• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! I'm happy this is coming so soon in the new year; I will finally be playing this when the PS5 (physical) version is released.

The month-early digital release is a bit scummy IMO, but whatever.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Is this the version to buy if I never played Control and have a PS5? I've been kind of half reading about certain versions not getting this feature or that feature so I want to make sure I don't screw myself over.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be surprised if it's not, Gamepass would look stupid if I'm on a XSX but not playing the XSX version of a game as MS advertised

It absolutely won't be. I bought the ultimate edition. There are two separate game pages in my library, the XBO version that's on gamepass and another one with different art, with the X|S logo. A placeholder application ready to update when it releases. They advertised Control for XBO and that's playable regardless of system. The next gen version is its own SKU as the 505 PR nightmare from last August showed. I don't know why anyone would assume you would get access to it through gamepass

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Nice, will be waiting for this before I start my playthrough. Will probably go with quality if it's stable

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not surprising that RT will be 30 on the consoles. Even at native resolutions Control has a lot of image quality issues, playing at 1080p or lower with grainy RT effects would not look very good at all on a 4K display.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the version to buy if I never played Control and have a PS5? I've been kind of half reading about certain versions not getting this feature or that feature so I want to make sure I don't screw myself over.
As long as you purchase the Ultimate Edition, you'll get the full PS5 upgrade when it's available next year. You can do that now, wait until the update releases digitally in Feb, or wait until March for retail.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really don't understand this. The benchmark with rtx 2060 is 60fps with rtx on. Why can't ps5 do the same? I know there's dlss, but the os5 isn't supposed to be a rtx 3070?

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It was a great game I really enjoyed but I paid $95 cdn for the digital deluxe edition so hell nah to buying another sku.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
This is a real bummer. 60FPS at what will assuredly be either reconstructed 4k or 1440p after all this time with no additional RT effects (albeit im sure faster loads, much better looking textures and environmental interactions) and then 30FPS, which I am just straight up not interested in using anymore.

Glad I got the PC version on discount and a more powerful rig. Love my consoles, but this is not the experience I am looking for.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand this. The benchmark with rtx 2060 is 60fps with rtx on. Why can't ps5 do the same? I know there's dlss, but the os5 isn't supposed to be a rtx 3070?
NVidia has two big things up their sleeve compared to AMD at the moment: Ray Tracing Performance and DLSS. Control capitalizes on both. To play Control at a decent resolution at 60 fps and Ray Tracing then you need to have DLSS. Right now AMD has not revealed their DLSS competitor and their Ray Tracing performance lags behind nVidia.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

The PS5 is closer to a 2070 than a 3070 and when we're talking about RT performance it's even further behind.

I doubt a 2060 can even do 60fps RT properly in Control, my 2070 Super only just does it at 1080p with DLSS on.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This is a real bummer. 60FPS at what will assuredly be either reconstructed 4k or 1440p after all this time with no additional RT effects (albeit im sure faster loads, much better looking textures and environmental interactions) and then 30FPS, which I am just straight up not interested in using anymore.

Glad I got the PC version on discount and a more powerful rig. Love my consoles, but this is not the experience I am looking for.
It probably makes sense for you to prepare for this to be the norm because I don't see 60 with RT being the thing for most AAA games going forward.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

PC version still the obvious version to go if you've got the hardware, that goes for most games still and even more so if RT is involved.

You have to remember how dire the console versions of this game were. Even at 60 with a SSD and better IQ is an astronomically better experience than what it was on last gen.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
This does look really good, but I've already started to play the original on GamePass and I don't think I care to pay extra for this stuff

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why they can't have 60fps w/ RT on the PS5 when Insomniac is capable of doing it with Spider-Man/Miles Morales at probably higher resolutions and a way larger world!

