• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, since Auto HDR is only for BC titles, unless I'm mistaken.
You're mistaken. Auto HDR is across all titles, unless Microsoft finds that Auto HDR produces either a broken or compromised experience.

Taken from Digital Foundry's article on the feature:

It's an algorithm calibrated by Microsoft on a per-game basis, to boost elements on-screen towards a peak brightness value we'd expect of HDR. We're told the feature will be disabled on certain titles, based on whether or not it's a clear improvement.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Framerate > RT all day everyday. I just feel people are being unreasonable expecting 1400p with 60fps RT. Not possible with how demanding this game is.
I think it's impressive enough as it is. Not many pc video cards would be able to run this game with RT at 1440p without dlss. That's not even considering other factors like a small team working on this port, a brand new set of console hardware and covid. I think people need to keep expectations in check.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's impressive enough as it is. Not many pc video cards would be able to run this game with RT at 1440p without dlss. That's not even considering other factors like a small team working on this port, a brand new set of console hardware and covid. I think people need to keep expectations in check.
Gosh we need more reasonable users like yourself around here. Like honestly if people cared this much about resolution/framerate/RT etc they would buy gaming pc's. Me I'm just waiting to update my gpu/cpu.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
You're mistaken. Auto HDR is across all titles, unless Microsoft finds that Auto HDR produces either a broken or compromised experience.

Taken from Digital Foundry's article on the feature:
I don't think there are any examples of it working on an S/X game at the moment. I would assume the feature uses some computational power that works fine for back compat games but is reserved for actual performance in S/X games.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I really wanna see how this runs on console vs the lower end RTX cards. Maybe even the 3050 ti will put up a fight when it comes out.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna see how this runs on console vs the lower end RTX cards. Maybe even the 3050 ti will put up a fight when it comes out.
It's going to run a lot better with RTX cards because the game runs much better with nVidia RTX GPUs vs AMD GPUs. An RTX card with DLSS engaged will probably blow away these consoles to be honest.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
This game was the first that punished my 1070 hard so I expected compromises. Still impressed, even probably not turning RT on ever. Well, maybe once to see the reflections and if the framerate holds.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Ok, 'massive' is subjective (and probably, rightly pointed out, incorrect).

But they did reduce the density of pedestrians - and removed their shadows - and reduced their update rate in the RT reflections. My larger point being that they didn't just knock the resolution down to 1080p-1440p and call it a day. They made cutbacks to reach that and not all games are going to have things like large groups of pedestrians that can be cut back/have their quality lowered to make up for the doubling of framerate. Like Control for instance. It's mostly empty corriders in an office block with shiny windows.

Like, I'm sure there are plenty of cutbacks that can be made (and probably have done, to be fair). But I worry we've been spoiled by how Miles got down to a very decent 60fps with raytracing and now fans expect that in every game. As seen by all the 'no 1080p 60fps RT mode?!' comments in here like it's the easiest thing in the world now.

Looking at it here, they've probably halved(?) the amount of pedestrians in the reflections and nothing has shadows. Not the people, the tree, the awnings on the doors and windows etc. They definitely did the work.

Z.png

Z.png

This game actually sits at 1440p for most of the time, even goes to 4K native at some points during 60fps rtx mode

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there are any examples of it working on an S/X game at the moment. I would assume the feature uses some computational power that works fine for back compat games but is reserved for actual performance in S/X games.
Ah, good point and I stand corrected. My brain was somewhere in la-la-land, so my apologies.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
1440p/60fps is how I played Control on my RTX 3070 PC. It looked fantastic, you guys are in for a treat.

I was able to run it at that performance with ray tracing on, but it will still be gorgeous without it.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Finished it in performance mode on the Series X and it was already pretty great looking considering it was just powering through One X version.
I'll take any enhancements as long as it keeps the 60 fps intact. Been waiting for this to tackle the expansions..
Loved the game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Probably not, since Auto HDR is only for BC titles, unless I'm mistaken.

Unless something changed, I think I was able to play the vanilla version of Control with Auto HDR, and the results were better than I expected (though not a total "show-stopper"). Auto HDR can work on new/current-gen stuff too.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Unless something changed, I think I was able to play the vanilla version of Control with Auto HDR, and the results were better than I expected (though not a total "show-stopper"). Auto HDR can work on new/current-gen stuff too.

That's an Xbox One game though (ie, a 'Durango' SKU), which is part of the BC program.

I have never seen Auto HDR on a 'current gen' (ie, 'Scarlett' SKU) game, and I've always seen Auto HDR mentioned in the context of BC (Xbox One, 360, OG Xbox), though I haven't seen any confirmation that it cannot be applied to native Xbox Series titles. Microsoft just hasn't been clear on this so far.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That's an Xbox One game though (ie, a 'Durango' SKU), which is part of the BC program.

