• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

almutama

Oct 27, 2017
Controller aim assist doesn't work? Guess I'm not picking this up then, until they fix it.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hah, definitely a different build, then. Weird to have bugs in the final/release version that weren't present in the review/pre-release one.

Here's hoping for a quick fix.
it's not supposed to be the pre-release build though! i got the day one patch and it had all the same features as the day one patch. it's supposed to be the up to date build. odd

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that there's something weird going on with the aim assist in this game. I think reticule slow down is working, but there is no assist in the way of bullet magnetism, snap to target, or reticule stickiness.

While this isn't an enemy, you can see how the reticule works and how it should be coloured in the first image but it isn't and if it was en enemy it'd register as a miss.
controlscreenshot2019rzk02.png

Move slightly and it turns colour.
controlscreenshot2019tkjs3.png

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I reviewed the game in 1080p on a Ryzen 7 1700 and an RTX 2060 - Got a chunky 25-30fps with everything maxed out (including RTX) until the day 1 patch, at which point it jumped up to an average of around 40fps. Crazy optimisation went into that last patch!

Only major issue I had was with textures refusing to load in, but switching out to a different quality immediately sorted it.

DLSS worked well on everything apart from the grids in security windows, which looked *VERY* strange and cross-hatched. Ran at a near locked 60 though when that was enabled with everything else still maxed.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
My setup: 7700K, 1080ti, 16GB of RAM and the game is installed on a SSD. Playing on a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor.

Playing on DX11, everything maxed except textures on high, it seems to average around the mid 60s in the first 30 mins of the game. For kicks I restarted it on DX12 and turned on just ray traced reflections. I think one frame loaded then the game froze and crashed out to the desk top. I never thought my $800 1080ti would already be past it's limits that much in less than two years.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My setup: 7700K, 1080ti, 16GB of RAM and the game is installed on a SSD. Playing on a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor.

Playing on DX11, everything maxed except textures on high, it seems to average around the mid 60s in the first 30 mins of the game. For kicks I restarted it on DX12 and turned on just ray traced reflections. I think one frame loaded then the game froze and crashed out to the desk top. I never thought my $800 1080ti would already be past it's limits that much in less than two years.

I think it's the driver. If you have the latest driver it'll crash on GTX with Raytracing on. I rolled back to the previous driver and I can turn the effects on with 1080. Obviously the performance takes a huge hit, but it's cool to see what each thing does. The reflections seem to be the most demanding effect.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Ryzen 1600X,RTX2060,16gb, install on M. 2. Ssd. 2560x1080 21:9.
DX12 Dlss on so 760x940
Raytace bits on max
Other graphics mixed between medium and max seeing 50-60fps but with the odd stutter mixed in. Running Afterburner shows pretty low cpu and ram usage with gpu around 75%

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the driver. If you have the latest driver it'll crash on GTX with Raytracing on. I rolled back to the previous driver and I can turn the effects on with 1080. Obviously the performance takes a huge hit, but it's cool to see what each thing does. The reflections seem to be the most demanding effect.

Ah okay, I did install the latest driver before playing the game the first time. I left all the settings where they were but just assumed it was too much load with the RTX reflections. I may try rolling back just to see what some of it looks like.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
anyone else getting random "stutters" that freeze for a split second tank fps down to 30s every so often?, doesn't feel like a normal fps dip but more like a problem reading from the SSD or something?

DX12

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
How does sharpening work with nvidia and how do I activate it?
I want to try out 1440p with dssl and sharpening on my 2080 with RTX on.

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yeah it's a shame, it feels great at 60fps but to achieve that you really significantly alter the look of the game. I'm thinkin of locking to 30 as well.

Last night, about 4 hours in - I just said "fuck it" and set the render resolution to 720p (while still outputting at 4k). In all honesty, it looks great to me and I can leave every single setting on high and never dip below 60fps. This is on a 6600k/1080ti.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting random "stutters" that freeze for a split second tank fps down to 30s every so often?, doesn't feel like a normal fps dip but more like a problem reading from the SSD or something?

DX12
A lot of people having this and saying DX11 makes it much better, but apparently loading times are longer. Shouldn't be an issue with an SSD, though (the DX11 loading times, not the stutter).

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Well on the other hand you can get perfect frame times at high on 30 fps with RTSS/Nvidia Inspector so it's still better then consoles, but yeah it's better to wait for next gen if you can't stomach 30 fps and don't want to invest in a 2 grand PC to run this at 60 fps.
I don't hate 30 FPS, I'd just rather wait for a better version cause I have so many other games to play so I feel like I can wait it out. I might get it if there's a good deal down the line tho.
How much can overclocking the 970 do for the FPS? I only ever used it for The Witcher 3 but I remember it showed pretty solid improvements

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm playing on a pad and having no issues with the way it handles aiming. There's definitely some stickiness to aiming at an enemy, and I haven't had trouble shooting what I want to shoot.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Last night, about 4 hours in - I just said "fuck it" and set the render resolution to 720p (while still outputting at 4k). In all honesty, it looks great to me and I can leave every single setting on high and never dip below 60fps. This is on a 6600k/1080ti.
Yeah, on a i54690k and GTX980 I still have to keep most things on low and off, even at 720p, and it looks blurry as fuck, and outputting at 4k even with render set lower tanks the framerate somehow. On my rig, the options are basically everything off, lowest settings, 900p/60fps, or turn the settings up to med-high and lock to 30fps.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get SLI working? I'm trying the Quantum Break compatibility bits and it isn't working great. Also, googling settings for this game is a real pain because of the indistinct game title.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
2600x + 2070S+16gb RAM here. Running on my 4k TV at 960p>1440p using DLSS. Everything Maxed except SSAO set to medium. Looks great and I'm getting a solid 60fps (vsynced to TV) everywhere except crazier fire-fights. I also tried 1080p plus the Sharpening filter with similar results. Not really sure which looked better, hard to tell without being able to run them side-by-side.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan

DX12
Yup I get this, from pretty solid 60fps to all of a sudden 40-30 for split second, like you said feels like loading and happens at random.
2080ti/2700x

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't hate 30 FPS, I'd just rather wait for a better version cause I have so many other games to play so I feel like I can wait it out. I might get it if there's a good deal down the line tho.
How much can overclocking the 970 do for the FPS? I only ever used it for The Witcher 3 but I remember it showed pretty solid improvements

Most easily reach 980 clocks and more so there is a bit of headroom but that will not get you to 60 fps on high/1080p either, i managed mostly 50 with the most demanding settings on medium (and the visual difference is almost unnoticeable) though which is quite playable especially if your screen has a 50 hz mode.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
The indirect diffuse lightning produces some really awful artifacts where it looks like there is moving grain on the walls. Unlike the other effect, prefer to turn it off and would advice others to do the same.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 1080, you won't ever hit 60 at those settings, it'll be in 40s, however drop the resolution scale to 1080 and have the game reconstruct to 1440P + add 4x MSAA (to fix stuff like hair as reconstruction doesn't address those properly) and the game will run at 60+ most of the time with some drops to mid to low 50s in large areas with lots of volumetric. The reconstruction is good so it's worth it as there is no perceivable added blurriness.

If you further drop volumetrics to medium (the diff is so damn minor you will be hard pressed to notice it even when doing side by side comparison) you will hit 60 all the time with maybe an odd 58-59 here and there in the same situation as mentioned before. However if you drop MSAA to 2x from this setting you will never go below 60 ever even in the heaviest scenario. The diff between 2x and 4x MSAA in this game is minor.

Thanks for that info I had it on native 1440p and the 40fps just didn't feel smooth at all even with a gsync montior (maybe I'm doing something wrong?)

I switched the internal to 1080p and the fps jumped up to 60-70s with little visual impact. I am going to try and figure out what I have wrong for gsync. I had in game vsync on but I read I should turn it off and turn it on in the Nvidia control panel.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
The indirect diffuse lightning produces some really awful artifacts where it looks like there is moving grain on the walls. Unlike the other effect, prefer to turn it off and would advice others to do the same.
Yeah in some areas it looks fine but in others its really bad.
It looks like the SSAO that Kiwami 2 used.

DLSS makes it way more pronounced so that doesn't help.

Overall I got used to it and still think the image looks better with it on.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i9-9900K / 2070S / 16GB ram here, the game runs somewhere between 45-60fps on maximum settings at 1440p.

There's definitely a grainy effect brought on by something other than the film grain option, you can see it the most on the protagonist's neck, where shadows and light rays seem to be waging an eternal war for dominance.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
1440p/1080p+nvidia sharpening is really nice. The difference is almost imperceptible. Runs on med/high ~100fps on my 1080ti almost all the time, but drops to 60 during intense battles.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I made a vídeo with my RIG: 3600X and 2070 Super, installed on a 970 EVO plus M.2

Performance could be better tbh....

RT on high makes the game drop around 25fps lol

With DLSS you get a huge fps boost. DLSS + RT is the way to go with Control imho

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah in some areas it looks fine but in others its really bad.
It looks like the SSAO that Kiwami 2 used.

DLSS makes it way more pronounced so that doesn't help.

Overall I got used to it and still think the image looks better with it on.

Hopefully it is not as noticeable latter in the game. If it is, I see no reason to turn that rtx effect on, especially given the performance hit.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Switched to DX11 since people keep saying the stuttering isn't as bad there, but this version forces double buffering when using VSYNC no matter what. I've tried both in game and driver vsync.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Gonna try fastsync and disabling full screen optimizations.

Dan L

Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hopefully it is not as noticeable latter in the game. If it is, I see no reason to turn that rtx effect on, especially given the performance hit.
the very first area you are in the cement walls, esp the short ones, are the worst I have seen it. and yeah when I started they made me turn it off, but then as I got in further I turned it back on and have only seen that "overlay/filter"-like effect a few times. it adds a lot of depth to the IQ though

Oct 25, 2017
Switched to DX11 since people keep saying the stuttering isn't as bad there, but this version forces double buffering when using VSYNC no matter what. I've tried both in game and driver vsync.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Gonna try fastsync and disabling full screen optimizations.
Borderless should get rid of tearing with vsync off, if that's ok for you. Then you can use something like RTSS to cap the framerate so it doesn't max out the GPU when it's not needed.

R8tedm3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Is there any way to get SLI working? I'm trying the Quantum Break compatibility bits and it isn't working great. Also, googling settings for this game is a real pain because of the indistinct game title.

I tried with the same SLI bits for my Titan RTX gpu's and nada! Really sucks as second GPU would really help running this game with all RT effects on at 4k with close to 50-60 FPS.

Hopefully Remedy comes out with a patch, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Has anyone managed to get a 1440p native 60 fps lock in the 2080 ti with most of the rtx effects on? I would absolutely sacrifice indirect diffuse lightning and volum lights to medium for better IQ if it is possible. And maybe one more effect that provides little in terms of eye candy. Otherwise it looks like 1080p DLSS is basically the only choice for 2080 ti owners that want most of the rtx enabled.

Last edited:

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone managed to get a 1440p native 60 fps lock in the 2080 ti with most of the rtx effects on? I would absolutely sacrifice indirect diffuse lightning and volum lights to medium for better IQ if it is possible. And maybe more effects that provide little in terms of eye candy.

You can get over 60fps at 1440p by disabling ind. diffuse lighting with a 2080 Ti, but I suspect you'll still have dips under 60fps (I did but with DLSS enabled).