• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindtaker

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Nvidia introduced Freestyle Sharpening 3 weeks ago and the image is not a year old, in fact it's 10 days old and is from this very interesting article.

Hardware unboxed about Control DLSS (DF Video):
Very interesting analysis as always from you guys! It seems there has been a significant change in the way Nvidia has approached DLSS for Control. For older titles we said downscaling + sharpening was just as good, because DLSS was too expensive in its computation so when you matched downscaling to the performance of DLSS, it didn't hold up image quality wise. Now it looks like the quality vs performance battle has swung back in favor of DLSS over that method. Also very interesting that this might not require any RTX-specific hardware, hopefully this tech can become more widely available. We'll definitely look into this for yet another DLSS follow up

BTW HU is AMD-biased.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks really good on my 2080 Super, but there are a few nitpicks, not sure what it is.

I've noticed shadows on character models (like from their hair or something) will sometimes flicker and be noisy and textures in dark areas will look kinda weird at times. Like on walls or Jesse's starter jacket. They almost look "wet" in the dark. Really weird.

Edit: possibly a stupid question, but why are my only two render resolution options in DX 12 way below my monitor resolution (1440p)?
if you have dlss turned on this is what you see because that's how dlss works.

it is not possible to run the game at native resolution and get 60 FPS with raytracing on. Thus dlss makes it possible by reconstructing the image in real time from a lower internal rendering resolution. I play at 1440p dlss and with everything maxed minus volumetric lighting at medium I get 60 FPS solid except some fights dip to 55 but it isn't noticeable.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
if you have dlss turned on this is what you see because that's how dlss works.

it is not possible to run the game at native resolution and get 60 FPS with raytracing on. Thus dlss makes it possible by reconstructing the image in real time from a lower internal rendering resolution. I play at 1440p dlss and with everything maxed minus volumetric lighting at medium I get 60 FPS solid except some fights dip to 55 but it isn't noticeable.
Ah yes. I'm dumb. Unchecked DLSS and was able to render at 1440p.

Still not loving some of these textures though. Just so much noise. Certain walls literally look like their surfaces are moving.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Just part of the charm of the game, the building looks and feels like a living organism.
Lmao. Honestly, I've thought about a few times. When I couldn't quite tell if I was seeing a glitch or something that was part of the game.

Oh well, 90% of the time the game looks really good. All the effects when a firefight gets going are especially amazing.

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
Also posted this question in the OT

I played some more last night on PC and whenever a new quest or side quest pops up it says "hold G to track" but when I do nothing happens. There isn't a keybind for this action and nothing shows bound to G so I don't know what to do. I have to manually go into the menu to switch quests.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?

May 17, 2018
I updated to the newest nvidia driver and tried it again with rtx on medium using a 1080ti. Firstly - it didn't crash anymore which was the reason for using an older driver but also the performance seemed to Be much better. On 1080p I was getting 30+ even during battles. Has anyone else had similar results with the new driver ?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
For instance, has DF even mentioned severe ghosting and artifacting with Indirect Diffuse lighting turned on?
I mention it in the review for the game, in the OG video in a section after describing what they all do.

DLSS still looks like upscaled image, it's just not as bad as implementation we had in some previous games. And you shouldn't brush off other peoples recommendations with juvenile comments like "don't listen to person x", especially after they provided good recommendations and analysis with their own images.
DLSS here does not look like previous implementations and I think it is pretty obvious.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DLSS here does not look like previous implementations and I think it is pretty obvious.
It still looks like an upscaled vaseline-smeared image which will never be as good as native rendering. I just hope that DLSS is only a temporary band aid until hardware is good enough to do all this in native resolution. I really don't like how PC gamers are accepting subpar image quality all of the sudden, where as before we used to strive for clearest and most pristine IQ possible.

