• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Tried it for a bit earlier on my older machine downstairs i have hooked to my TV specs are gtx 970 , i5 4690k, 16 gb, Win 10.
I got 30-40 fps on high, 40-50 on medium and around 80 fps on low this was on 1080p (also rendering resolution) running trough the first area with action in the game.
That's rough.
I guess I'll wait and play this on the PS5

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Hi people, do you guys think I could maintain 30 fps at native 4K/max settings with every RTX feature turned on? System is a 2080 Ti + i7 6700K

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I meant without DLSS. Kind of a bummer, but I hear good things about DLSS. But rendering a game at a lower resolution than my native 4K res still just seems... "wrong" haha.
i getcha! but the game is basically assuming you're going to use it to get a playable frame rate. 20-30fps with 2080ti otherwise. you really gotta embrace it with this one, it's a way better implementation!

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RTX is really great in this game, shadows and lights look much more realistic, and seeing precise reflections is not what I'm used to, yet.

In one scene I was walking and saw a guy through a window upstairs, I went ahead and once I passed the window there was a wall and no guy, went back and I noticed that what I was seeing was his reflection on the window, not through it.
It was in fact reflecting an area I could not see directly yet !

Sometimes it changes the perception of games, it's more "realistic" in the way you have to see the world.

Note : if the volumetric light had been reflected maybe I would have understood it was a reflection at first sight.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand DLSS.
it's basically a fancy reconstruction/upscaling technique. think akin to checkerboard rendering, but powered by Nvidia's "deep learning supercomputers" (or so they say, skeptical of such buzzwordy sounding PR). this is the first game that supports it for resolutions other than 4K. and it also supports reconstructing from a choice of two native resolutions. for instance 720p or 540p for 1080p, 720p or 960p for 1440p, and so on. i know it sounds bad when you look at the native res it's reconstructing from, but it doesn't look like the native res at all. definitely blurrier than a native image though and with some artefacts.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
i getcha! but the game is basically assuming you're going to use it to get a playable frame rate. 20-30fps with 2080ti otherwise. you really gotta embrace it with this one, it's a way better implementation!

Guess I'll have to find some comparisons... but this technique still sounds alien to me :)

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guess I'll have to find some comparisons... but this technique still sounds alien to me :)
digital foundry is coming out with a really extensive comparison video for the RTX version in the next few days! said DLSS might even be its own video. but alex their PC guy was raving about the implementation on Twitter

Killercow

Oct 26, 2017
Looked through the thread, but haven't seen anybody testing a 980ti so far.

Played just a few minutes yesterday but was getting 60-70 fps on 1440p with everything on max except Vol. Lights disabled/minimum, MSAA 2x and SSAO disabled. Can't wait to try again with motion blur disabled as it was getting in the way.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone an odd sound problem (different language) in the game?

I turned the ingame audio and text to english but the hiss (background chanting) is in german...

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
2080ti/2700x 4k with dlss 1080p looks really great considering the low render resolution. All Max settings except volumetric lighting on med and all Ray tracing options on.

Pretty much a locked 60. Occasional drops to 57/58 in big rooms with lots of reflections and lighting/shadows.

But I do get random hitches. Was pretty bad I turned off my cpu overclock (4.2 all cores) and went to auto boost and it helped they are happening way less. But still happen. Random spots almost like it's loading.
Playing on SSD. Load times are fast

Anyone else experiencing random hitches?

I have the same GPU/CPU combo as yours and had similar experience with same settings (volumetric lighting on high). I played maybe the first our or so just to test performance (I think past the first boss fight). There are some hitches when the game seems to be loading a new area. Those are not bad. The bad ones happened during a combat section where I had several hitches and freezes. I thought it might be the overclock on my GPU. I restarted everything, still with the overclock, and apart from occasional dips, they were never that bad. In certain combat sections though framerate still goes below 50.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017

Can someone explain what that halo-like effect is around the character in this video? And can you disable it?

(the video settings are on High, no DLSS, no RTX, 1080p, with sharpening filter applied, but it looks the same without the filter)

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
7700K, 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM checking in. Playing on a 65" LG OLED C9.

