• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
is this a smart delivery thing where I can play on PC too?
No. Smart Delivery is for Xbox One games that get free enhancements for Series X|S. Play Anywhere is for games that are crossbuy on Xbox and PC. Control isn't a Play Anywhere game.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey ERA, I have a couple of questions about this game:

1) How does this run on base PS4? I'm probably building a PC next year, but if its playable, I might grab it on PS4 instead. I don't mind 30fps with some drops, especially if the game's pace is designed around it.
It performs pretty badly on the base consoles, even the One X and PS4 Pro don't run it especially well. The Series X smooths It out though. It's basically a next gen game that was released too early.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Damn...that sucks. It makes no sense that the PS5 wouldn't smooth out the gameplay a bit...unless this is just a really unoptimized game (which is likely the case).
Can't speak for that person experience but for me it feels better on the ps5 then on my Pro. Even bringing up the map or menu doesn't slow down the game. Unlike when i'm on the pro.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the physical version contains everything on disc or is it just the main game on disc while expansions are dlc voucher codes?

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
It performs pretty badly on the base consoles, even the One X and PS4 Pro don't run it especially well. The Series X smooths It out though. It's basically a next gen game that was released too early.
Ah, that's a bummer. I'm not too surprised, though. I remember before launch, this title was a poster-child for raytracing.

Quoting the other half of my post for visibility:
2) How is the combat in this game? Is it chill with a bigger focus on finding the right tools to take out your enemies (like the Metroid Prime series), or is more about who shoots first? I prefer playing twitch shooters with a mouse and a high framerate, but if the meat of this game lies in its exploration, and I can at least lower the difficulty without missing out on much, I'll bite.

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy it in prep for the next gen patch but knowing my luck it'll be 1080p with ray tracing at 30fps or something

I just want ultra 4k60 no RT (or minimal rt)

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
2) How is the combat in this game? Is it chill with a bigger focus on finding the right tools to take out your enemies (like the Metroid Prime series), or is more about who shoots first? I prefer playing twitch shooters with a mouse and a high framerate, but if the meat of this game lies in its exploration, and I can at least lower the difficulty without missing out on much, I'll bite.
Combat isn't anything special.

You are pretty squishy on normal difficulty i would say. Enemies do high damage quickly if you're not being offensive as the game wants you to be moving instead of hiding behind cover. In terms of guns i stuck to a rail gun type for pretty much the whole game, you end up having a few standard options in that regard. As for the powers the grab debris and toss it at everything pretty much always works. The game does have some BS optional bosses that did I had to power through cuz i'm a completionist.

Exploring, reading, and story were the 3 aspects that i found enjoyable by the end.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Picked it up to try on my Series X, looks pretty nice even without the patch but it is not what I was expecting. Weird game where I am awkwardly wandering around with mediocre fight mechanics.

Just the first entry level but not sure if this is for me.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy it in prep for the next gen patch but knowing my luck it'll be 1080p with ray tracing at 30fps or something

I just want ultra 4k60 no RT (or minimal rt)
If they're already selling this for $20, it's going to be super cheap by the time the next gen version hits. You'll probably be able to snag this for $10 at some point next year. I'm waiting until the next gen version launches, then I'm waiting for a $10-$15 sale.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak for that person experience but for me it feels better on the ps5 then on my Pro. Even bringing up the map or menu doesn't slow down the game. Unlike when i'm on the pro.

That's good to hear...my only experience was on the X1X and it was mostly fine aside from some some of the more hectic firefights. PS5 should be much better than that. Gonna start it up soon to find out I guess.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Will it have a separate trophy list on PS5 ? I already platinumed the game when I tried it on PS5.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
That's good to hear...my only experience was on the X1X and it was mostly fine aside from some some of the more hectic firefights. PS5 should be much better than that. Gonna start it up soon to find out I guess.
I'll add also that I tried the infamous research sector that DF covered. I didn't see any slowdowns during that section.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
£17.50 in the UK, which is a brilliant deal considering I've not played it. Would purchase and wait for the Series X update.
This is what I'm doing. Good thing too because I don't really have time to play it now.

I almost always stock up on deals for games I missed at this time of year and play them throughout the year. Just scooped up Return to Arkham for 10 bucks.

So are base game and season pass owners blocked from next gen upgrade?

