• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really want to play it but won't because of the EGS, reviews look very solid! Can't wait to pick this up on Steam down the line.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Looking at some of the previews, the movement still looks so floaty. I hated the movement in Quantum Break, and the platforming was a pain.

But aside from that. Everything else looks improved from QB.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Seeing some of the screenshot in the console screenshot thread and by the gods, the game is something else in terms of atmosphere esp. with the lighting.

If FROM are the masters of creating mood from the eastern hemisphere, Remedy is right up there with them from the west.

I can't put my finger on it but it gives me the vibe of old russian building meeting 1950-60s detective (noir-esque) hollywood lighting.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game is at an 81 on MC, but every single person who I've listened to or read talk about this game is absolutely gushing. Just what I've read took me from 0 interest in the game to a day 1 purchase

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have a 1080 hoping to run it at 1440p, anyone got any insight on how that goes?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is with that HUYA logo plastered on the Control page on the EGS?
Tencent dollars bleeding through or what

Oct 25, 2017
Games looks great, but oof on EGS' price control (No pun intended), it's $86 AUD which is hard to swallow for a digital title and game that runs on the shorter side, considering Astral Chain is $69 AUD retail.

It buy this in a heartbeat if I could shave off $10-15.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I just on a whim decided to get the digital pre-order on Xbox One X just now. Will take about an hours and 30 minutes to download and should be good to go at 10pm when it unlocks according to the Xbox Store. I was planning on waiting because I know there will be more patches that may improve things, but from the video's the performance on "X" looks pretty solid with a few dips below 30. I have not bought a game full price since Forza Horizon 4, I have tended to wait till games came to Game Pass or it is discounted...but I am a huge Remedy fan and loved both Alan Wake & Quantum Break.

From the reviews and some video's I have seen this game seems to had a 1/2 cup of Alan Wake, 3/4 cup of Quantum Break and a few teaspoons of other Remedy goodness and blended well, baked slowly and out came Control. I could not wait and wanted to support Remedy so when I got home from work I immediately went upstairs to my Game Room did the digital pre-load and looking forward to tonight. My one BIG issue is the fucking stupid ass Digital Deluxe shit on PS4. I know this shit happens all the time, but I really dislike this practice and hope that it goes away. I would gladly have given you more MONEY Remedy if you gave this option to other platforms. I have a Pro, but based on video's the "X" version seemed a bit cleaner and I usually buy my multiplatform games for the "X".

Last edited:

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Games looks great, but oof on EGS' price control (No pun intended), it's $86 AUD which is hard to swallow for a digital title and game that runs on the shorter side, considering Astral Chain is $69 AUD retail.

Lots of Nvidia promo codes being sold both here and Reddit.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up with the thread except to hear that console performance is horrible. Any definitive word on PC performance? I have a 1070ti and would pick it up if I could get 60fps+ at 1440p without it looking like garbage. Is this a dream?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, so there's performance issues on the X as well? How bad are we talking?

There has been one video showing framerates and the "X" and PRO show some dips to 29fps but most of the time it stays at 30. Base consoles however can dip to the 20fps or slightly below. In the video to me and my eyes the "X" version looked a little cleaner than the Pro version...but it looked pretty close. Performance issues seem to really hit the base consoles hard.

DF is in the process of their video as we speak....I just wish John (from DF) would just post a quick..."on console "this" version is the best" as I know there are people that have both a Pro and "X". On a technical level the "X" should perform better as it has a much beefier GPU and bandwidth and Remedy up until Control has been working on "Xbox One" hardware for several years.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Why? For the most part - atleast in my case - their fps are accurate to what I have in those games they tested

In the past i remember somebody calculated theyd have to run like 10000 benchmarks for the number of cpu and gpu combos they tested on a particular review. That despite afaik the game they tested having strict hardware change limits to boot.

Before then i had noticed certain amd gpus i looked at were always exact multiples of each others fps. Eg, gpu a was always exactly 1.5x gpu b fps etc. Clearly too consistent to be real.

At best id guess they test a few gpus and extrapolate the rest without telling you.

Wccftech has presumably real benchmarks up now anyway

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many reviews are based on the console versions? It's silky smooth on PC.

No only that, but on PC we have non RTX and RTX versions base on your hardware. From watching videos with a beefy RTX system the game looks incredible but so few have such a set up. Reviewers are in tough positions these days with PC RTX Off, PC RTX On, Base consoles and Enhanced Consoles.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Really liked Easy allies review! I'm trying the best not to buy the game at launch since my backlog is huge but it's somewhat difficult at this point lol

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Damn these reviews are tempting me towards a purchase...was hoping this would be a Redbox release but no dice :/

Any reviews comment on game length? Don't really want to pay full price unless its a 10+ hour experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn these reviews are tempting me towards a purchase...was hoping this would be a Redbox release but no dice :/

Any reviews comment on game length? Don't really want to pay full price unless its a 10+ hour experience.
Depends on how much side content you're interested in doing. Numbers we have are 8~10 hours doing exclusively main quest, and around 20 to Platinum.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
RTX ON Baby! I've been checking out some streams and this looks really good.

I've never quite clicked with Remedy's writing, but from what I've seen, Control is pushing the right buttons for me.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The regional pricing on this game is bizarre. Despite the weak £ here, it is the first game I can remember buying at launch, less than £40 for some time. (physical)

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I'd much prefer to play this on PC but 60 euros is very steep. To put it in perspective, the console versions is around 45 euros in the stores here. I mean... games generally tend to be cheaper on PC so that an oof

Even key sites seemed to have run out of keys or straight up just offer the same price you get on EGS lol

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
So for those waiting for the EGS release, are you going to play this with a mkb or a controller?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
What I don t really understand is that remedy said they focused on gameplay, that s the reason why story, character modeling and animation are the way they are, result of priorities... but the few reviews I consulted suggest story telling is well above par but gameplay is average.
I love crazy stories and the fact it seems to take place in a prey-style environment attracts me. I might give it a go.

jamtop

Jun 18, 2018
im guessing you havent played Quantum Break? A lot of the criticism on QB were that there were too many story sections and not enough gameplay. So, if you were to score QB gameplay - story it would be like 1:3 whereas Control is the opposite

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
In consoles the game is a "wait", they need to patch asap to solve the framerate drops. Of course the pc version have the highest score

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Will i still like this game if i dont plan on using RT? Seems this is a really big part of the game...thus influencing the score.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will i still like this game if i dont plan on using RT? Seems this is a really big part of the game...thus influencing the score.

Outside of PC focused sites, chances are the majority of the reviews are of the PS4 version, so this seems like an unfounded concern.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Man i love this game, Remedy did a great job. Got the game last thursday and i should be getting the platinum trophy today or tomorrow. Figure i put in about 5 hours a day since i picked it up, not counting today i am already 25 hours in. Another 5-10 to plat.
A 30-35 hour game.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like low 80s is where it will remain. I fucking win again. Undefeated, bitch. Where is my new pair of shoes.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Games getting a pass for terrible performance has been a thing forever now. At least it's a little more understandable given how ancient the base consoles are. It's just obvious we need to move on to next gen.
Same with tiny text. After watching some gameplay it's ridiculous how small certain texts appear and how much screen space is wasted, when reading files for example.

This alone makes it a Wait for 20€ sale to me (for a potential PS5 remaster).

Seriously wondering if this practice will ever stop again.