• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
So I finished all missions. Yet I still need 11 more points to fully unlock everything. I've found at least 4 secret areas but I don't know what else I can do. I don't imagine there are 11 more secret areas, but maybe?
I did all the missions and used a guide for all the hidden areas and have 14 extra points with nothing to spend them on. 25 is a pretty big gap between our points. Seems like more than just hidden areas. You sure you found every mission? Should be 28 of them.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I did all the missions and used a guide for all the hidden areas and have 14 extra points with nothing to spend them on. 25 is a pretty big gap between our points. Seems like more than just hidden areas. You sure you found every mission? Should be 28 of them.

I did 27 of them, but I don't have any more to do.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Started this game on Xbox one x and I'm really liking it so far. Only slight annoyance is the texture pop-in when zooming with the left trigger on some signs etc. anyone else noticed this?

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this. Really enjoyed my time with it, as I did with all Remedy games.
Agreed that there are some seriously annoying checkpoint issues with bosses. LOOKING AT YOU ALTERED ITEM ANCHOR.
There was a bit of jank in some of the levitation animations and I feel it could have controlled better, but overall a really solid game.

Narrative: Is there a good analysis of what the most likely explanation is beyond the plot? The actual subtext of the sprawling lore?
Not looking at anything yet, my interpretation is:

I feel it is clear that this is all in her mind. Is Jesse fighting multiple personas inside her own psyche? Polaris? Bi-polar? Are Darling, Underhill "reminds me of my biology teacher" etc different aspects of her personality?
There was this weird stuff where Dylan ranted about both their names being non-gender specific, but that also was more of an intriguing one-liner and inconclusive? Is Dylan also an aspect of her personality?
Is Trench her father/father figure? Why is nostalgia from him letting the hiss in? Is the message one needs to take control over your own life/personality by shedding the old/nostalgia?
There was a thread about bullies in Ordinary doing ugly things to a third kid besides Jesse and Dylan but that kinda went nowhere. Who was that kid?

I think I read every clue the game has to offer and what is missing for me is a personal connection to that 60s/X-Files inspired secret US agency culture? What is Jesse's connection to it? I mean I get that the project/art director loves 60s exaggerated brutalism and Sam Lake is a huge X-Files/FBI fanboy probably, but what is it that gives this a direct connection to the protagonist? That connection is only there if you take the Bureau for real, but that goes against this all being in her head? Felt that was missing a connective tissue there between Jesse and why she chose the Bureau.
And what is with the motel and the Finnish janitor?
As intriguing as I found the slow unwrapping of the mystery box via Darling's tapes and other evidence I feel a bit like the game did not deliver on any kind of tangible explanation in the end. Not even your genre typical "multiple explanations are valid and it is up to the audience to pick one".
A bit like a dream where you are really convinced while sleeping that this is a good or interesting thing to dream and you should write down those ideas and when you wake up you realize none of it was all that great and it was more or less mumbo jumbo. Maybe that was the point?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017
Just finished this. Really enjoyed my time with it, as I did with all Remedy games.
Agreed that there are some seriously annoying checkpoint issues with bosses. LOOKING AT YOU ALTERED ITEM ANCHOR.
There was a bit of jank in some of the levitation animations and I feel it could have controlled better, but overall a really solid game.

Narrative: Is there a good analysis of what the most likely explanation is? The actual subtext of the sprawling lore?
Not looking at anything yet, my interpretation is:

I feel it is clear that this is all in her mind. Is Jesse fighting multiple personas inside her own psyche? Polaris? Bi-polar? Are Darling, Underhill "reminds me of my biology teacher" etc different aspects of her personality?
There was this weird stuff where Dylan ranted about both their names being non-gender specific, but that also was more of an intriguing one-liner and inconclusive? Is Dylan also an aspect of her personality?
Is Trench her father/father figure? Why is nostalgia from him letting the hiss in? Is the message one needs to take control over your own life/personality by shedding the old/nostalgia?
There was a thread about bullies in Ordinary doing ugly things to a third kid besides Jesse and Dylan but that kinda went nowhere. Who was that kid?

