• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
You don't think having an upgrade from 8 to 10 cores is significant? 25% more cores, much less any IPC gains between gens. Games are going to more and more take advantage of high core count, especially once ps5 and Xbox 4 game development is in full gear.

10 cores versus 8 isn't magically going to help someone "cover the whole PS5, Xbox 4 generation" as you put it. He could go with 8 cores now and then upgrade to 16 or whatever is available in 2023. I'm generalizing here but the point is that you can't anticipate what CPUs will last you until 2026 or whenever we're prepping for the PS6/XB5. People today can play modern games with 1st-gen i7 and still get an enjoyable experience, albeit with lower-than-ideal framerates.

strang

Oct 27, 2017
Having a few issues, has anyone had similar ones?

First, the image quality is a blurry mess in some places. This is with DLSS and Raytracing on, 1440p display resolution and 960p render resolution (the image is a bit small but the door is super blurry in game):

vZZ71uV.png

Second, I'm getting weird ghosting in conversations with DLSS on. When the camera cuts back and forth there's a brief after-image of the previous scene, super distracting.

Third, can anyone say for sure if Nvidia sharpening should work in this game? I see people mentioning it, but when I try to enable it in the Nvidia overlay it just says "an error occurred."

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Having a few issues, has anyone had similar ones?

First, the image quality is a blurry mess in some places. This is with DLSS and Raytracing on, 1440p display resolution and 960p render resolution (the image is a bit small but the door is super blurry in game):

vZZ71uV.png

Second, I'm getting weird ghosting in conversations with DLSS on. When the camera cuts back and forth there's a brief after-image of the previous scene, super distracting.

Third, can anyone say for sure if Nvidia sharpening should work in this game? I see people mentioning it, but when I try to enable it in the Nvidia overlay it just says "an error occurred."
Disable global illumination rtx it adds a lot of graininess to the picture, I use only 3 out of the 4 rtx options. And yes the Nvidia sharpening works very well you must have something else going wrong.

strang

Oct 27, 2017
Disable global illumination rtx it adds a lot of graininess to the picture, I use only 3 out of the 4 rtx options. And yes the Nvidia sharpening works very well you must have something else going wrong.

If you mean Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting, I already have that turned off.

For the cutscene ghosting issue I took a video of it, watch when the camera cuts between their faces:

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you mean Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting, I already have that turned off.

For the cutscene ghosting issue I took a video of it, watch when the camera cuts between their faces:

I think the ghosting is caused by the way DLSS works in this game, before using it I had no ghosting, but the image quality is so much better with DLSS that I don't care anymore about that ghosting in conversations.

Also, the sharpening filter works, check if your GeForce Experience is up to date or reinstall it.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Edit: No bugs, I was just stupid. Thanks to some help, I realized my mistake during the "Finnish Tango" mission (tip: try all doors - I hadn't even seen the correct one in my first attempts). As for "Mold Removal" side mission, you can find stragglers outside of the main highlighted areas of the map, which is a bit confusing (the text never makes that clear).

Just finished the game and loved it. The map could really use some improvements, though. A 3D map like in Metroid Prime would make a lot more sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First patch coming today, maybe already available according to the OT : https://controlgame.com/control-september-update/

Hi everyone! We're thrilled to announce that the latest update for Control is OUT NOW on PlayStation 4. Since launch, Remedy have been listening to community feedback and working flat out behind the scenes on Control.

To our Xbox One and PC players, DO NOT PANIC! This update is heading your way very soon.

As many of you will know, bug fixing and submission times vary across each platform, which is why we're not out on all formats yet! All being well, we won't keep you waiting very long. Stay tuned to our social media channels for more info.

