• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vmd12

Feb 18, 2020
What is you guys' in-game brightness setting? The default is 50 and it says adjust it so the middle icon is barely visible. On my c9 oled, 40 is when the middle icon completely disappears so I leave it at 41, but I feel like the game crushes black (evident during the loading screen of that spinning crystal thing. At brightness 41 the right half of the screen is too dark to see any details). Should I just ignore the instruction by not touching that brightness slider and leaving it at default 50?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the Foundation DLC tonight along with the side missions. I had a good time with it but I don't feel that it's necessarily essential unless you really love the game and the lore (which I do fortunately). The cave system/astral plane mixed environments got rather old quickly, but it was a short DLC so it was a nice change of pace I guess. Had it been any longer I think it would've really gotten boring.

I was surprised that the bosses didn't really give me much trouble considering there were a few in the base game that took me a while to beat. Swift Platform only took me two tries but I can totally see how people might struggle with it. It's a neat idea but not the best execution, especially since if you die you have to go all the way back through it again. Enjoyed the Found Footage mission too, that one was cool. The new abilities are kind of whatever and are really only usable within the expansion area for now. A lot of platforming too which I enjoyed (Astral Collision section was well done).

The story beats in the DLC are intriguing but more vague than the base game at times, and as other posters have said, it seems to be almost entirely set-up for AWE or a potential sequel/crossover. So yeah, it was a solid but somewhat underwhelming DLC as a whole. Glad I played it but I wouldn't be jumping to recommend the Foundation to a friend like I do with the base game unless they just want more to play. Looking forward to AWE and I'm hoping it has more to offer with more unique environments and gameplay than what Foundation had going on.

NRDLR

Jun 4, 2019
Update after buying this on sale last week. This game is incredible. I love the combat so much, and the mood/atmosphere is unlike any other game in recent memory. That being said, the game has crashed for me 4 times, and I'm about 10 hours in. The frame rate CHUGS in most boss fights or big group fights. A few times, the game has had serious input lag and I've died a few times because of loss of control in my controller.

Great game though, still glad I bought it and will likely play the DLC when done with the main campaign.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Has anyone been able to complete the islands in The Formation? 25 min is just not enough! First one on the left is hardest, then the Ruins with the three dead bodies, then the one vending machine, and then furnace is easiest. But can end up spending 10min on one. I've wasted so many jukebox tokens now. I'm just completing the objective as fast as possible i.e. activating the satellite dishes or checking the three dead bodies or throwing the Hiss objects into the furnace but it is a struggle to get enough time 🤷🏾‍♂️

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
EVbI6SbWsAA6z_o

Finally completed the Expedition, and even the loading tooltip tells to ignore enemies and just complete the objectives so I did and just ran around lol. Rewards don't seem worth it for all that effort, but if I can do this running routine on the higher tiers...

I was hoping I'd see Marshall at the end of this cause Arish hinted she's with the rangers at the Formation. Where is she?! One of the coolest characters...

Oct 25, 2017
EVbI6SbWsAA6z_o

Finally completed the Expedition, and even the loading tooltip tells to ignore enemies and just complete the objectives so I did and just ran around lol. Rewards don't seem worth it for all that effort, but if I can do this running routine on the higher tiers...

I was hoping I'd see Marshall at the end of this cause Arish hinted she's with the rangers at the Formation. Where is she?! One of the coolest characters...
The Foundation DLC gives you more time with Marshall and also makes it even clearer how much cooler she is than every other character in the game.

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
Any tips on how to beat Mold-1? I'm done with the main game and it's the only trophy I need to finish off the plat. No troubles with the other bosses but constantly getting my ass handed to me and is getting frustrating..

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Any tips on how to beat Mold-1? I'm done with the main game and it's the only trophy I need to finish off the plat. No troubles with the other bosses but constantly getting my ass handed to me and is getting frustrating..
I beat it first go just being very aggressive. I don't know if this is the best way, because it's the only way I ever tried, but it worked:

Spoiler tagged just in case the thumbnail might be considered a spoiler.

Oct 27, 2017
On my replay I had trouble because I forgot that you don't really have to do much to beat it. I was trying to move around and shit. Doing too much in that boss fight = dead.

I literally stand in one spot. Use the shield to block incoming smash attacks. Use shatter with a decent mod to attack the face, usually the one that increases the projectiles and reduces spread. Repeat until it's dead.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
I actually picked up Control over the Christmas holidays it was on the top of my backlog. Last weekend started it and on Friday I completed it. What an amazing ride from beginning to end, the thing about me is I grew up on X-Files and Fringe/Lost is extremely my jam so yeah this game was special.

