• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Performance seems... Not great on consoles.

And I've just now realized there's no physical on PC... So the only way is on EGS?.. *sigh*.

I don't really care about EGS exclusivity but... That means there'll be no way to get the game on PC for less than its original asking price for a year, since they don't do sales, and I have yet to see any game break this trend (For instance, Metro exodus still costs 59.99€, even though you can find it easily for 30€ or even less on consoles)

This sucks :(.

EGS did do a $15 off any game $20 or more (or maybe it was 10/20, dont remember) so they do run sales across the store randomly, plus games go individually on discount on the store. You can also buy keys for certain games from other stores, like humble has Control for $50 if you are a humble monthly sub.

I bought borderlands 3 at gamestop for PC, or I should say I pre ordered it, put down $20 and when it releases I will apparently be able to go pick up a EGS key after I pay it off. I have tons of GS credit from trading in console games so it made a lot of sense to me. Sadly EGS doesn't sell wallet cards like steam/psn/xbox/nintendo/etc yet, that would be pretty spiffy.

its not ideal by far and this game doesn't really feel like i'd wanna pay MSRP. I'll just wait till its either on game pass or is $25 or less on EGS or releases on steam, no real rush to play for me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care about EGS exclusivity but... That means there'll be no way to get the game on PC for less than its original asking price for a year, since they don't do sales, and I have yet to see any game break this trend

Control itself has literally been in a site wide sale since it was on EGS. They've got games on sale right now. They totally do sales.

At the moment Anno 1800 is reduced, Observation is 40% off, Far Cry Primal is like £4, Hades is 15% off and Transistor is 85% off for Supergiants 10th anniversary.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I love the idea of a Remedy shared universe. There's so much back story/side content made to go with each game.

Oct 26, 2017
I am definitely getting this game, but are there any comparisons between platforms? I don't have a working PC right now, so should am I right to assume Xbone is the next stop for performance/graphics? Sometimes there are weird hitches that make me prefer PS4 Pro.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice, glad to read such positive reviews. Think it looks great and I like the exploration aspect. Yeah, the facial animations, lip syncing are lacklustre but the game play sounds ace, single player ,excellent.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised by the reception. Congratulations, Remedy! I hope the sales match the reviews.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I am definitely getting this game, but are there any comparisons between platforms? I don't have a working PC right now, so should am I right to assume Xbone is the next stop for performance/graphics? Sometimes there are weird hitches that make me prefer PS4 Pro.

Sounds like Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are very stable but both base consoles have performance issues.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
That isn't fair at all. They are the console the majority of people are using, and game should be made with them in mind.

Then the game should say in the cover that is for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro only.

Regardless of it being fair, I think it's just being realistic that the base consoles are old at this point, and are going to have trouble running current games that push the hardware.

Conscience

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This game is pretty much made for Alan Wake fans. While a slightly different tone, it inherits a lot of that game's weirdness and quirks. There's also a few surprises there for you.

Alan Wake is my favourite game and was formative for me in a number of ways so this is music to my ears.

I've already had it pre-ordered since they put it up on the Xbox store but damn.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Epic regional pricing is a godsend. The game is only 28$ in my epic store . I am just waiting for more PC performance reviews before dipping in.
My setup is modest with an i5 8300h + 1050ti and 8 gig of rams .

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Fuuuuck, I completely forgot this is EGS exclusive. I really wanted it. Welp.

See you guys in August 2020!

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scores are going as expected in the mid 80s. Hopefully this is a success for Remedy. Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow.

Last edited:

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any consensus on the best performing console version? PS4 Pro didn't look great in the Easy Allies review.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty awesome given alan wake has an MC of 83. Definitely picking this up, love this studio.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My review at Ars Technica:

Does a creepy guy whistling while mopping and talking in circles around the broken logic of a mysterious federal agency, all while your main character remarks openly about how weird she is before continuing on her journey to find her lost, troubled brother draw your interest? If so, then you shouldn't waste a second diving into the truly possessed weirdness that is Control. The plot payoff goes as far as you want it to, whether you fast-forward through the campaign to chase down the mystery of your sibling or because you dig deeply into side missions and optional flavor text. And every time the plot becomes obnoxious or confusing, you can liven things up with a frenetic, tactically rich opportunity to kick butt via telekinesis. Only in video games.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of it being fair, I think it's just being realistic that the base consoles are old at this point, and are going to have trouble running current games that push the hardware.
They should be the consoles that are targeted.

It being realistic that they're left behind is indicative that this issue is very real.

Oct 25, 2017
They should be the consoles that are targeted.

It being realistic that they're left behind is indicative that this issue is very real.
I see where you're coming from, but there was no PS3 Pro and we still had plenty of games that ran poorly on the PS3.

And I'm not talking about shitty licensed titles, I'm talking about generation defining games like The Last of Us and Dark Souls.

Games sacrificing performance to achieve their vision isn't new to this generation. If anything, the news here is that you can have a better running version of the game before the next gen remaster.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I see where you're coming from, but there was no PS3 Pro and we still had plenty of games that ran poorly on the PS3.

And I'm not talking about shitty licensed titles, I'm talking about generation defining games like The Last of Us and Dark Souls.

Games sacrificing performance to achieve their vision isn't new to this generation. If anything, the news here is that you can have a better running version of the game before the next gen remaster.
And that just proves what a rampant issue it is, no one is saying this is new... but that this kind of thing should be included in scores.

This is another game in a long list of titles where this is true.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Computerbase.de looked at the game and has some raytracing and DLSS comparison pics up. Those finally give a good look at the diffuse lighting which adds a ton to the image. I think it's fair to say this game has the best implementation of RT so far and I assume it's gonna hold that spot for a good while.

I also think they did a great job with performance compared to other games. Here you have a little less than half the performance with RT set to high, which is in the ballpark of other raytraced games, except those almost in all cases only use RT for a single effect. Here you get a ton of enhancements.

Just unlock the game for me already.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony really need another studio that makes low's 80s "I guess it's okay" third person shooters? Hope they pass and try to fill some genre gaps in their studios.

symphonask

Oct 28, 2017

Computerbase.de looked at the game and has some raytracing and DLSS comparison pics up. Those finally give a good look at the diffuse lighting which adds a ton to the image. I think it's fair to say this game has the best implementation of RT so far and I assume it's gonna hold that spot for a good while.

I also think they did a great job with performance compared to other games. Here you have a little less than half the performance with RT set to high, which is in the ballpark of other raytraced games, except those almost in all cases only use RT for a single effect. Here you get a ton of enhancements.

Just unlock the game for me already.

RTX on high definitely seems to be the way to go -- huge difference on the contact shadows compared to medium preset.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Does Sony really need another studio that makes low's 80s "I guess it's okay" third person shooters? Hope they pass and try to fill some genre gaps in their studios.

I think if you give Remedy SIE's typical budget, a ~5 year dev cycle and Sony's marketing - that could be more impactful than Insomniac, truth be told. That said, the likelihood of acquiring Insomniac AND Remedy seems unrealistic.

jrizzle

Jan 24, 2018
Did you actually read the 8+ reviews? None of them read like "I guess it's ok". Third person action game is a fair point though.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For those wondering about Base PS4 . This game has:

Texture load in issues (particularly on environmental stuff, like signs/paper)
Chunky hiccups while in combat against multiple enemies. The bigger fights in particular (10+ enemies)
Sometimes even a little pause when toggling map

It is not broken, but it is far from ideal if you are looking to play the game that way