• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Is the dlc playable immediately with a fresh save file? As in I can immediately jump into the dlc without having to get to a certain point in the game?

If not, then ugh, the ultimate edition may as well not exist. Really annoyed at no smart delivery for this game. I got the original 1000/1000 gamerscore on the Xbox One version of the game and I held out on playing the dlc, hoping I could continue the game on Series X - that won't happen unforch. Well, i may do it via backwards compatibility, but I'm hoping to do it on the ultimate edition.
No. From what I've read the second DLC is unlocked after a few missions, and the first one after COMPLETING the game... I've always wanted to play them, but I don't think I'll bother for many years if I have to replay the entire game.

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
oh god damn regarding the save games... at least give us an import feature, that manages the differences.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'll go with 1440p/60 fps, just can't revert back to low frame rate gaming anymore.
Shame the engine they use is so resource hungry. Would have been nice to have a medium between ray tracing and resolution/effects.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
oh god damn regarding the save games... at least give us an import feature, that manages the differences.

Jeez that would have been amazing. The ultimate edition is very annoying. Even if I'm given it for free, I've got no use for it, the way they're handling the save files.

Well, I'll play the dlc on the backwards compatible version I guess.

No. From what I've read the second DLC is unlocked after a few missions, and the first one after COMPLETING the game... I've always wanted to play them, but I don't think I'll bother for many years if I have to replay the entire game.

Thanks bruv.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I think many here are underestimating how great this game looks - it's resource hungry because it's marvelous to look at and does things no other game really does as well.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
A damn shame the Game Pass version is the non UE version.

Lucky PS+ owners. Getting the enhanced version free.
I'm expecting them to change it to the next Gen version on release day. Would see really strange that such a game isn't optimized for X/S but other low key titles are.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Do we know if the PS5 version will be available as a separate download or if the PS4 version will be updated? Asking because I have the UE ready to download and I can save some time starting the download this week in anticipation of the upgrade.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
There are literally three posts on this 8-post page (50p per page hey) talking about that lol
I'm one of them... 😅
Should've clarified:
Anyone else bummed about the BS excuses being made? It's pretty obvious why they're saying it though... They're using the same arguments for why they "couldn't" offer the next-gen upgrades to users who only owned the regular version.

I mean... This did happen:
www.resetera.com

505 Games accidentally does what they said was impossible: Upgrades Digital Deluxe owners of Control to Ultimate Edition, then revokes it. News

I am laughing so hard at these updates. I didn't think it could get any dumber.

We know it's fucking possible. Just lie and say you worked your ass of to fix and resolve it, and we'll gladly accept that excuse. Just make it work.

Last edited:

OzPrime

Oct 29, 2017
You don't seem to realise how demanding RT actually is... It's a miracle we have it at all on consoles.

I'm sure devs will figure things out as the gen progresses. RE:Village was 4K/60 (probably reconstructed 4K, but really well done) with RT reflections. But Control is doing more with its RT-implementation.

The complaints from console owners (I have an XSX) are just staggering. Once again to remind people: a $500 complete console versus a PC requiring a $700+ GPU to get comporable quality As far as I'm concerned, this is still WAY better then previous generation performance.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Good, that I don't have to choose whether to play the game with ray tracing or in 60 FPS because of my Series S.
Thanks, I guess?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The complaints from console owners (I have an XSX) are just staggering. Once again to remind people: a $500 complete console versus a PC requiring a $700+ GPU to get comporable quality As far as I'm concerned, this is still WAY better then previous generation performance.
As low as $400 even, if you account for the PS5 DE (I'd include the S, but it broadly speaking doesn't support RT, and not in this title anyways).

Oct 27, 2017
People seem to be completely overlooking the physics/destruction in this game. Which is somewhat odd when one of the things repeatedly brought up in the nextgen threads prior to release was people wanting/expecting more interactive environments. There's going to be a cost for that and calling something not as optimised as something with a much more static world is completely overlooking why those games are static and/or less interactive.

I was gonna say the same thing. The destruction physics in this game are some of the best I've ever seen, but it surely can't be easy for the poor old CPU to handle.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you can't expect high-end GPU performance from budget consoles but last gen ports are not a good indicative of these machines capabilities.

Feb 27, 2019
Wait, saves don't carry over? That is so dumb. I bought the Ultimate Edition but I wish I'd waited to start it now. How did they screw this up so badly?

