• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the DX12 stutters for me were entirely caused by the texture setting. Dropping to high textures on my 2080 didn't seem to do anything, while dropping the setting to medium seems to have cured the stutter entirely. With DLSS at 960p, I can't honestly say that it's even a noticeable change, and it's made combat so much more enjoyable. Bizarre, but I'll take it!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is it normal for DX11 to take more than double the time, loading the game world, that DX12 takes?
It took a bit of testing, but I did find a way to reproduce this. I am normally playing on a 100Hz monitor, where load times in DX11 and DX12 are identical - about 10 seconds to get into the game.
Loading time seems tied to frame rate. The game normally enables V-Sync in the menus, which limits them to 100 FPS on my display. If I force V-Sync off, they run at the game's limit of 240 FPS - and load times drop to ~5 seconds.
However, if I limit the frame rate to 24 FPS there is a big difference. DX11 mode takes 30 seconds to get into the game, while DX12 mode only takes 20 seconds.

That's not twice as long, but it makes me think that people seeing slower load times in DX11 are either seeing a similar gap due to using a 60Hz display, or have something set differently with either V-Sync or a frame rate limit.
For example: I use SpecialK to force the game into Flip Mode in DX11 for G-Sync to work properly, and I also use it to limit the frame rate to 90 FPS.
It is not necessary to use SpecialK to get Full-Screen G-Sync working in DX12 mode, so if V-Sync is disabled it's 90 FPS in DX11 vs 240 FPS in DX12 when loading, which halves the load times from ~10s to ~5s. Not because DX12 is faster to load, but because the frame rate is unlocked.

Maybe MFAA does not work on transparent textures, thus 2x is still applied there ?
Or MFAA does not work well in this engine ? But some edges seem to look better on your screenshot.
Also, as the game uses reconstruction, MFAA may not be that helpful.

Before moving to 1080p DLSS in 4K (which looks way sharper and detailed than 1080p with MSAA 4x), I noticed that MSAA mostly had an impact on some edges while moving, on static scenes it did not change that much thanks to reconstruction.
But now I use DLSS, image is sharper, more detailed, and there's no more shimmering on transparent textures, nor aliased edges when moving.
Unfortunately DLSS is only available for RTX GPUs.
4x MFAA is 4x MSAA plus jittered sample positions and temporal accumulation. Enabling MFAA does not halve the sample count; it's supposed to "double" the effective sample count after temporal accumulation - so 4x MFAA ≈ 8x MSAA, according to NVIDIA.
It clearly should not be used with Control, but as I said before, I have yet to find a game where MFAA actually looks better. I'm not convinced it actually works as intended.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It looks like the DX12 stutters for me were entirely caused by the texture setting. Dropping to high textures on my 2080 didn't seem to do anything, while dropping the setting to medium seems to have cured the stutter entirely. With DLSS at 960p, I can't honestly say that it's even a noticeable change, and it's made combat so much more enjoyable. Bizarre, but I'll take it!
interesting. I'll have to look into that.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4x MFAA is 4x MSAA plus jittered sample positions and temporal accumulation. Enabling MFAA does not halve the sample count; it's supposed to "double" the effective sample count after temporal accumulation - so 4x MFAA ≈ 8x MSAA, according to NVIDIA.
It clearly should not be used with Control, but as I said before, I have yet to find a game where MFAA actually looks better. I'm not convinced it actually works as intended.
I used MFAA in some games, like Forza Horizon 4, it works well there. But it's better to set it on a game basis, setting it globally can produce bad results in games using reconstruction (pixelated edges in Rainbow Six Siege for example).

But what I meant is that, as MFAA 2x is MSAA 2x with shifted samples, I guess transparent textures still get the basic 2x filtering if you enabled alpha to coverage in the drivers, regardless of MFAA.
So MFAA 4x would look like MSAA 4x on transparent textures, and MFAA 2x like MSAA 2x.
I guess that's why the window texture look worse with MFAA on you comparison.