In the meantime, take a look at what you can expect as part of our latest update…

General
– Bug and crash fixes to missions, combat and overall game play
– Fixed multiple issues with the PC launcher related to DX11/DX12 crashes

Performance
– Improved title stability on all platforms
– Improved general frame-rate performance through optimisations made to multiple systems and content

UI
– Improved map loading times (map will no longer tease information)
– Motion Blur On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Film Grain On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Fixed incorrect UI behaviour on ultra-wide monitors (PC)
– Fixed multiple issues when incorrect subtitles are shown for multiple languages
– Fixed issue when the game centers the aim on Jesse's head
– Fixed multiple UI related issues

Progression
– Fixed an issue when player could not acquire 'Pierce Charging Efficiency' and 'Spin Grouping Efficiency' upgrade
– Fixed issue when Crafting Charge and personal Mods would not give the Weapon/Mod but take the materials (Sorry. The Board was greedy)
– Fixed issue that prevented players activating the Pierce weapon form upgrade
– Fixed issue when Jesse is unable to cleanse the 'Transit Corridor South' Control point upon returning from Prime Candidate Program area in the mission The Face of the Enemy
– Fixed an issue when Heptonstall would not spawn during certain story missions in the "Old Friends" side-mission (still looking for his buddy Remus)
– Fixed issue when Hiss Barrier remains in the Directorial Override mission's Control Room if the player dies during the binding cut scene

Sound
– Fixed issue when certain licensed music tracks play after enabling the 'Mute Copyrighted Tracks' option
– Fixed and issue when audio is out of sync in the Dr Darling videos (PS4)

Misc
– Fixed issue with the Charge weapon forms erroneous blast radius causing (way) too much visual damage to the environments
– Fixed an issue where game would stall when completing a story mission and unlocking a trophy (PS4)

Once again, we want to thank our brilliant players for their amazing support. We can't wait to tell you more about what we're up to behind the scenes. In the meantime, have a great week and we'll speak to you soon.

No specific mentions of the stutters on PC but several performance optimisations so let's hope it's better.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing this morning before the patch and getting no stutters, its really random. From what I've seen it changes each time you load or fast travel between no stutter at all / mild stutter and heavy stutter. Loading the same area twice in a row changes the smoothness even. Hopefully the patch does something. Its out rn on the epic store btw

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
First patch coming today, maybe already available according to the OT : https://controlgame.com/control-september-update/

No specific mentions of the stutters on PC but several performance optimisations so let's hope it's better.
Ah good. I've been getting that Heptonstall bug. I thought it was just something I was doing wrong. I'll be interested to see if I can push textures back up to ultra (as dropping them to medium 100% fixed stuttering). The game looks decent still set to medium and I'm fully convinced it is indeed just a setting controlling how quickly they stream in, or how large a texture cache the game uses (vs actually having different quality textures at the different settings), so it's not a big deal if it doesn't happen.

No way I'm turning off motion blur though. I'm glad the toggle is going in because I know many of you hate it, but I'm on the same page as the DF boys and prefer motion blur to no motion blur.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
Edit: Good news! You're still able to unlock the PS4-exclusive bonus content, just not by using the old offset values (which have changed).

Open the game's executable with HxD and search for the following hex value: "74 43 80 7D 09 00 74 3D". Replace "74 43" and "74 3D" with "90 90" and "90 90". Save and start the game. The outfits should be available with the "new" icon on them.

Credits to Rose, of the PCGamingWiki.

On a separate note: the bonus side mission is still glitched for me. The tape recorder is there, and I can even interact with it, but no audio plays and the side mission doesn't start.

Before the patch, I was able to start the side mission (even though the tape recorder behaved the same - no audio would play after interacting with it). I could track it under "side missions", but the second tape wasn't where it was supposed to be, so I was never able to complete it.

Last edited:

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the patch very briefly this morning. I wasn't having an major performance issues prior, though. All I know is that the patch didn't fix the one issue I'm having, which is that my framerate tanks to single digits when exiting the upgrade/missions/etc. menu (recovering within a second or two).

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
To unlock the Bonus Content:

Credit to tet666 for the addresses!

Open the file Control_DX12.exe or Control_DX11.exe in HxD. Hit Ctrl-F to open the Find window and switch to the "Hex-Values" tab.

