• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, checked online but didn't find the answer: Control is actually available on the Xbox GamePass, but it's the original version.

As the Ultimate Edition will come with the next-gen patch to the game on February 2nd, I wondered if the Ultimate was planned to be added to the GamePass, or if the existing Control in the GP will simply switch to the Ultimate edition?

Thanks everyone. 🙏
the chances of that happening anytime soon are pretty much 0

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Playing on PC, Steam version. The game keeps locking up on load screens and failing to save progress. Loving the game otherwise, but this is super frustrating.
I have similar issues as well on PC but playing with the gamepass version. It seems to be a pretty buggy game from everything I've read on Reddit.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone, checked online but didn't find the answer: Control is actually available on the Xbox GamePass, but it's the original version.

As the Ultimate Edition will come with the next-gen patch to the game on February 2nd, I wondered if the Ultimate was planned to be added to the GamePass, or if the existing Control in the GP will simply switch to the Ultimate edition?

Thanks everyone. 🙏

sorry I'm going to with option 3, the gamepass remains base with no next gen upgrade

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see that happening, simply because it'd essentially constitute a "free" upgrade -- the very thing 505 doesn't want to offer. I can certainly see the UE being added to Game Pass some months after the original release leaves the catalogue, though.
the chances of that happening anytime soon are pretty much 0
sorry I'm going to with option 3, the gamepass remains base with no next gen upgrade

Yeah, that's what I was (unfortunately) expecting as the patch not really being a current game patch for next gen.

Thanks everyone for your answers!

Feb 19, 2018
I hope they patch the PC Gamepass version something fierce because I'm really interested in the game, but I had to uninstall it for now.

Besides options like DLSS not working, there are SERIOUS performance issues, like having to completely disable all the fancy lighting reflection stuff because they turn the game into a slideshow... even though supposedly my PC should be capable of running some of them with good FPS (got a 1060 6GB and an I5 7600k and am only playing on 1080p too). Also there is sound stuttering during some ingame cutscenes. And crashes (one time the game refused to go past the Loading screen after clicking New Game and crashed until I disabled Vsynch <.<).

But the real kicker was my save file data getting deleted. I only made it a bit past the janitor during my first day playing the game, but boy is clicking on Continue Game and the game starting from the beginning soul crushingly demotivating...

I know the game has a good reputation on other plattforms, but boy is the low user ranking on Gamepass justified right now. Remedy dropped the ball hard and Microsoft needs to put some serious pressure on them.

The Witness is coming out in two days, once I've beaten that I'll try playing this game again.

Last edited:

RandomError

Oct 27, 2017
I have similar issues as well on PC but playing with the gamepass version. It seems to be a pretty buggy game from everything I've read on Reddit.

Curious. I thought that a combination of the Steam overlay and save syncing was causing my issues, as disabling both allowed me to play the back half of the game and DLC with zero crashes or progress lost. Outside of those, I don't recall encountering any bugs in the minute to minute gameplay.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I hope they patch the PC Gamepass version something fierce because I'm really interested in the game, but I had to uninstall it for now.

Besides options like DLSS not working, there are SERIOUS performance issues, like having to completely disable all the fancy lighting reflection stuff because they turn the game into a slideshow... even though supposedly my PC should be capable of running some of them with good FPS (got a 1060 6GB and an I5 7600k and am only playing on 1080p too). Also there is sound stuttering during some ingame cutscenes. And crashes (one time the game refused to go past the Loading screen after clicking New Game and crashed until I disabled Vsynch <.<).

But the real kicker was my save file data getting deleted. I only made it a bit past the janitor during my first day playing the game, but boy is clicking on Continue Game and the game starting from the beginning soul crushingly demotivating...

I know the game has a good reputation on other plattforms, but boy is the low user ranking on Gamepass justified right now. Remedy dropped the ball hard and Microsoft needs to put some serious pressure on them.

The Witness is coming out in two days, once I've beaten that I'll try playing this game again.
Your card does not support Dlss and raytracing acceleration, so its perfectly normal that it turns into a slideshow.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I love the game but it was crappy to force me to buy the game again even though I owned the season pass as well. And I bought it at full price, too.

I got the ultimate edition during the new year's sale just to get the next gen upgrade. I hoped they would throw in a new skin or two or something like that but no. Exactly the same game.

But, ok, I got it anyway and will replay it when the next gen patch hits.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Used $20 psn card for the ultimate edition upgrades next week, instead of playing it on gamepass. Hope it's worth it lol

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Fbw.gif

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The upgrade is great on Xbox Series X. Such a huge difference over last gen, regardless of which mode you pick.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I was near the end of the game I believe. Gonna just start a new game under the Ultimate Edition. I'm assuming my old save will be visible so it doesn't get overwritten with the new one?

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
Just chiming in to say I gave up on playing on Gamepass PC cause I keep getting game crashes roughly 3 hours into the game. Sucks cause while I knew literally nothing about the game going in, completely loved the feel to the action/movement/gunplay. Plays stupidly good on K+M. Gonna keep my eyes on this thread and hope the PS5 version isn't as buggy. Gonna suck to restart it but oh well.