I'm 6 hours in and I don't want to restart...Guess I'll keep playing the original game. What a mess.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I kinda think that Miles Morales 60fps/RT mode is giving people false hopes for what other games are gonna do. It had to make sacrifices beyond just lowering the resolution. They massively reduced the pedestrian density and RT shadows.

Did they really? I haven't noticed a massively reduced pedestrian count, and I think Digital Foundry videos show the same. They lowered the overall resolution and the RT resolution. I think the number of pedestrians was slightly reduced, at best.

Feb 27, 2019
I'm sorry I'm still pissed about the saves. Why sell the game early with a next gen upgrade if you can't bring your save game with you?? Surely they realized people would want to do that!

I'm not a kid; I don't have 8 hours lying around to replay where I've gotten to. So infuriating!!

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, saves don't carry over? That is so dumb. I bought the Ultimate Edition but I wish I'd waited to start it now. How did they screw this up so badly?

I'm 6 hours in and I don't want to restart...Guess I'll keep playing the original game. What a mess.
Unless a developer patches an upload/import method into the PS4 version then no saves are compatible with the PS5 version of any game. It's the reason why Spider-Man got such a backlash.

Based on how 505 was going about the UE I never expected them to implement a save import feature from PS4. Really does suck though, especially since they put the ultimate edition of the game out on last gen consoles so early while knowing they weren't going to implement save transfers.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
too bad consoles don't have something like DLSS. Without it RT is such a huge resource hog.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Really dug ray tracing in my initial Miles Morales playthrough but I just don't think it's worth it compared to 60 FPS. Thinking that's gonna be how I play this one.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a shame but it seems really demanding.

Hopefully they leave in the hooks and door open for later down the line with maybe mid gen consoles and next gen or DLSS if that somehow comes around.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
A little disappointing, although understandable, that ray tracing is limited to reflections only. The full fat RT experience on PC is a sight to behold and personally feel it would be worth dropping sub 1080p to enable it on consoles.

It completely tanks performance on the 6800/6800xt though, so I understand why its missing.

Goes to show what a difference DLSS and Nvidia's better RT hardware makes though. I targeted 60fps with all RT effects enabled on my 3070 thanks to DLSS performance. That's a far more visually complex version of the game, running at a much higher resolution at twice the framerate, so in all we're talking about a generational gap. I understand that 4K DLSS performance is technically 1080p but when the end result looks so close to native 4K, I don't think it matters.

Edit: The graphics mode is actually native 1440p? Yeah, that's a real missed opportunity. Should have gone 1080p and showed off what the engine is capable of. Resolution be damned.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Did they really? I haven't noticed a massively reduced pedestrian count, and I think Digital Foundry videos show the same. They lowered the overall resolution and the RT resolution. I think the number of pedestrians was slightly reduced, at best.

The DF video on the 60fps RT Spiderman John said he thinks the range at which pedestrians are included in reflections looked to have been reduced, they had shadows in said reflections removed and update rate of pedestrians in reflections looked half rate.

youtu.be

Spider-Man Remastered PS5 vs PS4 Pro + Performance Ray Tracing 60fps Mode Tested!

Alongside Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Insomniac has updated the original Marvel's Spider-Man to run on PlayStation 5. In this detailed analysis, John...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Reasonable cut backs. This game is really intensive. For a really stable experience at 1440p, 60fps, ultra settings, you need above a 2070 Super, the 3060Ti barely reaches over 70fps.

I imagine the team prioritized a smooth experience over resolution. Specially since a good framerate helps the visual quality too with all the effects the game has.

I expected the Series S to have a 30fps mode with higher resolution though, no RTX is understandable for this type of beast of a game

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
1. They are not rumors.
2. It's not coming any time soon.
3. Remains to be seen how similar it will be.
It's coming. Let's just hope it's even half as great as DLSS is!

www.pcgamer.com

AMD's DLSS alternative won't be ready to rival Nvidia until after launch

The picture of Big Navi and its ray tracing potential is becoming clearer.
I know it's definitely coming to PC, but I don't think we've had firm confirmation as to which consoles might support it unless I missed that.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
Yeah I will be on this one - I think people will be intrigued with what I find and have to say as always. I like remedy games a lot and Northlight - so I cannot wait.
Feels like my man here has early access. 🧐
No rush though. I will wait for the video to choose my graphics option and then start playing it.

