• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
So I ended up buying the game anyways and gsync is a godsend for this game on a 970 + 4690k at 4.3ghz. Getting an average range between 40-55fps at 1080p with a mix of medium and low settings and no AA. There are some drops down under 30 during really heavy destruction but its manageable.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel pretty confident that the jittery feeling I'm getting is DX12. Has anyone gotten around this, or am I going to have to run the game in DX11 and miss out on raytracing? :(

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Not getting the jittery feeling here that most are describing on DX12, game is installed on an NVME m.2, 9700k and 2080 Ti. The only thing occuring to me are some textures are loading in slow (mainly the hanging photos on the walls).

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm getting some slight stutter right after booting but during gameplay it's fine. 9900k 2080 Ti with 32GB DDR4-4000

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Using dx12, 2080ti and latest driver, at 4K with 1440p DLSS and RTX high. Will try turning off indirect diffuse lightning to see what difference but was already 50 fps which felt fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok there are serious problems of loading times in DX11

DX11: 40-60 seconds
DX12: 10-13 seconds
Could this be actually related to the DX12 stuttering? Maybe the reason DX12 loads faster is simply because it loads less stuff, and more has to be streamed as you go, causing the hitches?

I have no technical knowledge on this, just baseless speculation, I don't even know if this is possible.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that info I had it on native 1440p and the 40fps just didn't feel smooth at all even with a gsync montior (maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

I switched the internal to 1080p and the fps jumped up to 60-70s with little visual impact. I am going to try and figure out what I have wrong for gsync. I had in game vsync on but I read I should turn it off and turn it on in the Nvidia control panel.
I have a gsync monitor as well and run with vsync turned off everywhere (in-game and control panel). 40fps is never going to feel smooth compared to 60+.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Also just figured I'd throw my specs/settings here cuz I haven't done that yet. I've got the following rig and settled on these settings for best image quality possible at a near locked 60 fps

Machine
- RTX 2080ti
- 32gb RAM
- Sata SSD

Settings
- Resolution: Output res at 4K and using DLSS with an internal res of 1080p.
- Settings: Max settings with all RTX features turned on except for indirect lighting because of the grainy artifacts it introduces. Film Grain turned on as well as it makes the graininess of the reflections, shadows, and AO stand out less.
- Vsync: Vsync turned on in-game, and I also have a 60 fps cap set by RTSS to smooth out frametimes
- Nvidia Freestyle: Sharpen + Contrast adjustments

Even with these settings on this machine, I'm still running with GPU usage >80% most of the time, and there are definitely moments (though not necessarily in combat) where the framerate can dip to as low as 50 FPS.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not liking the overall look. The game looks so muddy, grainy, fuzzy and noisy. Remedy games had this problem since Alan Wake. There's way too much shimmering and various temporal technique artifacts. I was really hoping Remedy would finally present us with a cleaner looking imagine, but unfortunately all the graphical problems I remember from Quantum Break and Alan Wake are still in this game.

This is on a 2070 SUPER with max settings. I tried DLSS on and off, including rendering at native monitor resolution (which makes performance abysmal).

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'm just spoiled by hyper clean looking games last few years such as Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War 4, DOOM 2016, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Not liking the overall look. The game looks so muddy, grainy, fuzzy and noisy. Remedy games had this problem since Alan Wake. There's way too much shimmering and various temporal technique artifacts. I was really hoping Remedy would finally present us with a cleaner looking imagine, but unfortunately all the graphical problems I remember from Quantum Break and Alan Wake are still in this game.

This is on a 2070 SUPER with max settings. I tried DLSS on and off, including rendering at native monitor resolution (which makes performance abysmal).

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe I'm just spoiled by hyper clean looking games last few years such as Forza Horizon 4, Gears of War 4, DOOM 2016, etc.
I feel like Alan Wake on PC looks really sharp compared to Quantum Break. I'd agree with the console version for its time, though.

