• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this game yesterday thanks to that sale on the epic store (and man what a great game to test my first desktop on, have an i9-9900kf and 2080 super) and man does everything look gorgeous/fun to break stuff all apart.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Had this on 1X at launch but returned it because the performance was trash. Bought it on EGS a few days ago and having a much better time, it really is a night and day experience if you have a high end videocard. Too bad I just played half the game without the dash ability because I missed that side mission which literally took one minute to complete.

The one thing I'm hating is how many documents there are to read, it's a bit ridiculous. Is there an external site where I can read them all on an iPad?

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Picked this up on sale a few days ago and I can't believe I'm LTTP on this one.

It's like conspiracy nirvana meets Psi-ops. I love it.

I finished the main quest lines and am now achievement hunting. Bring on the DLC / sequels because I'm in on whatever is next in this series.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks great and runs like a gem on my 1080 Ti (near-max settings at 1080p). Thanks to whatever Remedy's in-house temporal reconstruction technique is, 1080p is almost indistinguishable from 1440p. However, there's a weird issue with the game: shimmering. Everything shimmers, from metals to transparencies on textures (metal grates, fencing, etc). Bumping the res up didn't do much to quell this. Is there any way to reduce shimmering?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Game looks great and runs like a gem on my 1080 Ti (near-max settings at 1080p). Thanks to whatever Remedy's in-house temporal reconstruction technique is, 1080p is almost indistinguishable from 1440p. However, there's a weird issue with the game: shimmering. Everything shimmers, from metals to transparencies on textures (metal grates, fencing, etc). Bumping the res up didn't do much to quell this. Is there any way to reduce shimmering?

It's the screen space reflections. Would turn it off.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, now that esseJ optional boss fight is what I'm talking about. Little short, but that stuff is fun. No falling through the floor to your death. 🤣

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
foundation_programmatic_01.jpg

I just love the environs of The Foundation, different colour palette with the white and red. It's a different dynamic when you have melee enemies rushing you AND snipers far away, forcing you to fly and they can still throw their weapons at you. I wished Create as a power was more dynamic than just limited spots of rock wall cover and spike traps. Would have been amazing to create those anywhere!
Nice to see more of
Marshall in the hotline even if doesn't turn out well

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this crash error crop up a few times while playing. In particular, this room in Containment never fails to result in this error. The visuals freeze and audio continues to play, but the game otherwise stops dead. Clicking "Break" closes the game.

I've been able to easily replicate the error in this room, since it always happens here, but I've also had it happen in other less notable parts of the game. I've tried booting the game in DX12 mode (I play in DX11), turning down graphics settings (my rig is powerful enough to get 80-90FPS at near-max settings, so I don't think it's performance related), doing a clean driver reinstall, and trying new drivers. So far, nothing.

eWaNjAL.jpg

lemonade

May 8, 2018
So for the foundation DLC, is it worth retreading the two areas after unlocking the second ability?

Are there any really good loot?

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this crash error crop up a few times while playing. In particular, this room in Containment never fails to result in this error. The visuals freeze and audio continues to play, but the game otherwise stops dead. Clicking "Break" closes the game.

I've been able to easily replicate the error in this room, since it always happens here, but I've also had it happen in other less notable parts of the game. I've tried booting the game in DX12 mode (I play in DX11), turning down graphics settings (my rig is powerful enough to get 80-90FPS at near-max settings, so I don't think it's performance related), doing a clean driver reinstall, and trying new drivers. So far, nothing.

eWaNjAL.jpg

Was waiting to see if anyone else that had this error would chime in first since I haven't so this is just a guess, but do you have an overclock on your GPU/system? I'd try that first. Next I'd disable any overlay or benchmark software (MSI afterburner, RTSS, is it added as non-steam game going through that, etc) and try that. Just trial and error type stuff.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Was waiting to see if anyone else that had this error would chime in first since I haven't so this is just a guess, but do you have an overclock on your GPU/system? I'd try that first. Next I'd disable any overlay or benchmark software (MSI afterburner, RTSS, is it added as non-steam game going through that, etc) and try that. Just trial and error type stuff.
Running exclusively through EGS, tried running without MSI Afterburner, still got the crash.

I still had one other lockup after that, but I found as long as I didn't enter that specific room, I wouldn't experience that specific error code on CTD. I was actually able to finish the game without any other crashes I could replicate.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the main story at a little over 28 hours, so a pretty beefy game, but I did try and read up most of the items I found, and spent time just wandering around. Believe I have 1 optional boss to do, plus hunt down some mold, then I'll start up the DLC in a day or two.

Love the story, setting/style, feeling, mystery, destructible environment, audio, all the little films and audio you can find in the world, and several of the characters. Combat is pretty good, better once you get all your tools, with a few of the boss fights being kinda annoying (I hate falling deaths on boss fights), and others being fun. Types of enemies felt a little lacking, and some of the guns and powers just seemed better than the others by a lot, but I'm sure they are all usable.

