• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
How's the current gen version on series x?
I have that version , and I might just start playing it now.
It's pretty mediocre, honestly looks like a early Xbox One game with just higher resolution (basically looks like Quantum Break). The framerate is solid, but stuck at 30. The loading times are bad on Series X and abysmal on One X. There's no HDR implementation; Auto HDR helps but doesn't save it. Dark scenes are too dark, bright scenes are too bright, with or without Auto HDR. Half the time the map textures don't load properly so I can't see where I'm going.

It's playable, and the game itself is great. But technically it's a mess and not at all what I've come to expect from games on Series X.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
It's pretty mediocre, honestly looks like a early Xbox One game with just higher resolution (basically looks like Quantum Break). The framerate is solid, but stuck at 30. The loading times are bad on Series X and abysmal on One X. There's no HDR implementation; Auto HDR helps but doesn't save it. Dark scenes are too dark, bright scenes are too bright, with or without Auto HDR. Half the time the map textures don't load properly so I can't see where I'm going.

It's playable, and the game itself is great. But technically it's a mess and not at all what I've come to expect from games on Series X.
Sounds like I should pay money later for either the steam version or xsx version

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Thats what toy get when you're trying to brute force from a base that was bad in the first place. Does the map at least not completely freeze for a second like it did at a launch every time you bring it up?

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like I should pay money later for either the steam version or xsx version
I actually did buy the Ultimate Edition on Black Friday. But then the base game got added to Game Pass and there was still no word on when the upgrade would come out. So I got a refund and powered through because I actually enjoy the game design and mechanics.

If it hadn't come out on Game Pass I would have waited. But honestly, giving them more money just seems to be rewarding an anti-consumer move.

In any case, it's on sale now for 20 bucks on Xbox if you want to go for it.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what toy get when you're trying to brute force from a base that was bad in the first place. Does the map at least not completely freeze for a second like it did at a launch every time you bring it up?
I played it on both One X and on Series X. Bringing up the map, the inventory or, god forbid, the pause screen always causes some frozen frames, but it seems a little bit better on the new console.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Bought the ultimate edition while it was on sale for 20, already looking forward to playing the game again. Shame, however, that it's only 30 FPS if you want raytracing :(

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I don't get why they can't have 60fps w/ RT on the PS5 when Insomniac is capable of doing it with Spider-Man/Miles Morales at probably higher resolutions and a way larger world!
Control uses full resolution high quality RT reflections, spider man is quarter res (720p in the 60 fps Mode) with simplifications in its RT reflections. Control's reflections use no SSR elements (so they are more accurate, consistent and not error-prone) - while spider man does use ssr with its RT. Not all RT effects are the same across game in terms of quality.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
THIS is the kind of game you sacrifice 60fps to play with raytracing on. It transforms the game environments. 30fps feels fine in this game.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They could just give a 1080pRtx60 mode. My laptop is running around 1440p rtx 60 (2060 mobile) without issue (with dlss but it's still not a Buffy computer )

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Control uses full resolution high quality RT reflections, spider man is quarter res (720p in the 60 fps Mode) with simplifications in its RT reflections. Control's reflections use no SSR elements (so they are more accurate, consistent and not error-prone) - while spider man does use ssr with its RT. Not all RT effects are the same across game in terms of quality.
Maybe they are doing something différent on console ? Like adding ssr and changing the résolution of Ray tracing ?
I Hope they add true HDR top...

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a scenario where DLSS would have been useful.

I used it to good effect when playing with my RTX 2080 - had all the RT goodness with 60FPS.

However, as pretty as the RT effects are, I think this game is far better with the smoother framerate.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'll play it with RT at 30fps, but when are we getting a DLSS type solution on consoles?

Also sucks to hear owners of the original game get screwed. That's some BS.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
They could just give a 1080pRtx60 mode. My laptop is running around 1440p rtx 60 (2060 mobile) without issue (with dlss but it's still not a Buffy computer )

Well the RT performance of the PS5 is right around that 2060 mobile, and by using DLSS (and judging by your performance) you were using an internal rendering resolution of just 720p and weren't getting a locked 60fps either.

Those calling for a 60fps RT mode really need to get their expectations in check here. We have one example of a 60fps RT game and it runs at 1080p in stressful scenes using quarter resolution RT reflections with significant performance saving techniques employed. Control's RT features on PC go far beyond that and if Remedy want to bring that vision over to consoles then 60fps is off the table unless you're happy with dynamic resolution dropping into 720p territory.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the RT performance of the PS5 is right around that 2060 mobile, and by using DLSS (and judging by your performance) you were using an internal rendering resolution of just 720p and weren't getting a locked 60fps either.

