• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Dual sense support sounds tempting, but should I play this on PC instead?
I have an RTX2080and gamepass PC. Or I can play it on PS5 in 60fps on the OLED with no RT.

What is better?

Oct 27, 2017
Can I use my old PS4 saves in the PS5 Ultimate Edition?

I believe saves continue over for both the PS5 and Series X/S ultimate editions.

www.resetera.com

Control Ultimate Edition next-gen enhancements detailed News

From 505's support page: https://support.505games.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019202839-What-is-next-gen-about-Control-Ultimate-Edition-on-PlayStation-5-and-Xbox-Series-X-S- On par with expectations I guess, it is a demanding game. Edit:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Lots of weird stuff here. 1440p, 60 FPS isn't particularly enthralling, nor is 1220p, 30 FPS with RT. I hoped for a bit more, especially given the extra time they've had to work on this, but I suppose this is ultimately fine if those performance targets are actually locked.

The Series S though... that doesn't inspire confidence.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Lots of weird stuff here. 1440p, 60 FPS isn't particularly enthralling, nor is 1220p, 30 FPS with RT. I hoped for a bit more, especially given the extra time they've had to work on this, but I suppose this is ultimately fine if those performance targets are actually locked.

The Series S though... that doesn't inspire confidence.

Both modes are 1440p

www.resetera.com

Control Ultimate Edition next-gen enhancements detailed News

Literally a typo, thats on me. Its 1440p in both modes. Performance Mode ·Targets 60fps performance with 1440p render resolution and 4K output Graphics Mode ·Targets 30fps performance with ray tracing (transparency and reflections) at 1440p render resolution and 4K output

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Was looking forward for a second go at this, but seems like it will run worse than on my PC (RTX 2080). 30fps RT is a no go for me, and 60fps is nice but without RTX, it loses lots of visual impact.

EDIT: I lied. Already on second run. Don't care that much, game is awesome.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
This will be my first look at raytracing! I assume this cuts back on what the PC version offers in that regard, what effects made the cut?

Equally exciting is the inevitable Dictator video 😁

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
This will be my first look at raytracing! I assume this cuts back on what the PC version offers in that regard, what effects made the cut?

Judging from the ray tracing presets in the PC version, it seems console RT will be comparable to medium, perhaps with some concessions in reflection quality.

High = reflections, transparent reflections, indirect diffuse lighting, contact shadows, and debris
Medium = reflections and transparent reflections

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I own the base game + season pass. I really want to play the next-gen version, but the current price on XBL is insulting. Hope it goes on sale again soon, or it gets added to Game Pass as well.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
1440p/60, a la demons' souls, then. You'd have to be insane to accept 1220/30 for reflections...

If Control doesn't deserve Ray Tracing...no game does then.
I mean, look at this:

Imagine this throughout the entire game. It'll be glorious.

I get wanting to play it at 60fps though.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
RT eating 30fps (and 200p, but that's neglectable in the grand scheme of things) for JUST reflections is ridiculous imho.

And i'm all for 30fps games with all the eyecandy I can get, but the occasional reflection does very little to elevate the game's overall visual presentation from its last gen counterpart.

Last edited:

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Check the tweet above: RT mode is 1440p as well.

Kind of surprised they couldn't swing 4k/60 for performance on XSX and Ps5 tho.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Yeah I will be on this one - I think people will be intrigued with what I find and have to say as always. I like remedy games a lot and Northlight - so I cannot wait.
Check the tweet above: RT mode is 1440p as well.

Kind of surprised they couldn't swing 4k/60 for performance on XSX and Ps5 tho.
If you look at the performance without RT on PC you can see that 4K 60 is impossible on XSX or PS5. Very impossible. Control is a much more advanced game with a lot of real time effects where other games use baked ones or fake physics interactions.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah I will be on this one - I think people will be intrigued with what I find and have to say as always. I like remedy games a lot and Northlight - so I cannot wait.

If you look at the performance without RT on PC you can see that 4K 60 is impossible on XSX or PS5. Very impossible. Control is a much more advanced game with a lot of real time effects where other games use baked ones or fake physics interactions.
Fair enough. The game does have a lot of moving parts.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be happy with 30fos with ray tracing given what I put up with on base ps4.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen of ray tracing so far it really isn't worth losing half the framerate.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game really that demanding? If this last gen game is limited to 1440p/30fps/RT now... what will happen when the next Remedy game launches?
Is it possible that the engine is limited to what last gen machines could do and it can only be improved so much without completely remaking the game?

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Is this game really that demanding? If this last gen game is limited to 1440p/30fps/RT now... what will happen when the next Remedy game launches?
Is it possible that the engine is limited to what last gen machines could do and it can only be improved so much without completely remaking the game?
The RT in this game is bananas complex. If you disable it, is fairly light, if a bit CPU heavy.

I recommend watching the deep dive video from DF.

