• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, this is a metroidvania? that's amazing, don't know how I missed that, this just shot way up on my most anticipated list and is a day one purchase for sure.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Image00010.jpg

I couldn't find the Finnish version anywhere.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this is a metroidvania? that's amazing, don't know how I missed that, this just shot way up on my most anticipated list and is a day one purchase for sure.
Yeah, that's what made me purchase it as well.

This is also one of those times where pre ordering in advance may pay off, since it's 10$ off through Epic Store and they got a good refund policy.

You can cancel your preorder and get a refund at any time before release. After the game is released, you can request a refund within 14 days if you have not played the game for more than 2 hours. For purposes of this policy, "release" includes any playable version of the game, including beta versions.

EDIT: This is assuming you're a PC gamer of course.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Following the lukewarm reception to Quantum Break, Finnish developer Remedy would've been excused for playing things safe – making a sequel to Alan Wake or perhaps doing contract work for a big publisher – but instead they've created Control, and it may well be the best thing they've ever done.

All I needed to read. Still doubt it will be better than Alan Wake tho.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break apparently being disappointing bummed me out (though I never would've played it anyways, as it's an Xbox exclusive).

Hope this is a return to form.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Previews are encouraging. I didn't even like the combat in Quantum Break, so I really hope this is a return to form for Remedy. I'm definitely rooting for them.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Ars Technica's impressions as part of today's embargo lift:

Because this is an early mission, Jesse's supernatural powers are limited to telekinesis, instant dodge-warps, a temporary energy shield, and a transforming gun (pistol or shotgun) whose ammo slowly regenerates. Juggling these four powers was easy to do, as the game's special-ability meter didn't fully deplete during my playtime. A Remedy developer confirmed that later missions and higher difficulties will include more powerful energy-draining maneuvers, so careful use and smart juggling of the gun's slowly refilling ammo will come into play. (A screen in the below gallery hints to more morphing-gun attachments to come, as well.)

For now, that meant simply flexing the game's early superpower muscles, and gosh, did it feel good. Warp-dodging past enemies, aiming the morphing pistol, and using random physical objects as throwable weapons—I quickly hit a nice groove in zipping around like some X-Men character who'd been kicked out of Xavier's school for being too awesome. And Remedy's combat arenas are designed to emphasize Jesse's strengths by making sure attacks are always coming from above and below, thus forcing her to keep her wits and strategically consider which ability to bust out for each takedown.

The handsome lighting models and per-object motion blur from Quantum Break are back for this newer game, only with even more tantalizing distortion and color trickery. In particular, doing damage to the mutated humans who stagger-run in your direction will cut open some sort of dimensional hole, through which intense oil-slick rainbows flit to and fro until you kill a baddie in a technicolor explosion. The game's blur effects also figure in nicely with the levitation system: when you pick things up and violently fling them at foes, they move in a supernaturally ultra-fast way that looks like it somehow makes sense in a real-world physics system. Plus, like most everything in this game, those flung objects go "kaboom" in colorful fashion.

Click through for a screen gallery taken directly from the B-roll provided by Remedy.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Already pre-ordered a few weeks ago. It's been 16 years since I've been able to play a Remedy game on PC Day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, don't think I've read about multiple difficulty settings before.

Since this game actually has health bars and stuff for enemies, I'm really hoping there's a setting to turn off the objective indicator on screen without turning off the whole HUD. Playing Alan Wake hudless is even more intense, but that has the whole horror vibe going for it, I don't think Control would benefit as much.

My worries at the moment are all about enemy variety, which is Remedy's weakest point in all of their games, but seems like it would hurt this one the most.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Quantum Break apparently being disappointing bummed me out (though I never would've played it anyways, as it's an Xbox exclusive).

It's also on PC and its a great game. I don't know why people dislike it. Apart from that really bad boss fight it was great. Feels like Xbox's The Order 1886 that gets shit on because it was linear shooting game and everyone thought that this was "so last gen" at the beginning of this generation. I'd wish there were more of these kind of games.

Nov 18, 2018
I've been looking forward to this since it was announced so it's great to read the positive previews. Loving the atmosphere and the powers look really cool too, and I'm hyped that it's coming out the day after my birthday.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Oh, don't think I've read about multiple difficulty settings before.

Since this game actually has health bars and stuff for enemies, I'm really hoping there's a setting to turn off the objective indicator on screen without turning off the whole HUD. Playing Alan Wake hudless is even more intense, but that has the whole horror vibe going for it, I don't think Control would benefit as much.

My worries at the moment are all about enemy variety, which is Remedy's weakest point in all of their games, but seems like it would hurt this one the most.

