• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Been playing on 2K with RTX on medium and it's been great so far but I'm sure my video settings aren't optimized.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing isn't worth the performance hit I'm sorry. The game looks better to me running at 144fps at 1080p than it does at fake 4k with ray tracing on. I feel like those people who claim they can't tell the difference between resolutions now lol

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while people might not think the performance hit is worth it now, I'm all for future-proofing games. people who'll buy cards in the next two years will have some nice shit waiting for them

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
This is the first time RTX has felt like it's made a difference to me. I'm playing with DLSS on my ultrawide with the first two RTX options selected at a 60+ framerate, but I'm preferring playing on 4k upscaled from 1080 with all of the settings aside form the global RTX lighting turned on to keep 60 FPS solid.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Ray tracing isn't worth the performance hit I'm sorry. The game looks better to me running at 144fps at 1080p than it does at fake 4k with ray tracing on. I feel like those people who claim they can't tell the difference between resolutions now lol

Yeah I mean if they have to continually show side by sides and point out the specifics then no it's not a huge improvement.

Oct 25, 2017
I love the RT in this game, downright stunning. Tied to all the physics and destruction, as well as strong art direction, it's very next-gen to me.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
its impressive when you point out the small details like that, but when you're actually playing, it's... not that dramatic of a difference. And the stuttering killed it for me, so I switched to dx11 despite using an RTX 2080 .

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean if they have to continually show side by sides and point out the specifics then no it's not a huge improvement.

Its...a technical video. What the hell are you expecting? He literally broke down the difference from older and current gen lighting, and then showed you ray tracing. That style was deliberate. It's usually how educating an audience works.

You can play the game normally and clearly see the difference the RT effects have in real time. It's a vast improvement.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Its...a technical video. What the hell are you expecting? He literally broke down the difference from older and current gen lighting, and then showed you ray tracing. That style was deliberate. It's usually how educating an audience works.

You can play the game normally and clearly see the difference the RT effects have in real time. It's a vast improvement.
Yeah? It feels more like he's trying to evangelize people about an Nvidia product.

edit: this was a shitty thing to say and I shouldn't have said it.

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017

It's that word "vast" that I disagree with.

It's an improvement but not in the realm of going from super Mario 3 to super Mario world or the difference of Virtua fighter 1 to vf5.

The game still has shadows and reflections without DXR. Dxr is just enhancing what's already there so no I would not throw out hyperbole like " vast " .

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
As much as raytracing might be the future of lighting in games, I'm good waiting a generation or two before trying to actually run games with it. 60 FPS not being a lock is a hard sell, let alone higher framerates.

I would say we'll see "some form" of ray tracing. I wouldn't assuming it's going to be the kind of full implementation you see here.

I imagine next gen consoles can do a lot of what we see here, just with a 30 FPS target instead. The current RTX cards seem fine if you lower your framerate expectations.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
this is a weird and frankly gross accusation. the RTX cards are the only ray-tracing GPU on the market, of course a site like DF is going to run features on them.
That's fine, it's the hyperbole that annoys me.

r0GInTe.png

8mMF5q6.png

This is a killer app? This is worth splurging $800~$1000 on a video card plus the performance reduction that comes with it? I understand being excited about new tech but man I just don't know about that statement.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a killer app? This is worth splurging $800~$1000 on a video card plus the performance reduction that comes with it? I understand being excited about new tech but man I just don't know about that statement.
other people value things differently from you, which is probably something you should have learned in kindergarten but it's never too late i guess

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's fine, it's the hyperbole that annoys me.

r0GInTe.png

8mMF5q6.png

this feels oddly cheery picked. From someone who is generally a good poster, I am a bit surprised at you.

I am like 10+ hours into the game.
That's fine. So was I. Keep playing.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
this feels oddly cheery picked. From someone who is generally a good poster, I am a bit surprised at you.

Not really. Jett is right. Ray Tracing right now is super expensive with potentially worse performance.

It's something we need but once it reaches mainstream level.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah? It feels more like he's trying to evangelize people about an Nvidia product.

Ray tracing is currently only available on nvidia cards. It's not his fault AMD is slow and terrible about doing anything high end, and besides that, it's a pretty insulting thing to say, but hey, its Friday.

Not really. Jett is right. Ray Tracing right now is super expensive with potentially worse performance.

It's something we need but once it reaches mainstream level.

So...we just don't cover tech now until its mainstream? We just ignore cutting edge, high end stuff now until one can afford it? How ridiculous does that sound.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
So we are expecting another mid gen refresh on consoles?
One where RT is actually useable Vs being theoretically possible.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

How is that cherry picked? Those are two of a handful of comparisons in the video done from an actual gameplay angle, after it's done massively zooming in on bottles, floors and table stands.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
How about you tell me which part I should be paying attention too instead just saying pretty much nothing...
It's not any special part. It just starts happening and can happen anywhere. Just keep on playing. I assure you you and your rig are not special. 9700Ks, 9900Ks, 3900X's + 2080Tis on SSDs and NVME's with full ray tracing enabled are experiencing the same random stutter problem. It's random and will happen sooner or later. Again, assuming you're running DX12 with ray tracing all enabled. People are trying lots of different things to try to resolve, from disabling over clocking to monitoring memory leakage.

Go visit the PC performance thread if you have further questions about it.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Ray tracing is also one of those things that look much better in movement, and specially where is put to work.

Some of the gifs in the OT are mindblowing stuff. It's one of those effects that are kind of subtle most of the time, and then they melt your face.

That said, I'm happy letting other people being early adopters.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
It's that word "vast" that I disagree with.