End stuff
The false end where you have to perform the tedious tasks to advance the story reminded me of the tutorial in Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. In Blood Dragon, they take something you need to get out of the way and try to add humor to it, and in this game they use this time for story reasons...to show, or make you (Jesse) realize you're trapped and this isn't right, but...you still have to do the tedious thing, so it's still bad. Everything was building and building...and I just hated to see it slow down the a crawl like that. Like the game was getting in its own way. Pretty minor complaint overall, but everything around that was HYPE. I wouldn't have minded a cutscene there, rather than having to click F a ton of times.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
I love the world building in the setting but I found that given all the variety of possible antagonists that the gameplay was kind of meh and mostly boiled down to shooting at waves of mostly humanoid enemies. It's not a deal-breaker by any means. I still love the game I just think that it could have used more variety.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the DLC. Not as good as the main game. Feels a bit too samey, could have used more environments. There is only one new enemy type and it's like the lamest enemy type they could come up with ... a guy swinging an axe and charging you in melee. The new ability isn't great as well and there is no new weapon. It gets better towards the end with a good boss fight. But the ending is a bit abrupt and the story feels even more weird/nonsensical than in the main game. It's a 7/10 DLC for a 9/10 game. Worth the 5€ it currently costs if you just want more control. The fighting is fun as ever.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Got this on the EGS sale. Wonderful game so far. Great combat mechanics and atmosphere. Main nit: remedy's usual terrible writing, which illustrates itself the most in those video monologues. I feel I'm back experiencing the worst part of Alan wake.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got it on XBO a week or so ago, loving it. I just found
Dylan
. How far in am I? Wanna share some more thoughts soon, but I'm so engrossed! The fight against
Former
was kind of a bitch, too, but boss fights in general have been a bit underwhelming.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got to play through The Foundation. It's a neat little DLC--nothing too substantial, but as someone who loved Control's lore, I did quite enjoy it. It really did make me miss Control's world so I'm looking forward to their next piece of DLC.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the Foundation DLC and what a reminder of how much I enjoyed the base game, loved the new altered item quests especially the film camera. Looking forward to the next bit of DLC!

Last edited:

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I've had the season pass since launch, but haven't played the game since I platinumed it (before the first big patch).

I'm trying Expeditions for the first time, and what a waste of fucking time that is. On the lowest tier I've had three unsuccessful attempts from three, lost a third of my Source, and even if I was to successfully complete it, at this tier the rewards are all worse than all of the mods I already have. Why would anyone bother? It's like a deliberate punch in the dick.

My Pierce is still bugged too, great to see they haven't fixed that in the 9 months since launch lol.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What was all the fuss about with try Ashtray Maze? After all the hype I saw for it previously it ended up being very underwhelming.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Just got to the "Reach bottom of the Nail" Foundation mission and it's a good stopping point for tonight after playing a couple of hours. This game is fucking awesome. I still love the subtle uneasiness I get when I'm hopping around platforms in the astral plane.

Also I had gotten so used to having nVidia game filters on I forgot they were on and I was going into ansel and turned them off and was reminded how much this game benefits from some of the tweaks. It looks bland, flat and blurry without them. Such an improvement.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I'm not enjoying the DLC as much as the main game. I think a large part is probably that I've kind of forgotten how to play, and some of the encounters I've hit so far are pretty unforgiving (enemies kill you in like 2 hits).

I'll keep pushing through (working on the 2nd mcguffin now), but yeah it's a weird feeling to go back to something that you loved and not connect with it as much the second time around.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
For some reason I'm not enjoying the DLC as much as the main game. I think a large part is probably that I've kind of forgotten how to play, and some of the encounters I've hit so far are pretty unforgiving (enemies kill you in like 2 hits).

I'll keep pushing through (working on the 2nd mcguffin now), but yeah it's a weird feeling to go back to something that you loved and not connect with it as much the second time around.
I enjoyed Foundation, but I know what you mean. The atmosphere of the oldest house is a big part of the game, and the Foundation area just isn't as cool as the creepy, deserted FBC offices are. The new astral plane stuff was great though.

I was also annoyed that all of my gun and personal mods had been removed, and I couldn't remember what the setups that I'd previously spent the entire game tweaking were. As a result I spent most of the Foundation experimenting with shit just to try and get back to the same semblance of fun I'd had previously, when I'd found a setup that worked for my play style.

Some of the facial animation between Emily and Jesse at the nail was really weird too.

