• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Yeah guys, let's go!

Anyone playing @ 4K ultra settings with the highest RTX settings as well? What fps do you get??

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Won't get to play until tonight, but my 2080 Ti and 4K gsync monitor is ready to ensure my older CPU isn't the bottleneck.

May even end up playing this thing at 1080p with integer scaling if needs must... But I need those rays traced.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah guys, let's go!

Anyone playing @ 4K ultra settings with the highest RTX settings as well? What fps do you get??

Everything on max settings with max RTX without DLSS, I get around 30fps.
If I enable DLSS, I get between 50 and 60. Very playable with Freesync/Gsync.
If you want a locked 60fps you can disable RTX indirect diffuse lighting and gain around 10 more fps.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I'm getting a consistent 55-65 FPS maxed out, x2 MSAA and no DLSS. 2080ti with a 9900k. 1440p.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the cpu I have. Guess I'll get it for my Xbox One X
No need to.

y0tI8Vp.png

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I kind of don't understand what DLSS does. I have a 1080p display but I usually downscale from 1440p. Should I be using DLSS on top of that? I know that it renders the game in a lower resolution but what is the point of that? Can't I just, well, lower the resolution on my own? What does DLSS add to the overall graphical fidelity?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Well, it's not too bad now. You can run it in 1440p/60 with, or 1080p/60 without reconstruction.
I just replayed it a few days ago.
i have the windows store version, maybe the steam version is better optimized?
quantum was the only game that i was forced to play at 30 fps on pc, the only one...

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
While I'm at work today I'm just going to pretend my 2070 will be able to handle 1440p/RTX on at a playable framerate.

AndyBNV

NVIDIA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I kind of don't understand what DLSS does. I have a 1080p display but I usually downscale from 1440p. Should I be using DLSS on top of that? I know that it renders the game in a lower resolution but what is the point of that? Can't I just, well, lower the resolution on my own? What does DLSS add to the overall graphical fidelity?

DLSS has more detail, and looks better (IMO) in motion than the standard Resolution Scaling option. Our guide will be live within the hour with comparisons and performance charts.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of don't understand what DLSS does. I have a 1080p display but I usually downscale from 1440p. Should I be using DLSS on top of that? I know that it renders the game in a lower resolultion but what is the point of that? Can't I just, well, lower the resolution on my own? What does DLSS add to the overall graphical fidelity?

DLSS is an AI driven super sampling. You can render a game at 1080p (or lower) natively and have the DLSS super sampling try and make the game appear as a higher resolution. Think of checkerboard rendering on consoles. It doesn't work nearly the same way, at all, but it is a hardware accelerated technique just like it.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Need info on oc'd 3770k and oc'd 1070Ti.

- Can i get close to 1440p 60?
- Is ray tracing possible at 1080p 30 ( turning off some settings ofc )
- How good does NV's new image sharpening technique work?

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Dlss will render at a lower resolution but use machine learning to fill in some of the missing details in each frame. It's supposed to be a performance gain with a minimal loss in graphical fidelity despite rendering at a lower resolution. In practice I haven't been too impressed, although I've heard the higher your base resolution the better it works. Its not necessarily geared toward 1080p as far as I know, although it does work.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Game has a weird grainy look even with Film Grain turned off, and the motion blue needs a toggle.

Oct 25, 2017
DLSS has more detail, and looks better (IMO) in motion than the standard Resolution Scaling option. Our guide will be live within the hour with comparisons and performance charts.
Nice! Thank you!

I'm seeing some 1060 videos popping up already on youtube, but people insist on using max settings, which comes with 4xMSAA. I'd never expect a 1060 to handle this game with 4xMSAA, I just want to know if 60fps is possible at all and which settings/resolution I need. How it runs with everything maxed out is good for comparing with other GPUs, but kind of useless in terms of actual performance expectations.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
If you want to get more performance your first options should be Screen Space Reflections and Volumetric Lights. As in many modern games, especially Quantum Break, those settings cost and could gain huge performance steps.

If you have a GTX 1070 and aim for 1080p at 60FPS you should set at least one of those to medium, preferable Volumetric Lights since the difference is smaller than going from SSR high to medium. If you aim for 1440p at 30fps (GTX 1070) you could leave both at high since fps are around 45 with both on medium.

MSAA comes with a very small performance hit (I have MFAA activated in the NVCP), around 3-5%, so I would leave it on 2x.