But with companies going heavy on streaming tech and people "not noticing any image difference", as well as DLSS and other upscaling techniques, some of us who like pristine image quality will have dark future indeed.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It still looks like an upscaled vaseline-smeared image which will never be as good as native rendering. I just hope that DLSS is only a temporary band aid until hardware is good enough to do all this in native resolution. I really don't like how PC gamers are accepting subpar image quality all of the sudden, where as before we used to strive for clearest and most pristine IQ possible.
It is an option - not a mandate or a virtue. It is merely a tool in the belt of tools to allow users to tailour a game experience to their liking. I do not think it represents a change in the strivings of pc players as a whole and I definitely not think it represents users accepting subpar image quality.
But with companies going heavy on streaming tech and people "not noticing any image difference", as well as DLSS and other upscaling techniques, some of us who like pristine image quality will have dark future indeed.
How is there a dark future there when you are on PC and have the choice to not use it?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be the first game I try when I finish my Ryzen 3950X / 2080 Ti build. Wonder if I'll be able to get constant 4K/60 with all the raytracing goodies with that setup.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is an option - not a mandate or a virtue. It is merely a tool in the belt of tools to allow users to tailour a game experience to their liking. I do not think it represents a change in the strivings of pc players as a whole and I definitely not think it represents users accepting subpar image quality.
DLSS (or other forms of upscaling) is pretty much mandatory to have any kind of decent performance if you want to use RTX features.
How is there a dark future there when you are on PC and have the choice to not use it?
We have choice NOW, we don't know how landscape will look like in 5 or 10 years. We once had choice between physical and digital copies of games, but now physical is dead on PC and consoles will soon follow.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
DLSS (or other forms of upscaling) is pretty much mandatory to have any kind of decent performance if you want to use RTX features.
How on earth is it mandatory? I am pretty sure any ray traced feature is the same as turning on any form of expensive effect in any game. Some effects are expensive and require resolution concessions for certain framerate targets. Those are all subjective and not objective mandatory things, and are all optional.

You are arguing in absolutes regarding options of choice, which does not align.
We have choice NOW, we don't know how landscape will look like in 5 or 10 years. We once had choice between physical and digital copies of games, but now physical is dead on PC and consoles will soon follow.
That reads like conspiracy theory or rampant speculation. In 5 to 10 years every game will use machine learned inferenced image reconstruciton and force it on the user no matter what?
Really? Read that aloud and tell me it is a reasonable stance.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How on earth is it mandatory? I am pretty sure any ray traced feature is the same as turning on any form of expensive effect in any game. Some effects are expensive and require resolution concessions for certain framerate targets. Those are all subjective and not objective mandatory things, and are all optional.

You are arguing in absolutes regarding options of choice, which does not align.
With current hardware the only real choice is either [DLSS + RTX on] or [native rendering + RTX off]. It's really obvious that RTX features are meant to be used with upscaling in mind and that's how games with RTX are being developed right now.

Claiming that enabling RTX has the same performance impact as enabling raster effects in games is a flat out lie. No raster effect in game cuts performance in half, usually you need to go from lowest possible settings (intended for potato PCs) to highest possible settings to see performance cut in half.
That reads like conspiracy theory or rampant speculation. In 5 to 10 years every game will use machine learned inferenced image reconstruciton and force it on the user no matter what?
Really? Read that aloud and tell me it is a reasonable stance.
Companies are banking big on streaming and similar techs for the future, not sure where you see conspiracy in this or what you were even trying to say? I'm glad you have no worries at all for the future of gaming, but others who are more traditionalist, do

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
With current hardware the only real choice is either [DLSS + RTX on] or [native rendering + RTX off]. It's really obvious that RTX features are meant to be used with upscaling in mind and that's how games with RTX are being developed right now.

Claiming that enabling RTX has the same performance impact as enabling raster effects in games is a flat out lie. No raster effect in game cuts performance in half, usually you need to go from lowest possible settings (intended for potato PCs) to highest possible settings to see performance cut in half.
You write in an incredibly toxic and self-assured manner which is not really fitting for civilised discussion by the way. How am I supposed to respond to something like that exactly with something other than outright hostility?

Please go look up the effect for turning on and off cloud rendering in assassins creed odyssey (Ultra to Off). Please do.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You write in an incredibly toxic and self-assured manner which is not really fitting for civilised discussion by the way. How am I supposed to respond to something like that exactly with something other than outright hostility?

Please go look up the effect for turning on and off cloud rendering in assassins creed odyssey (Ultra to Off). Please do.
This discussion can't possibly end in my favor, so to prevent any sort of dogpiling or other unpleasantness let's just end it right here.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Man... I feel like if I don't have a RTX card I won't be able to enjoy the game.

There's so many graphical options I don;t understand anymore too. all these rtx and dlss settings that I have no idea about...

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Claiming that enabling RTX has the same performance impact as enabling raster effects in games is a flat out lie.
No, it's not. There are more than a handful of games where enabling some raster effect will in fact result in a bigger performance hit than enabling some RT effects in "RTX" games. The baseline performance may be different which may mean that you'll be getting higher fps still but the percentages can be comparable. It can also be argued that you're getting less visual improvement from such raster options generally than you're getting from new RT options.