Bandate

Nov 6, 2017
I beat it first go just being very aggressive. I don't know if this is the best way, because it's the only way I ever tried, but it worked:

Spoiler tagged just in case the thumbnail might be considered a spoiler.

On my replay I had trouble because I forgot that you don't really have to do much to beat it. I was trying to move around and shit. Doing too much in that boss fight = dead.

I literally stand in one spot. Use the shield to block incoming smash attacks. Use shatter with a decent mod to attack the face, usually the one that increases the projectiles and reduces spread. Repeat until it's dead.
Thanks! Appreciate the help and will give both a go. I'd try anything at this point!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
just started this game.....holy shit, the pull/throw power is so well done that it grabs whatever the fuck it wants even if nothing is there. It ensures you aren't freaking out about at least grabbing something.

I can't wait till the building/stuff gets even more crazy and wacky.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had a glitch where one of the OoP didn't fully clear, so I had to just jump into the void and try again. Was really quite weird, and now I'm paranoid it'll happen again.

Ah well, really getting into the groove of things otherwise. Amazing game so far.

oh and this is beside the point, but Control is the first time in 6 years that I actually wanted to read the world building documents. They're so goddamn good, and loaded with character, voice, and the perfect amount of absurd redactions.

Oct 25, 2017
I pulled an update for the game just now, and I think they nerfed the Third Act Villain boss fight. After giving up in frustration a week ago, I now beat it on the first go.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't want to mess with post-game progress so how do I access The Foundation? I have finished the game but it doesn't show up on mission select. I get no prompts for any more missions. But in my completed missions, Endgame doesn't show up. Does it have to? It says 29 completed missions, which includes Put A Record On (Expedition DLC). Do I need to load up Endgame from mission select and play it again, in hope that after completing it, The Foundation will show up?

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I booted up my finished game, and the mission simply popped up. Did you check if "The Foundation" is in your mission list and it simply wasn't prioritized?

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
So just started this game and am loving it, despite it being really hard if I don't go into a fight a certain way.

Also kind of disheartening it still runs poorly on a PS4 Pro.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Finished this on Sunday, overall I enjoyed it outside of some extremely frustrating boss fights, which removed vitally needed Source points early in the game, and the worst checkpointing I've seen in years. I'm a big fan of HoL/SCP stuff so the storytelling kept me going. Looked and played incredible on my PC, dat ray tracing tho.

I'll probably uninstall it and hope the season pass goes on sale eventually, and then play again when both episodes are released.

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I've played the first hour and half so far and this is INCREDIBLE. Everything Boit this is working for me.

I should pick up Alan Wake in my 360, shouldn't I?

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Our April update (version 1.10) is now LIVE across PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the Epic Games Store. See update notes below for more info on what to expect… Gameplay * Fixed the issue where the Golden Cube in the Astral Toilet is not respawned right away if Jesse throws it away * Fixed the issue where Marshall may disappear during the final boss fight in The Foundation * Fixed the issue where Hiss Barriers keep Jesse trapped inside the Pillar room in the Upper Warehouse * Fixed the issue where the Hotline message from Marshall "The Foundation" collectible is not collected if the player moves past it fast enough * Fixed the issue where Jesse was not invincible while Evading. You get those iFrames back! Please use responsibly. * Tweaked the difficulty of the Jesse Faden Starring in Swift Platform side mission to make it easier UI * Fixed the issue where the Astral Constructs menu has the wrong text for the Infinite tier weapon and personal mods General * Various localization fixes ICYMI – The Foundation expansion is live across PlayStation 4 and the Epic Games Store. Coming to Xbox One June 25, 2020.

controlgame.com

Control - Discover a World Unknown

After a secretive agency in New York is invaded by an otherworldly threat, you become the new Director struggling to regain Control

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this when it was on sale on psn. Was a bit worried about how it would perform on ps4 pro but the price was so cheap compared to pc, I jumped in.
Fantastic game so far. The atmosphere, the lore, the way fights play out as you make the most of your abilities etc.
Been a nice mix playing this and animal crossing of all things.

Quick question by the end of the game can you unlock most ability upgrades or do you have to choose specific paths?