I have never seen Auto HDR on a 'current gen' (ie, 'Scarlett' SKU) game, and I've always seen Auto HDR mentioned in the context of BC (Xbox One, 360, OG Xbox), though I haven't seen any confirmation that it cannot be applied to native Xbox Series titles. Microsoft just hasn't been clear on this so far.

I'm just saying we know it can work on current gen, and that it already worked with the output on the XB1 version. The next-gen version hasn't been released, so obviously we won't know for sure if it's enabled until we play it.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
So I'm not going crazy? I just started playing Quantum Break on my XSX and the ghosting is pretty bad in some places and then suddenly it's like non-existent.

You're not crazy my friend.

In Quantum Break, the Northlight engine (in the regular Xbox One) creates a final output of a 1080p image from 4 reconstructed 720p internal samples.

The overall result from an static scene is crisp and very detailed (because there's almost 4 identical images), while anything that relies on movement or high speed objects in the scene creates a severe trace from older samples of the internal reconstruction, resulting in ghosting.

In my honest opinion.... I think its a bad choice. They are all action games with lots of movement and you are always in control of the camera. It blurs every thing..... not to mention the cost per frame, Quantum Break hammers lots of GPU on PC.

This should be used in games with fixed cameras, like The Medium that came out this week for Xbox Series X where you don't control of the fixed angle and there's not a lot of action scenes.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Does everything come on the disc for the ultimate version or is it the base game with codes?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
By current gen you mean Xbox Series? Which Xbox Series games (as in 'Scarlett' SKU when you select information on the console) use Auto HDR?

I'd love for that to be the case; I'm just not sure it is.

"Current-gen" meaning games optimized for Series X/S. I'm under the impression titles like Yakuza Like a Dragon and The Touryst receive Auto HDR, for example.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just saying we know it can work on current gen, and that it already worked with the output on the XB1 version. The next-gen version hasn't been released, so obviously we won't know for sure if it's enabled until we play it.

What current-gen game uses auto HDR? That feature only works with BC games from OG Xbox/360/X1 generations.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So glad this is on PS+!

I refused to buy it all again just because the publisher made up some arbitrary BS about the original version not being upgradable. It's still some of the nicest examples of ray tracing I've seen besides Miles Morales.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That's very surprising, I always thought 10TFlops+secret sauces would be enough for 4K 60FPS for almost all the games.
XBX is 6TFlops and it's hardly enough for 4K30 for almost all games. Why would 10TF be enough for 4K60? And that's with just the same graphics as on previous generation.
RDNA2 is more efficient than GCN, sure, but the actual effect of that on highly optimized console code remains a bit of unknown right now.
I won't be surprised if we'll actually be able to use TFs for direct comparisons in consoles, at least when looking at titles/engines which made full use of previous gen h/w.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I may have to give this game another go. I beat the PS4 version, but haven't played any of the DLC. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it, but I'll at least redeem it on PS+ next week. I have limited SSD space (Sony, dude, come on and unlock the expansion slot already!), so I won't download it anytime soon.

Such a cool game, and combat was super fun, especially playing around with the different options perimeters like One Hit Kills, or Super fast Focus recharging. Really excited to see how they implement the Dual Sense and Adaptive Triggers for it. I need more games that utilize those functions well (Astro's Playroom has spoiled me, though)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played Like a Dragon, so I can't comment, but the Touryst does not have Auto HDR.

I also feel we're derailing the thread too much, so I apologize.
I can confirm Like A Dragon does not support Auto-HDR and I don't believe any Series games do.

Ah, thanks for the follow-up. It sounds like you're (both) right about it just being a BC feature. My mistake on that.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I really enjoyed the core game despite some of the clumsy character development and storytelling (it feels like they were aiming to borrow the bad with the good from their X Files inspiration!) I've been sitting on the DLC, in part due to annoyance with the publisher deciding to hold the next-gen updates hostage behind re-buying everything. So I refused at $40 and refused again at $20. Having it drop with PS+ this coming Tuesday? That's the news I needed to jump back in, and I couldn't be happier that Remedy has themselves a new publishing partner.