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
I played this game with my old gtx 970, it actually looked great, mid settings, no performance issues. To bad I didn't like the game though.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
It's almost like GPU's of the future will have enough power for you to run RTX features ON while maintaining Native Rendering. Just like Crysis, and other forward thinking games. You would prefer that game makers limit themselves to make their games only relevant to a specific slice of GPU history? Cmon, especially on the PC space, you should know better. OPTIONS DONT HURT ANYONE

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like GPU's of the future will have enough power for you to run RTX features ON while maintaining Native Rendering. Just like Crysis, and other forward thinking games. You would prefer that game makers limit themselves to make their games only relevant to a specific slice of GPU history? Cmon, especially on the PC space, you should know better. OPTIONS DONT HURT ANYONE
It's really depressing for how many people PC gaming can, and should be only about those specific things that they care about. If they only care about sharpness than any AA solutions that makes image less sharp are useless and shoudn't even be an option, aliasing and other image artifacts be dammed.
If they only care about native resolutions than any solutions that aim to make non-native resolutions look better are useless and shoudn't even be an option, people with lower end hardware, or targeting higher framerates be dammed.
And so on, and so forth...

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the game today. After all the talk about performance on RTX and having to use DLSS or other sub-native rendering and cutting back on settings, I was a bit worried about my old GTX-1080. So I did turn a few things down (Dictator's "optimized settings"; volumetrics and reflections to medium, MSAA off, everything else maxxed), but at full res 1440p, I'm still getting a little over 60fps, at least in the opening areas. I'm happy.

I did noticed that texture loading can be a slight issue, but coming off an SSD, I don't think I'm seeing it nearly as bad as some others (saw a couple videos that were pretty bad). Not really a big deal, only when I look at stuff like the paintings up close.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I cant seem to choose screen space reflections to high for whatever reason, i have 2080ti. Anyt ideas? Also i like diffuse lighting , but i hate how it adjusts every time with quick camera movement.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Now I'm pissed off. I just spent several hours taking down two optional bosses and a bunch of smaller enemies in between and what does the game do? Crashes and corrupts my save. With the Mission Select I am able to start over but it's going to be a pain to get all that back.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Played the first hour last night and I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I'm playing at 1080p with the DF settings and Nvidia Sharpen on a 1440p monitor and I'm seeing a stable 60fps on my GTX 1080, I was really expecting to have more trouble running it. I may end up getting dips later in the game when combat encounters start cranking up, but so far so good!

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first hour last night and I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I'm playing at 1080p with the DF settings and Nvidia Sharpen on a 1440p monitor and I'm seeing a stable 60fps on my GTX 1080, I was really expecting to have more trouble running it. I may end up getting dips later in the game when combat encounters start cranking up, but so far so good!
At 1080p, you can max out reflections and still hit 60fps on a GTX1080. I've got mine running that way (the only setting turned down is volumetrics, and only 2x MSAA), with output resolution at 1440, but rendering resolution at 1080, and I'm getting 70+. I was getting around 60fps running at full-res 1440p, but dropped it down to 1080p when I moved to the couch to play through Steam Link. Still plays fine.

Ramathevoice

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
At 1080p, you can max out reflections and still hit 60fps on a GTX1080. I've got mine running that way (the only setting turned down is volumetrics, and only 2x MSAA), with output resolution at 1440, but rendering resolution at 1080, and I'm getting 70+. I was getting around 60fps running at full-res 1440p, but dropped it down to 1080p when I moved to the couch to play through Steam Link. Still plays fine.
With Volumetrics, GI and Shadow res any higher than Medium and 2x MSAA I still get noticeable dips in certain combat encounters, so far I'm finding the DF settings to work best.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just started this game last night and I'm confused on a few things:

-I can't turn on DLSS, options screen is telling me "DLSS requires an NVIDIA RTX GPU" and I've got a 2080, GeForce Experience shows it as set to "Performance"
-I can't edit any of the ray tracing options, GeForce Experience shows all of the options are "On", but in-game the options screen tells me "Ray tracing requires DX12 and a graphics card with support for the DXR API" and there's a lock icon on the dropdown for the preset

I'd really like to turn off some (if not all) of the RT options because right now I'm not able to hit a consistent 60fps with a 2080 and a Ryzen 3800x and that seems...not great.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Just started this game last night and I'm confused on a few things:

-I can't turn on DLSS, options screen is telling me "DLSS requires an NVIDIA RTX GPU" and I've got a 2080, GeForce Experience shows it as set to "Performance"
-I can't edit any of the ray tracing options, GeForce Experience shows all of the options are "On", but in-game the options screen tells me "Ray tracing requires DX12 and a graphics card with support for the DXR API" and there's a lock icon on the dropdown for the preset

I'd really like to turn off some (if not all) of the RT options because right now I'm not able to hit a consistent 60fps with a 2080 and a Ryzen 3800x and that seems...not great.

Did you launch it in DirectX12? Is your windows OS up to date? Which driver version are you on and have you tried reinstalling it? Those are the only things that come to my mind that could cause those specific issues.

Great specs though, you should have a great time once you've ironed this out.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Did you launch it in DirectX12? Is your windows OS up to date? Which driver version are you on and have you tried reinstalling it? Those are the only things that come to my mind that could cause those specific issues.

Great specs though, you should have a great time once you've ironed this out.
Figured this out thanks to you, Windows hadn't installed a major update for some reason. Once I fixed that I got the option to launch in DX11/DX12 and was able to set specific RT settings and turn on DLSS. Thanks!

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
8700k & 1080ti here. Playing at 1440p with near max settings, looks amazing and runs great - generally.

BUT in menus, it started to lag. Not only a bit, but significantly. Like freeze for seconds. This is all kinds of weird.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
For those curious about how it runs on GTX 970. Also, a bit of workaround to get it running at locked 60fps. Basically using base PS4 resolution technique with graphics quality being equivalent or better than consoles for stable 60fps.

I know this is late but I just bought the game and tried using this method but I'm having a problem where after I edit the renderer file and launch the game it changes back to the default settings in the file.
I tried making the changes and making the file read-only but the game won't launch if I do that.

Anyone knows a solution?

Edit: Actually, I now see the game resets the display settings every time I launch it.. how do I fix this?

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
So i got my 2080 super coming from a 1060 and been looking forward to trying this out, and it looks good sure but i feel like its very foggy in well lit rooms. Its not my other settings im pretty sure... Maybe its by design?

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like i only get double buffering in dx12. When i tried turning off vsync and using borderless mode to enable triple buffering i get tearing. is there no good way to force triple buffering with the game?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like i only get double buffering in dx12. When i tried turning off vsync and using borderless mode to enable triple buffering i get tearing. is there no good way to force triple buffering with the game?
What is your goal when you say that you want to "enable triple buffering" ?
  • V-Sync that doesn't lock to divisors of the refresh rate?
  • Frame rates that go above the refresh rate without screen tearing?
Except for some rare circumstances, I don't think you can even get double-buffered v-sync on NVIDIA GPUs any more. I can't think of the last time a game dropped from 60 FPS directly to 30 FPS rather than an intermediate value.
If you want frame rates that go above the refresh rate without screen tearing, I don't think that's an option in DX12 unless the developer implements it themselves.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
This performs well for me generally, but am I the only one who's getting occasional freezing for like 10+ seconds while going through the menu at a Control Point?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Photo mode patch is out
controlscreenshot201982j52.png

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
After this update it seems you can no longer play it as a custom Steam game. Just tells me to use the EGS now.

Photo mode is hot, though.

screenshot-00004.png

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, what the fuck happened? Why can't I launch the game from a Steam custom shortcut? What did they do? I never had this problem and I was happily taking my own screenshots...

"Please launch the game using the Epic Games Launcher and a valid Epic Games User Account. Shutting down" after the intro scenes.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Yikes that's always been my main concern with the Epic store; I actually use big picture mode to play on my 4k TV in a separate room. I've got my computer rigged so when I connect my bluetooth controller and hit the home button it launches Big Picture and switches audio/video output to the TV, so there's no back and forth needed between rooms. Not impossible to do otherwise but Steam has features directly built to handle this scenario.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
yeah they added EGS DRM, really sucks as I just launched the DX12 executable directly and it worked fine before but now won't work unless I launch directly from EGS. blah

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
This sucks.
I launched it from Steam so it properly supports my DS4 because ds4windows something has issues where it doesn't recognize my controller and the trackpad acts as a mouse (although that can probably be fixed somehow, I need to look into that)

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Kinda trash considering I was running it through Steam for the fps counter and built-in screenshot feature. The latter isn't much of an issue anymore since we have photo mode, but with other software like RivaTuner the fps overlay appears on screenshots, so if I ever use it guess I have to remember to turn it off every time now. Might not even bother with it.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is really frustrating - this exactly is the type of scenario that makes you hate EGS. Why would they not allow us to continue launching it from anywhere?