There are no multiple/choosable difficulty levels in Control, that's a misunderstanding in the Ars Technica article. We do have some missions/content that's far more challenging than the story missions, but all the balancing is something we are working on right now.

We got a good enemy variety, I think you'll be positively surprised.

I'm just looking at the Interface options in our game right now and yeah, at least currently, you can turn on/off a bunch of things like mission overlay, health/energy bars etc. I hope we ship with that stuff!

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Definitely excited for this game. Hoping for some really weird shit. Hoping it does well, I think Remedy deserves a huge hit.

Oct 25, 2017
There are no multiple/choosable difficulty levels in Control, that's a misunderstanding in the Ars Technica article. We do have some missions/content that's far more challenging than the story missions, but all the balancing is something we are working on right now.

I'm just looking at the Interface options in our game right now and yeah, at least currently, you can turn on/off a bunch of things like mission overlay, health/energy bars etc. I hope we ship with that stuff!
Mate, you just made my day. Thank you so much!

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Sound awesome, would love to play this game. Too bad they decided to go for Epic "exclusivity" which I'll never support, so I'll have to miss this game (not going to buy it even after it releases on other stores, I just won't give any money to companies who participate in this anti-consumer BS).

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Those facial animations are very good.

I was on board day 1, glad to see positive previews.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I need it so badly - I love Remedy so much. Quantum Break is the one game I think that could've benefited from even more combat scenarios, which still blows my mind. Their combat mechanics are the absolute greatest! Can't wait to explore the Old House, it's going to be magical. Want to go PC, which means I'd have to install EGS :/

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

Thomas, were you the fellow I spoke with in Santa Monica the other week? Either way, I'm sorry to misinterpret our chat about how the game's challenge ramps up in the final version. I'll go in and correct that. Anyone at your team can hit me at my email address whenever needed, it's listed in my Ars author profile.

nobody else in the world is allowed to email me there.

kidding, hit me up whenever you'd like, ERA-heads.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Closest I'm going to get to a high budget SCP Foundation game. It being a metroidvania with powers and good gunplay will be something special.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Is there new gameplay or b-roll footage anywhere?

It's not, it's on pc too. That's where I'll play it eventually.

Also, did you not play Alan Wake either because of that?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

Nice to hear about enemy variety. What about environment variety? We know that the whole game is set inside the building but, seeing as you have assured yourselves creative licence inside, did you use it to the furthest possible? Without spoiling obviously. Some people are turned out by thinking it's all offices and such.

Kiitos ja onnea with your new game!

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not, it's on pc too. That's where I'll play it eventually.

Also, did you not play Alan Wake either because of that?

I haven't been inclined to own an Xbox ever, so I typically miss the few exclusives they put out that I'm interested in.

I don't PC game either, so that don't help much lol

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nice to hear about enemy variety. What about environment variety? We know that the whole game is set inside the building but, seeing as you have assured yourselves creative licence inside, did you use it to the furthest possible? Without spoiling obviously. Some people are turned out by thinking it's all offices and such.

Kiitos ja onnea with your new game!

some of the previews talk about the alternate-dimension world where Jesse goes through new-ability tutorials. we romped through a couple of those in this event's mission. so, there's that, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Done:

0r0iJ0r.png

First time buying something on EGS. Didn't even want this game anymore a couple of weeks ago after hating Quantum Break, lmao.

I guess I should bring out my trusty notepad to know how many hours my first playthrough took me, like I did with God of War. Let's see who will support "hours played" being displayed first, Epic or Sony.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Something I really hope Control improves on over Quantum Break is the main character. I liked the storyline in QB (well, not the TV show) but Jack Joyce is in the running for blandest video game character of all time.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I heard this game is influenced by the book House of Leaves.

Thoughts?

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
It's also on PC and its a great game. I don't know why people dislike it. Apart from that really bad boss fight it was great. Feels like Xbox's The Order 1886 that gets shit on because it was linear shooting game and everyone thought that this was "so last gen" at the beginning of this generation. I'd wish there were more of these kind of games.

Agreed. I loved QB, and I wish we had more linear, story driven 3rd person shooters in its vein.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks good. Hope there is some meat to it though. I'm kind of expecting a 5 hour game, but hope I'm wrong

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I only watched less than a minute of the first vid in the OP and I just really like the visual aesthetics of this game. It looks good but it also aligns with the mystery and strangeness of the situation.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Please consider a more difficult new game plus mode after we beat the game. Its always nice running through a game again with powers already unlocked.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
game is looking great,

the only remedy game i haven't played is Quantum Break

looking forward to playing this