Summary for graphics/performance:
  • 4K display/4K render resolution: 30 fps on average with max settings;
  • 4K display/1440p render resolution: 55-70 fps with max settings;
  • Weirdly, not much of an improvement on performance when changing most settings to medium/low (not even MSAA);
  • DX11 seems to provide a 5 fps boost, on average, over DX12 (pretty much the norm - Shadow of the Tomb Raider being the only exception);
  • Game has a soft look, even on 4K native res.
Issues:
  • Game doesn't detect any controllers (XInput or DirectInput);
    • Workaround: adding the game to Steam and launching it through that software makes it possible to use controllers;
  • No support for arbitrary/custom resolutions, not even when they're already available on NVCP;
    • Workaround: none, so far. Game has its own sets of resolutions for displaying and rendering images;
  • Aim assist settings when using a controller don't seem to work, at all;
    • Workaround: none, so far. It's extremely difficult to aim using a controller, for now.

Started the game on 4K display and render resolution with all settings maxed out, resulting in an average of 30 fps, which wasn't a great sign. I didn't expect my two-year-old rig to blast through such a recent title, but console-level performance bummed me out. Weirdly, even changing all settings to a mix of low and medium didn't provide much of a boost - performance went up to the 35-40 fps range, and that was it.

Selecting 1440p as the render resolution (scaling to 4K) improved performance by quite a bit, but not as much as I expected. There are still very frequent dips to around 50-55 fps, even with no MSAA. I'm using RTSS's Scanline Sync function with Nvidia's Fast Sync to minimize stutters.

I hope that Dictator can confirm my findings regarding DX11 and 12, especially for non RTX cards. If it weren't for him, I would've never tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider in DX12, as literally all other games performed better running in the DX11 API. Control doesn't seem to be another exception to the rule, but I haven't tested it in DX12 enough to say that for certain. It would be nice to have confirmation from the experts.

Performance is pretty bad on my 1080ti at 1440p. Settings are set on highest apart from shadows (medium) and volumetrics (low). Frame rate is anywhere between 60 and 80.

I can gain frames back by setting rendering resolution to 1080p but the game becomes very very grainy imo, so I would rather stick to native.

DX11 vs 12. From my limited comparison, there's not much difference in frame rate (1-2 FPS maybe). But one curios thing is that the CPU utilization is actually higher in DX12 which is odd since the whole point of DX12 is to reduce CPU overhead
Intuition. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is so far the first and only game that runs better and more stable on DX12 than on DX11. Any other game was hugely disappointing or didn't show any difference, performance or quality-wise, on my end (same for Quantum Break). So I just went with DX11 here. It also says, when you start the game, that DX11 is suitable for "most users".

There is only MSAA off, 2x or 4x available. But I think they still using some kind of proprietary anti-aliasing method, like in Quantum Break. Even when you turn off MSAA it's not that jagged as other games with no AA enabled.

Agreed on performance and DX11/12. As I stated above, let's hope that Alex will follow through with his testing!

Anyone got word on how it's handling w a 1080ti? Curious if i'll be able to do 4k60 with Medium settings/no RT.

Not possible on native res, only using a scaling solution (lower render resolution). See above for more details.

Another trend some games seem to go. I don't know why they would limit resolution selection. In Quantum Break you had to set your desktop resolution to desired numbers, then the game would allow that, too.

No idea, either, but it's a stupid decision.

Anyone has 1080Ti impressions?

See above.

I can't figure out why this game isn't detecting my controller at all. It's a DS4, I tried it by itself, and then I tried it with DS4Windows which usually works. Not sure what else to try.
Same problem here. They have options built into the settings for Xbox or Dualshock UI... but my DS4 doesn't work at all. Anyone else run into this issue and/or find a fix?
Uh oh, that's what I was going to use................

Wonder how widespread this is.

Same issue here. Had to add the game to Steam to get controllers working. See above for more details.

Also, aim assist doesn't seem to be working.

Not really a performance question, but is controller aim assist working on PC? I have it enabled in options and it doesn't seem to do shit. Is it supposed to be unnoticable?

I noticed that, too (see above). It's really hard to aim using a controller. It has to be a bug, and I hope that it's fixed soon.

RIvatuner is not detecting my game, and I want to see the fps counter. How can I get one?

Control has two EXEs, one for each DX API ("Control_DX11.exe" and "Control_DX12.exe"), both located in "Epic Games\Control". Make sure that you add the correct one to RTSS. Then, it should work with that software's default settings.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's rough.
I guess I'll wait and play this on the PS5

Well on the other hand you can get perfect frame times at high on 30 fps with RTSS/Nvidia Inspector so it's still better then consoles, but yeah it's better to wait for next gen if you can't stomach 30 fps and don't want to invest in a 2 grand PC to run this at 60 fps.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's more than just a fancy gimmick? Planning to buy a new PC and can't decide if I should get a Radeon 5700 XT or RTX 2070 Super. I'm playing on a 1080p screen.
RTX implementation varies greatly from game to game. For me personally, the nicest implementation of RTX so far is in Quake 2. I would still recommend RTX 2070 Super over 5700 XT because right now Nvidia offers more cool new features.