MSAA is not really demanding in this game, there's little difference between 2x and 4x.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
This is very likely. This also can explain why loading times in DX12 are several times faster.
DX12 probably streams textures instead of loading them all during level load. The streaming is what causes stuttering, as I noticed that stutter is most noticeable when moving or at the start of the level.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
can confirm for me, at least. I'm not sure if it was the Texture Resolution option or the Texture Filtering option (I put both to Medium), but played in places that will usually stutter and it was gone.

would need to play more to be sure and certainly this shouldn't be an issue in the first place, but yea.

also, if I just close all my web browser windows, I don't get the stutter, even if the texture settings are High+.

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
To anyone experiencing the DX12 stutter I recommend you to try the following:

1.In Windows Settings search and open Exploit Protection
2.Click On the Program Settings Tab
3.Click On The + Add Programs To Customise
4.Click On Choose Exact File Path
5.Find Control_DX12.exe Click Open
6.Programs Settings For Game Opened ,Scroll Down To Control Flow Guard
7.Put Check Mark In Override System Settings And Turn From On To Off And Apply

After following those instructions my stutter is 100% gone and the game runs flawless, just thought I would share in case it helps others.

Here's the source where I found it: Possible Solution For DX12 Stutter

This completed fixed my stutter too, thanks!

Edit: actually no it did not completely...

Last edited:

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna mention the same thing. Sometimes I launch the game and it's stutter free. Other times it's a stutter fest. Sigh.

This has been my issue with Battlefield V for some months now. It used to work great but recently it sometimes runs great, at other times it's stuttering constantly and makes the game unplayable. Not using RTX features in BFV either. At first I thought I fixed the stuttering (in BFV) by switching to DX11 but few reboots later it was stuttering again so it was just a random occurrence when I happened to enable DX11.

Now the same issue with Control, but even worse. Even on good days the stuttering is there, but on bad days it's horrible. I've tried applying the fixes mentioned here but no change in the long run. Sometimes it looks like a fix I just applied fixed something but turns out it was just a good boot for Windows (or the game?).

Yesterday I tried the new Plants Vs Zombies game (which uses Frostbite engine afaik) and it's another stutterfest. Oh dear. Now I have three different games stuttering randomly while other games work fine. Go figure..

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Changing the texture resolution to medium has resolved almost all the stuttering I was experiencing.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I mean, it might vary because the 290X might be lacking some of the architectural advantages of newer cards, but there have actually been a few videos from outlets like Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus that show that it's pretty close to an RX 580 still in most games. Here's a video of a 290 getting mostly 50-60fps at 1080p with some dips into the 40s. Looks like they're running on a mix of high and medium settings with 2x MSAA:

Nice, I'm going to assume that's not a reference card, but still quite good performance.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
changing the texture resolution to medium also fixed the stuttering for me on a rtx 2060s

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on DX11, but I also have my textures to Medium because High and Ultra have some weird streaming issues where portraits won't load higher quality versions until you're very close to it, which is super distracting, so I'll take the overall lower fidelity over a more consistent look for every element.

Not very useful to the stuttering discussion, but it's further evidence that there's something wrong with High/Ultra textures and Medium works flawlessly.

EDIT: For the record, in the Gears 5 thread some people were experiencing cutscene stuttering, and somone said that uninstalling the optional Ultra Texture Pack solved it for them. Gears 5 is DX12 too, isn't it? DX12 having issues with high res texture streaming could very well be the heart of the issue.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Reading through this thread is confusing. I bought Control and played for 10 minutes on my 1060 and thought well... this is no fun, so i ordered myself a 2080 super.

Will i be able to 4K it with raytrace on? Im thinking no.

And whats with the two resolution settings? One is high and the other is low with most of you guys?
4K with DLSS set to performance (1080p) should be achievable on a 2080 super, espescially if you have a gsync compatible display.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I'm playing on DX11, but I also have my textures to Medium because High and Ultra have some weird streaming issues where portraits won't load higher quality versions until you're very close to it, which is super distracting, so I'll take the overall lower fidelity over a more consistent look for every element.

Not very useful to the stuttering discussion, but it's further evidence that there's something wrong with High/Ultra textures and Medium works flawlessly.

