• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
My Radeon VII just barely eeks out 60 fps @1440p, but it's getting fucking nuclear hot (108C) even when the fans are going full blast.

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen people posting about a sharpening filter you can use when using the Nvidia software, but when I try to open up the menu I get a pop up saying I need to be using a supported game. Am I doing something wrong?

Oct 25, 2017
if i convince my balls to play this shitshow at 30 fps, do i have to use both v-sync half-framerate from nvidia control panel and 30 fps limits on rivatuner?

thanks.
I think overriding the vsync won't work in this game except for adaptive sync, but in my experience the game's own double buffered vsync provides a pretty smooth 30fps gameplay, which really surprised me. I didn't measure frametimes, though, just going by feel, but even going back and forth between 60 and 30, which should be jarring by itself, it felt nice.

So just use RTSS to cap it at 30 and make sure it won't shoot up to 60fps in less intense scenes and use the game's own vsync.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
With a 1080 Ti and 3700x, the game drops frequently to the low 40s at max settings (without MSAA) using 3440x1440 so having something like gsync helps tremendously here. 2560x1080 plus 2x MSAA allows me to reach 60 - upper 70s so 2560x1440 will probably somewhere in the middle, closer to the 60-70fps number.

Enabling any of the RTX options locks up the game for me immediately. Must be a bug? I can only get RTX features to work if I drop down to something like 640x480 lol
You really don't want to enable any RTX on a 1080 Ti. The performance hit is bad..... trust me, I've tried.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people posting about a sharpening filter you can use when using the Nvidia software, but when I try to open up the menu I get a pop up saying I need to be using a supported game. Am I doing something wrong?

You have the latest GeForce experience update as well as the new drivers that just came out? Updating both made it work for me.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a combination of AA in the Nvidia control panel that's less taxing than the native MXAA? I tried in-game MXAA off with MFAA on, but it wasn't cutting it. Motion looked terrible.

(I guess this goes for any other settings in-game vs. Nv control panel)

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think overriding the vsync won't work in this game except for adaptive sync, but in my experience the game's own double buffered vsync provides a pretty smooth 30fps gameplay, which really surprised me. I didn't measure frametimes, though, just going by feel, but even going back and forth between 60 and 30, which should be jarring by itself, it felt nice.

So just use RTSS to cap it at 30 and make sure it won't shoot up to 60fps in less intense scenes and use the game's own vsync.
thanks, so to recap, 30 fps limit on riva and v-sync ON from game options, right?

i'm still going to try various method to achieve the impossible 60 frame rock solid...

every details on low here i come...

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
You can either force Adaptive Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel, so it'll only tear when it would otherwise drop straight to 30, or run it in borderless mode with vsync off, that will give you triple buffering and eliminate tearing.

Yeah. I managed to make it work in 3840x1607 ultrawide by first loading that resolution on desktop and then ingame switching to borderless windowed.

I will check out other rendering modes later [4K output, 1440p rendering, with FOV mod to make it more pleasant with my bigass screen].

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I solved these!!

Looks like with the last 2 nvidia drivers when they added the low latency mode setting something got broke with DX12 and the game setting the number of prerendered frames, they rolled the old "max prerendered frames" setting into the Low latency setting in nvidia control panel. now there are no option to directly set this number. But there are three settings for low latency, off (default) app sets number of frames but this appears to be broken and it's not happening with control (and other DX12 games I have seen) if you turn this setting to on, it sets max prerendered frames to 1 and this fixed the hitches for me, just played 45 mins and running around and in heavy combat no stutters/hitches. Give it a try and let me know if it helps you both!

Don't use ultra low latency (third option) as this doesn't queue at all and pushes frame out just in time and will negatively impact smoothness for the sake of latency.,

jMv8ea9.png
If this works I'm going to be so, so happy. I'm going to try this for Division 2 and for this.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a combination of AA in the Nvidia control panel that's less taxing than the native MXAA? I tried in-game MXAA off with MFAA on, but it wasn't cutting it. Motion looked terrible.

(I guess this goes for any other settings in-game vs. Nv control panel)
The 2xMSAA offered in-game is surprisingly light to run, did you try that? 4x is really heavy, but 2x only costs around 5fps, according to Nvidia's guide. That's really cheap for Multisampling.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So, will I be okay at 1080p with an i7-4770k at stock and a GTX1080 or would I be better off on Xbox One X?

