• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but I was replying to the "massive reduction" comment. I think they were pretty smart how they handled it because in practice, it doesn't seem like there's a major difference in the amount of pedestrians.

Ok, 'massive' is subjective (and probably, rightly pointed out, incorrect).

But they did reduce the density of pedestrians - and removed their shadows - and reduced their update rate in the RT reflections. My larger point being that they didn't just knock the resolution down to 1080p-1440p and call it a day. They made cutbacks to reach that and not all games are going to have things like large groups of pedestrians that can be cut back/have their quality lowered to make up for the doubling of framerate. Like Control for instance. It's mostly empty corriders in an office block with shiny windows.

Like, I'm sure there are plenty of cutbacks that can be made (and probably have done, to be fair). But I worry we've been spoiled by how Miles got down to a very decent 60fps with raytracing and now fans expect that in every game. As seen by all the 'no 1080p 60fps RT mode?!' comments in here like it's the easiest thing in the world now.

Looking at it here, they've probably halved(?) the amount of pedestrians in the reflections and nothing has shadows. Not the people, the tree, the awnings on the doors and windows etc. They definitely did the work.

Z.png

Z.png

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
So, if the resolution and whatnot are supposedly limitations of the hardware in the case of Xbox Series S, and Remedy felt the need to call that out, then surely that means that we can expect a rock-solid 60 fps, right? If not, then I'd be curious as to why they'd point out that it was a hardware limitation when any system will have inherent limitations. I mean, it's not as though PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X are doing 60 fps with ray-tracing, so they both clearly have limitations, too. This sounds like some weird sort of damage control.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Like, I'm sure there are plenty of cutbacks that can be made (and probably have done, to be fair). But I worry we've been spoiled by how Miles got down to a very decent 60fps with raytracing and now fans expect that in every game. As seen by all the 'no 1080p 60fps RT mode?!' comments in here like it's the easiest thing in the world now.

Oh, sure, yeah, I understood what you mean.

Looking at it here, they've probably halved(?) the amount of pedestrians in the reflections and nothing has shadows. Not the people, the tree, the awnings on the doors and windows etc. They definitely did the work.

Also, I meant the number of actual pedestrians - not the reflections of them. It is very possible there are half of pedestrian RT reflections in the Performance RT mode.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, 'massive' is subjective (and probably, rightly pointed out, incorrect).

But they did reduce the density of pedestrians - and removed their shadows - and reduced their update rate in the RT reflections. My larger point being that they didn't just knock the resolution down to 1080p-1440p and call it a day. They made cutbacks to reach that and not all games are going to have things like large groups of pedestrians that can be cut back/have their quality lowered to make up for the doubling of framerate. Like Control for instance. It's mostly empty corriders in an office block with shiny windows.

Z.png

Z.png
What Miles Morales has shown me (and probably a whole bunch of others) is that even severely cut back RT is better than no RT.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I will give this game another try. I checked out of it on ps4 due to the confusing level design (maybe the worst map in history) and constant collectibles.

Feb 27, 2019
Unless a developer patches an upload/import method into the PS4 version then no saves are compatible with the PS5 version of any game. It's the reason why Spider-Man got such a backlash.

Based on how 505 was going about the UE I never expected them to implement a save import feature from PS4. Really does suck though, especially since they put the ultimate edition of the game out on last gen consoles so early while knowing they weren't going to implement save transfers.

I'm on Series X, so all of the XSX upgrades via Smart Delivery mean your saves work with the next gen version. I assumed even though this was different that 505 would include a save import feature. In fact before I started the game I specifically looked and could have sworn I saw something saying saves would transfer.

Had I known, I would have waited. What a joke!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It looks like HDR still isn't supported. I wonder if Auto HDR will work on XSX?

Probably not, since Auto HDR is only for BC titles, unless I'm mistaken.

Do we know if the PS5 version will be available as a separate download or if the PS4 version will be updated? Asking because I have the UE ready to download and I can save some time starting the download this week in anticipation of the upgrade.

It's a separate download, like all native PS5 versions of games.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
What Miles Morales has shown me (and probably a whole bunch of others) is that even severely cut back RT is better than no RT.
Yes. Every surface feels so lifeless and disconnected without RT. Not just the windows, the streets too. I'll probably start at 30fps with RT and see if I can get used to the lower frame rate.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Man, I know the PS5 and XSX are beasts but the XB1X really sours the jump for me. I already played this on the One X and it looked great. All that power just to get double the framerate. 60fps is awesome, it's just underwhelming for that to be the only thing. I won't even entertain the 30 fps mode. 60 or bust.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Saw some RT footage of this game... yeah if it's a stable 30 fps I'm going with graphics mode. I don't know much about the game, the action doesn't get particularly fast paced right?

I can live with 30 fps as long as I'm not playing a Devil May Cry or Vanquish type of game. Hell, I played A LOT of Bayonetta on PS3.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I know this question is sort of unrelated, but how is the Cloud edition on Switch? I got an ethernet cable running from my router to my switch with a download speed of 200mbps, so should it play fine*?