Here are comparison screenshots:

Everything maxed out, 2xMSAA, no RTX, 1080p
iRNtM2.jpg

Volumetric lights on medium, rest maxed out, 2xMSAA, no RTX, 1080p
iRNrd9.jpg

As above but Screen Space Reflections on medium
iRN1av.jpg

Everything maxed out, 1440p internal, 2xMSAA
iRNEl5.jpg

Volumetric lights and SSR on medium, 2xMSAA, 2160p internal
iRNT6C.jpg

System: i5 4690k, GTX 1070 (slight OC, Clock and RAM speed +180Mhz), 16GB DDR3 RAM. Installed on SSD.

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Performance is pretty bad on my 1080ti at 1440p. Settings are set on highest apart from shadows (medium) and volumetrics (low). Frame rate is anywhere between 60 and 80.

I can gain frames back by setting rendering resolution to 1080p but the game becomes very very grainy imo, so I would rather stick to native.

DX11 vs 12. From my limited comparison, there's not much difference in frame rate (1-2 FPS maybe). But one curios thing is that the CPU utilization is actually higher in DX12 which is odd since the whole point of DX12 is to reduce CPU overhead
im sorry but if it is still 60 fps+ its not bad unless the reductions from 80 to 60 are seriously bad.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'm really interested in this game but I think I'm just gonna wait for the 3080 Ti so I can do it justice.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
If you want to get more performance your first options should be Screen Space Reflections and Volumetric Lights. As in many modern games, especially Quantum Break, those settings cost and could gain huge performance steps.

If you have a GTX 1070 and aim for 1080p at 60FPS you should set at least one of those to medium, preferable Volumetric Lights since the difference is smaller than going from SSR high to medium. If you aim for 1440p at 30fps (GTX 1070) you could leave both at high since fps are around 45 with both on medium.

MSAA comes with a very small performance hit (I have MFAA activated in the NVCP), around 3-5%, so I would leave it on 2x.

Much appreciated mate , a few more questions:

- Why aren''t you using DX12?
- Have you tried any other AA techniques apart from MSAA? If it's even possible..(SMAA?)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if there's any meaningful differences between Direct X 11 and 12 for non-RTX users in this?

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
i hope this is the case with control too.

Windows Store uses UWP instead of normal executables, which is probably why there is a performance difference in Quantum Break. Control will use normal executables on both Epic and Steam, so there should be no noticeable difference between versions when it eventually comes to Steam.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Won't get to play until tonight, but my 2080 Ti and 4K gsync monitor is ready to ensure my older CPU isn't the bottleneck.

May even end up playing this thing at 1080p with integer scaling if needs must... But I need those rays traced.

You might want to try Nvidia's new freestyle sharpening filter with a 1440p output (assuming Control is supported out of the box). I've been playing older games with that feature on and it's really impressive, especially when native 4K look soft anyway because of TAA.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4790k and a 2080 TI. Since I'm on a 1080p display I'm planning on planning on downsampling from 2880x1620 using the high preset/RTX medium. I'm hoping that can hold 60 FPS for the majority of the time. I'm a little hesitant to give DLSS a shot since downsampled PS4 games that used checkboard rendering didn't look great to me.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Much appreciated mate , a few more questions:

- Why aren''t you using DX12?
- Have you tried any other AA techniques apart from MSAA? If it's even possible..(SMAA?)
Intuition. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is so far the first and only game that runs better and more stable on DX12 than on DX11. Any other game was hugely disappointing or didn't show any difference, performance or quality-wise, on my end (same for Quantum Break). So I just went with DX11 here. It also says, when you start the game, that DX11 is suitable for "most users".

There is only MSAA off, 2x or 4x available. But I think they still using some kind of proprietary anti-aliasing method, like in Quantum Break. Even when you turn off MSAA it's not that jagged as other games with no AA enabled.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm getting a consistent 55-65 FPS maxed out, x2 MSAA and no DLSS. 2080ti with a 9900k. 1440p.
This is good news. I may only have to tweak a few things from maxed out or maybe some DLSS tinkering to get it to run at 60fps at 3440x1440 (21:9) on the exact same hardware as you (2080ti & 9900k)

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Here's the NVIDIA Graphics and Performance Guide for Control: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/control-graphics-and-performance-guide/

The new Control driver mentioned at the end will begin hitting our servers in about 25 mins.
The GOAT of all guides. Thank you for your work! Now I don't have to turn off setting for setting to see how much performance dips.

What Remedy did with RT is really impressive, especially from a performance perspective. Sure, if you activate it all you get the usual roughly 50% FPS hit, but if you pick and choose the hit is really not big at all.

Last edited:

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Running pretty decent on my i5 3570K and 1060 at 1080p ultrawide. Had to turn off screen space reflections and decrease volume light to maintain a stable 60fps though.

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017