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm pretty sure when the game is paused the background is actually a picture. It snaps it when pausing. Can tell by looking at clock speed and GPU utilization it drops my clock speed down to like 450 megahertz and is only using a portion of that when paused. Compared to the ~1980mhz and 80% when playing.

When you unpause it rerenders everything and I think that is the freeze you're seeing

No doubt, this has to be true. My 2080ti sounds like a rocket ship landing and thrusters turning off when I go into the menu haha

Oct 25, 2017
For fun, I decided to see how my good ol GTX card handled RTX lighting and well...
23419.jpg

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game doesn't detect any controllers (XInput or DirectInput);
  • Workaround: adding the game to Steam and launching it through that software makes it possible to use controllers;
huh interesting. with Steam closed and task killed the game recognized my controller. using DS4windows

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
huh interesting. with Steam closed and task killed the game recognized my controller. using DS4windows

Just to clarify, you launched the game via Steam, then closed that program? Or did you launch the game directly and it instantly detected your controller?

If I launch Control directly (either by clicking the EXE or through EGS), no inputs from any controllers are registered. I have to use Steam no matter what.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm pretty sure when the game is paused the background is actually a picture. It snaps it when pausing. Can tell by looking at clock speed and GPU utilization it drops my clock speed down to like 450 megahertz and is only using a portion of that when paused. Compared to the ~1980mhz and 80% when playing.

When you unpause it rerenders everything and I think that is the freeze you're seeing
Makes sense. Graphic changes in the options aren't applied on pause screen -- only when you unpause the game.

Also: when you pause the game, alt+tab back out, tab back in again, run around and alt+tab back out again WITHOUT pausing the game first, you'll see the old pause screen when tabbing back in again.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to clarify, you launched the game via Steam, then closed that program? Or did you launch the game directly and it instantly detected your controller?

If I launch Control directly (either by clicking the EXE or through EGS), no inputs from any controllers are registered. I have to use Steam no matter what.
nope, no steam running, task closed. launched it from Epic and it instantly recognizes the controller and works

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I hope that Dictator can confirm my findings regarding DX11 and 12, especially for non RTX cards. If it weren't for him, I would've never tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider in DX12, as literally all other games performed better running in the DX11 API. Control doesn't seem to be another exception to the rule, but I haven't tested it in DX12 enough to say that for certain. It would be nice to have confirmation from the experts.
As an FYI - my first control video is much like my BFV, Q2 RTX, and Metro videos. I will not be doing normal graphics break down or anything and will not be testing DX11 vs. DX12 - there is not at all enough time. Especially on GTX cards, AMD cards, etc.

We live at the wire unforunately and that means prioritising the stories - here on PC that story is RT, what it does (this is very important), how that performs, and similar things.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

also: aim assist is working for me.
As an FYI - my first control video is much like my BFV, Q2 RTX, and Metro videos. I will not be doing normal graphics break down or anything and will not be testing DX11 vs. DX12 - there is not at all enough time. Especially on GTX cards, AMD cards, etc.

We live at the wire unforunately and that means prioritising the stories - here on PC that story is RT, what it does (this is very important), how that performs, and similar things.
can't wait! will any DLSS talk be included in the main RTX comparison you're doing, or will that all be a separate video?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Anybody with GTX 970? How is performance in 1080p (not in maximum settings, like on gamegpu site)?
I have a gtx980, and 1080p 60fps is off the table. I have to run it on all the lowest settings, with screen space and global reflections turned completely off, at 900p to hold 60 (some slight dips still)

Edit: with SSAO on, maybe turning it off wil yield better results.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
2080ti
7700k @ 4.5 ghz
4k 120hz monitor

Tried it a bit this morning, can't get 4k native at 60 fps on high present. I have to bump the render res down to 1440 to do that. Getting 75-90 fps that way.

RT is a no go for me so far, way too big of a hit to performance. It's only viable if I use a 1080p render res, which doesn't look great. For now I have RT disabled.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
can't wait! will any DLSS talk be included in the main RTX comparison you're doing, or will that all be a separate video?
Seperate video I think at this point - I will touch on it though briefly. We got this game good and early, but Gamescom meant us not at all working on it... until this week. That means we cannot go 100% in without taking too much time, and it also means prioritising what is important for all versions (DX11 vs. DX12 perf is decidedly less important than the elefants in the room).

