• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Cool !

Any game with an RT mode should also have an optional non RT (or Spider Man like lite-RT) performance mode. That should be the gold standard for console releases.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the game quite a bit; the RT and 60 fps modes sound great and I've yet to play the expansions. But, even though the game is on sale for $20 right now (Xbox) I just can't support them with how they've restricted next gen upgrades to this Ultimate Edition.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Considering consoles have no DLSS equivalent and with ray tracing enabled these console GPUs perform about as well as a 2060 super there is no way we are getting a ray tracing 60fps option. This game is heavy.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
This was on PS Now for a bit. Expect it isn't now though.

Have read some really positive views on Era so I might take the plunge.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool !

Any game with an RT mode should also have an optional non RT (or Spider Man like lite-RT) performance mode. That should be the gold standard for console releases.
Absolutely! I consider Spiderman's implementation to be gold standard and hope that moving forward all games offer at least 2 modes.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Are you for real? Bolded part is just completely unrealistic expectations on your part. RTX3090 can't run Control at native 4K at 60FPS locked with RTX disabled.

control-3840-2160.png

Performance mode looks fine to me all things considered and how heavy this game was on PC hardware. I was never expecting miracles form this next-gen port but if it remains mostly 60fps lock many people will have no problem with visuals.
Is this pic with RTX disabled? Cause we have a poster in here claiming 70fps with RTX on in 4k

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
How good is the dlc?

Really torn between playing game free on gamepass

Buying ultimate edition on Xbox for ($20) and dlc

Buying ps5 for adaptive triggers (no sale at the moment)

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Absolutely pointless comment

Nah, they are charging you for an upgrade that should be free and that esentially has been out there on PC since months now and can't even do 60fps + ray tracing. Not pointless at all, very informative for PC gamers that might be considering getting this anti consumer console version.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this pic with RTX disabled? Cause we have a poster in here claiming 70fps with RTX on
Yes this is RTX off. Full page here https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3090-suprim-x/10.html

Poster claiming that was probably using DLSS (game rendering at 1080p and then being upscaled to 4K using DLSS). I found that post funny because they came here to project PC elitism, but their graphics card actually isn't powerful enough to do full fat 4K with RT on.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yes this is RTX off. Full page here https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3090-suprim-x/10.html

Poster claiming that was probably using DLSS (game rendering at 1080p and then being upscaled to 4K using DLSS). I found that post funny because they came here to project PC elitism, but their graphics card actually isn't powerful enough to do full fat 4K with RT on.
Ah makes sense. Of course they neglected to say that in the original post lol

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How good is the dlc?

Really torn between playing game free on gamepass

Buying ultimate edition on Xbox for ($20) and dlc

Buying ps5 for adaptive triggers (no sale at the moment)

To be honest, I love the game but the DLCs are both underwhelming. Foundation is decent but AWE is super short and pretty disappointing. I'd say you could skip both and you wouldn't be missing out on much.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% in for that 30FPS RT mode.

60fps is great but I'd much prefer higher fidelity at 30fps for a single player story-driven game.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Considering consoles have no DLSS equivalent and with ray tracing enabled these console GPUs perform about as well as a 2060 super there is no way we are getting a ray tracing 60fps option. This game is heavy.

Isn't DirectML Microsoft's answer to DLSS? However, if it's as efficient or produces the same level of as DLSS in real world environments remains to be seen but it's there --what was shown previously was pretty impressive though.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Cool. I've been waiting for the upgrade to try out the DLCs, and I'm glad it won't be all that long of a wait.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Is that "60fps" like the original game ran at "30fps"?

Don't be the guinea pigs guys, devs and pubs are untrustworthy, let digital foundry and the other analysis people do their thing first.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
If they come to their senses and offer a free (or very cheap) upgrade to people who own the base game and season pass I'll buy, otherwise I'll get it secondhand when it's super cheap in a year or so.

No way I'm supporting their mess with this.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Are you for real? Bolded part is just completely unrealistic expectations on your part. RTX3090 can't run Control at native 4K at 60FPS locked with RTX disabled.

control-3840-2160.png

Performance mode looks fine to me all things considered and how heavy this game was on PC hardware. I was never expecting miracles form this next-gen port but if it remains mostly 60fps lock many people will have no problem with visuals.
Not sure why you're posting benchmarks when I literally said the high end GPUs struggled to hit 60fps native 4k in my post lol. So thanks for posting evidence to support my argument I guess?

As for "am I for real" - yes. Because Control isn't much of a looker without RTX and thus it's clear the engine isn't very efficient. And TBF I never said I was expecting ultra settings. But I was hoping they'd be optimising the hell out of the engine for next gen consoles to get a 4k/60 presentation or at least close via reconstruction. But that comparison image shows pretty poor IQ regardless which is disappointing.

But whilst personally disappointed on that front, it's not a complaint. Because I'm just glad we are continuing to see the option for 60fps continue to be a thing on the new consoles. And long may it continue.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
alright. i guess i could drop $20 for the upgrade if that means playing this game at 60fps. i was actually waiting for this. glad i did.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I should probably do a comp to PC version when this drops.

I would bet Quality mode is probably 1440p with RT - RT reflections. Maybe other RT effects as well: need the game in my hands.

I already spotted better shadows in the 4k teaser video so its probably more than just reflections

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is RT mindblowing enough to sacrifice framerate? I have never played a game with Ray Tracing

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought this game on sale recently and waiting for this patch to play it. I'll probably do the 60fps mode, framerate is everything. The rt looks great but it doesn't matter if everything moves slower and your controller response isn't as quick.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

Just found it interesting since its the first game with heavy rt and next gen patch so we can compare differences. Looking forward to that df video.

Obviously dlss goes without saying, no one in their right mind would play without it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the details on this. Resolution, which ray-tracing effects are being used besides reflections, if any, etc. Going to be a great DF video, that's for sure.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Im mad about the lack of upgrade path but I'm not buying this because I can't xfer my save over. Im not playing the game again, I only want to play the DLC.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
60fps al the way baybeee. I don't get the fuss over ray tracing from what I've seen in Miles Morales. No way I'd sacrifice half the framerate for it.