Yeah, it's pretty shitty.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone confirm this runs at a locked 30fps now on PS5?

It runs better. And loads faster. I've noticed less texture pop in and that crazy stuttering and blur right after you fast travel. I don't think it was built in a way that automatically takes advantage of the hardware upgrade. But I don't think I have a keen eye for that stuff.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Combat isn't anything special.

You are pretty squishy on normal difficulty i would say. Enemies do high damage quickly if you're not being offensive as the game wants you to be moving instead of hiding behind cover. In terms of guns i stuck to a rail gun type for pretty much the whole game, you end up having a few standard options in that regard. As for the powers the grab debris and toss it at everything pretty much always works. The game does have some BS optional bosses that did I had to power through cuz i'm a completionist.

Exploring, reading, and story were the 3 aspects that i found enjoyable by the end.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll wait to grab this one on PC. I don't mind twitch shooters, but I just don't find them as fun without pointer controls.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey ERA, I have a couple of questions about this game:

1) How does this run on base PS4? I'm probably building a PC next year, but if its playable, I might grab it on PS4 instead. I don't mind 30fps with some drops, especially if the game's pace is designed around it.

The base PS4 has a lot, and I mean a lot, of freezing and frame rate issues when you're using the menus or getting into big fights. It does handle a lot of the game fine but it clearly can't handle the more demanding parts of it. Of course I still played the game and both dlc and beat all of it on a base PS4 so I wouldn't say it's unplayable, but it's not the ideal experience.

As for the combat, it's very environmental. Yeah you have guns and there's a lot of pewpewpew going on, but just as important if not moreso is the use of the environment itself - whether you're destroying cover, throwing walls at enemies, throwing enemies at enemies, throwing grenades back at enemies... due to the way ammo works (it recharges once depleted or after a short period of time of not shooting), you do need to use your telekinesis a lot, especially in the more hectic fights. Being able to hover and dash is integral too, since you take a lot of damage.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Definitely worth buying. I picked it up on PC recently and glad I did. It runs much better than it did on my PS4

starsleep3

Oct 25, 2017
I suck at this game. Not ashamed to say I wish it had an easy difficulty so I could enjoy the story more. Couldn't get past the first flying boss dude.
:(

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh should I buy control a third time? Basically th same price as getting the dlc on pc.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh should I buy control a third time? Basically th same price as getting the dlc on pc.

I double dipped because I grabbed a Series X instead of a PS5 for now and the difference is kinda nuts already. No huge freezing, no framerate issues, a much higher resolution... I'm very impressed. 🤔

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
On ps5 from what I tried, looks like locked 30. Image is 1080p tho so looks a bit soft. But had 1 trophy left for the platinum so had to take it on ps5! I mean, triple dipping is already nuts enough so a trophy is a sane reason...right?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
This isn't a terrible deal, considering I never bought the season pass nor any of the DLCs. I only have the base version of the game I bought for like $20 on a sale.

However, I'm still apprehensive about buying it, firstly because I do not wish to support 505s lack of an upgrade path for people who bought the original season pass, and secondly, because we don't have a solid ETA for the next gen version. It's just a vague promise and it could take months; a year. Who knows?

Will there be something like a $9.9 upgrade pass?

Not at the moment.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who's interested on the game should go ahead and buy it!! Really loved all of it.

I paid that for the season pass (0 regret) It's a shame for those of us who bought it physical and don't have a discount or something lol

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want get Control but seriously, I won't get anything until the next gen versions are available and see if the Series S version have excellent performance.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Is it likely that if the XSXPS5 patch comes out before Easter, that it'll be on sale for around the same price during Easter?

Won't be playing before the patch comes out, but also not sure when the price will fall this low again...

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I waited to play second dlc .... I want 60fps ... but if I can't import my Xbox one save I'll buy it on ps5 for probably dual sense ... but if i can get my save ... I'll stay in Xbox. What a i doing

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I already have it on PC but I would perfectly double dip for it, problem is that there is no info on whats included in the XSX/PS5 update and I don't want to be locked to 30 fps.

the chris

Dec 31, 2017
Ended up buying the PS4 version through the PS5 for the next gen upgrade. Is the icon supposed to be any different on the dashboard? It still looks like the regular edition but when I checked the PlayStation store it shows the Ultimate Edition as installed.