Oct 25, 2017
thanks, so to recap, 30 fps limit on riva and v-sync ON from game options, right?

i'm still going to try various method to achieve the impossible 60 frame rock solid...

every details on low here i come...
Yeah, if you're playing on DX11 that should be good enough. Didn't try DX12 yet.

But honestly, with a 1070, try reducing rendering resolution first, and keep everything else maxed, perhaps maybe except for Volumetric Lighting on Medium.

I personally find that a lot more pleasing to play than 1080p 30fps, and you don't lose all of the cool effects that you would for 1080p60. It'll look softer, but more temporally stable than 1080p60 with everything turned off.

I'm only on a 1060, though, maybe the settings you'll need for 1080p60 will look significantly better than I'm expecting.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yeah, if you're playing on DX11 that should be good enough. Didn't try DX12 yet.

But honestly, with a 1070, try reducing rendering resolution first, and keep everything else maxed, perhaps maybe except for Volumetric Lighting on Medium.

I personally find that a lot more pleasing to play than 1080p 30fps, and you don't lose all of the cool effects that you would for 1080p60. It'll look softer, but more temporally stable than 1080p60 with everything turned off.

I'm only on a 1060, though, maybe the settings you'll need for 1080p60 will look significantly better than I'm expecting.
i hate 30 fps on pc, especially in a game like this.
quantum was the last game that force me to play at 30 fps...

Oct 25, 2017
i hate 30 fps on pc, especially in a game like this.
quantum was the last game that force me to play at 30 fps...
Yeah, I just used reconstruction in Quantum Break as well and I don't regret it. The 60fps really do make a huge difference.

I find it really hard to convince myself to play at 30 if 60 is doable, even if I need to lower resolution. I only take the opposite approach of increasing settings/resolution and locking to 30 if my CPU makes it impossible to get stable 60 no matter the settings.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
I think I solved these!!

Looks like with the last 2 nvidia drivers when they added the low latency mode setting something got broke with DX12 and the game setting the number of prerendered frames, they rolled the old "max prerendered frames" setting into the Low latency setting in nvidia control panel. now there are no option to directly set this number. But there are three settings for low latency, off (default) app sets number of frames but this appears to be broken and it's not happening with control (and other DX12 games I have seen) if you turn this setting to on, it sets max prerendered frames to 1 and this fixed the hitches for me, just played 45 mins and running around and in heavy combat no stutters/hitches. Give it a try and let me know if it helps you both!

Don't use ultra low latency (third option) as this doesn't queue at all and pushes frame out just in time and will negatively impact smoothness for the sake of latency.,

jMv8ea9.png
Tried this on my rig running a 1080. Replayed a section of combat where I was getting a lot of stutters, especially when stuff would get thrown or explosives would go off. So far things have stayed smooth. Fingers crossed this does it.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5160x2160
(with a 2080TI)

20-30 fps, no MSAA, diffuse lighting on
25-35 fps, no MSAA, diffuse lighting off

Maybe I just need to get to a busier area

downsampled to 3440x1440
iT0ASC.png

Will probably need to turn some things down, disable RTX stuff, and lower my resolution. I couldn't get DLSS to work at these higher 21:9 resolutions though.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Huh. The game has some ugly-ass tearing although I'm using a G-Sync monitor. I'm playing in fullscreen with 960p DLSS enabled. Any clues? Is it because of DX12?

Other than that, I'm quite happy with the performance with RT Reflections on. RTX2060/i7-4790K/16GB DDR3-2400

Last edited:

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS wouldn't support 21:9 resolutions, would it? Might play on my TV instead if so cuz I feel my i5-8400 and RTX 2070 are going to need all the help they can get if I'm to max the game out, RT included, and shoot for a completely solid 30fps!
Yes, DLSS does support 21:9. It upscale from 960p on my UW 1440p.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Damn my oc 980ti and 6700k combo can't hold 60fps at native 1080p/max settings with frequent dips into the low 50's/high 40's during ingame cutscenes and battles. I tried lowering ssr to medium and AA to off and used nvidias built-in fxaa but still get drops below 60 so i said fuck it cranked everything up and used the resolution scaler in the options scaling a 768p to 1080p and the performance shot up to 70-80fps during cutscenes/battles with a slightly blurrier image quality that doesn't look that bad honestly especially when using the sharpening filter. Definitely gonna give it a replay on my future rtx rig when nvidia releases their next-gen cards to play it in all its glory at a much better image quality.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
The 2xMSAA offered in-game is surprisingly light to run, did you try that? 4x is really heavy, but 2x only costs around 5fps, according to Nvidia's guide. That's really cheap for Multisampling.