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Even those wouldn't be able to do it. Even 30XX series cards struggle at 4K 60 FPS with RT without DLSS and these are easily 2X more powerful than the consoles.
Is it me or every gen starts with a goal for the next one? This reminds me of the disappointment when PS4 and One came out and didn't reach 1080p in many games.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get why they can't have 60fps w/ RT on the PS5 when Insomniac is capable of doing it with Spider-Man/Miles Morales at probably higher resolutions and a way larger world!

That's because the RT used in Control is far more complex and elaborate than it is in Spiderman. RT isn't just reflections.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Because in spiderman RT basically amounts to a few reflections with strict distance requirements and other sliders turned down to achieve both. World size has nothing to do with it.

Control uses it for almost every aspect of its presentation. Go look up videos of its implementation on PC

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I bought the Ultimate editions for both PS5 and Series X when they were on sale for $20. I really was hoping for a 60fps RT mode since it's not open world I feel like they would have figured that out. Either way excited to try the game because I love everything Remedy.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't no way this has Raytracing on the Series S does it?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
As someone who already owns the base game and season pass, I'll wait for this to hit €10 or lower before I commit to the ultimate edition. Looking forward to replaying it then.

Oct 29, 2017
This is way sooner than I expected. Playing through it right now on Series X and having a blast. Will finish over my break, and play it again when this comes out. Fascinating game.

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
I tried to do research and found nothing definitive. If I've played and beaten Control but not the DLCs on PS4, can I transfer my save to the PS4 version ultimate edition on PS5?

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I tried to do research and found nothing definitive. If I've played and beaten Control but not the DLCs on PS4, can I transfer my save to the PS4 version ultimate edition on PS5?
sirusgaming.com

Control PS4 Game Save Upgrading to Ultimate Edition on PS5 is a Big Hassle

Game publisher 505 Games recently shed light on how players could upgrade their Control PS4 game save to the Ultimate Edition on PS5, but it looks to be a big hassle on the players’ part. Say what?…

Relevant part from the article:
Unfortunately, save-data from the base PS4 game isn't compatible with the PS5 Ultimate Edition.

The PS4 base game saves are compatible with the PS4 Ultimate Edition, however. Additionally, the PS4 Ultimate Edition is eligible for the free PS5 upgrade, in which the save data will be compatible.

If you played the Control Ultimate Edition on your PS4 the saves will go to the PS5 version.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Is it me or every gen starts with a goal for the next one? This reminds me of the disappointment when PS4 and One came out and didn't reach 1080p in many games.
I think there was definitely an issue with expectation management as well as clarification of technology, and no one seems to be able to do it well. 4K as well as RT are extremely computationally intense so just outputting at 4K, with RT effects at 60 FPS is a very hard ask.

But at the same time there are tech options like DLSS or other upscaling methods, so you scale 1440 to 4K, which is less intense computationally, and not noticeable if you do it well. That's something that should have been clarified.

Secondly, RT has to be used sparingly to achieve an upscaled 4K at 60 FPS, so developers would have to plan for that performance. They shouldn't just add a lot of RT effects, rather use where it adds the most value and is immediately noticeable like reflections and shadows but then pick and choose which assets and also the quality of the reflections and shadows.

It's all a balancing act.

ajcacio

Mar 6, 2018
If you played the Control Ultimate Edition on your PS4 the saves will go to the PS5 version.

Thanks for replying, I did see that article. I haven't even purchased ultimate edition and no longer have a PS4. I do have the control base game and save sitting on my PS5. What I can't determine is if I buy/play the PS4 iso on PS5 if the save will transfer. Not exactly trying to do a $40 experiment for a game Ive already beaten.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Ain't no way this has Raytracing on the Series S does it?

I mean, at 1080/30 I can't see why not. Doesn't RT scale proportionally with resolution? At 1080 I imagine they can tone down alot of the effects to hit the right level of performance. You are less likely to notice reflections etc being lower rez at 1080

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Thanks for replying, I did see that article. I haven't even purchased ultimate edition and no longer have a PS4. I do have the control base game and save sitting on my PS5. What I can't determine is if I buy/play the PS4 iso on PS5 if the save will transfer. Not exactly trying to do a $40 experiment for a game Ive already beaten.
Oh I see.
Damn, I got no clue.

