• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I played it at PAX East. One big thing I dont see mentioned is the environmental destruction. It was about as literal of "Matrix hallway scene" as Ive ever played in a game.
EDIT: Also the "only one gun thing" isnt really true. Its gameplay functions as multiple guns exactly how you would see in any other game (pistol, magnum, shot gun, assault rifle), its just that visually its a "single" gun

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Already bought this from Epic Mega Sales . Looking forward to it really , shaping well there

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see a new video of this it looks more and more like something I'll definitely get day 1. It being kind of a metroidvania and having super hidden sidequests with bosses sounds legit.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Everything looks so stale after that Death Stranding trailer.
I feel like they're both making me incredibly excited for each other. Control is Death Stranding's closest kin in the space of bizarre TPS worlds. It's is looking as experimental for Remedy as Death Stranding is for KojiPro, and plot wise, Remedy knows how to craft intriguing narrative in inventive ways.

KojiPro is certainly better at bombastic promotions, though. Control could use more splash in that department.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
I just looked up some previews for Quantum Break and they look very similar to the previews for Control so I am going to wait for impressions but I jump in.

Djihen

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
I feel like they're both making me incredibly excited for each other. Control is Death Stranding's closest kin in the space of bizarre TPS worlds. It's is looking as experimental for Remedy as Death Stranding is for KojiPro, and plot wise, Remedy knows how to craft intriguing narrative in inventive ways.

Not in my opinion and especially not when you compare their work to the height of Kojima's productions. I've yet to see something in remedy games that get close to Kojima foreshadowing of our current reality in MGS2 (context/social medias producing closed minded individual) and or about the political stuff of MGS2 and MGS1 (nuclear, false flag, genes, orwellian spying...).

MGS1 and MGS2 are revered for that reason, those games tackled important and meaningful subjects in a disturbing foreshadowing way. I've yet to see that in Remedy games. When it comes to narrative, Remedy games are as safe as you can be.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Not in my opinion and especially not when you compare their work to the height of Kojima's productions. I've yet to see something in remedy games that get close to Kojima foreshadowing of our current reality in MGS2 (context/social medias producing closed minded individual) and or about the political stuff of MGS2 and MGS1 (nuclear, false flag, genes, orwellian spying...).

MGS1 and MGS2 are revered for that reason, those games tackled important and meaningful subjects in a disturbing foreshadowing way. I've yet to see that in Remedy games. When it comes to narrative, Remedy games are as safe as you can be.
Remedy doesn't usually do real world commentary, that's true. Alan Wake in particular left me impressed with how it leaves clues and hints throughout, building to a conclusion that's foreshadowed convincingly through events and characters. In general, I think both Remedy and KojiPro bring an element of intrigue that's of high caliber than most.

But with how little we know of both game's plots, my excitement has more to do with how mysterious both games feel and their aesthetic oddities. I do think Remedy has more to prove on the gameplay end, though.

Djihen

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Remedy doesn't usually do real world commentary, that's true.

Kojima wasn't afraid to go all-in with MGS1 and MGS2. The rest of his work is tame, but his legacy was already built at this point and that's mainly those two games that made him who he is now. Strong plot and scenario are also what set dumb entertainment and smart work apart. It's still disturbing how MGS2, a mainstream game which was mainly a technological achievement was right on pretty much everything.

Remedy is far from that and they'll never touch MGS2 greatness when it comes to idea, plot, scenario or dialogues. They just make tame stuff for boring people, like many in this industry.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was kind of confused by the Easy Allies Preview. Brad said Control is now his favorite Remedy game, but then the game he described didn't sound the least bit interesting and he didn't sound very excited either.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
Whens Alan Wake jacket DLC?
omg..... you're RIGHT

Nice to hear about enemy variety. What about environment variety? We know that the whole game is set inside the building but, seeing as you have assured yourselves creative licence inside, did you use it to the furthest possible? Without spoiling obviously. Some people are turned out by thinking it's all offices and such.