I was just going over the guide and saw that! I was surprised — I figured the gulf between off and 2 would be and huge while 2 and 4 being small. Totally backwards. I'll enable the 2x. Would it be advisable to use FXAA on top of that or just forget it?

This wouldn't be necessary if I could run 1440p even close to stable with a 1080 Ti...

also, how do the Nv control panel custom resolutions work? I'd consider dropping from 1080p to keep performance rock solid, but I'd like to sharpen from a 900p image rather than a 768p one if possible

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tried this on my rig running a 1080. Replayed a section of combat where I was getting a lot of stutters, especially when stuff would get thrown or explosives would go off. So far things have stayed smooth. Fingers crossed this does it.
I am glad to hear it looks better, I just played over lunch so only had 45 mins of testing but areas and combat arena I was in was stuttering bad before on my 2080ti, super smooth after turning on low latency. Will play a bunch more this evening and report back how it goes over longer play session.

Deleted member 12317

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I solved these!!

jMv8ea9.png
It was already set to "On" on my PC, I set it when the setting appeared, and got ton of stutter yesterday, I'll try Ultra tonight.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to troubleshoot this game without Steam forums is a fucking pain.

Despite my framerate apparently being around 80hz, it feels like 40hz. Then when I switch on DLSS, framerates are reported near identical, but blatantly the game is smooth as butter....... what's going on, any ideas?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If you're ok with reconstruction from a lower resolution, you can do 720p->1080p at 60fps by turning down Volumetric Lighting to Medium and the rest of the settings maxed. If you prefer a higher res over performance, 1080p30 is very doable. Not sure if at max settings for the whole game, only tested a few parts, but at most you'll turn down Volumetric Lighting to Medium again and you should be good to go. Maybe 2xMSAA instead of 4 if you're still not hitting 30 in a particularly demanding part of the game.

I personally think the reconstruction is great, and ended up preferring 720p60 over 1080p30.

It's actually similar to Quantum Break, even though it looks more impressive in my opinion. Quantum Break at 60fps on my 1060 was 1080p with reconstruction on (so 720p) and both volumetric and global ilumination set to medium, IIRC. Maybe one more setting to medium.

Usually I don't stress too much about it, as long as it looks good and plays well I'm good, even with 30fps. Thanks for the help.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to troubleshoot this game without Steam forums is a fucking pain.

Despite my framerate apparently being around 80hz, it feels like 40hz. Then when I switch on DLSS, framerates are reported near identical, but blatantly the game is smooth as butter....... what's going on, any ideas?

Is it frame pacing? I can't use DLSS but I've noticed that sometimes 60fps looks like 60fps and sometimes....... it doesn't?

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Yo, cap your frame rate at 30 before your card melts. I get worried when my card pushes past 75 because of my smaller case.

i'd rather have framerate, so i dropped rendering res to 1080p, upped the MSAA to 4x (was only using 2x before) and capped at 60. Card stays in the high 80s now, which is fine (note, this is AMD's Tjunction temp, which is 10-15C higher than standard readings).

IQ definitely took a hit but at least my PC isn't melting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me what almost always gives the best framepacing and input lag is forcing half refresh rate vsync and setting max-prerendered frames to 1 on Nvidia Control Panel/Inspector, and then using RTSS for a 30fps lock on top of that.
Hey, thanks for this! Been playing it like this and having a great time.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Ryzen 3900x + RTX 2080 Ti @ 1440p/60fps (mostly) with highs at 80ish and lows down to the 30's for a split second. Lots of hitching going on with DX12 enabled, while DX11 seems fine. Enabling RTX does hit the framerate hard once there's action on the screen.

Is it right that at 1440p, the DLSS only lets me go up to 960p?
That's my max too, yes.

