• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
1440p ultrawide is less than 1440p 16:9 right? Resolution wise.

Nope. You're thinking of ultrawide 1080p. Ultrawide 1440p has a resolution of 3440x1440 so it's actually drawing more pixels than a regular 1440p monitor but not as many as a 4k monitor. So the aspect rato comes out to be 21:9.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Nope. You're thinking of ultrawide 1080p. Ultrawide 1440p has a resolution of 3440x1440 so it's actually drawing more pixels than a regular 1440p monitor but not as many as a 4k monitor.
For some dumb reason I was thinking 1440 was the horizontal resolution like with 4K.

Did you check the rendering resolution? It defaulted to below native for me. I'm wondering if that explains what you're seeing.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
For some dumb reason I was thinking 1440 was the horizontal resolution like with 4K.

Did you check the rendering resolution? It defaulted to below native for me. I'm wondering if that explains what you're seeing.
I have DLSS turned off and MSAA at x4 so I'm actually unable to even select the render resolution. If I recall MSAA is sharper and more demanding than the DLSS tech? Even with it on it renders at 2293x960 (the highest I can choose) and I'm getting roughly the same performance.

Rams

Dec 13, 2017
Guessing you have DLSS at 1080p (which are then scaled to your 1440p screen). Cannot see how you are getting 90 fps with DLSS at native 1440p and then supersampling. . Have the same setup

The DLSS render resolution is not something you can change. When DLSS is disabled, you can choose which resolution the game upscales from.

So... Yeah. I have a 1440p screen, have the game resolution set to 1440, and have enabled DLSS. This forces the render resolution to 960p and softens the image a fair bit. I then use the new sharpening filter to compensate for that. Works really well with 75fps being the lowest I've hit so far, but I've still not reached any heavy action.

Oct 25, 2017
Choosing a lower than native Rendering Resolution in the game means that the engine handles the upscaling, right? Nvidia's Integer scaling would have no effect on it, is that correct?

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
The DLSS render resolution is not something you can change. When DLSS is disabled, you can choose which resolution the game upscales from.

So... Yeah. I have a 1440p screen, have the game resolution set to 1440, and have enabled DLSS. This forces the render resolution to 960p and softens the image a fair bit. I then use the new sharpening filter to compensate for that. Works really well with 75fps being the lowest I've hit so far, but I've still not reached any heavy action.

Now I understand your high frame rates. The 960p explains it. I also have the game but have a 4k oled screen and I can choose between DLSS 1080p and 1440p. DLSS 1080p give me over 60 fps 95 percent of the time on my 2080 ti everything maxed

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Wow, this game is truly amazing.
And the new sharpening filter (which I discovered 1 hour ago, my bad) is really something.

Rams

Dec 13, 2017

Looks like I'm going to have to correct myself. You actually can choose between 720p and 960p render resolution with DLSS enabled. I could have SWORN it greyed out earlier when I toggled DLSS on. Weird.

Anyway, I am using 960p and the numbers I posted apply at that setting.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Now I understand your high frame rates. The 960p explains it. I also have the game but have a 4k oled screen and I can choose between DLSS 1080p and 1440p. DLSS 1080p give me over 60 fps 95 percent of the time on my 2080 ti everything maxed
That's the key for 60fps, same here.
4k and 1080p resolution (obviously RT on and everything @ max settings)
Too bad HDR is missing.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
In case you didn't notice, the person you responded wasnt me (the original poster asking about the framerate) I'm not using DLSS, I'm using MSAA x4 and still hitting upwards of 90FPS consistently with everything maxed. I'm not sure if this is an anomaly or if I just need to get further for more effects to kick in. I just got the gun and the area with the tutorial actually hit over 120FPS at times.

It looks gorgeous but it's absolutely not in line with what I'm seeing others say so something feels off about my situation.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean what did you expect. Game is running on updated Quantum Break Engine and we know how QB run on PC. What they set to achieve with that engine makes games demanding.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Runs much better for me than Quantum Break on my rig(QB Win10 version always gave awful stuttering for some reason, whether on max or low settings. Always wondered if other store versions fared better?)

2070 Super
i9900k (stock clock setting for now)
16gb RAM 3200mhz

Pretty much have the game maxed out entirely with DTSS on, every RTX setting on, High auto-setting basically, 3400x1440p Ultrawide. Seems to stay pretty close to 60fps, if not above. Only notice slight dips or stutters in heavy encounters so far. But its slight. Also only like an hour in so far, so things could get worse later.