And the next Remedy game will probably be the same if they implement so much RT effects again. The consoles can do RT, but not every effect at the same time. AMD RT implementation have a heavier performance penalty because it does not use specialized hardware for it, when you use it, you "steal" alot of raster performance. Nvidia does it too, but to a much lesser degree.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Can I use my old PS4 saves in the PS5 Ultimate Edition?
So from what I understand, but haven't tested, it's a bit of a ballache.

I've downloaded Conrol Base game on PS5, opened my save file and saved over it.
I've now deleted the game, but the save is still on the PS5 console.

Come next week, I'll need to download Control Ultimate (PS4 ver), open my save file and save again.
Then delete Control Ultimate (PS4)

Then I'll need to download Control Ultimate (PS5 ver), open my save file and continue.

Edit - hoh boy, I was wrong - https://support.505games.com/hc/en-...ver-from-Xbox-One-PS4-to-Xbox-Series-X-S-PS5-

This sucks.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
That's it? We waited so long for this? 1440p 60 with no RT and 1440p 30 with RT?

Oh boy.

Well, better than the 1220p that went around at least.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
People need to watch this analysis so they can grasp an idea of how demanding control is. Even on zen 2 architecture.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I have an RTX2080and gamepass PC. Or I can play it on PS5 in 60fps on the OLED with no RT.

What is better?

Yes, PC for sure. It controls great on mouse/keyboard for one, plus you can easily hold 60FPS with RT and RT GI (missing from consoles) if you use DLSS. I played it through on Steam on my 2080 last year and was well over 60FPS most of the time at 1440p with DLSS (native 900p or something at the settings I was using). Looked great.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It is but I believe it could also be at least partly due to their engine. Quantum Break was hard on ressources too but had some nice effects. Don't know if it's just their engine or if it's just too much for current hardware.

Btw., I hope we can turn off film grain on the console versions.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway

Come next week, I'll need to download Control Ultimate (PS4 ver), open my save file and save again.

Then I'll need to download Control Ultimate (PS5 ver), open my save file and continue.

Edit - hoh boy, I was wrong - https://support.505games.com/hc/en-...ver-from-Xbox-One-PS4-to-Xbox-Series-X-S-PS5-

This sucks.
Oh man, so I have to restart the entire game on my Series X? That just sucks!!

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Yes, PC for sure. It controls great on mouse/keyboard for one, plus you can easily hold 60FPS with RT and RT GI (missing from consoles) if you use DLSS. I played it through on Steam on my 2080 last year and was well over 60FPS most of the time at 1440p with DLSS (native 900p or something at the settings I was using). Looked great.

The game is the poster child for DLSS. AMD needs to get on that ASAP.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

What is better?

I do think the RT adds quite a bit to the atmosphere. It's not like you are missing -THAT- much with it off, but I always felt toggling it off was a noticeable change and definitely preferred it on. Many may shrug though and not concern over what RT adds. Played it through on a 2070 S with everything close to max with DLSS at near 60fps(21:9), so you should be fine.

DualSense may be cool tho and even then, as long as 30fps is smooth, I don't think the combat is so demanding that it requires 60 if you want RT on console.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Resolutions are a bit disappointing, honestly. I guess this means AMD needs to implement a DLSS like solution asap, but I don't know it that would be possible to do on consoles. Surprised they don't even mention dynamic resolution scaling, does their engine not do that even on pc?
At least it'll be playable at 60 fps on consoles (I hope the drops are not too severe in that mode) and I haven't played this on my 4k tv yet, so I'll replay sometime with the dlc and new options I guess.
Adding native HDR support would have been cool too but the game looks good enough as is.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
For just reflections in RT, I think so. If Global Ilumination was in negotiation it would be a much more difficult decision.

RT GI to me is the next-gen effect in Control.
Aye, RT is glorious in Control, but the reflections are the lesser part by A LOT. GI and shadows give the game an eerie ambience, reflections just save you the oddities of SSR distortion when moving the camera.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Is the dlc playable immediately with a fresh save file? As in I can immediately jump into the dlc without having to get to a certain point in the game?

If not, then ugh, the ultimate edition may as well not exist. Really annoyed at no smart delivery for this game. I got the original 1000/1000 gamerscore on the Xbox One version of the game and I held out on playing the dlc, hoping I could continue the game on Series X - that won't happen unforch. Well, i may do it via backwards compatibility, but I'm hoping to do it on the ultimate edition.

DodgeITA

Jan 25, 2018

This sucks.

This really sucks! I only want to play the DLC's, not replaying the whole game.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
I really, really, really hope the graphics mode is a stable 30 FPS although based on the previous gen version, I doubt it. I think raytracing could add a lot to the game but I'm not dealing with sub-30FPS if a 60FPS mode is right there.

Also weird that I suddenly went from "Fuck this game" to hyped now because of PS+.

This so where I'm at too. Did such a 180 yesterday when the news of PS+ was announced!

I'm really excited to see what appears to be a showcase of ray tracing on the PS5, but equally dubious of the frame rate in this mode

Come through, Remedy!