First, search for value 74 43 by hitting the "Search All" button. You should get a bunch of results in the search box at the bottom. Scroll through that results list until your find the line with the "Offset" value of 11D4D6. Double-click on that line to jump to it and then modify the 74 43 to 90 90.

Second, search for value 74 3D by hitting the "Search All" button. You should get a bunch of results in the search box at the bottom. Scroll through that results list until your find the line with the "Offset" value of 11D4DC. Double-click on that line to jump to it and then modify the 74 3D to 90 90.

Save the changes

Did they just patch this?

Edit: I'm blind and glanced over that post at first, thanks EeK9X for new values

Last edited:

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
So before the new Nvidia driver and patch I was getting the pauses on DX12 using RTX etc. Resolved them with the medium textures last night.

Post patch and new Nvidia I put textures back to ultra and its been perfect even in very busy firefights.

2080ti 4K with DLSS 1080p and everything maxed out but film grain and motion blur off.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
interesting its a shame that the specific changes arent listed in the patch notes I wonder what they changed

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's the patch or the latest Nvidia Driver (436.30) but stutters are almost gone, I had a few drops but maybe it was just a streaming issue or just overloaded GPU.
Old big stutters during combat are gone, I threw everything everywhere with powers, smashing everything during a combat with several ennemies and it was way better, almost no drops.
I think most of the drops were caused by Debris RTX but it was not really bothering.

(2080 Ti with all RTX effects, 1080 DLSS to 4K, textures set to the maximum)

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Just...fucking wow. The raytracing in this game....it's just incredible looking. This is the future of game rendering. It looks so natural.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Patch really seemed to improve the hitching. I played 2 hours tonight and didn't get big hitches in combat. almost always I would get them 1 - 1.5 hours in.

I had a few minor ones, but maybe 3 total and nothing near as bad as before

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It's either the game patch or the new drivers, but enabling RTX features does not crash the game anymore for my 1080 Ti

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Just tested the patch and in the areas and battles where I had huge hitches, everything was smooth.
Weirdly enough though, I'd swear the average FPS is now lower than it was before. At 4K DLSS 1080p and everything maxed out, I get areas where framerate goes in the mid 40s. In one spot, if I stopped moving I was getting around 45fps and even removing volumetric lighting and indirect diffuse lighting I was still getting 45fps.
Maybe I didn't notice it before, but it definitely seems like I get framerates below 60fps more often now.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
Used to get the random framerate hitches despite being locked at 60fps. Installed the new patch and Nivida drivers. Now smooth as butter so far. Loving this game

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
For some reasons the mini freezes in DX12 mode are gone for me and I now can fully enjoy this game. Performance is more stable and slightly better (higher fps) than in DX11 mode and loading times are ridiculous short now. I don't now if it was the newest driver Nvidia released, because I think I got rid of those problems even before... somehow.

The only thing I actually did differently before the newest update, was launching DX12 mode directly via the .exe and Steam (for PS4 controller support), but I can't figure out how this would possibly positively effect the performance.

Anyways, people who had had issues before in DX12, should give it a try now.

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully last time I'll have to ask but can someone tell me what version number they're running with the update and how big the file size did? Dude that sold me the review key (which Epic says is a demo key) is being hesitant to give me a refund. My game isn't updating, probably because it's a "control (review)" copy (which has the file folder "controldemo".)

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully last time I'll have to ask but can someone tell me what version number they're running with the update and how big the file size did? Dude that sold me the review key (which Epic says is a demo key) is being hesitant to give me a refund. My game isn't updating, probably because it's a "control (review)" copy (which has the file folder "controldemo".)
My version is now "01.03.00", was "01.02.00" before in EGS I think.
If I open the Control_DX12.exe properties, in the details tab I have this file version : 0.0.272.1255 (it was something like 0.0.269.xxxx before). If I remember well you said you had a version in EGS looking like 270.xx.

I can't tell the size of the update, I was not home when it updated, but I can give you the actual folder size : 34.0 GB (was around that size before too, and it downloaded around 23 GB the first time, compressed data).
Many files were updated.

