• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Performance seems... Not great on consoles.

And I've just now realized there's no physical on PC... So the only way is on EGS?.. *sigh*.

I don't really care about EGS exclusivity but... That means there'll be no way to get the game on PC for less than its original asking price for a year, since they don't do sales, and I have yet to see any game break this trend (For instance, Metro exodus still costs 59.99€, even though you can find it easily for 30€ or even less on consoles)

This sucks :(.
As I keep saying, our very own Buy/Sell/trade thread has the game going for around $15-$20, or you could go to r/steamgameswap and get it there for $15, there's a lot of nvidia codes out there, you just have to look for them.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I also have our review here as well. No spoilers and I'm speaking from the perspective of somebody who is familiar with their entire history.
Gave it a 9/10.

Also in the comments I pinned another video of no commentary 4K, Ray Tracing gameplay for those who want to see that.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The same happened with Days Gone. I had major issues playing it with the game freezing for 10-15 seconds multiple times. I am not buying another game in this state again.

I played days gone just fine on my base ps4. There were some fps dips in very populated areas but it was perfectly playable

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just gotta finish Telling Lies so I can start this tomorrow. My 2080ti is ready to take me to raytracing Valhalla

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Good game but all the charm of the game is based on its RT effects. I don't have a PC with RTX GPU so I can't play it that way. I hope the game will get next-gen update and add those RT effects.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
I hope the game is at least playable on base PS4 because from everything else I've been reading this is right up my alley!

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, I'm torn on whether I should go PS4Pro or XB1X - PS4 exclusive content worth it? XB1X have meaningful performance advantage over the Pro?

The PS4 exclusive content is really weird to me - 1 side mission for instance, but its exclusive to the digital deluxe version so not all PS4 players get it?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Remedy always bite off a bit more than they can chew, might be better off waiting to play this on the next generation of consoles.
I was thinking this but after playing RPG's, I'm so burned out of big open world games. A good story and good gameplay I can get through in a week is all I want out of gaming right now.

Next gen probably starts end of next year also, that's so far away to wait ;-(

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Once again, I'm torn on whether I should go PS4Pro or XB1X - PS4 exclusive content worth it? XB1X have meaningful performance advantage over the Pro?

The PS4 exclusive content is really weird to me - 1 side mission for instance, but its exclusive to the digital deluxe version so not all PS4 players get it?

Jesus christ, so wait, the exclusive stuff for PS4 actually IS full exclusive and not timed? I could swear Remedy said it would be timed. This shit needs to fuck right off asap.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Doesn't look like your average third-preson shooter. Combat seems to resemble Infamous Second Son's, slightly, in that hipfire/run and gun is actually viable.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Remedy always has me interested but seriously the name sucks. Went to Amazon and searched Control and can't find anything except controllers and some weird movie.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Good enough for me. Are there any glaring issues with the PC version? Currently have xbox one X preordered, but considering switching to EGS as much as I preferrably want the game on steam.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Meta 82 is fantastic, I'm sure Remedy are ecstatic.

Let's hope that translates to fantastic sales and we see a slightly bigger budget sequel!!

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break ended up with 77 MC if I remember right and this doesn't look that different.

Looks like it's settled on 81 MC at the moment, so similar scores. 4% better than Quantum Break!

Yup, QB is sitting at 77, so 81/82 is fantastic!!

We shouldn't ignore that this is a medium budget title and it's Remedy finding their feet on their first independent project. It's a great place to start.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look like your average third-preson shooter. Combat seems to resemble Infamous Second Son's, slightly, in that hipfire/run and gun is actually viable.

Yeah this was the same in Quantum Break. People who shot from cover in that game were doing it wrong. You were supposed to use you powers in the combat arenas to control the flow of battle while running and shooting.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
I'm super hyped for this game! Picked up a Control and Wolfenstein Youngblood code off of eBay for $9.99 this morning. It required an RTX card but I'm good to go since I have a 2080ti. It's too bad this game doesn't have a preload. I hope it starts downloading on its own at midnight so the game is ready to launch when I wake up.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
A Digital Foundry video is incoming.