I have no idea how 505 made this so messy.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
See, now I think the whole Cyberpunk fiasco is a shame, but this is the real thing we should be screaming about. It's absolute extortion to lock a fucking upgrade to a more expensive version of the game.

I've got control in games pass and been wanting to play it since it came out. Knowing that I have to slog through it at base settings is really making me not want to play it.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I think there was definitely an issue with expectation management as well as clarification of technology, and no one seems to be able to do it well. 4K as well as RT are extremely computationally intense so just outputting at 4K, with RT effects at 60 FPS is a very hard ask.

But at the same time there are tech options like DLSS or other upscaling methods, so you scale 1440 to 4K, which is less intense computationally, and not noticeable if you do it well. That's something that should have been clarified.

Secondly, RT has to be used sparingly to achieve an upscaled 4K at 60 FPS, so developers would have to plan for that performance. They shouldn't just add a lot of RT effects, rather use where it adds the most value and is immediately noticeable like reflections and shadows but then pick and choose which assets and also the quality of the reflections and shadows.

It's all a balancing act.
That makes a lot of sense, I appreciate your explanation. However, I think there is also a marketing problem: we are disappointed that certain goals aren't achieved because someone set those goals, they haven't reached 4k 60 RT and are already talking about 8K. There is always a dragon to chase and mid gen consoles will be sold under the premise that they deliver what the initial ones tried but couldn't and I think that's problematic because it makes us focus on the wrong things.

For instance, if they weren't chasing that dragon, game development cost would not grow as fast, which would allow for shorter, cheaper games. That would address one of the main issues with many games: their awful pacing in order to last enough hours to "justify" their price.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nice. I liked the game enough to buy at launch on PS4 Pro, Platinumed it, and then got a new gaming laptop where I grabbed it again and tried it out with ray-tracing and 60fps and enjoyed it all over again.

That's enough purchases and playthroughs. I'd play again if this was a free update but I'm pretty sure I'm done paying for this game myself.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
That makes a lot of sense, I appreciate your explanation. However, I think there is also a marketing problem: we are disappointed that certain goals aren't achieved because someone set those goals, they haven't reached 4k 60 RT and are already talking about 8K. There is always a dragon to chase and mid gen consoles will be sold under the premise that they deliver what the initial ones tried but couldn't and I think that's problematic because it makes us focus on the wrong things.

For instance, if they weren't chasing that dragon, game development cost would not grow as fast, which would allow for shorter, cheaper games. That would address one of the main issues with many games: their awful pacing in order to last enough hours to "justify" their price.
100%

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully I bought a new PC when I couldn't get my hands on a Series X or PS5. I can run Control with raytracing at about 100 FPS in 1440p, and without raytracing I get the maximum 144 FPS my monitor can output. If I'd waited for this version (and paid more for it, got Control Ultimate from EGS for 14€) I would be bummed.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Control does a lot more with RT than just reflections, so Miles Morales isnt a really good comparison.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Really curious to see the resolution targets with RT enabled. I usually favor framerate but am fine with 30 for this style of game. Got ultimate edition for $20 and my Series X, all set for the patch!

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
This is so irritating. I'd love to play the enhanced version, since the XB1 version is quite messy, but I don't know if I'm willing to pay extra for it when the old one is already included in Game Pass. It looks quite bad at 30fps though, and it doesn't even have HDR so the brightness and contrast are all out of whack (even with Auto HDR).

Apparently I'm already 2/3 of the way through the game, so bunk it. I'd love to play at 60fps but definitely not worth 20 bucks for a game I won't replay.

They could just unlock the framerate of the original and I'd be happy.

And that they..ya know..change their minds on fucking owners of the base version..
Then that would piss off people who double dipped for the upgrade.

Last edited: