• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I can't get over how good this game looks. The further I get into the game the more impressed I am. This game completely justifies my 2080 TI purchase 100%. RTX, if everyone else can use it this well and efficently, is the damn future. This game runs butter smooth with everything maxed out at 3440x1440p, using DLSS. I just can't believe the crazy bastards did it. Especially after the Quantum Break disaster, that game runs worse on my rig than Control by far.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
The diffuse lighting is definitely less grainy now but I think I'm seeing more reconstruction artifacts when moving the camera and stuff. I doubt I just missed them in the 10+ hours I played the game. I could see it really easily on the ground turning a corner now after the patch.

Last edited:

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
The diffuse lighting is definitely less grainy now but I think I'm seeing more reconstruction artifacts when moving the camera and stuff. I doubt I just missed them in the 10+ hours I played the game. I could see it really easily on the ground turning a corner now after the patch.
A worthy price to pay for double the frame rate and such butter smooth gameplay. Yes there is definitely some ghosting, but what can you do.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Alex I Just watched your DLSS video on Control, What a great video totally loved you digging into the meat of this implementation, having remedy who has always been really great with reconstruction stuff mixed with the new approach nvidia is using for dlss really shines in control it looks so damn good! The stuff you guys do at DF is the best out there, happy to be a patron!
THanks Dan - it was actually a fun investigation of sorts to see what the hellw as happening here and why it looked so different.

Now I am just REALLY curious how the ML inference model will look and run. It possibly even looking better than it does now would be quite the difference.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So for a 2080ti, i9 9900k, 32gb, ssd combo and a 4k tv should i do internal rendering 1080p + dlss or 1440p + dlss still gonna give me average 60 fps?

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
You don't think having an upgrade from 8 to 10 cores is significant? 25% more cores, much less any IPC gains between gens. Games are going to more and more take advantage of high core count, especially once ps5 and Xbox 4 game development is in full gear.
But why should devs use more than 8 cores/16 threads if PS5 and Xbox Scarlett only have a 8-Core-Ryzen-CPU?
I think the GPU will be far more important, so the money is better invested in a faster GPU.

lorsel

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So for a 2080ti, i9 9900k, 32gb, ssd combo and a 4k tv should i do internal rendering 1080p + dlss or 1440p + dlss still gonna give me average 60 fps?

1080p+dlss for 100% locked 60fps, when you set volumentric lighting to medium and raytraced diffuse lighting off.

When you want a smooth 1440p+dlss experience try to play at 50hz vsync (if your TV can deal with it without strange image distortion like on samsung tvs) + volumentric lighting to medium, raytraced diffuse lighting off and raytraced contact shadows off.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But why should devs use more than 8 cores/16 threads if PS5 and Xbox Scarlett only have a 8-Core-Ryzen-CPU?
I think the GPU will be far more important, so the money is better invested in a faster GPU.
Even more so, for the first couple of years after the launch of next gen consoles, most games will be cross platform so we're unlikely to start hitting the requirement of an 8C Ryzen CPU until well into 2022. At which point we'll probably start getting 8C CPUs in the ~$100 price range - and most games will still be GPU limited on PC.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I'm very confused as to what the ideal settings are on my 1070.

Currently using 1080p Medium.

Huh, turning on vsync makes for a big improvement with the inventory / menu in and out hitching.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm very confused as to what the ideal settings are on my 1070.

Currently using 1080p Medium.

Huh, turning on vsync makes for a big improvement with the inventory / menu in and out hitching.

GTX 1070 here all high cept for Volumetric and reflections on medium.
Locked 60 with Nvidia Vsync in game vysnc would give me random drops below 60.
Using Nvidia I get no drops whatsoever.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I've played a good chunk of the game in the last couple of days after the patch was released, and I'm really impressed how well the game runs compared to before the patch. I've had a couple minor dips but I cannot remember any freezes in any areas or battles. Game seems to even look better than before with RTX and is now a real treat to play and experience.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019

Definitely more ghosting when moving the camera at a fast pace. It's very noticeable on Jesse herself, as she leaves a "trail" of four or five other Jesses when panning the camera around her.

Ghosting is associated with TAA and can be mitigated, as these articles demonstrate. Not sure what changed between patches that caused that issue to appear in Control.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Definitely more ghosting when moving the camera at a fast pace. It's very noticeable on Jesse herself, as she leaves a "trail" of four or five other Jesses when panning the camera around her.

Ghosting is associated with TAA and can be mitigated, as these articles demonstrate. Not sure what changed between patches that caused that issue to appear in Control.
As I said, the ghosting came with the adjustment of the diffuse lighting in the newest patch. In order for the grain to be reduced I assume they accumulate samples longer now, resulting in additional ghosting.

I made a video showing it off:

Honestly the grain was not an issue for me, but this new implementation does make me want to turn the effect off. In bright rooms you just get a face full of mess shadowing upon entrance, especially on fast camera movements with KB/M.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said, the ghosting came with the adjustment of the diffuse lighting in the newest patch. In order for the grain to be reduced I assume they accumulate samples longer now, resulting in additional ghosting.

Honestly the grain was not an issue for me, but this new implementation does make me want to turn the effect off. In bright rooms you just get a face full of mess shadowing upon entrance, especially on fast camera movements with KB/M.

Looks like a more agressive denoiser using more frames, thus producing this ghosting effect.

Indeed the grainier look was not an issue for me, this one might be :/

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019

Forgot to mention that I'm playing the DX11 version of the game, so no RT. Still tons of ghosting. They messed up the implementation of TAA, somehow.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
To anyone experiencing the DX12 stutter I recommend you to try the following:

1.In Windows Settings search and open Exploit Protection
2.Click On the Program Settings Tab
3.Click On The + Add Programs To Customise
4.Click On Choose Exact File Path
5.Find Control_DX12.exe Click Open
6.Programs Settings For Game Opened ,Scroll Down To Control Flow Guard
7.Put Check Mark In Override System Settings And Turn From On To Off And Apply

After following those instructions my stutter is 100% gone and the game runs flawless, just thought I would share in case it helps others.

Here's the source where I found it: Possible Solution For DX12 Stutter
This just worked for me. I found a spot where I could repro the frame drop (all the way from 144fps to 17fps) as soon as you take the elevator up to
unlock the maintenance route
Anytime I'd jump from the top of those stairs I'd 100% get a frame drop. I chalked it up to a bad engine*

Thanks a lot the game works smooth as butter now. I was worried my brand new 2080ti card was defective (but then at least figured out it was somethign else after I found a spot to 100% repro the dip)

Last edited:

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Is the patch out on pc?
I'm asking as I thought it was, but I still can't upgrade the Pierce past level one, maybe I'm wrong.

EDIT: it's out, but the bug is still there. I finished the game, I have no idea how fo fix it. Am I the only one?
EDIT 2: I completed a random mission, now I can finally upgrade the Pierce

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks really good on my 2080 Super, but there are a few nitpicks, not sure what it is.

I've noticed shadows on character models (like from their hair or something) will sometimes flicker and be noisy and textures in dark areas will look kinda weird at times. Like on walls or Jesse's starter jacket. They almost look "wet" in the dark. Really weird.

Edit: possibly a stupid question, but why are my only two render resolution options in DX 12 way below my monitor resolution (1440p)?

Last edited:

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Question on which platform to get this game on, PC or PS4 Pro, due to a recent console performance update.

I have a gaming pc, i5 3570k gtx 1080, and a PS4 Pro, both hooked up to a 4k tv. Just curious if the game will run better on the PC while looking better? Seems like it's a pretty demanding game and my PC is a little behind spec wise, and won't really be able run the game at its best at anything above 1080p 60ish. PS4 Pro has checker boarding so idk if that makes a difference, seems like it runs at 1080/30 but upscaled to 4k.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing with everything maxed, RTX on full, at 1080 with DLSS.
2080 / 3700x at facotry settings.

I'm sat around 70 fps usually, but areas with lots of Debris and RTX effects drop into the 40s.

What would you personally turn down to try to hit 60fps (72 if possible)?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm playing with everything maxed, RTX on full, at 1080 with DLSS.
2080 / 3700x at facotry settings.

I'm sat around 70 fps usually, but areas with lots of Debris and RTX effects drop into the 40s.

What would you personally turn down to try to hit 60fps (72 if possible)?
Volumetric lighting to medium is a big performance increase and very little visual difference.
Second setting to change if you need more to hit 60 would be Global Reflections to medium

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Volumetric lighting to medium is a big performance increase and very little visual difference.
Second setting to change if you need more to hit 60 would be Global Reflections to medium
Eh, for some reason my DLSS wasn't working properly. I messed around with the settings and it's back again, now I'm only dipping to mid 50s and Gsync handles it.

I just reid those two settings to medium... and saw hardly any increase in FPS. Like a few frames at most. Does that sound right?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Question on which platform to get this game on, PC or PS4 Pro, due to a recent console performance update.

I have a gaming pc, i5 3570k gtx 1080, and a PS4 Pro, both hooked up to a 4k tv. Just curious if the game will run better on the PC while looking better? Seems like it's a pretty demanding game and my PC is a little behind spec wise, and won't really be able run the game at its best at anything above 1080p 60ish. PS4 Pro has checker boarding so idk if that makes a difference, seems like it runs at 1080/30 but upscaled to 4k.

PC no doubt, youve got a 1080 for gods sake.

Forget RTX, This game will eat a GTX 1080 for breakfast.

Set res to 4K.
Set render res to 1440p or wherever (1440p should be doable)
All max settings cept Screen Space Reflections Quality and Volumetrics to Medium.
Turn on Nvidia Freestyle Sharpener - In some cases its actually better than DLSS and for this game I think it is.
Turn off Vsync in game.
Use Nvidia Adaptive or Fast Sync.

Youll be at beyond PS4 Pro quality and still running at 60fps. Win/Win

Screen Space Reflections Quality to Medium is a good amount of frames about 10+ but the drop in quality is low, also youll be moving around enough it wont really bother you. There are lots of reflections thus the hit.
Volumetrics has a hit, but Medium and High youd need side by side comparisons to even guess which setting is which.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, for some reason my DLSS wasn't working properly. I messed around with the settings and it's back again, now I'm only dipping to mid 50s and Gsync handles it.

I just reid those two settings to medium... and saw hardly any increase in FPS. Like a few frames at most. Does that sound right?

If you are using the full RTX feature set, Screen Space Reflections are doing very very little work as most reflections are being Ray Traced....so the performance gain would be negligible going from High to Medium.

Unless the patch changes something and/or the DLSS algorithm gets better for the game Nvidia Freestyle Sharpener should net you similar if not better results than DLSS.
F-10.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you are using the full RTX feature set, Screen Space Reflections are doing very very little work as most reflections are being Ray Traced....so the performance gain would be negligible going from High to Medium.

Unless the patch changes something and/or the DLSS algorithm gets better for the game Nvidia Freestyle Sharpener should net you similar if not better results than DLSS.
F-10.jpg
To be clear, does this mean turning off DLSS and setting the render resolution lower then enabling Freestyle to compensate?

Still learning about this part.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, does this mean turning off DLSS and setting the render resolution lower then enabling Freestyle to compensate?

Still learning about this part.

Yeah turn off DLSS, set a lower resolution and turn on Freestyle Sharpening.
You can also alter the DLSS and Internal Render settings in the Renderer.ini file to test what works best for you, different strokes and all...everybody has a preference.
But the lower res + Freestyle Sharpening has been booming since Nvidia updated it, because it makes sub-native games look clean without too much of a hit to performance.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed one of the RTX effects makes some parts of the screen look like they have artefacts.

1080, Everything maxed, RTX high, no film grain.
iQZ0z7.jpg

1080, Everything maxed, RTX high, no film grain, but Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting turned off.
iQZIwr.jpg

As you can see, turning off this RTX setting removes the noise.

Is this looking right? Is that just how the effect looks?

Yeah turn off DLSS, set a lower resolution and turn on Freestyle Sharpening.
You can also alter the DLSS and Internal Render settings in the Renderer.ini file to test what works best for you, different strokes and all...everybody has a preference.
But the lower res + Freestyle Sharpening has been booming since Nvidia updated it, because it makes sub-native games look clean without too much of a hit to performance.
I'll mess around, thank you. So far though, DLSS looks a better to me...

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've noticed one of the RTX effects makes some parts of the screen look like they have artefacts.

1080, Everything maxed, RTX high, no film grain.
iQZ0z7.jpg

1080, Everything maxed, RTX high, no film grain, but Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting turned off.
iQZIwr.jpg

As you can see, turning off this RTX setting removes the noise.

Is this looking right? Is that just how the effect looks?

I'll mess around, thank you. So far though, DLSS looks a better to me...
Diffused lighting does add noise, it's much less noticeable then it was before the patch now. Before it was really bad.

It really adds some incredible looking AO but it is a very big performance hit. Playing at 4k (DLSS1080P) I have it turned off for the perf gains and using just SSAO everything else maxxed except vol lighting at medium. On my 2080ti I keep a locked 60 most of the time. Certain large areas with tons of reflective surfaces or in super heavy combat it will drop into the mid to high 50s but it's still totally playable.

WIth Defused lighting on I get drops into 40s at times.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what my framerate is anymore, but I'm having a much better time with the game now that it's been patched. I'm running an i74790k with a 2070 Super and 16 gigs of ram. Running the game pretty much maxed out at 1440p. It runs well now. Very pleased.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Diffused lighting does add noise, it's much less noticeable then it was before the patch now. Before it was really bad.

It really adds some incredible looking AO but it is a very big performance hit. Playing at 4k (DLSS1080P) I have it turned off for the perf gains and using just SSAO everything else maxxed except vol lighting at medium. On my 2080ti I keep a locked 60 most of the time. Certain large areas with tons of reflective surfaces or in super heavy combat it will drop into the mid to high 50s but it's still totally playable.

WIth Defused lighting on I get drops into 40s at times.
Ah, okay. I've turned that one off. Thanks very much for the write up!

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with an RTX card that hasn't ran any promo code on Geforce experience could run my promo code?

Thanks!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In that thread they are looking for the final key for the game. The one you get from redeeming the promo key i have ;)
So, it's the same thing really.
Maybe list it there anyway? Some people buy GPUs without the free games... or sold the codes they got.

Otherwise ebay? Not sure how these things work.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Just want to flaunt how good this game looks at 5120x1440.

At the same time I want to give a big boo to the developers for not supporting this resolution out of the box, only 21:9 ultrawide options seem to work. By default if I set the full resolution a 21:9 aspect ratio is stretched to full screen. The game needs to be patched with this. When the game is patched it actually works better than most games with no fisheye effect on the edges. DLSS can even be used with this resolution, just tweaked the values a bit to be the same factor as the default DLSS settings. With all the raytracing stuff enabled it runs quite alright on a 2080 Ti + 3700X system.

In terms of gameplay it gives a big advantage by allowing proper peripheral vision so you are less likely to get ambushed.

Gt1HFHn.jpg

mkMeLWF.jpg

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't listen to Black_Stride about DLSS. The implementation in this game is phenomenal and wayyyyy better than just using scaling.

watch:

You need to cut down on that DF kool-aid. They are not be all end all authority on video game image quality. There are folks out there who have just as keen attention to detail as DF. For instance, has DF even mentioned severe ghosting and artifacting with Indirect Diffuse lighting turned on?

DLSS still looks like upscaled image, it's just not as bad as implementation we had in some previous games. And you shouldn't brush off other peoples recommendations with juvenile comments like "don't listen to person x", especially after they provided good recommendations and analysis with their own images.

(Made some edits to expand on my post.)

Last edited:

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
You need to cut down on that DF kool-aid. They are not be all end all authority on video game image quality. There are folks out there who have just as keen attention to detail as DF. For instance, has DF even mentioned severe ghosting and artifacting with Indirect Diffuse lighting turned on?

DLSS still looks like upscaled image, it's just not as bad as implementation we had in some previous games. And you shouldn't brush off other peoples recommendations with juvenile comments like "don't listen to person x", especially after they provided good recommendations and analysis with their own images.

(Made some edits to expand on my post.)
Oh did you find their image of Battlefield DLSS helpful in a discussion of Control? You should read their entire post before defending someone too, and realize that they actually did not have anything meaningful to contribute to the discussion, and just continued to push a false narrative that Sharpening is the same thing as Image Reconstruction, while using a year old photo from a different game as concrete proof to avoid using DLSS.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh did you find their image of Battlefield DLSS helpful in a discussion of Control? You should read their entire post before defending someone too, and realize that they actually did not have anything meaningful to contribute to the discussion, and just continued to push a false narrative that Sharpening is the same thing as Image Reconstruction, while using a year old photo from a different game as concrete proof to avoid using DLSS.
Nvidia introduced Freestyle Sharpening 3 weeks ago and the image is not a year old, in fact it's 10 days old and is from this very interesting article.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Nvidia introduced Freestyle Sharpening 3 weeks ago and the image is not a year old, in fact it's 10 days old and is from this very interesting article.
The picture could be from yesterday and it wouldn't change anything, please explain the relevance of a Battlefield V screenshot showcasing its DLSS implementation to a thread about Control which has an entirely different implementation of DLSS, especially when that article that is linked can't figure the difference out between Image Sharpening and Image Reconstruction, and the fact that they are NOT EXCLUSIVE. Better advice would be to use DLSS and Sharpen Filter at the same time.