Not sure if it is a review or a tech/spec video.

there are 2 videos in the planning - one covering consoles perf/visuals + one on the PC version + ray tracing
For what it's worth, the PC benchmarks show really good CPU performance with some really old models. It definitely seems to be a GPU bound game.
yeah - crazy GPU bound game. It is doing all the modern stuff + well, a lot more!

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ, so wait, the exclusive stuff for PS4 actually IS full exclusive and not timed? I could swear Remedy said it would be timed. This shit needs to fuck right off asap.

It's one side mission for now and two expansions later, everything first on PS4.

They did say it was timed and it won't be for long. They probably can't advertise/sell the future content as part of a deluxe edition on other platforms until the exclusivity window ends.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Yup, QB is sitting at 77, so 81/82 is fantastic!!

We shouldn't ignore that this is a medium budget title and it's Remedy finding their feet on their first independent project. It's a great place to start.

I think the most significant thing about Control is the fact that it had a reasonable development schedule. Remedy's biggest problem to date is the fact that before Control, they had released two games and an expansion pack over a 13 year span - and the resulting projects didn't have the quality or scope to justify anything close to how long they took to develop. I know they were aware of that, so it's exciting to see that they developed and released a quality product in three years time.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me as a big Alan Wake fan the fact that Control game near it when it comes to interesting narrative is pretty impressive. That is legit the first time I wanted to just spill to other people I know but couldn't due to lore

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I honestly expected better scores .

What?... Your expectations were out of whack then. Its reviewing amazingly well

For me as a big Alan Wake fan the fact that Control game near it when it comes to interesting narrative is pretty impressive. That is legit the first time I wanted to just spill to other people I know but couldn't due to lore

and with that...I"m out see yah gents

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
There is a mix of timed (the expansion stuff is PS4 first) and exclusive (themes, avatar, costume dlc and a side mission which is so exclusive its not even on all PS4 copies, only digital deluxe).

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
there are 2 videos in the planning - one covering consoles perf/visuals + one on the PC version + ray tracing

yeah - crazy GPU bound game. It is doing all the modern stuff + well, a lot more!

Even on consoles? Really imagined that it was because of CPU stuff as the game as a lot of destruction and physics going on and consoles have those horrible CPUs.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What
The game is getting 9/10 left and right, what were you expecting?
Quantum Break ended up with 77 MC if I remember right and this doesn't look that different.

Looks like it's settled on 81 MC at the moment, so similar scores. 4% better than Quantum Break!
It's scoring better than Alan Wake and on par with Max Payne 2. I'm not sure what people were expecting if 85 isn't high enough.
What?... Your expectations were out of whack then. Its reviewing amazingly well

and with that...I"m out see yah gents
You guys might wanna relax ,lol. Just because i expected higher metascore does not mean 82 is bad. lmao. I was not following this games marketing cycle so I have no idea where it would fall in. And whats wrong hoping games would review better??

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Review scores have me very interested, and I thought I was going to pick this one up, but I just can't buy into anything with those kinds of framerate issues on the PS4.

When they patch those problems away, I'm in.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Karak are any of the power synergies as satisfying as Quatum Break's time slow/stop? I found it so satisfying using that to protect a flank or unleash an entire clip at once at enemies.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this was the same in Quantum Break. People who shot from cover in that game were doing it wrong. You were supposed to use you powers in the combat arenas to control the flow of battle while running and shooting.

To be fair it was Remedy's fault for putting a cover system in the game. I think they learned their lesson this time around.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Karak are any of the power synergies as satisfying as Quatum Break's time slow/stop? I found it so satisfying using that to protect a flank or unleash an entire clip at once at enemies.
Dash and the force punch thing ya. I would say though that its not by a large amount. Remembering I didn't love QB. The thing about Control was that you are really hammering power into these few skills and then ya like you said using them and such to sort of combine them and attack opponents.
However once you level up your energy all the way and then add energy mods you can do some crazy shit. I didn't go that way for long. I went with health mods, tons of throw points and tons of control points but didn't throw a ton into the energy itself. So I could hit very hard sometimes and survive a long time but wasnt using powers all the time

Also carrying a person with you like a rag doll is hilarious