Deleted member 22528

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I bought this when it was on sale on psn. Was a bit worried about how it would perform on ps4 pro but the price was so cheap compared to pc, I jumped in.
Fantastic game so far. The atmosphere, the lore, the way fights play out as you make the most of your abilities etc.
Been a nice mix playing this and animal crossing of all things.

Quick question by the end of the game can you unlock most ability upgrades or do you have to choose specific paths?

Base game platinumed, Foundation completed; I'm pretty sure the entire tree is maxed with one or two slots left. Don't have to choose paths. You'll have enough for everything. Just prioritize important things like launch damage and shield etc.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
This game is the bloody business!
I was worried how the setting of being in a single building would evolve. But they are nailing it and it has been very visually interesting.
Having a lot of fun just enjoying the scenery, collectables and abilities.

Just need to unlock more outfits! Though that is probably the influence of playing Animal Crossing at the same time.

My vibe on the game:
tenor.gif

Oct 30, 2017
beat The Foundation last night. By the first lock I was disappointed. Then by locks 2 and 3 I was feeling it, and then the end sealed the deal. Overall thumbs up, I would have trouble recommending at $15 though. $10 or $12 I could.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Having completed QB this week, is there any throwbacks of story relation at all to that?

I know this is tee'd up as a spiritual successor but with QB finishing open ended I wanted to see if there was anything references or nods at all to QB?

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Beating this game led me to replay
Alan Wake
for the first time since release. What a great game and universe Remedy have going here. Excited for what's next.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Started this game the other day via PS Now.

Hard to describe how I feel about it. Gameplay/combat wise it feels so polished and well made. But I also don't understand a fucking thing that is happening and as a result the game feels like a chore to play. Like a boring endless gauntlet with no progression. I'm hoping the story starts to make sense eventually.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 3 hours in or something but holy fucking shit this is a good game. Why did I wait so long to play it. Why.

Make sure to do lots of side missions. There are some power ups you can earn that make the gameplay way better. Was kicking myself for waiting for so long in some of then because they make the game even more fun.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Started this game the other day via PS Now.

Hard to describe how I feel about it. Gameplay/combat wise it feels so polished and well made. But I also don't understand a fucking thing that is happening and as a result the game feels like a chore to play. Like a boring endless gauntlet with no progression. I'm hoping the story starts to make sense eventually.
I'd say read the files/notes if you feel that way. It gives you a lot of context on why things are the way they are. I find the story/world really interesting actually but I've been looking like crazy for files and reading all of them.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say read the files/notes if you feel that way. It gives you a lot of context on why things are the way they are. I find the story/world really interesting actually but I've been looking like crazy for files and reading all of them.

I'm still not digging the story too much but I'm powering on anyway because the gameplay is good.

I just fought the (optional?) boss called Former and it was fucking hard. Took me like 8 attempts, and funnily enough my final attempt was perfect - zero damage taken.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not digging the story too much but I'm powering on anyway because the gameplay is good.

I just fought the (optional?) boss called Former and it was fucking hard. Took me like 8 attempts, and funnily enough my final attempt was perfect - zero damage taken.
Yea I recently fought that boss as well (though I only died once lol). I also really loved the story implications of it. And reading about the item and then seeing it in action... it feels so good to me to have these pay offs and not just hearing/reading about these things but actually seeing and interacting with them as well.

Like after the fight I took the time to look at the paintings on it as well, cause I knew the story and what they meant to the og owner. Though I get that these stuff might not be for everyone, but personally I'm loving them.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Damn I completely forgot there was expansions for this game, and I have the pass too lol

Good surprise, downloading now,gonna dive in expeditions and the foundation, this is a good way to enjoy my new c9 :)

Have the patches helped with performance? It was a bit iffy when I played the game at release

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Platinum'd the game and finished The Foundation.

Man, I can't put into words how much I love this game. From gameplay to story, lore and characters. I'm just loving everything about it. I have one more side quest left from The Foundation and then I gotta wait for AWE which has me really excited as well hahaha,

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Uh, so I played the game on Geforce Now a few days ago, and when I tried to play back on my PC I got an error saying my save was for the AWE expansion and I need to install that on my PC to continue. I *wish* AWE was in the Geforce Now version of the game, but I guess I can't continue playing Foundation locally until my PC version updates? Booo.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm enjoying this game a ton but man the check pointing system is killing me. Currently trying to stop the hiss getting Polaris but I keep dying, having to run all the way back and THEN have to start from the beginning

Super frustrated right now