Oct 25, 2017
i7-9700k
RTX 2080
16GB RAM
SATA SSD

I've set the game to 2560x1440 internal resolution, DLSS turned on with mostly High and Medium settings. Ray Tracing set to Medium.

I get about 45-55 FPS so today I'm going to tinker a bit to try to maintain 60. Is SSAO worth the impact? Some games can look super flat without it. Maybe I'll turn global reflections down to Medium.

As far as the Nvidia sharpening filter, I hate it. It reminds me of those old Skyrim "HD Textures" mods that just cranked the sharpening up. I'm surprised so many people are into it, but you do you! It's not for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Is there a way to control where your camera is positioned behind the character when aiming down sight? Quite a few times I've wanted to switch shoulders I was looking behind but didn't know how, and I just got into a fight where the camera was literally right behind her head so I couldn't see any targets and died.

Help

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Is there a way to control where your camera is positioned behind the character when aiming down sight? Quite a few times I've wanted to switch shoulders I was looking behind but didn't know how, and I just got into a fight where the camera was literally right behind her head so I couldn't see any targets and died.

Help
I know you can switch shoulders by pressing a direction on the d-pad. Down I think. Works when you're running around anyway.

Oct 31, 2017
I can confirm that there's something weird going on with the aim assist in this game. I think reticule slow down is working, but there is no assist in the way of bullet magnetism, snap to target, or reticule stickiness.

While this isn't an enemy, you can see how the reticule works and how it should be coloured in the first image but it isn't and if it was en enemy it'd register as a miss.
controlscreenshot2019rzk02.png

Move slightly and it turns colour.
controlscreenshot2019tkjs3.png

I was confused when I played last night as well, however it appears that aim assist does nothing when you are aiming manually (holding left trigger) but locks to the target really well when you are not. I just quite aiming manually and it was much easier.

Yeah, everything is a bit soft and fuzzy around the edges for my taste. Especially the hair looks weird to me.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Have you tried using Nvidia Sharpen filter?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
How's 1080ti holding up? I'm on that and a 6700K. Wondering if I'd even be able to max (no RTX) settings and lock at 60 in 1440p?

Anyone messing with RTX stuff on a 1080ti? Assuming it hinders performance quite a bit?

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance at 1080p w/ my i5 2500k @ stock, radeon hd 7970, and 16 gb ddr3 ram. I haven't taken measures of FPS (is there an in-game fps counter option for EGS like Steam has?), but it plays VERY smoothly at a combination of Medium to Low settings. Still looks phenomenal tbh. For having hardware apparently far below the minimum requirements, it runs like a charm. Feels like 45-60, fps closer to 60 fps mostly. Just wish I could disable the Motion Blur somehow, didn't see that as an option.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
How's 1080ti holding up? I'm on that and a 6700K. Wondering if I'd even be able to max (no RTX) settings and lock at 60 in 1440p?

Anyone messing with RTX stuff on a 1080ti? Assuming it hinders performance quite a bit?
I have a 1080ti and a 8700k. I have to lock the game to 1440p30 because I get drops from 60fps which I don't like (this is when I'm playing on my OLED). When I'm using my Gsync monitor it's 60fps+ is no problem (with drops below 60 but they don't bother because of Gsync).

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Is that something that is done in-game? Sorry, I can't check my preferences right now. If that's the secondary resolution thing, yes, I am.
It's a separate program (free) that allows you to set a framerate cap on a per game basis or for all games. When you do that, it also smooths out frametimes so that each frame is delivered more consistently, reducing jiterrines.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

With a 1080 Ti and 3700x, the game drops frequently to the low 40s at max settings (without MSAA) using 3440x1440 so having something like gsync helps tremendously here. 2560x1080 plus 2x MSAA allows me to reach 60 - upper 70s so 2560x1440 will probably somewhere in the middle, closer to the 60-70fps number.