RTX whoopin my ass. ~55-65. Oddly game isn't putting more than 80% on the GPU which seems odd.

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You're still gonna struggle, even with that card. It's just a very demanding game.
5160x2160
(with a 2080TI)

20-30 fps, no MSAA, diffuse lighting on
25-35 fps, no MSAA, diffuse lighting off

Maybe I just need to get to a busier area

downsampled to 3440x1440
iT0ASC.png

Will probably need to turn some things down, disable RTX stuff, and lower my resolution. I couldn't get DLSS to work at these higher 21:9 resolutions though.

Jim, once you get your pistol, and are able to use your ability you can say goodbye to those FPS you're getting now! I started off at 5120x2880 on my RTX Titan, and i was like "hey this is not bad lol," but then it just went downhill after that. Had to settle down on 4k for now, or at least until we get some SLI bits that work.

Crotin

May 6, 2018
9900K (avg 50C)
64gb RAM (games seems to use 13gb)
2080Ti SLI (not SLI compatible, GPU avg 45C)

DX12
1440p res, 960p render
High Quality Preset
Texture Res: Ultra
Film Grain: Off
RTX On: High
Avg: 16-20 fps

RTX Off
Avg: 40-80fps (mostly depends on the room size, can dip to 30-35 fps if I'm viewing an entire room diagonally)

Same results when lowering res to 1080p and/or switching to DX11. I'm just not getting a consistent framerate, but it doesn't dip below 30fps

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
9900K (avg 50C)
64gb RAM (games seems to use 13gb)
2080Ti SLI (not SLI compatible, GPU avg 45C)

DX12
1440p res, 960p render
High Quality Preset
Texture Res: Ultra
Film Grain: Off
RTX On: High
Avg: 16-20 fps

RTX Off
Avg: 40-80fps (mostly depends on the room size, can dip to 30-35 fps if I'm viewing an entire room diagonally)

Same results when lowering res to 1080p and/or switching to DX11. I'm just not getting a consistent framerate, but it doesn't dip below 30fps
Something's not right there.

3440x1440 with roughly that same DX12 setup + DLSS + RTX High ON + Detail enhancement or w/e I'm at 55-65 FPS at all times.

One GPU.
Yo, cap your frame rate at 30 before your card melts. I get worried when my card pushes past 75 because of my smaller case.
Considering he hasn't posted since, I'mma assume his card melted.

Oct 25, 2017
I was just going over the guide and saw that! I was surprised — I figured the gulf between off and 2 would be and huge while 2 and 4 being small. Totally backwards. I'll enable the 2x. Would it be advisable to use FXAA on top of that or just forget it?

This wouldn't be necessary if I could run 1440p even close to stable with a 1080 Ti...

also, how do the Nv control panel custom resolutions work? I'd consider dropping from 1080p to keep performance rock solid, but I'd like to sharpen from a 900p image rather than a 768p one if possible
I personally wouldn't add FXAA on top of it, but that's just because to me 2xMSAA is already good enough, I don't think it has any negative effects.

Custom resolutions work like you'd expect, just create one (you need to disable DSR first if you have it enabled) in the Change resolution part of Nvidia Control Panel and you're good to go.

However, I wonder if 900p with bilinear scaling to 1080p would actually look better than 768p reconstructed. I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth trying.

Usually I don't stress too much about it, as long as it looks good and plays well I'm good, even with 30fps. Thanks for the help.
Hey, thanks for this! Been playing it like this and having a great time.
Glad to know I could help!

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim, once you get your pistol, and are able to use your ability you can say goodbye to those FPS you're getting now! I started off at 5120x2880 on my RTX Titan, and i was like "hey this is not bad lol," but then it just went downhill after that. Had to settle down on 4k for now, or at least until we get some SLI bits that work.
This FPS is already too low :P Just wanted to see what it would be if I maxed everything and went for broke.

Will probably have to give up 21:9 so I can use DLSS + 4K + a little sharpening so I can have RTX on... because man, RTX looks SO much better.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Is it frame pacing? I can't use DLSS but I've noticed that sometimes 60fps looks like 60fps and sometimes....... it doesn't?