Those calling for a 60fps RT mode really need to get their expectations in check here. We have one example of a 60fps RT game and it runs at 1080p in stressful scenes using quarter resolution RT reflections with significant performance saving techniques employed. Control's RT features on PC go far beyond that and if Remedy want to bring that vision over to consoles then 60fps is off the table unless you're happy with dynamic resolution dropping into 720p territory.
Console optimisation is still a think. They could dial back rt resolution, among other things. Anyway. I love raytracing in still... but when I play it's not that important. I don't notice it much in Spider-Man even though with the new mode I use rt 60. 60fps all the way. I wanted to buy watch dog but for no I don't buy any 30fps next gen game

so control at higher resolution (it's a bit blurry even one X) and 60fps. I'll be glad

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It kinda sucks that consoles can't experience raytracing with 60FPS.

Raytracing is a fucking revelatory experience. Playing control last year was the first time I've been taken aback by a game's visuals since the 360 era.

But man I don't think I'd sacrifice 60FPS for it.

Is it ever gonna be possible on the current gen hardware to do both?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Raytracing is a fucking revelatory experience. Playing control last year was the first time I've been taken aback by a game's visuals since the 360 era.

When the big mid gen refresh comes out.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It'll just depend on the game and the developer.
Spider-Man's 60fps RT mode is shockingly good but I'd imagine as devs start pushing the consoles a little harder it will be almost impossible to achieve both.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure Spider-man Remastered, Miles Morales, Call of Duty, and Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition already do ray tracing at 60FPS. So, that's not 1, 2, but 4 games that already do.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
control is one of the games that really interested me at the time of the release since i loved Quantum Break. But after the frames inconsistency on base consoles, never buyed it. And now even with an upgrade announced, i will not do it just because the way they threat all of their costumers. Will do a chance on it when have my next gen console but with the base version.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm pretty sure Spider-man Remastered, Miles Morales, Call of Duty, and Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition already do ray tracing at 60FPS. So, that's not 1, 2, but 4 games that already do.

Ah I see they did patch a third mode for miles morales. That's good that it is possible then.

They had to make some caveats to attain 60 FPS on miles with RT. I wonder how noticeable they are compared to the 30FPS mode.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
lmao of course they'd have the base version of the game on sale but not the ultimate edition.

Fuck off 505. The least you could do is delist the standalone. This is so stupid.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

They're all just a single RT effect though. Either shadows or quarter resolution mirror reflections. That's not in anyway comparable to the RT support in Control on PC.

If Remedy want to drop the resolution to 1080p, remove all other RT effects and restrict RT reflections to quarter resolution mirror reflections then they probably can get it running at 60fps. At that point though, is the game still the RT showcase title that it is on PC? Do they want to remove all of the work they did to add such a comprehensive RT solution to their engine?

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
People are getting really greedy. Moaning because there's no 60 RT mode? It's a really demanding game and comparing it to Miles Morales is a bit unfair, we never expected that mode and is pure wizardry on Insomniac's part.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you guys stop with concern trolling and downplaying of incredibly impressive RT implementation in Spiderman?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
How naive (and ignorant to be honest) I was to believe that previous generation games would run with zero compromises on the new consoles. 4k, RT and 60fps definitely won't happen together; even getting both will probably be rare going forward.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
How naive (and ignorant to be honest) I was to believe that previous generation games would run with zero compromises on the new consoles. 4k, RT and 60fps definitely won't happen together; even getting both will probably be rare going forward.

To be fair. You need high end hardware to run 60FPS raytracing at 4K on pc

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The RT in Spiderman and Call of Duty is nowhere near as elaborate and complex as the techniques shown in stuff in Control, Cyberpunk and even Metro Exodus. Just having some reflections or only ray traced shadows isn't going to be "revelatory" as that poster put it.

For consoles to get that sort of experience at 60fps we probably need an older game which has a lot of performance headroom to spare in the first place. The best candidate I can think of would be something like Alien Isolation which has an incredible art direction and extensive use of lights/shadows to create its visuals. It doesn't take much for that game to run at 4K60 on PC either and it would benefit immensely from something like ray traced GI.

Oh yes of course; I'm not very savvy regarding tech, but I see that those games are just too demanding for the new console to run them with zero compromise.
It's just that diminishing returns I guess, at least visually. Let's see what the new CPUs will bring...

The problem for consoles is that they don't support DLSS and a huge portion of the player base is running 4K displays so they're also less keen to render at 1080p or lower. Trying to run RT in Cyberpunk at native resolution is a disaster on PC unless you have 3070 at minimum.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
The RT in Spiderman and Call of Duty is nowhere near as elaborate and complex as the techniques shown in stuff in Control, Cyberpunk and even Metro Exodus. Just having some reflections or only ray traced shadows isn't going to be "revelatory" as that poster put it.

