version is overall better in regards to performance, features, etc. I imagine the PS5 version would be more immersive with the dualsense, but I wanted to know if there was a big difference in visuals?

Also how far into the campaign do you need to go in order to access the DLC?

Oct 29, 2017
I finished the campaign on the original vanilla release on Xbox One. I nabbed the Ultimate Edition when it was on sale in Black Friday, thinking I could just transfer my saves and experience the DLC content right after (didn't even cost me anything extra thanks to re-selling the original version).

I only just found out now that saves don't transfer over. Goddamit.

Anyway, now I have the Ultimate Edition on box Series X and PS5 (courtesy of PS+), so since I have to start over either way, I wanted to know which version is overall better in regards to performance, features, etc.

Also how far into the campaign do you need to go in order to access the DLC?
Foundation is post-ending, AWE is after the 7th(?) main mission.

Oct 28, 2017
But I don't want to miss out on anything story-wise. Control's not the worst offender of this (Doom Eternal comes to mind) but I do wish action games would find a better way to add lore and backstory than breaking the pace so I can read paragraphs of text...at least most of Control's are relatively short.
I guess I would amend my protip then to maybe ignore them when you're not in the mood to read, but if you feel like you want to do a "codex day" or something and just read some lore it's there for you. No reason to force yourself to do something you don't want to do or breaks the flow.

Mar 31, 2018
When you are flying the rocket or move in the monkey suit for example, both triggers should have equal adaptive tension and feedback.

Thanks, definately something not right then. Already had some issues with my DS being extremely sensitive on it's sticks in many, many, maaany games so I really do wonder if there's just something wrong. I did not have those issues on my DS4 / PS4. Especially shooters are hard to play.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Playing it for the first time here on PS5 and Series X. So far on PS5 I'm into the performance mode. Yes RT mode looks better but damn it's so sluggish comparatively.

Does anyone know if the vibrations on the DualSense is something new for PS5 or was that vibration in the original PS4 game?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I mean...I just downloaded only the PS5 version, so I don't know what to tell you. The PS5 interface is a wonky pile of shit though.

Edit: To be clear, I do believe you. I think there's been times when I wanted to download only the PS5 version of a game and couldn't without downloading the PS4 version as well.

Yeah I feel like back in early PS5 days I was in your position. Everything was easy peasy but some were simply unable to get it to work right now matter what instructions they followed like me.

Hopefully that's something they fix soon considering there are big crossgen games on the Horizon.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The actual gameplay parts (the movement, shooting, upgrade systems) seem pretty eh. The world is pretty awesome so far though.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Thomas Puha vidaisonline Is it possible to investigate adding all of the missing outfits (pre-order outfits, astral dive suit) to the next gen versions via a patch?

To me it doesn't make sense that the previous gen standard edition with season pass has more content than the next gen Ultimate Edition.

It seems like it would be a nice PR win for minimal effort.

Last edited:

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Series X has the same problem, it looks awful especially if you jump straight up.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Playing it for the first time here on PS5 and Series X. So far on PS5 I'm into the performance mode. Yes RT mode looks better but damn it's so sluggish comparatively.

Does anyone know if the vibrations on the DualSense is something new for PS5 or was that vibration in the original PS4 game?
It's new, you didn't get the vibrations when Jesse runs, for example. And if they were just the rumble from the PS4 game it would probably feel a lot buzzier.

I'm usually okay with sacrificing framerate for enhanced visuals as long as the framerate is solid. This is one of those games that just looks extra awful at 30 frames though, camera movement and blur look gross and juddery, switching over to 60 frames completely eliminated that problem. It's a shame though because with RT on it looks significantly different to the game I played first time around, without it it mostly just looks the same but cleaner (and at an actual good frame rate).

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
So, playing this for the first time, I've like 30mins into the game, and I just have one question:
tenor.gif

What are those voices?
Why Jesse appears to be talking with herself?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how annoying it was in early game when you can get one shot by an enemy sneaking up behind you with melee

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018

Yes, this is how it works for me too.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Loving the gameplay so far but I really hate when they tell stories like this. I know it will eventually make sense but I'm so confused right now and I hate that.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
So, playing this for the first time, I've like 30mins into the game, and I just have one question:
tenor.gif

What are those voices?
Why Jesse appears to be talking with herself?

I mean, you're just 30 mins into the game and you expect everything to be revealed? This is what you're supposed to uncover by playing the game.

Loving the gameplay so far but I really hate when they tell stories like this. I know it will eventually make sense but I'm so confused right now and I hate that.

I'm really surprised at these takes. The story is really not that complex, why do you hate not knowing everything from the start?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
So I feel like I am going to destroy my index finger by the end of this gen. Is there a quick way to turn off dual sense triggers?

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm experiencing frequent crashes on the Series X, whenever some interface overlay is going to happen.

A few examples include:
–Trying to zoom in on a correspondence file I'd just collected;
–Just after talking with Marshall for the first time, when I believe a "New Objective" text was going to pop up;
–When a Bureau Alert was going to pop up;
–When I tried entering the Options menu mid-game to adjust some settings;
–Literally when I tried looking at the map.

These crashes have been happening at random and I'm constantly expecting them whenever I need to look at the map or open the menu. Haven't lost any progress, thankfully, but reboot the game over and over is frustrating, no matter how quick it is.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, definately something not right then. Already had some issues with my DS being extremely sensitive on it's sticks in many, many, maaany games so I really do wonder if there's just something wrong. I did not have those issues on my DS4 / PS4. Especially shooters are hard to play.
Was it you explaining that crazy problem with Cyberpunk deadzone, that sounded like it messed up the controller globally? If that was you, I think your controller might have some problem with electronics. Especially if one of the triggers is also not working right. I'm curious, can you try resetting that controller, and then pair it with some other PS5? Just to try and eliminate any possibility of some software mess-up.

So I feel like I am going to destroy my index finger by the end of this gen. Is there a quick way to turn off dual sense triggers?
You can adjust the trigger strength in game's control settings. You can also adjust the strength of this functionality globally (or disable it completely) in the PS5 controller settings.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
Was it you explaining that crazy problem with Cyberpunk deadzone, that sounded like it messed up the contrller globally? If that was you, I think your controller might have some problem with electronics. Especially if one of the triggers is also not working right. I'm curious, can you try resetting that controller, and then pair it with some other PS5? Just to try and eliminate any possibility of some software mess-up.

Nah, wasn't me. It does feel like software problem indeed. I can't recall having many issues before that console + controller firmware update early december (?) and when I still had my DS4 it acted the way I was used to so I really started to notice it later on when I got rid of the DS4 and Pro.

It's really odd. I went through 400 PS4 games to test and record the BC and in some videos you can actually see me struggle quite a bit with the controls so it looks like I mess up on intend for the lulz but I am not. I am not good at shooters, not at all, but it shows of really well there. Or in Assetto Corsa / NFS games where one twitch just made me spin already, it makes things unplayable.

... But it doesn't happen in all games. Which is the oddest part.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I started this earlier on PS5, it's fun though a bit weird at times. Certainly a lot of Metroid Prime vibes, though it doesn't feel like a Metroidvania game. I'm playing on Fidelity mode, looks really nice, though 60 fps felt very smooth and it was overly tempting at first, but I liked seeing the ray traced reflections, the Oldest House lobby seems like a great bait for rt. Also, loading speeds feel insanely fast, really impressive.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
lmaooo YOOOO I thought my R2 button was busted for a second. All I have been playing is last gen games. this shit is crazyyy