Kiitos ja onnea with your new game!
it's not just offices for sure! the oldest house is a very weird place that exists in several different dimensions, so you won't just be going through offices.

for example:
MYySX1P.jpg

that's still inside the oldest house, but it sure doesn't look like it :D

I heard this game is influenced by the book House of Leaves.

Thoughts?
yeah! that's one of the influences. sam loves that book

Looks good. Hope there is some meat to it though. I'm kind of expecting a 5 hour game, but hope I'm wrong
you are wrong :D it's gonna be longer than that!

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Everything looks so stale after that Death Stranding trailer.

Yeah sure, creating shields out of anything in the environment, teleporting / levitating / hacking enemies and literally using everything around you as a weapon in a skyscraper thats basically its own world sure looks stale compared to grass - forests - cities in the open coupled to frankly horrible gunplay ... from what was shown in Death Stranding's trailer.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good and I loved Alan Wake but I have zero interest in buying the game from the Epic Game store. I may pick up a used copy on PS4 or wait for the eventual Steam release, hard to say at this point.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why has this turned into Remedy VS Kojima?

Game looks awesome, but I have to get it on PC. Hope i can get a steady 60FPS with RTX on.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
omg..... you're RIGHT

it's not just offices for sure! the oldest house is a very weird place that exists in several different dimensions, so you won't just be going through offices.

for example:
MYySX1P.jpg

yeah! that's one of the influences. sam loves that book

you are wrong :D it's gonna be longer than that!
Awesome! Glad to hear it. Game looks great!

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Previews sound extremely promising and it's slowly becoming my most wanted game for the second half of the year, at least on PS4. Really hope it delivers.

Oct 25, 2017
omg..... you're RIGHT

...is that actually a possibility? I'll buy it. Turn her gun into a flashlight too, and have the shotgun version be the lantern.

for example:
MYySX1P.jpg

This is the coolest shot I've seen from this game.

The sky and the cosmos are one.

lcap

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for Control. In fact, it's the first time I've double dipped a preorder (XBX and EGS).

Remedy's output has been consistently impressive ( I love QB, btw) and this one looks like they went full weird mode, which is awesome.

As a side note, vidaisonline and Thomas Puha, you've been doing an amazing job promoting the game.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
Why has this turned into Remedy VS Kojima?
yeah there's no need to do that tbh - both death stranding and control are gonna be very weird games, but the people from kojipro are friends of the studio and we're all hyping each other up and pumped for each other's games :D honestly every time kojima tweets something nice about control or wears the control shirt we gave him, we get excited like it's the first time

I personally think death stranding is going to be DOPE and I'm really excited to play it. it'll be interesting to compare its brand of weird to our own remedy brand of weird. but anyway let's get back on topic

Is there an Easy mode?
nah the game doesn't have different modes of difficulty to pick from. we're designing the game to be challenging, but obviously balancing is the trickiest thing to do right, so we're doing our absolute most to make it really really enjoyable and fun for people to play. all of us here play games, too, so!

...is that actually a possibility? I'll buy it. Turn her gun into a flashlight too, and have the shotgun version be the lantern.
definitely not for launch ahaha! but she does have different outfits in the game! there's such a thing as being TOO navel gazey and self-referential sometimes but I'm honestly in love with the idea... I wanna see jesse wear alan's hideously bad early 00s fashion. the hoodie AND the suit AND the jacket WITH the elbow patches. that'd be class

Can't wait for Control. In fact, it's the first time I've double dipped a preorder (XBX and EGS).

Remedy's output has been consistently impressive ( I love QB, btw) and this one looks like they went full weird mode, which is awesome.