Good to know that 1440p is the target for both modes. Makes the RT one way more appealing (and more sense with the new consoles and how AMD GPUs perform as well).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Reasonable cut backs. This game is really intensive. For a really stable experience at 1440p, 60fps, ultra settings, you need above a 2070 Super, the 3060Ti barely reaches over 70fps.

I imagine the team prioritized a smooth experience over resolution. Specially since a good framerate helps the visual quality too with all the effects the game has.

I expected the Series S to have a 30fps mode with higher resolution though, no RTX is understandable for this type of beast of a game
I played the game at 40 to 60 fps on PC so I could have all the fancy ray tracing effects on at 4K (using DLSS naturally). It played great. I've also played it for a few hours on Xbox One X at 30 fps, and it still played nicely.

Options are great, and many will choose the smoother frame rate of course. It is undoubtedly a shooter, but it's one that was designed to feel and play good at 30 fps. I'm going to replay this on PS5 or Series X most likely to see how it holds up, and I'm going to choose lower framerate and ray tracing again.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
1440p for such a demanding game with those effects is more then reasonable.

Been playing lots of 1440p titles on my ps5 and they look fine, especially if the games have good AA solutions which many games have nowadays.

It's been posted already, those DF vids show how demanding this game is even on high end pc hw.

My only real concern is they boost the other details in the game to match the pc high settings or above, the XBX vs PC vid df did had the console version set at detail levels lower then the LOWEST pc setting. With a mix of low and medium settings elsewhere. I really hope they boost visuals across the board.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I played the game at 40 to 60 fps on PC so I could have all the fancy ray tracing effects on at 4K (using DLSS naturally). It played great. I've also played it for a few hours on Xbox One X at 30 fps, and it still played nicely.

Options are great, and many will choose the smoother frame rate of course. It is undoubtedly a shooter, but it's one that was designed to feel and play good at 30 fps. I'm going to replay this on PS5 or Series X most likely to see how it holds up, and I'm going to choose lower framerate and ray tracing again.

For sure, I played it with a 1060 at 1080p medium/mixed, there were places it went as low as 35fps, but loved the game enough to pull through :P

I imagine it'll play smooth on the new machines regardless of the mode.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I know it's definitely coming to PC, but I don't think we've had firm confirmation as to which consoles might support it unless I missed that.
Nothing official yet, but it being open and cross-platform highly suggests it'll come to the consoles as well.

I've previously argued that this could be a "software" upgrade of sorts, which would essentially eliminate the need for midgen hardware upgrades. Both consoles are powerful enough to last an entire generation anyways.

Nov 2, 2017
That a bit of an over exaggeration though. A 3060, which in theory should be a $320 GPU, would probably deliver better results if you enable 2 RT settings in this game. RT in this game hits AMD hardware much harder. Still impressive for a $400-500 console, but you really don't need a 3080 to match these consoles.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a link but they definitely said that it would be a PC/consoles solution.
Which in turn implies that it's unlikely to be anything close to DLSS. But we'll see.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS is the thing that makes this work on PC. Maxed out, full RT, 60fps+... you just can't do it without it (depending on the resolution, of course).

I can get it all maxed at 1080 with a 2080/2700x combo, 60fps+, with DLSS on. To go higher res I'd need one of the 3000 series, and likely a CPU upgrade too. Expecting anything more from these consoles, without DLSS... is not realistic.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The DF video on the 60fps RT Spiderman John said he thinks the range at which pedestrians are included in reflections looked to have been reduced, they had shadows in said reflections removed and update rate of pedestrians in reflections looked half rate.

youtu.be

Spider-Man Remastered PS5 vs PS4 Pro + Performance Ray Tracing 60fps Mode Tested!

Alongside Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Insomniac has updated the original Marvel's Spider-Man to run on PlayStation 5. In this detailed analysis, John...

Sure, but I was replying to the "massive reduction" comment. I think they were pretty smart how they handled it because in practice, it doesn't seem like there's a major difference in the amount of pedestrians.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That a bit of an over exaggeration though. A 3060, which in theory should be a $320 GPU, would probably deliver better results if you enable 2 RT settings in this game. RT in this game hits AMD hardware much harder. Still impressive for a $400-500 console, but you really don't need a 3080 to match these consoles.
My 2080 Ti easily surpasses ray traced reflections and transparent reflections at 30 fps at an equivalent internal resolution. So, yeah. To match these results you definitely don't need the more powerful 3080.