A friend from Gamersyde has a review version that he used to do his review, it only updated this morning but he told me he still has the stutter issue. He also has a 2nd Control game listed as unavailable.
I asked him to give me his Control_DX12.exe version number, he has 0.0.275.1255 too now, and in EGS it's still a different long number.

So either they forgot to update the review copies, or it got updated this morning (you can tell by checking the file version and modification date).
Maybe Community Manager vidaisonline can report it to Remedy or tell us more.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Edit: Good news! You're still able to unlock the PS4-exclusive bonus content, just not by using the old offset values (which have changed).

Open the game's executable with HxD and search for the following hex value: "74 43 80 7D 09 00 74 3D". Replace "74 43" and "74 3D" with "90 90" and "90 90". Save and start the game. The outfits should be available with the "new" icon on them.

Credits to Rose, of the PCGamingWiki.

On a separate note: the bonus side mission is still glitched for me. The tape recorder is there, and I can even interact with it, but no audio plays and the side mission doesn't start.

Before the patch, I was able to start the side mission (even though the tape recorder behaved the same - no audio would play after interacting with it). I could track it under "side missions", but the second tape wasn't where it was supposed to be, so I was never able to complete it.
ty!

Oct 25, 2017
If I open the Control_DX12.exe properties, in the details tab I have this file version : 0.0.272.1255 (it was something like 0.0.269.xxxx before). If I remember well you said you had a version in EGS looking like 270.xx.

I can't tell the size of the update, I was not home when it updated, but I can give you the actual folder size : 34.0 GB (was around that size before too, and it downloaded around 23 GB the first time, compressed data).
Many files were updated.

A friend from Gamersyde has a review version that he used to do his review, it only updated this morning but he told me he still has the stutter issue. He also has a 2nd Control game listed as unavailable.
I asked him to give me his Control_DX12.exe version number, he has 0.0.275.1255 too now, and in EGS it's still a different long number.

So either they forgot to update the review copies, or it got updated this morning (you can tell by checking the file version and modification date).

Much appreciated thanks!

Figures now my PC won't boot normally so I need to dick around in safe mode to figure out what's going on. Sigh. It's always something.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Either the new patch or the nvidia drivers fixed the Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting setting, before it would cause very grainy shadows to appear on most things including your characters face, now it doesn't do any of that, it just makes the shadow and lights even more realistic, it is a big performance hit, but it looks very beautiful, and if you've been sleeping on this setting like I have, maybe it is time to give it another chance.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Either the new patch or the nvidia drivers fixed the Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse Lighting setting, before it would cause very grainy shadows to appear on most things including your characters face, now it doesn't do any of that, it just makes the shadow and lights even more realistic, it is a big performance hit, but it looks very beautiful, and if you've been sleeping on this setting like I have, maybe it is time to give it another chance.
Oh great to hear, I had disabled it due to the smeary noisy look. I will check it out again now! thanks!

Edit: Holy crap it looks great now!!

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Indeed this is a thing that was changed :D

Looks so much smoother now that indirect lighting!

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018

Many files were updated.

heyo, thanks for the ping. both versions should have the latest update by now.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Indeed this is a thing that was changed :D

Looks so much smoother now that indirect lighting!
Alex I Just watched your DLSS video on Control, What a great video totally loved you digging into the meat of this implementation, having remedy who has always been really great with reconstruction stuff mixed with the new approach nvidia is using for dlss really shines in control it looks so damn good! The stuff you guys do at DF is the best out there, happy to be a patron!

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Played abit more today after the patch, initial load seems to take a small bit longer but subsequent loads were the same. Frame rate seems to be slightly lower overall but it is a lot more stable with almost no stutter now in combat.
Also I think the game actually looks better now for some reason

Oct 25, 2017

Many files were updated.

Also, turns out dude who sold the key won it from a website but already had pre-purchased the game so he's messaging them about it. I'm assuming sites probably aren't supposed to give away review keys? It updated today so I'll have to fire it up now that I have my system running again and see if it's all good.