EDIT: For the record, in the Gears 5 thread some people were experiencing cutscene stuttering, and somone said that uninstalling the optional Ultra Texture Pack solved it for them. Gears 5 is DX12 too, isn't it? DX12 having issues with high res texture streaming could very well be the heart of the issue.
I never had any stutter and I played the whole game on ultra/high textures. I did have the thing where posters/paintings don't load in properly until you are staring at them.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Could be something like Resident Evil 7 where the texture setting just changed how fast textures stream in and setting it too high causes issues

Oct 25, 2017
I never had any stutter and I played the whole game on ultra/high textures. I did have the thing where posters/paintings don't load in properly until you are staring at them.
Yeah, that's my issue with High/Ultra textures, didn't have stuttering either.

I will give it a try, but damn would that surprise me if it fixed it. Still working on Gears5 vid, so I can only test later.
Can't wait for your Gears video!

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
So I wasn't planning on buying this game until I upgrade my PC because my GTX1050TI and my i3-6100 and 8 GB of RAM are not enough for this game. However, I have a friend who managed to get a free code for the game from his job and he decided to give it to me. Do you guys think I could run this at 1080p 30fps on low ?

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
4K with DLSS set to performance (1080p) should be achievable on a 2080 super, espescially if you have a gsync compatible display.
Great! I dont have a gsync display though, but i can compromise on some things, i dont mind.

Seems like alot of people got some of the Super series, did you guys also get Control along with the card? I already have Control so i'll look and see if i can sell the one i get with the card, is it possible? Or is it tied in some way?

Oct 25, 2017
So I wasn't planning on buying this game until I upgrade my PC because my GTX1050TI and my i3-6100 and 8 GB of RAM are not enough for this game. However, I have a friend who managed to get a free code for the game from his job and he decided to give it to me. Do you guys think I could run this at 1080p 30fps on low ?
Benchmarks show a minimum of 38fps on Low. You could also lower the rendering resolution to 720p and either increase settings for a locked 30 with all the effects or keep lower settings for 60fps gameplay.

Devo1989

Nov 9, 2017

Yeah this improved my performance significantly.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Got the stutters today for the first time. Restart helped. Played for about 2 hours afterwards without problems.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't experienced any stuttering here with a 2070 and 8700k at 5.0ghz.

Maybe this game really likes fast CPU cores?

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Runs fine for the most part on my 1060 but I get some subtle, occasional microstutter regardless of the settings. It usually happens when there's tons of shit bouncing around, but sometimes it happens seemingly at random.

akajaybay

Nov 2, 2017
Running into a hard lock when I run the game on DX12. The game performs real nicely. One a 2080 RTX card. But 30-40% of the time the game will crash when I try to come back out of the collectibles screen. If I don't go in there, it's fine. Bumped it to DX11 and no lockups there. But now I'm missing the nice trace reflections as a result.

Jinjo

Nov 12, 2017
Can confirm as well that setting textures to medium fixed my stuttering as well with DX12 (running RTX 2070).

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
Am I the only one that gets a ton of color banding on dark scenes? It is really distracting. I am not sure if it is the DLSS filter or my monitor. Playing on a Dell S2716DG, 3700X with 2070 Super, 1440p all maxed out, DLSS on.

Shotterke

Prophet of Regret
Oct 31, 2017
Belgium
So I have this weird problem.
Yesterday I played without any problems (dx11 since I get stuttering in dx12) but today when I boot the game my framerate drops to 30fps whenever I move my mouse ....

3900x/2080 Super/16GB DDR4 and RTSS shows that neither my CPU or GPU are at 100%.

Any idea what could be the problem? I only have it when playing Control.

Edit:
Reinstalling the game fixed it.

Last edited:

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm as well that setting textures to medium fixed my stuttering as well with DX12 (running RTX 2070).

I've just tried one of the initial sections (the cafeteria) where I always had huge hitches during battle and stuttering seems to be completely gone with textures on medium.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to check out the difference between medium and max textures something weird is at play here