• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
5 minutes I'd never heard of it, now I'm playing Control on my Switch.

Sure could be an interesting future if instead of compromised ports publishers just put out cloud versions. It hampers the portability of the Switch, of course, but it's an interesting compromise over another.

Works as well for me as Stadia, which is to say quick to start and no stutter, and better than GeForce Now and other systems.

ItsBradazHD

Nov 21, 2018
Plays really nicely in the performance mode. Of course, the enhanced graphics mode seemingly having RT is kinda wild, but also is way less smooth to play and you really can tell its streamed due to latency in that mode

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
ElbE2psWMAA9oTP

I love the cloud streaming future! It moved once to 247 in 5 minutes before I closed the app

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so don't reboot the game a lot, every time you do it counts as a session lol. Seems its 3 or 4 sessions limit, I cant access it anymore.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait. What :O
wtf. When did this become a thing on the switch?!
Some publishers have been testing this in Japan since 2017 I believe (or 2018). This is the first time we're seeing it outside of Japan, though. Not a replacement for a native port, but a good alternative if you can't get it to run on the system otherwise (I imagine Control is definitely one of those titles lol).

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked this up on PC a couple days ago, and loving it.

I'm definitely going to try it out on Switch for five minutes, just to see how well Cloud works.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is pretty crazy. One of the best games (and IMO, the best world building in a game) this gen. Hope all those new to it have a great time.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wow the game started instantly (with loading screens inside the game) and I never saw a single hitch. Ran perfectly smooth. Got to Central Control and died twice when it finally ended. I'm usually very sensitive to input lag as well and I felt none where as with stadia and xcloud i felt it.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Downloaded in the German EShop - there is a graphics and a performance mode. Trying the graphics demo.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Okay maybe my internet isn't up to streaming just yet, sometimes it played pretty good, others the delay was extremely noticeable.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Um.....wow. I just played the extremely short demo on performance mode, and I'm blown away. It looks to be a pretty stable 60fps, and the visuals are very good for a Switch game. I'm kind of in awe as I would never dream of seeing Control running on the Switch at 60fps. Too bad the demo is like 5 minutes long. I would have loved to see how the game runs when there's a lot of debris and particles flying everywhere. As it stands, it's absolutely impressive in performance mode. If this is a sign of cloud gaming on the Switch, I'm all in.

I quickly tried it in graphical mode as well, and woof. It runs very poorly, and doesn't look much better than in performance mode.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Trying enhanced graphics mode. Seems to have 30fps and has raytracing effects. Lag seems pretty good but res is low.

Yep, its 30fps with ray tracing in the Graphics mode. Cant quite recall the exact settings and pretty sure we cant even say what they are, but still pretty damn awesome. Pretty smooth streaming for me in Finland.

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
I'm impressed by how well it runs. The thing is...39 dollars for a license in the cloud. To me would make more sense in form of service like xCloud, PSNow and so on.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
I was going to ask how this was going to work when trying to replay the game 2, 5, 10 years from now since you don't really have the game, just access to it. But the game is already unavailable for hundreds of people waiting in a queue?

Yeah, if only you could play it instantly, like with 50GB download games on PS4/XB1.
Except once you download a game you can play it whenever you want.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Um.....wow. I just played the extremely short demo on performance mode, and I'm blown away. It looks to be a pretty stable 60fps, and the visuals are very good for a Switch game. I'm kind of in awe as I would never dream of seeing Control running on the Switch at 60fps. Too bad the demo is like 5 minutes long. I would have loved to see how the game runs when there's a lot of debris and particles flying everywhere. As it stands, it's absolutely impressive in performance mode.

I quickly tried it in graphical mode as well, and woof. it runs very poorly, and doesn't looks better graphically than in performance mode.
It's not running on Switch, and you're not playing a Switch game. You're streaming it. It's still really neat, and I'm excited about what this means for the future.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Between this and Hitman it makes me wonder if Nintendo is opening up for game streaming worldwide. IIRC Resident Evil 7 was released this way for Switch but only in Japan.

It'd be interesting if they partner with Amazon or Google. Or hell, create their own service.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
just downlaoded this and was going to make a thread. Between this and the No More Heroes games, whats up with the shadow drops?

As someone who runs a Switch gameplay focused YouTube channel, I can tell you that shadow drops happen weekly. Maybe not huge titles, but it happens every week. I love it!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yep, its 30fps with ray tracing in the Graphics mode. Cant quite recall the exact settings and pretty sure we cant even say what they are, but still pretty damn awesome. Pretty smooth streaming for me in Finland.
Awesome that you've brought the game to Switch! Do you happen to know if you have any information about internet connection speed requirements published anywhere?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Thanks for confirming! Definitely awesome that raytracing is in and Switch owners will be able to experience it while playing the game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This shit is fascinating, and I love that they're trying it. I hope they're (the royal "they") transparent about them minimum amount of time the cloud version will be available if you do buy it. As long as that's made clear, people can be comfortable making an informed buy.

This is bonkers, and I love it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow the game started instantly (with loading screens inside the game) and I never saw a single hitch. Ran perfectly smooth. Got to Central Control and died twice when it finally ended. I'm usually very sensitive to input lag as well and I felt none where as with stadia and xcloud i felt it.
Wow that's crazy

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
It's not running on Switch, and you're not playing a Switch game. You're streaming it. It's still really neat, and I'm excited about what this means for the future.

Yeah, I was just editing my post to reflect that. Still, it's pretty incredible to see it running that smoothly with the Switch's rather poor wifi. I'm almost tempted to buy it.

broderm

Jun 15, 2020
I was going to ask how this was going to work when trying to replay the game 2, 5, 10 years from now since you don't really have the game, just access to it. But the game is already unavailable for hundreds of people waiting in a queue?

Except once you download a game you can play it whenever you want.

That's my point. Right now is no guarantee that we would still have access to the game if the server were to shut down tomorrow for example. If you at least have in your HDD, there, you have it.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it in graphics mode for a bit and while it's not the cleanest looking game, it's pretty nice. I think it looks cleaner than Doom actually. There's a pretty noticable input delay though not game breaking with my internet and no gyro aiming from what I've tried so far

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Big move for Nintendo and in line with my expectations when they would roll Cloud version out in the west.
Giving Lite/OG users a way to experience these kind of games, probably gonna end up in a sub service for streaming games down the line as well.
The difference is obviously once its installed you don't have to wait in a queue to play a game. It's a dealbreaker when you have limited gaming time.
Why are you acting like this is alway gonna be this way and not just because there are millions of Switch out there and the service is probably being hammered by people trying it out asap.