Frankly, if the 4K reconstruction from a 1440p or 1200p ray traced source is technically sound? Then I expect to thoroughly enjoy the update. The game was always ambitious and beautiful, looking like an early peek at the new generation that struggled to perform on last-gen hardware. That's what I want to see more of, frankly. I'm not interested in 60fps + 4K rehashes of comfortably last-gen visuals. I bought new hardware to see what happens when we push forward with ray tracing, with better materials and lighting, and with physical simulations and animation beyond what was realistic for the past seven years. Control may not deliver on all of it, but it's a good step in the right direction.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
For those that played it, what % of areas would you say would make use of the RT? In something like watch dogs, it looks great at night or when raining, but during the day it's effect is minimal. From footage I've seen, many of the areas are primarily cement rooms and hallways which leads me to think I should just settle for 60fps.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Considering a 3050 ti may be comparable to a RTX 2060 (super?), I would say that DLSS 2.0 in this game really gives a lead regarding performance. I wonder whether the graphics mode really renders at 1440p or it's a dynamic resolution. An RTX 2060 with RT (with all RT effects; GI, Reflections, shadows, debris) is around 20.3 FPS at 1440p. With DLSS that becomes 36.8 FPS. Global Illumination is really expensive so you can assume that disabling that would increase the performance even more.

Nonetheless, It's amazing to see RT effects on these consoles. Digital foundry will probably have a field day when the patch comes out as Control remains one of the most extensive RT games :). It's also really good. The only thing I am afraid of is the words "Up To", but that's probably just to be on the safe side in case a dip is present and someone will call them out for it XD (e.g. Killzone shadowfall situations).

control-rt-2560-1440.png

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the core game despite some of the clumsy character development and storytelling (it feels like they were aiming to borrow the bad with the good from their X Files inspiration!) I've been sitting on the DLC, in part due to annoyance with the publisher deciding to hold the next-gen updates hostage behind re-buying everything. So I refused at $40 and refused again at $20. Having it drop with PS+ this coming Tuesday? That's the news I needed to jump back in, and I couldn't be happier that Remedy has themselves a new publishing partner.

Frankly, if the 4K reconstruction from a 1440p or 1200p ray traced source is technically sound? Then I expect to thoroughly enjoy the update. The game was always ambitious and beautiful, looking like an early peek at the new generation that struggled to perform on last-gen hardware. That's what I want to see more of, frankly. I'm not interested in 60fps + 4K rehashes of comfortably last-gen visuals. I bought new hardware to see what happens when we push forward with ray tracing, with better materials and lighting, and with physical simulations and animation beyond what was realistic for the past seven years. Control may not deliver on all of it, but it's a good step in the right direction.
The 1220p is a typo, its 1440p30fps with RT and 1440p/60fps without RT.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
"Current-gen" meaning games optimized for Series X/S. I'm under the impression titles like Yakuza Like a Dragon and The Touryst receive Auto HDR, for example.

I don't know about the Touryst, but Yakuza does not use Auto-HDR. I have not come across a game using Auto-HDR that is not running in BC mode. IE a game with a Series X|S marker. Only Xbox One, 360, and OG games have come up with the Auto-HDR tag for me.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Weird that there's no graphics mode for Series S. Surely they could manage 1440p 30 fps with no RT?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For those that played it, what % of areas would you say would make use of the RT? In something like watch dogs, it looks great at night or when raining, but during the day it's effect is minimal. From footage I've seen, many of the areas are primarily cement rooms and hallways which leads me to think I should just settle for 60fps.

RT is used in most of the game, in any area with glass or reflective surfaces, and for most of the lighting and shadows. Not every moment is "hey look at that detailed reflection in the glass!", but, it's definitely prevalent.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How close will the RT mode be to the PC experience? I know its not maxed out but I hope its not a huge difference.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
How close will the RT mode be to the PC experience? I know its not maxed out but I hope its not a huge difference.

Based upon the small snippet in the next-gen teaser trailer, I would say it comes close regarding reflections and transparency. I can just hop in that area again just to compare the footage to the PC version, but to my eyes and having played the PC version; I'm impressed.

Trailer: Control Ultimate Edition Next-Gen Teaser Trailer [ESRB] - YouTube

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I guess some of that question depends on where you're playing it and how much of the full rtx implementation they're using.

Full raytracing on PC isn't just reflections. It did raytraced global illumination and debris as well. So even if you weren't staring at a mirrored sheet of glass it'd still be working hard using the other forms.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
This game at 4k rt on ultra pushes my gpu hard. You guys are gonna love this one. I'll have to compare with PS5 vs the Strix for kicks.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Will those activity cards let me jump into different parts of the map from my home screen when starting the game? Cuz that would be dope

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
900p60fps on Series S and no RT option fucking sucks. It's a last gen game. Watch Dogs Legion is an open world game and it has RT. "This is a limitation of the hardware, not the game." Yeah. Why the game is running at 1440p on Series X and PS5?

That's very surprising, I always thought 10TFlops+secret sauces would be enough for 4K 60FPS for almost all the games.

hehe
I blame Remedy's sauce on this one.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Might actually have to go with graphics mode on this one. I made it though fine on PS4 pro so a rock solid 30 with ray tracing sounds gravy.

Unrelated, but this has a seperate trophy list correct? Double Platinum time baby.

edit: oh yeah, did they fix the damn map yet?