Enabling any of the RTX options locks up the game for me immediately. Must be a bug? I can only get RTX features to work if I drop down to something like 640x480 lol

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a separate program (free) that allows you to set a framerate cap on a per game basis or for all games. When you do that, it also smooths out frametimes so that each frame is delivered more consistently, reducing jiterrines.
I'm not using that, no. I'll try and give it a shot. For reference, I have a 2070 Super, 16 gigs of ram and an i7 4790k.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Enabling any of the RTX options locks up the game for me immediately. Must be a bug? I can only get RTX features to work if I drop down to something like 640x480 lol
Are you using the latest driver? Supposedly that was causing people issues with 10 series cards turning on RTX features, but when they rolled back to the previous driver everything was working correctly.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Are you using the latest driver? Supposedly that was causing people issues with 10 series cards turning on RTX features, but when they rolled back to the previous driver everything was working correctly.
Hmm, didn't know there was a driver rollback? I installed whatever driver was available yesterday. I'll check again later, thanks

MuckyBarnes

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
anyone else getting random "stutters" that freeze for a split second tank fps down to 30s every so often?, doesn't feel like a normal fps dip but more like a problem reading from the SSD or something?

DX12
Yep, me too.

2080ti/6700k, 2160p (DLSS 1080p), RTX and everything else maxed out. Mostly locked to 60 except for the stutters. Game's installed on a NVMe, too.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What kinda of performance can I expect with a 1060? I played Quantum Break a couple months ago and it looked and ran fine, but this game seems to be way more demanding.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
ok so sat down to play it this evening for a few hours

max settings except dlss @960p, rtx 2080, i7 5820k

The game runs alot better than i expected. dlss looks great and without it fps is around 30-40

The lowest fps I saw was 45fps, Cutscenes run fine for me, Controller works, I am getting some frametimes spikes here and there especially with alot of debrias flying in combat but overall its impressive. Any settings I should lower to try and get it 60 and maybe help the frametimes?

+ btw vsync seems triple buffered in dx12 but doubled buffered in dx11 I dunno why but its interesting

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DLSS wouldn't support 21:9 resolutions, would it? Might play on my TV instead if so cuz I feel my i5-8400 and RTX 2070 are going to need all the help they can get if I'm to max the game out, RT included, and shoot for a completely solid 30fps!

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Ryzen 3900x + RTX 2080 Ti @ 1440p/60fps (mostly) with highs at 80ish and lows down to the 30's for a split second. Lots of hitching going on with DX12 enabled, while DX11 seems fine. Enabling RTX does hit the framerate hard once there's action on the screen.

Is it right that at 1440p, the DLSS only lets me go up to 960p?

Oct 25, 2017
What kinda of performance can I expect with a 1060? I played Quantum Break a couple months ago and it looked and ran fine, but this game seems to be way more demanding.
If you're ok with reconstruction from a lower resolution, you can do 720p->1080p at 60fps by turning down Volumetric Lighting to Medium and the rest of the settings maxed. If you prefer a higher res over performance, 1080p30 is very doable. Not sure if at max settings for the whole game, only tested a few parts, but at most you'll turn down Volumetric Lighting to Medium again and you should be good to go. Maybe 2xMSAA instead of 4 if you're still not hitting 30 in a particularly demanding part of the game.

I personally think the reconstruction is great, and ended up preferring 720p60 over 1080p30.

It's actually similar to Quantum Break, even though it looks more impressive in my opinion. Quantum Break at 60fps on my 1060 was 1080p with reconstruction on (so 720p) and both volumetric and global ilumination set to medium, IIRC. Maybe one more setting to medium.

Oct 25, 2017
ok so sat down to play it this evening for a few hours

max settings except dlss @960p, rtx 2080, i7 5820k

The game runs alot better than i expected. dlss looks great and without it fps is around 30-40

The lowest fps I saw was 45fps, Cutscenes run fine for me, Controller works, I am getting some frametimes spikes here and there especially with alot of debrias flying in combat but overall its impressive. Any settings I should lower to try and get it 60 and maybe help the frametimes?