As I see it though, DLSS is more interesting of a story in this title than DX11 vs. DX12. DLSS looks good in this game.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
If you're an RTX user, seems like you could disable Global Reflections, Screen Space Reflections, and SSAO as Ray Tracing does all of those things to a much greater level of quality, no?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm seeing things but I feel like the new drivers are giving me slightly worse performance than the previous one on my GTX1080

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seperate video I think at this point - I will touch on it though briefly. We got this game good and early, but Gamescom meant us not at all working on it... until this week. That means we cannot go 100% in without taking too much time, and it also means prioritising what is important for all versions (DX11 vs. DX12 perf is decidedly less important than the elefants in the room).

As I see it though, DLSS is more interesting of a story in this title than DX11 vs. DX12. DLSS looks good in this game.
yeah i'm really glad they sent us the review copies so early! especially the PC version because they had said they might have to delay the codes. i've had it for around two weeks and i still feel like i'm scratching the surface of some elements. started my second playthrough, it's just stunning stunning stunning on PC with RTX. anyway, love the work you guys do! really appreciate it :)

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
nope, no steam running, task closed. launched it from Epic and it instantly recognizes the controller and works
also: aim assist is working for me.

That's weird, there are at least three other people on this thread having issues with the game not detecting controllers (one of them is also using DS4Windows).

Aim assist not working is probably related to that. Maybe Steam acting as an overlay for controller support doesn't activate aim assist in-game, who knows?

Ah, that's a shame, but perfectly understandable, Alex.

From what I've read, DX11 does seem to perform better than DX12, as is the case with most games (SOTR being the notable exception).

However, some users are reporting longer loading times on DX11. I can't really tell, as I haven't really played much of the game in DX12, like I said before. Also, I have it installed on a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD, which pretty much negates loading times.

It would be interesting to know for sure. Perhaps other users can share their experiences?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's weird, there are at least three other people on this thread having issues with the game not detecting controllers (one of them is also using DS4Windows).

Aim assist not working is probably related to that. Maybe Steam acting as an overlay for controller support doesn't activate aim assist in-game, who knows?
i don't know if there's any possibility that my version being a review copy means it's a different build? that seems very very unlikely to me but i know the review copy is a separate (hidden) entry on EGS from the retail version. but yeah, just tried it again. no issue recognizing the controller (native DS4 doesn't work though, has to be running through DS4Windows) and no issue with aim assist either. steam completely closed, task dead, checked task manager and no traces of steam

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I noticed i'm getting some stuttering and long loading times in DX11 mode the first conversation with the janitor allrdy hangs 1 or 2 times for a second, DX12 mode is completely fine though very quick loading and absolutely no stutter really weird.
PC is a 6900k with a 1070 TI.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
i don't know if there's any possibility that my version being a review copy means it's a different build? that seems very very unlikely to me but i know the review copy is a separate (hidden) entry on EGS from the retail version. but yeah, just tried it again. no issue recognizing the controller (native DS4 doesn't work though, has to be running through DS4Windows) and no issue with aim assist either. steam completely closed, task dead, checked task manager and no traces of steam

Could be. What's your game's version? Mine's 1.02.01. To check, just click on the gear icon underneath the game's box, in the EGS launcher.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
I have a gtx980, and 1080p 60fps is off the table. I have to run it on all the lowest settings, with screen space and global reflections turned completely off, at 900p to hold 60 (some slight dips still)

Edit: with SSAO on, maybe turning it off wil yield better results.
Nah, i refuse to disable effects that are available in console versions. Maybe its better to lock fps to 30 (when game hits Steam, of course)

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Nah, i refuse to disable effects that are available in console versions. Maybe its better to lock fps to 30 (when game hits Steam, of course)
Yeah it's a shame, it feels great at 60fps but to achieve that you really significantly alter the look of the game. I'm thinkin of locking to 30 as well.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
2080 here,performance overall is 1440p/60fps and 4k/30fps with max settings and rtx turned off.
~3 extra frames without v-sync but ehh.
I didn't notice any difference at 4k with msaa turned off,a little boost in perf as well.
I'll try rtx later,but perf is ok for a first try i guess.
It ran at 4k/60fps when you go to the tutorial area(when you pick up the handgun) but when i come back to the building is 30+ again.
I don't think i'll keep tinkering with the settings,i wanna start playing properly when i get back home.
Minor nitpick is that there's no 'walk' toggle with kb,i need that atmospheric/cinematic walking haha.