The movie camera boss was so much fun and a nice change of pace.
Yeah that bit was cool. Not mind blowing, but very well done and a nice change of pace like you say

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the DLC and it was good, or even very good. The boss fight was fun, the story/mystery interesting. I thought it was a good touch that Jesse was really becoming cocky after stopping the Hiss and becoming The Director in full, but she got knocked back down to reality. She/we're dealing with unknown or unknowable forces, and things aren't so simple. She was just clicking the buttons (following The Board's will) like you do in a game, but by the end, the point that you can't just trust The Board, or even the way the Bureau has been operating, is brought back to the front, and her mistrust gives her more control over what will happen going forward.

Agree with what has been said, that the location was less enjoyable than the Oldest House proper. The verticality was nice, but it just seems like you've seen a thousand caves and shit in games. Also wish they'd just increase how many items you can hold or do something so you don't have to keep dissembling all the mods that drop. Some of the new modifiers look sweet, but I'm getting rank 3 drops of them...I already beat the game, what's the point? I finished the story and I'm done, why keep grinding for rank V and VI mods now?

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Foundation, but I know what you mean. The atmosphere of the oldest house is a big part of the game, and the Foundation area just isn't as cool as the creepy, deserted FBC offices are. The new astral plane stuff was great though.

I was also annoyed that all of my gun and personal mods had been removed, and I couldn't remember what the setups that I'd previously spent the entire game tweaking were. As a result I spent most of the Foundation experimenting with shit just to try and get back to the same semblance of fun I'd had previously, when I'd found a setup that worked for my play style.

Some of the facial animation between Emily and Jesse at the nail was really weird too.

Yeah that bit was cool. Not mind blowing, but very well done and a nice change of pace like you say
Took Tuesday night off, and then came back to it last night. I seem to be remembering how to play a little better finally. Beat the movie camera and now I'm 2/4 on the main mission. The part with getting the second power was pretty interesting.

I don't know if I'm a fan of the power choice thing. I like it from a story perspective, but I find it highly unlikely that I'm going to feel motivated to backtrack through the first two areas again to see what I missed the first time around.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
If anyone is interested I made a thread using the fridge in Control to illustrate why I think it's worldbuilding is so good:

www.resetera.com

A fridge's tale (and a Control thread)

Control might be my favorite game of this generation. It certainly feels my favorite game rather than simply a great game that I acknowledge its overwhelming quality. There are a few reasons for that, possibly a few more than a few. And I'd like to talk about one of them, or more precisely, a...

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
i just got to the Maze after getting the Pony walkman :p

i now have a bucnh of sidequets that read like cheklists and it sound suuuuuper unfun,

are any of them even worth doing?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game take place entirely in this building? I was thinking I'd get to go investigate weird stuff. Not fix one building multiple issues.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive been enjoying the game and I think im almost done BUT the combat is just okay. Alans and Quantums were way better. So many what i would consider "cheap deaths".

And the save system is garbage. Die... run ALLL the way back to where i was. Really great for boss/hard fights.

So what does all this Threshold stuff man for Alan Wake? So its not a Great Old One or something in the lake?

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, just finished the main game and Foundation. Spectacular atmosphere and just the right amount of intrigue and weirdness to keep me reading all files to better understand the world.

Getting one-shot/two-shot by something off camera is never fun; but a small setback to an otherwise versatile and empowering combat system.

Never played Alan Wake though I do have it on Steam. Is it still worth playing (love the lore of Control)?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, just finished the main game and Foundation. Spectacular atmosphere and just the right amount of intrigue and weirdness to keep me reading all files to better understand the world.

Getting one-shot/two-shot by something off camera is never fun; but a small setback to an otherwise versatile and empowering combat system.

Never played Alan Wake though I do have it on Steam. Is it still worth playing (love the lore of Control)?

Alan Wake is awesome, but don't expect a super powers fest like Control.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

Alan Wake is better than Control in my opinion. On PC it still holds hold extremely well outside of the textures/assets. The volumetric lighting/fog is still incredibly good looking and the foundation for all their modern games. Sound design is damn good too, it's still one of the most atmospheric games around today. Only real issue is that the gameplay is definitely dated and repetitive with very limited weapon arsenal.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
SPOILER
for a mid-game optional boss (a certain power is needed to even reach)

Is there a way to damage/defeat anchor without the launch ability? I didn't level it at all and being forced to use it don't seem to be doing any noticeable damage to anchor as soon as I've launched the 4 special clocks (which do good damage but don't respawn)

Oct 29, 2017
Alan Wake is awesome, but don't expect a super powers fest like Control.
Alan Wake is better than Control in my opinion. On PC it still holds hold extremely well outside of the textures/assets. The volumetric lighting/fog is still incredibly good looking and the foundation for all their modern games. Sound design is damn good too, it's still one of the most atmospheric games around today. Only real issue is that the gameplay is definitely dated and repetitive with very limited weapon arsenal.

Great thanks. It is next up then.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this last night. Just incredible. The ash tray maze was INCREDIBLE. Just a top moment in gaming. Still thinking about it.

Gotta do some of the side missions and get the DLC.