I loaded up QB again after and keep wondering wtf is going on with that one. (Also, this game feels like a proper Sam Lake game whereas Quantum Break was...well it didn't)

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what did you expect. Game is running on updated Quantum Break Engine and we know how QB run on PC. What they set to achieve with that engine makes games demanding.
Yeah, I don't mind that, I'm more curious about what to do to achieve 60 than anything. Also curious to see if their upscaling method is similar to the reconstruction used in previous titles or if it's a more standard upscaling this time around. If it's reconstructing, it may end up being better to use the internal 720p Rendering Resolution than just using a custom resolution between 720p and 1080p.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up there is no walk button when using mouse and keyboard so your stuck constantly sprinting no matter what. Fuck, its one of my biggest gripes too, hate when developers forget to implement it especially when you can walk when plugging a pad in.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
This whole DLSS technique is so alien to me. How can a rendered 1080p image DLSS'ed to 4K look better than native 4K?? Crazy.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting really slow dl speed, its like 300kb/s. Havent had an issue downloading other Epic games but this is bad :(

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up there is no walk button when using mouse and keyboard so your stuck constantly sprinting no matter what. Fuck, its one of my biggest gripes too, hate when developers forget to implement it especially when you can walk when plugging a pad in.
Is there no button to toggle between walk and run? Like Caps Lock?

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
anyone else getting some really bad hitching? Game runs fine for me (i9 9900k, 2080 Ti), but sometimes frametimes spike up and the game stutters

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
In case you didn't notice, the person you responded wasnt me (the original poster asking about the framerate) I'm not using DLSS, I'm using MSAA x4 and still hitting upwards of 90FPS consistently with everything maxed. I'm not sure if this is an anomaly or if I just need to get further for more effects to kick in. I just got the gun and the area with the tutorial actually hit over 120FPS at times.

It looks gorgeous but it's absolutely not in line with what I'm seeing others say so something feels off about my situation.
Grab a screenshot of your settings screen if you can. RTX High alone at native superwide 1440p should be throttling you well below 90 in that hallway.

It looks less than native, but I have no idea if that's normal or not. Quantum Break looked very similar.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting mixed signals, what's the general performance people are encountering with a 2080ti at 4k native with RTX off? And can the 2080ti hold 60fps at 1080p native with RTX on?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Grab a screenshot of your settings screen if you can. RTX High alone at native superwide 1440p should be throttling you well below 90 in that hallway.

It looks less than native, but I have no idea if that's normal or not. Quantum Break looked very similar.
wlHGXU0.png

wSYP0Z4.png

Also maybe this is relevant or not, but if there is a new Game Ready driver from Nvidia, I have not installed it yet as I was unaware of it before playing.

Edit: Odd, it must have auto switched over to DLSS when I turned on Borderless Fullscreen to take the screengrabs, but I can assure it was off before I did.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
It's running great on my RTX 2060 Super and a i7 2600k at maximum settings but I'm unfortunately using Win 7 until my new motherboard arrives and I can use my Ryzen 5 3600 with a fresh Win 10 install.

So obviously I'm using DX11 but I'm getting these really weird glitches when Global Reflections are turned on.

First pic on the left is with them turned on, pic on the right is off.

There's also a weird halo-like artifact around Jesse.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
You've got DLSS on, so yeah. It's less than native. Check out the stair stepping on these vertical edges. They're definitely upscaled.

njqv6yzbyj6e.jpg
I'm not sure if you saw my edit, but it was off prior to taking the screengrab. It switched on which I switched to Borderless Fullscreen to make a screengrab (since Fraps won't work with DX12 it seems). Though since you point out the upscaling in the screenshot, maybe it was on and not showing up properly? I'm not sure. I'm rebooting the game after installing the game ready drivers and seeing if anything changes.

Even if that were the case, isn't getting over 90FPS still strange? I heard before about people struggling to even barely hit 50-60 range with these settings.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
any point in playing this without ray-tracing?...I have a GTX 1070 and am wondering whether to buy this now or wait till I buy an actual RTX card

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting mixed signals, what's the general performance people are encountering with a 2080ti at 4k native with RTX off? And can the 2080ti hold 60fps at 1080p native with RTX on?