As a side note, vidaisonline and Thomas Puha, you've been doing an amazing job promoting the game.
ahh that's really great to hear, thanks so much for the support and kind words!! this one's definitely, DEFINITELY weirder than quantum break was :D

Oct 27, 2017
yeah there's no need to do that tbh - both death stranding and control are gonna be very weird games, but the people from kojipro are friends of the studio and we're all hyping each other up and pumped for each other's games :D honestly every time kojima tweets something nice about control or wears the control shirt we gave him, we get excited like it's the first time

I personally think death stranding is going to be DOPE and I'm really excited to play it. it'll be interesting to compare its brand of weird to our own remedy brand of weird. but anyway let's get back on topic

nah the game doesn't have different modes of difficulty to pick from. we're designing the game to be challenging, but obviously balancing is the trickiest thing to do right, so we're doing our absolute most to make it really really enjoyable and fun for people to play. all of us here play games, too, so!

definitely not for launch ahaha! but she does have different outfits in the game! there's such a thing as being TOO navel gazey and self-referential sometimes but I'm honestly in love with the idea... I wanna see jesse wear alan's hideously bad early 00s fashion. the hoodie AND the suit AND the jacket WITH the elbow patches. that'd be class

ahh that's really great to hear, thanks so much for the support and kind words!! this one's definitely, DEFINITELY weirder than quantum break was :D
Thanks for the answer!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I agree, I love both companies and I will enjoy playing both games.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Futuristic/paranormal TPS releasing around the same period which are attempting at creating something quite similar.

It's quite normal to compare the offers, nothing to be overly defensive about.

I mean, ok. I think they look like completely different games. Sure ive seen some floating people in both games but whatever. I think they will both be great in their own ways and I can't wait for both.

Djihen

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
I mean, ok. I think they look like completely different games. Sure ive seen some floating people in both games but whatever. I think they will both be great in their own ways and I can't wait for both.

And I think one will completely overshadow the other. To each their own.

That's for the better in my opinion. Metal Gear Solid (PSX) pushes other studios to ramp-up their story-telling, cinematic efforts and overall plot. I think Death Stranding will do the same for the industry, it will push other studio to improve their overall package.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Kojima wasn't afraid to go all-in with MGS1 and MGS2. The rest of his work is tame, but his legacy was already built at this point and that's mainly those two games that made him who he is now. Strong plot and scenario are also what set dumb entertainment and smart work apart. It's still disturbing how MGS2, a mainstream game which was mainly a technological achievement was right on pretty much everything.

Remedy is far from that and they'll never touch MGS2 greatness when it comes to idea, plot, scenario or dialogues. They just make tame stuff for boring people, like many in this industry.

Good lord, what a crap post.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Any chance you two can take this to PMs?

Anyhow, vidaisonline's crazy screenshot - wow! Didn't know the game was that out there in terms of visuals - but that's enough to sell me. To pre-order I go!

Oct 25, 2017
I was very interested in this game when the first previews were released, but I am very disappointed in the exclusivity deals. We were finally about to get a Remedy game with no ties to platform holders, but then the deals were made.

PC gets double-screwed here with both Epic exclusivity AND PS4 timed exclusive DLC. Makes me wait for a GOTY/complete edition before jumping in.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I was rewatching the Visual FX stream and the destructibility of environments is staggering - the Remedy team really is a wonder. So many broken bits of concrete, little particles flying everywhere, feathers dusting off couches, videos from projectors still playing upside down - a complete marvel. Super impressed by everything this game is shaping up to be, so hype that it's coming so soon!

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yeah not necessary to keep comparing this to Death Stranding. Both look great but they're totally different games with different focuses.

That said, this is my most anticipated game this year. Love Remedy's shooting, and really excited to see them go all-out in lore and storytelling as well. Brad from EZA said what he played made it his favourite Remedy game already. Can't wait!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Probably gonna move my preorder over to the PSN version for the extra story content since I love that stuff, even though I usually buy physical.

I was kind of confused by the Easy Allies Preview. Brad said Control is now his favorite Remedy game, but then the game he described didn't sound the least bit interesting and he didn't sound very excited either.
He sounded pretty excited to me, particularly seemed like he loved how it played/how it felt to play.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really glad to see so many positive impressions. I was blown away by the reveal trailer and now I'm even more hyped.

Can't wait to buy it launch day!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hah that's cool, noticed in the preview videos they have Martti Suosalo playing the janitor Ahti. Really surprised to see him in a game, but hopefully it's a meaningful part!