It's an improvement but not in the realm of going from super Mario 3 to super Mario world or the difference of Virtua fighter 1 to vf5.

The game still has shadows and reflections without DXR. Dxr is just enhancing what's already there so no I would not throw out hyperbole like " vast " .

Have you played it? You're stating your opinion and im free to state mine. I completed the game with it on and it makes a huge, visual difference. Now if you don't think that's important to your individual satisfaction, then sure. But on a technical level it is a vast improvement, sorry.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It's not any special part. It just starts happening and can happen anywhere. Just keep on playing. I assure you you and your rig are not special. 9700Ks, 9900Ks, 3900X's + 2080Tis on SSDs and NVME's with full ray tracing enabled are experiencing the same random stutter problem. It's random and will happen sooner or later. Again, assuming you're running DX12 with ray tracing all enabled. People are trying lots of different things to try to resolve, from disabling over clocking to monitoring memory leakage.

Dictator was getting them too without RT enabled, so maybe it's a DX12 thing. I haven't seen any stutters yet but I'm still really early into the game (just got to the dodge mechanic)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ray tracing is also one of those things that look much better in movement, and specially where is put to work.

Some of the gifs in the OT are mindblowing stuff. It's one of those effects that are kind of subtle most of the time, and then they melt your face.

That said, I'm happy letting other people being early adopters.
Yea it's definitely one of those things where you don't miss what you've never had.

That said, I must have said, "oh wow" at least 5 times per hour at different things. Those who come back and play it on 4080Tis at native resolution without DLSS and it's resolution quality issues will have something special to enjoy. But there are definitely no shortage of "wow" moments to be had thanks to ray tracing.

I just beat the game last night. I'll be running through post game stuff in DX11 without ray tracing to see how different that experience is. I'm sure I will appreciate being back at native resolution and 120+ fps but I wonder how much I will feel the loss of ray tracing. Particularly in the glass and ground reflections.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
How is that cherry picked? Those are two of a handful of comparisons in the video done from an actual gameplay angle, after it's done massively zooming in on bottles, floors and table stands.
Btw - when John makes a video praising a Sony exclusive for 30 mintues people do not, and should not, imply we are Sony's under the table advertising arm.

Imo, not a nice Thing to say.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
It's not any special part. It just starts happening and can happen anywhere. Just keep on playing. I assure you you and your rig are not special. 9700Ks, 9900Ks, 3900X's + 2080Tis with full ray tracing enabled are experiencing the same random stutter problem. It's random and will happen sooner or later. Again, assuming you're running DX12 with ray tracing all enabled. People are trying lots of different things to try to resolve, from disabling over clocking to monitoring memory leakage.

I have answered questions the performance thread. Yes, there are many people who experience stuttering and there are others, like me, whom don't. Seeing how I am more than 60% through the game, I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal, that even if it ever happens, when I "keep playing."

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Dictator was getting them too without RT enabled, so maybe it's a DX12 thing. I haven't seen any stutters yet but I'm still really early into the game (just got to the dodge mechanic)
On my rig (3900X, 2080ti, NVME, 32gb of 3800 ram) I didn't start seeing them until maybe the last 30% of the game. I was like, "what stutters are they talking about?" Then I started seeing them in and out of combat, anywhere seemingly at random. Split-second drops from 60-70fps to 20fps, just long enough to be annoying and noticeable. I would describe them as "hitches". Might get one hitch in 10 minutes, might happen 5 times in 30 seconds. Has been reported by our 9700K and 9900K players on down to Skylake users.

It continues to be a popular topic of conversation in the PC performance thread here and on Reddit. It's the only game in my collection that does this, and as mentioned it's not unusual for DX12 games to exhibit these issues. I personally have not spent much time fiddling with different effects to see if turning anything off solves the issue, but I would assume something as simple as that would have been revealed by now if that were the case. I have not played it in DX11 at all yet so I can't comment on that experience.

Hopefully their PC team is on the case.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing job.

Still in early of the game and twiddling settings.
Noticed that DSR is currently not supported, would have been fun to see what happens when combining DLSS and DSR.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Ray tracing is currently only available on nvidia cards. It's not his fault AMD is slow and terrible about doing anything high end, and besides that, it's a pretty insulting thing to say, but hey, its Friday.

So...we just don't cover tech now until its mainstream? We just ignore cutting edge, high end stuff now until one can afford it? How ridiculous does that sound.

You can cover it all you want bro. It's a nice tech and it's gonna be used as a bullet point in every next gen battle comparison.

All I was saying it's not worth it now. I will let you boys and girls guinea pig for us poor non ray tracing kids.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the first game where I've felt like not having ray tracing actually means kind of missing out on something. It's really well implemented and I'm personally waiting to get an RTX / AMD equivalent card before I play the game (I'm also busy as hell now so that helps with the wait)

Individually, only a few screenshots are really like "wow what a difference!" But the overall effect in motion is really quite a big jump in fidelity, since there are tons of reflective surfaces and light sources in every single scene. Even just seeing the ceiling light array reflected in a shiny red telephone looks phenomenal, and that's one tiny thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You can cover it all you want bro. It's a nice tech and it's gonna be used as a bullet point in every next gen battle comparison.

All I was saying it's not worth it now. I will let you boys and girls guinea pig for us poor non ray tracing kids.
Worth and value are subjective. Playing at 60fps with all these Ray retracing features on gave me dozens upon dozens of wow moments and I don't get too many wow moments in gaming thanks to just the visuals. I think SW Battlefront on Endor was the last time I stopped in a game and said "wow" repeatedly. And now Control. So to me anyway, it's definitely been worth it. But I'll need to play in DX11 to see how much of a difference it makes to me.