• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Really hope they put in a middle ground mode like Spider-Man.

And that they..ya know..change their minds on fucking owners of the base version..

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Did that ridiculous fiasco ever get resolved properly, surrounding owners of last gen versions of Control and their ability to upgrade to this? (for free or a minimal cost)

If not, fuck this pub.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Nice but I'm already playing it on game pass and I doubt that version will be upgraded

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they put in a middle ground mode like Spider-Man.

And that they..ya know..change their minds on fucking owners of the base version..
Performance RT for Control would run at like 720p. I just got a 3070 and I still struggle to hold 60 at the most performance-oriented DLSS settings in some of the bigger rooms. It would still look great, mind you, but Control is a very demanding game with one of the more elaborate ray tracing setups we've seen so far.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just beat nearly every possible part of this game the other day. I'll probably dip back in to see the performance boost.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
RT only being available for 30 fps is SUPER disappointing and kind of making me not want to go back.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Performance RT for Control would run at like 720p. I just got a 3070 and I still struggle to hold 60 at the most performance-oriented DLSS settings in some of the bigger rooms. It would still look great, mind you, but Control is a very demanding game with one of the more elaborate ray tracing setups we've seen so far.

There are levels of RT so it's possible they could do 1080p 60fps if they scale some stuff back.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

yeah at60fps it brings my 2070s to its knees, even with dlss on, dialed down rt.
im thinking these consoles are more or less at 2070s level, and they don't have dlss equivalent as well.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Dope, will play with Raytracing. This might just be the first 30 fps game I play in a while, wonder how that's gonna be.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Did that ridiculous fiasco ever get resolved properly, surrounding owners of last gen versions of Control and their ability to upgrade to this? (for free or a minimal cost)

If not, fuck this pub.

Are you asking if they made an upgrade path for owners of the vanilla game? Because no, they didn't. No cross-saves either as far as I'm aware

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Good to finally have a date. I waited and grabbed the $20 ultimate version on Black Friday.

Sucks for everyone that won't get the upgrades as they own the other version because reasons.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I've have platinum on control, i really like it, but how DMC 5 and Spiderman MM can do 60 fps with raytracing but not control ?

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the standard edition on PS4 in a sale a few months back. Downloaded it but never played it, and then saw the news about there being no upgrade.

Not sure whether to buy the PS5 version, play the PS4 version on PS5, or just give up on the whole thing.

Not ideal.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Interested in this but not sure if I should wait for this or just play it on Game Pass as is and revisit it later down the line with the upgrades/dlc.

Bravekunai

Oct 29, 2017
Trigger effect on PS5?

MGCYODm.png

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
...do you actually know that's possible in this case? Or are you just assuming it's possible
Control's RT implementation has a bunch of different options (reflections, indirect lighting, contact shadows, etc.) that can be toggled independently and have varying impacts on framerate. A performance RT mode would probably have to only use a few to have a shot at 60 FPS.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
How's the current gen version on series x?
I have that version , and I might just start playing it now.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Control's RT implementation has a bunch of different options (reflections, indirect lighting, contact shadows, etc.) that can be toggled independently and have varying impacts on framerate. A performance RT mode would probably have to only use a few to have a shot at 60 FPS.
But again, to be clear you don't actually know this to be true lol. You're just assuming a viable option isn't being presented

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
It's only $20 on Xbox right now, and it'll probably go on sale soon on the PS Store if you're interested
It was on sale on PSN a few weeks ago for 20 as well. I only played the game via PS Now earlier this year (trial period) so didn't feel too bad to spend 20 for the ultimate edition on PS4 (which can be upgraded to PS5 version). For those who already bought the original release the control upgrade debacle kinda sucks though.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
There are levels of RT so it's possible they could do 1080p 60fps if they scale some stuff back.

The problem is that Control really relies on DLSS to to provide a proper "high resolution" 60 fps and RT. But AMD doesn't really have a DLSS solution yet.

On PC 4K DLSS is commonly 1080p internal resolution to begin with and you probably need a 2080 TI to get steady 60 with that configuration. So with weaker RT capabilities and no DLSS you would probably need to drop down to 720p to get 60 fps Control with Ray Tracing on the next gen consoles. At least without a heavy engine rewrite which I doubt Remedy is going to do since they are alreaedy in production on two other games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you asking if they made an upgrade path for owners of the vanilla game? Because no, they didn't. No cross-saves either as far as I'm aware
What does cross-saves mean? Because as an owner of the vanilla game since launch that bought the ultimate edition, it's essentially the same sku just with all the DLC and an upgrade path to next gen version, so my save carried over to the last gen version. No idea if they will carry over to the next gen versions.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
if they ever release a upgrade path, I might consider picking this for an ok price (I still have some trophies left on the dlcs, so it's likely i will return to it someday)

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
But again, to be clear you don't actually know this to be true lol. You're just assuming a viable option isn't being presented
I think they probably evaluated it and decided that the RT wasn't impressive enough or the internal resolution was too low to prioritize a performance RT mode. Maybe they'll add one later like Spider-Man, I'm just speaking to the compromises it would involve.