Apr 24, 2018
Hmm...so the Ultimate Edition just downloaded for me. I've had the icon for the Series X|S optimized Ultimate Edition version since I purchased it a couple of months ago, but I also have another icon for Control that's not labeled as the Ultimate Edition. I'm presuming I currently have both the base version and Ultimate Edition installed and that I'm okay to delete the non-Ultimate Edition? They're both about 42 gigs.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm...so the Ultimate Edition just downloaded for me. I've had the icon for the Series X|S optimized Ultimate Edition version since I purchased it a couple of months ago, but I also have another icon for Control that's not labeled as the Ultimate Edition. I'm presuming I currently have both the base version and Ultimate Edition installed and that I'm okay to delete the non-Ultimate Edition? They're both about 42 gigs.
Correct.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Please people, tell us if the triggers are well implemented on PS5.
They are well implemented. Each weapon form has its own use of the triggers from the shotgun that has a slightly stronger pull and shakes when fired to the piercing shot that rattles when ready to fire.

Haptic feedback is great too. It does the thing Astro did where you can feel each step Jesse takes and there's some good vibrations.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
So, can i download the ps4 version of ultimate, load my save and then transfer to ps5?
How would.it work?

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
well, since I can't transfer my save, I'm gonna go through the game and plat it again. time to bring back the good old grip, pierce, and throw build.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
No. The UE on PS5/XSX is a different version of the engine and the saves aren't compatible with the PS4/XBO UE.
This kind of bummed me out, I had a save with everything upgraded and nice mods ready to play the dlc for the first time (which I never got around to).
But the idea of starting again with the next gen upgrades actually would be more fun.
I often see LTTps and posts of people not enjoying this game but it hit just the right note with me so jumping back in will be fun.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Loving the upgrade on Series X. Having originally played on PS4 Pro this is a much better experience. Gonna stick with performance mode as while I love the RT here, I just can't give up the great feeling of 60 FPS.

It also doesn't randomly chug anymore when opening the map so that makes it better by default. Just out of curiosity, was that ever fixed in the original version?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
rt is fine i guess, but 30fps feels so jarring if you keep changing back and forth between the modes.
if im gonna replay this game it'll definitely be with performance mode. that actually feels like a totally different experience than i had on ps4 pro

loving dualsense implementation as well

Last edited:

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the upgrade on Series X. Having originally played on PS4 Pro this is a much better experience. Gonna stick with performance mode as while I love the RT here, I just can't give up the great feeling of 60 FPS.

It also doesn't randomly chug anymore when opening the map so that makes it better by default. Just out of curiosity, was that ever fixed in the original version?
I forgot about how clunky and slow the menu was even after patches.
On ps5 playing it via back compat for 5 minutes as a test and the menus were much more responsive, which after over 30 hours on ps4pro actually felt weird ;)

Looking forward to checking out RT but 60 is too tempting.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

I'm with ya. I'm playing on PS5 and thought I might play the game with RT on, but after switching over from performance mode it almost looks like stop motion animation, haha. I just can't go back when the 60fps mode is so much smoother.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
PS5 quality mode looks like the PS4 Pro version of the game with ray tracing, the amount of post-processing effects and all the other weird image construction things Remedy has going on with their engine makes the resolution bump borderline imperceptible. Not terribly impressed, frankly. Performance mode is probably the way to go unless RT is a big deal to you.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
PS5 quality mode looks like the PS4 Pro version of the game with ray tracing, the amount of post-processing effects and all the other weird image construction things Remedy has going on with their engine makes the resolution bump borderline imperceptible. Not terribly impressed, frankly. Performance mode is probably the way to go unless RT is a big deal to you.

I think it looks decently better when I turn film grain off (I honestly don't like film grain in any game) but yeah, I agree that the 60fps feels like a bigger bump, especially since it has the same resolution as the graphics mode.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
This kind of bummed me out, I had a save with everything upgraded and nice mods ready to play the dlc for the first time (which I never got around to).
But the idea of starting again with the next gen upgrades actually would be more fun.
I often see LTTps and posts of people not enjoying this game but it hit just the right note with me so jumping back in will be fun.

It aint the same thing as old saves working, but dont forget the game's options include the Assist Mode, which gives you one shot kills, immortality, snap aim and several other options that you can use to make the game a lot easier for you, so you can progress faster if you wish. There's no penalty in using these options - you still get your Achievements and Trophies.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I spent some of the weekend checking out Control Ultimate Edition on next gen consoles. Not only is the game the most impressive ray-tracing title I've seen yet, it has the best use of haptics with the DualSense controller since AstroBot.

My impressions:

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I have installed the PS5 version but can see it seemed to auto queue the PS4 version for download as well, is that normal?

Also how do you access the DLC for ultimate edition on PS5, I cant see any menu - or do you need to download that separately?