*Depending on when the servers are working correctly

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of those were made by huge teams
Control had a much larger budget/team than the budget/team behind Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I'd imagine it had a similar budget/team size to games like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or DIshonored 2.

I think it's pretty inarguable that the game has super high hardware requirements and pretty crappy performance considering the visuals it pushes out. There's plenty of games that both look and run better than either Control or Quantum Break.

It is what it is. Still great games.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
People actually forget that Northlight engine is using temporal reconstruction from 4 internal samples (pretty much like Quantum Break).

It creates a beautiful image but with a tons of compromises (in ghosting) and performance. 1440p is astonishing compared to any PC mid-range from 2018. With or without ray tracing.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
People actually forget that Northlight engine is using temporal reconstruction from 4 internal samples (pretty much like Quantum Break).

It creates a beautiful image but with a tons of compromises (in ghosting) and performance. 1440p is astonishing compared to any PC mid-range from 2018. With or without ray tracing.
So I'm not going crazy? I just started playing Quantum Break on my XSX and the ghosting is pretty bad in some places and then suddenly it's like non-existent.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would have hoped for
Wait, I just saw that this was actually a typo. Graphics Mode and Performance Mode are both 1440p:

So 1440p60 or 1440p30 rtx. Will go 60 all the way

any other details on settings? It's disappointing. 1440 can be ok. But it was already 1440p on Xbox one X and quite blurry (AA used in the game ? ). And I can't understand why serie x is « only » twice the framerate than Xbox one x with same resolution. Hope we have more

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would have hoped for

any other details on settings? It's disappointing. 1440 can be ok. But it was already 1440p on Xbox one X and quite blurry (AA used in the game ? ). And I can't understand why serie x is « only » twice the framerate than Xbox one x with same resolution. Hope we have more
There's a good amount of major performance dips on Xbox One X at that resolution though. If it's 30fps locked w/ RT on Series X, that's not so bad.

I do still say that the performance hit impact from ray tracing in pretty much any game is not worth the benefit right now though. I kind of wish these PS5/XSX consoles would've never pushed ray tracing as a feature in the first place. I'd much rather see those resources used elsewhere.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
1440p is better.

I can't imagine a 1800p+ 30fps with no raytracing would have been that much harder to include but it's whatever.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
i guess pc will still be ultimate version, even with my 2070s, game seems to greatly favor nvidia,
add dlss on top and you have so many choices to mix and match settings to get best of both worlds.

still wonder about dualsense implementation.
will def check that now that this is on ps+

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a good amount of major performance dips on Xbox One X at that resolution though. If it's 30fps locked w/ RT on Series X, that's not so bad.

I do still say that the performance hit impact from ray tracing in pretty much any game is not worth the benefit right now though. I kind of wish these PS5/XSX consoles would've never pushed ray tracing as a feature in the first place. I'd much rather see those resources used elsewhere.
You can still have 1440p60. Which isn't enough if the visual settings are the same. Imho.
but still. Will gladly play it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I'm assuming/hoping that it will have other enhancements beyond simply the framerate in performance mode. Would be surprised if that was just exactly the same as the One X but at 60fps. But I don't think they've said.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds great to me, especially with the PS5 version being available to PS+ subscribers. Though weird that they aren't hitting 4K on either system (with a lower resolution for fidelity mode). Perhaps the game really is that demanding.
Also great for Xbox owners since it was just added to Game Pass

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Wow Always thought this version will get HDR. They said last year that it was coming . ..it was the best Time to implement it

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was bummed about the save file thing, but truthfully the game is great and its been long enough for me to hop back in fresh especially with all the DLC AND that I have largely forgotten how to play the game, hah!.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, i've never played this game before.

Do I go with performance mode or Grphics mode? I have 1080p Plasma screen.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Would have hoped for

Control is very compute heavy so RDNA2 improvements over GCN are of less use here than pure compute capabilities.
You get 12TF instead of 6TF, that's 2X so you get 60 fps instead of 30.
At least that would be my take.

Oct 27, 2017
Bummed that saves don't work on next gen but I beat it before they added assist mode. Will just use that to run thru the story before going to DLC

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
No Ray Tracing at 60fps mode??!!!!!

Just kidding. Happy to get 60fps, that's what I've been waiting for before buying this game. Will try the Ray Tracing mode out of curiosity.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I haven't play Miles yet because I am finishing the Remaster first. If Miles is like this, then yes, you are correct. I would rather have a little bit than none at all. I've been playing RT games on PC since it was introduced, and to me, it's one of the best graphical features to date. I am stoked that studios are doing whatever they have to to have it in their games.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Maybe out DF overlords can clarify, but is the base game "real" 1440p on BC, or one of those TAA a la quantum break? I love the game and will play it again at 60fps, but right now it looks blurry, like a 1080p upscaled...