I've resolved it - had to reverify the integrity of the files to fix the issue
It seems to be something to do with changing settings in game in a specific way such that it is screwing up a file after it...

It's fine now and I'm back to about 80hz variable refresh, 1440p, all "maxed" except no film grain, no msaa, RTX without contact hardening shadows and debris.
I imagine the framerate will tank once I get to some action sequences, but we'll see.

I think I might be avoiding frametiming issues thanks to gsync... I'm not really sure. Not tried RTSS, but will try it later and see if I notice a difference

Crotin

May 6, 2018
Something's not right there.

3440x1440 with roughly that same DX12 setup + DLSS + RTX High ON + Detail enhancement or w/e I'm at 55-65 FPS at all times.

One GPU.

Considering he hasn't posted since, I'mma assume his card melted.

Really weird, I'll have to look into this. Even Geforce is recommending the highest settings with MSAA off.

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
IF you stayed at that res, it would go down even lower later haha. Buy yea it's what i'm doing right now (playing @ 4k and it's around 30 FPS with MSAA @ 2x and RTX on), although i hate to sacrifice quality for screenshots, so i don't use DLSS, but not gonna lie it looks pretty darn good in motion. Hard to tell a difference unless directly comparing between on and off DLSS.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Anyone else getting a weird black band in the middle of the screen when using the menu? I didn't have this issue when playing on my PC display (an ultrawide z35), but now getting this game breaking bug when attempting to play on my 4k tv
Edit: This was resolved by restarting my PC

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I've resolved it - had to reverify the integrity of the files to fix the issue
It seems to be something to do with changing settings in game in a specific way such that it is screwing up a file after it...

It's fine now and I'm back to about 80hz variable refresh, 1440p, all "maxed" except no film grain, no msaa, RTX without contact hardening shadows and debris.
I imagine the framerate will tank once I get to some action sequences, but we'll see.

I think I might be avoiding frametiming issues thanks to gsync... I'm not really sure. Not tried RTSS, but will try it later and see if I notice a difference

Oh, that's great! Really wishing I had Gsync for this one. I feel like the motion blur and grain (not just the feature, but the reflections and shadows) makes any performance inconsistency on more noticeable. Glad you got it working as expected with Gsync to clean up the hitches.

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say you reverified the integrity of the files, what does that entail?

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Anyone else getting a weird black band in the middle of the screen when using the menu? I didn't have this issue when playing on my PC display (an ultrawide z35), but now getting this game breaking bug when attempting to play on my 4k tv
Edit: This was resolved by restarting my PC

I also play on my tv, but i don't get that glitch. What's your tv model? I'm on Samsung 85Q900 and no problems so far at least.

Maybe try lowering your HZ rate to 59HZ and see if that helps?!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
For any Steam Controller / Steam Input folks - sadly the game has no simultaneous Mouse + Gamepad control, and the normal gamepad right stick controls are so awful that mouse-like joystick will not function well enough
Thankfully, direct mapping of M&KB works perfectly and you are not missing out on anything with regards to analogue movement. Overlay works without issue and EGS apparently doesn't need to be open to launch the game, so easy to add to Steam.
My controller layout is the same as Gamepad - but with added gyro support, little tune up to the right pad, jump and dodge on grips for combat banter

W6mVrAE.png

Oh, that's great! Really wishing I had Gsync for this one. I feel like the motion blur and grain (not just the feature, but the reflections and shadows) makes any performance inconsistency on more noticeable. Glad you got it working as expected with Gsync to clean up the hitches.

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say you reverified the integrity of the files, what does that entail?

EGS (and Steam if you need it for other games), has a "verify game files" function. If you select the option it will quickly sweep through your game files, and if it finds corrupt / missing files, it will redownload those parts. It can solve quite a few odd problems when you get desperate, so worth a try if you are concerned something really odd is happening

Crotin

May 6, 2018
Really weird, I'll have to look into this. Even Geforce is recommending the highest settings with MSAA off.

Not sure what to do at this point. My rig is just getting overall wack FPS at the highest setting at 1440p, and lowering settings strangely doesn't change the outcome. I'm not sure if it's because I have 3 monitors, or 2 GPUs, or it's a CPU problem or what. I tried re-verifying the game. Maybe an uninstall/reinstall will do something.

wJJ0A8R.jpg