For consoles to get that sort of experience at 60fps we probably need an older game which has a lot of performance headroom to spare in the first place. The best candidate I can think of would be something like Alien Isolation which has an incredible art direction and extensive use of lights/shadows to create its visuals. It doesn't take much for that game to run at 4K60 on PC either and it would benefit immensely from something like ray traced GI.

The problem for consoles is that they don't support DLSS and a huge portion of the player base is running 4K displays so they're also less keen to render at 1080p or lower. Trying to run RT in Cyberpunk at native resolution is a disaster on PC unless you have 3070 at minimum.

Isn't the lack of DLSS going to be a huge limitation going forward?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
lmao of course they'd have the base version of the game on sale but not the ultimate edition.

Fuck off 505. The least you could do is delist the standalone. This is so stupid.
The standalone edition is included in the ultimate edition - which is the only version that works on current gen.
As is the case with a bunch of other games, this is a product of one of the 3 major platforms having a different policy to the other 2.

However, $20 for the next gen version and all DLC is a good price that reflects the value of the content- even if you had bought the original game.
It's more of an annoyance if you bought all the DLC first

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually pondering turning off raytracing to get 144 FPS in Control as opposed to 70-90. I actually thought Control might be the showcase that finally made me understand the power of RT, but mostly I think it's just a "oh, neat" level upgrade to graphics. Should try minecraft or Quake 2 with it, those are said to be the best showcases.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

Incredibly naive to be quite honest. Anyone with a passing interest in GPU hardware over the past 2 years knew that was never going to happen. Neither Sony or Microsoft were promising it either, infact Cerny was quite clear on downplaying the RT capabilities of the PS5. Those initial promises have already been surpassed.

Native 4K/60 with RT isn't even really a common thing on the latest PC GPUs either, where DLSS is required to get acceptable performance from hardware with far more capable (as in 3-4x faster) RT hardware.

All three consoles are massively over achieving at their given price point (the digital PS5 and Series S in particular) but expectations of multiple complex RT effects at a native 4K/60 were completely unrealistic.

To put this into context at 4K with all RT effects enabled, a 6800XT which is a literal doubling of the PS5 GPU with twice as many RT cores, performs below a RTX 2060 due to DLSS and can't even average 30fps let alone lock to it.

Ray Tracing in Control is incredibly demanding, it can't be directly compared to other examples of RT on consoles if Remedy are looking to port over the PC's RT effects.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I don't even notice a difference when i turn ray tracing on. Using Miles as my example so I'll be fine with it off in 60 frame mode here.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 is closer to a 2070 than a 3070 and when we're talking about RT performance it's even further behind.

I doubt a 2060 can even do 60fps RT properly in Control, my 2070 Super only just does it at 1080p with DLSS on.

I literally just finished Control's main campaign with a 2060 in 1080p and all settings maxed out. Outside of combat I typically get around 60fps but can get higher depending on the area (the last area of the story got in the 90s which surprised me). From my occasional glances at the fps count during combat it seemed to usually be in the 50s and sometimes around 45.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Bit disappointing that they cannot reach a middle ground where 60 fps and ray tracing can be achieved. Don't want to do an apples to oranges comparison here but Miles Morales and others can do it.

My Series X has made me really appreciate higher frames more than anything now. I'm sure my PS5 dudes feel the same here. It's become so hard to go back now.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Ray tracing is great but it's not like you can't make gorgeous visuals without it.

Tlou2, got, horizon zero dawn, gow, rdr2, demon souls all can attest to that.

If we can get those types of visuals plus 60fps, I'll be more than satisfied with the ps5 era.

Of course I have a kick ass pc w a 3080 so any multi platform games I'll be playing on that.

Technically control looks awesome w all rt effects at 4k, but I find the art style and environments itself to be bland.

Compare that to say doom eternal which doesn't have ray tracing, but the art style is gorgeous and each level is awe inspiring.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the lack of DLSS going to be a huge limitation going forward?

For robust implementations of Ray Tracing, yes. The number of people in this thread who think an AMD console should have 60 fps ray tracing in Control because their Nvidia 20xx can do it really don't understand they are only getting 60 fps because of an excellent DLSS implementation.

Supposedly AMD has a DLSS competitor coming so maybe the situation will change down the road.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'll play it with RT at 30fps, but when are we getting a DLSS type solution on consoles?

Also sucks to hear owners of the original game get screwed. That's some BS.
MS is working on something, and there's special hardware in their consoles to support it. But who knows when we'll see it.

wccftech.com

Xbox Series DirectML-Powered DLSS-Like AI Upscaling An Area of 'Very Active Research' for Microsoft

Microsoft is still doing 'very active research' on DirectML-powered AI upscaling similar to NVIDIA's DLSS for its Xbox Series consoles.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac is kind of spoiling everyone by doing RT at 60fps. Even with cutbacks, it's still a massive leap over how the base game looks. Literally the best of both worlds. I hope this is something Remedy considers.