4K high settings with RTX OFF: fps from high 40s to 60, but usually around 50fps.
4K high settings with RTX ON with 1080p rendering: between 75 and 85fps.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
Anyone got word on how it's handling w a 1080ti? Curious if i'll be able to do 4k60 with Medium settings/no RT.

plagiarize

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm not sure if you saw my edit, but it was off prior to taking the screengrab. It switched on which I switched to Borderless Fullscreen to make a screengrab (since Fraps won't work with DX12 it seems). Though since you point out the upscaling in the screenshot, maybe it was on and not showing up properly? I'm not sure. I'm rebooting the game after installing the game ready drivers and seeing if anything changes.

Even if that were the case, isn't getting over 90FPS still strange? I heard before about people struggling to even barely hit 50-60 range with these settings.
I've not had nearly enough time looking at the game to know if that scaling is normal or not. Quantum Break rendered sub native and blended frames together by default and the IQ was very similar to whats in your screenshot, so it could just be something to do with how Northlight works. But given your performance seems out of line for similar setups and Nvidias performance guide, I'm guessing you aren't running at 1440p native.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
At least, I don't think the transparent reflections (of the windows to the right of the flag) in this shot are cube maps.
With RT Off and on consoles, the game interestingly, the game does not use cubemaps, but something much more modern and, IMO, better.
I've not had nearly enough time looking at the game to know if that scaling is normal or not. Quantum Break rendered sub native and blended frames together by default and the IQ was very similar to whats in your screenshot, so it could just be something to do with how Northlight works. But given your performance seems out of line for similar setups and Nvidias performance guide, I'm guessing you aren't running at 1440p native.

The game renders internally at the resolution you set for "rendering resolution" - it then does temporal upscale as I have seen to your output resolution. DLSS is basically an "alternative" reconstruction technique they offer to bring that internal resolution up to the output resolution.

DLSS looks decidedly better than the image with it off as I see it.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Loving it so far.

Ryzen 3700x
EVGA 2080ti
32GB RAM

1440p everything maxed 45-70fps on Predator monitor @120 refresh rate and using g-sync. Game is fluid, no issues.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'll keep tinkering with it and report back then. When I boot the game back up it had DLSS on again, so I'm not sure if the game is just having a hell of a time trying to save my graphical settings properly.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Curious if i'll be able to do 4k60 with Medium settings/no RT.
Not going to happen. Most probably. Given the performance surplus over a GTX 1070 (I run) it's not enough for 60fps at 4k. My guess is 45-50fps.

There isn't even an option available to toggle walk/run settings in the menu . i've experienced the same issue in multiple games and the only one to patch it in was The Evil Within : \
Another reason why I just stick to a controller even on PC and with shooters :/

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
I'm waffling on pulling the trigger on this because of how ancient my system is: i5 2500k @ stock, Radeon hd 7970, 16gb ddr3.. anyone think it'd be worth it or would I be better off waiting for a system upgrade down the road? Ideally I'd like 1080/60 or 1080/30 with setting adjustments.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not up on all the lingo but game looks sweet on my rtx 2060 laptop but I dont have the ray tracing stuff on.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
Does this has the same upscaling that Quantum Break had? Or the res you select is native?

You mean the re-construction tech. It does (you can easily notice the re-construction artifacts on the main character while moving quickly the camera). However, the tech is way better than the one used in Quantum Break.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
So, initial impressions from oc'd 3770k (4.7Ghz) and oc'd 1070 (faster than stock 1070Ti):

- 1080p 60 fps is 99% guaranteed if you turn down Volumetric lighting.
- At 1440p youll be sitting at 45 fps (with volumetric turned down)
- Internal double buffering is stupid and outdated. Nvidia panel does not override (unsure why as the latest drivers are meant to be for Control). If you drop too much - game will go down to 30 fps.
- MSAA does not have such a penalty like other games - its better to leave it on for 1080p to 1440p
- Game does not pick up custom resolutions ( fucks sake.. )
- Internal Vsync is kinda broken, i noticed a lot of nasty frame drops in corners whilst they were gone when vsync was off. Luckily NV panel can override this.

I honestly dont see how this game is so demanding at 1080p, there are a ton of games that provide a cleaner/better image and dont require that much horsepower.