+ btw vsync seems triple buffered in dx12 but doubled buffered in dx11 I dunno why but its interesting
Volumetric Lighting to me is the best one to turn down first to see if it's enough. Turning it down from High to Medium will give you around 10fps, and it doesn't look much worse, in my opinion.

Other taxing settings are Screen Space Reflections and Global Reflections, but I think you're using Ray Tracing, so they probably wouldn't make a difference in your case.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep, me too.

2080ti/6700k, 2160p (DLSS 1080p), RTX and everything else maxed out. Mostly locked to 60 except for the stutters. Game's installed on a NVMe, too.
anyone else getting random "stutters" that freeze for a split second tank fps down to 30s every so often?, doesn't feel like a normal fps dip but more like a problem reading from the SSD or something?

DX12

I think I solved these!!

Looks like with the last 2 nvidia drivers when they added the low latency mode setting something got broke with DX12 and the game setting the number of prerendered frames, they rolled the old "max prerendered frames" setting into the Low latency setting in nvidia control panel. now there are no option to directly set this number. But there are three settings for low latency, off (default) app sets number of frames but this appears to be broken and it's not happening with control (and other DX12 games I have seen) if you turn this setting to on, it sets max prerendered frames to 1 and this fixed the hitches for me, just played 45 mins and running around and in heavy combat no stutters/hitches. Give it a try and let me know if it helps you both!

Don't use ultra low latency (third option) as this doesn't queue at all and pushes frame out just in time and will negatively impact smoothness for the sake of latency.,

jMv8ea9.png

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The game is sadly not liking my custom resolutions. I have 49" 4K TV as a PC monitor, but I often play in 3440x1440 ultrawide and 3840x1607 ultrawide [21:9 that takes full advantage of my screen's width]. The game can work in 3840x1600 in windowed mode, it won't detect it in fullscreen or even borderless windowed.

Any way to remove tearing when locked to 60fps with RivaTuner? Vsync On can cause hard drop to 30fps in demanding scenes, while Vsync Off causes tearing.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I solved these!!

Looks like with the last 2 nvidia drivers when they added the low latency mode setting something got broke with DX12 and the game setting the number of prerendered frames, they rolled the old "max prerendered frames" setting into the Low latency setting in nvidia control panel. now there are no option to directly set this number. But there are three settings for low latency, off (default) app sets number of frames but this appears to be broken and it's not happening with control (and other DX12 games I have seen) if you turn this setting to on, it sets max prerendered frames to 1 and this fixed the hitches for me, just played 45 mins and running around and in heavy combat no stutters/hitches. Give it a try and let me know if it helps you both!

Don't use ultra low latency (third option) as this doesn't queue at all and pushes frame out just in time and will negatively impact smoothness for the sake of latency.,

jMv8ea9.png
Nice! If more people say that this fixed it for them, I think I'll switch to DX12 to enjoy faster loading times.

The game is sadly not liking my custom resolutions. I have 49" 4K TV as a PC monitor, but I often play in 3440x1440 ultrawide and 3840x1607 ultrawide [21:9 that takes full advantage of my screen's width]. The game can work in 3840x1600 in windowed mode, it won't detect it in fullscreen or even borderless windowed.

Any way to remove tearing when locked to 60fps with RivaTuner? Vsync On can cause hard drop to 30fps in demanding scenes, while Vsync Off causes tearing.
You can either force Adaptive Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel, so it'll only tear when it would otherwise drop straight to 30, or run it in borderless mode with vsync off, that will give you triple buffering and eliminate tearing.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I think I solved these!!

jMv8ea9.png

My specs are similar to yours and had hitches too. Will definitely give this a try later!

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
if i convince my balls to play this shitshow at 30 fps, do i have to use both v-sync half-framerate from nvidia control panel and 30 fps limits on rivatuner?

thanks.