I think I read every clue the game has to offer and what is missing for me is a personal connection to that 60s/X-Files inspired secret US agency culture? What is Jesse's connection to it? I mean I get that the project/art director loves 60s exaggerated brutalism and Sam Lake is a huge X-Files/FBI fanboy probably, but what is it that gives this a direct connection to the protagonist? That connection is only there if you take the Bureau for real, but that goes against this all being in her head? Felt that was missing a connective tissue there between Jesse and why she chose the Bureau.
And what is with the motel and the Finnish janitor?
As intriguing as I found the slow unwrapping of the mystery box via Darling's tapes and other evidence I feel a bit like the game did not deliver on any kind of tangible explanation in the end. Not even your genre typical "multiple explanations are valid and it is up to the audience to pick one".
A bit like a dream where you are really convinced while sleeping that this is a good or interesting thing to dream and you should write down those ideas and when you wake up you realize none of it was all that great and it was more or less mumbo jumbo. Maybe that was the point?
The only character that isn't grounded is Ahti, everyone else is as they appear. Polaris is portrayed early on as an internal personality of Jesse, but you learn it is a sentient entity. Dylan is Jesse's brother, he's not a split off entity or anything, he was captured and held in the FBC indeed. Trench isn't really a father figure, the Nostalgia Department is just a cheeky naming on Remedy part, since everything comes back full circle to the projector Jesse found. Ordinary bullies were picking on Neil, it's left open on purpose, we don't know much outside of the report details.

As for the 60s office culture, it's because FBC had trouble digitizing and modernizing their tech. Either due to actual sluggish bureaucracy or their old analog tech gets the job done still and they have no reason to upgrade. They also mention it's easier to maintain and rely on. Jesse doesn't have a particular connection with it. It's just how the House is. She didn't 'choose' or 'create' the bureau either, it's a real location in game and I don't think looking at the game through the lens that everything is in Jesse's mind works.

Oceanview is most likely another location like the House, it can connect dimensions. Seems to serve as a hub area or a transfer spot.

On your last point, that sort of is the point. But the biggest conclusion we have is Jesse houses the resonant power of Polaris now, and the remaining Hiss are finite and can be eliminated.

Hope that clears some stuff up, the more you digest everything the more you will realize but also not realize.

Last edited:

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
cheers thanks for that.
I still think though that the subtext is the fight inside her psyche. From the first minutes on, the whole arrival of Jesse is totally surreal. Everything in the Old House is basically dream logic. Layout of rooms, the firebreaks, the giant pillars at the foundation, the ashtray maze all of that, it feels too much to believe this is a dimension shifting reality somehow hidden inside something close to our own reality where people go to work and do proper science all the while they are slaughtered or having deadly accidents on a daily basis . It feels really like a dream where you think it all makes sense, while you are still captured by it, but really it does not when looked through with wake eyes.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
cheers thanks for that.

To quote Twin Peaks Season 3: "We are like the dreamer who dreams, and then lives inside of the dream. But who is the dreamer?" Dream logic is the purpose of CONTROL. What's real in actuality vs. what's subtext or a metaphor falls away when you're inside it and experiencing it, but that idea is always in the background. It's fun to theorize about what Polaris is, or the whole P6/P7 thing, but ultimately the Why isn't as important as the What, How, and Where.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
How far am I into the main story if I just met Dylan?

Overall, I'm really positive about the game and I love a lot of things about it but there certainly are some glaring flaws in several areas
I'm trying to beat two optional bosses and checkpoints in this game is certainly one of said flaws..

ket

Jul 27, 2018
How far am I into the main story if I just met Dylan?

Overall, I'm really positive about the game and I love a lot of things about it but there certainly are some glaring flaws in several areas
I'm trying to beat two optional bosses and checkpoints in this game is certainly one of said flaws..

you have like two hours left

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Help?!
I made it through research and I am on the quest 'Old boys club' and yet I have no idea what is going on. Can someone confirm that this is normal or did I miss anything? I am confused af..😅

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
you have like two hours left

I just finished the game half an hour ago. What a trip.
I really loved the world building, lore, video sessions and everything surrounding it. There's definitely a lot of things I could criticize that I think a sequel should improve on, but overall it was a really awesome game.

I think I'm gonna continue playing it for the time being, there's definitely more stuff I'm interested in seeing and bosses I want to finish (finished the mold boss just after finishing the game, finally). Anchor boss is up next!
Help?!
I made it through research and I am on the quest 'Old boys club' and yet I have no idea what is going on. Can someone confirm that this is normal or did I miss anything? I am confused af..😅

Not sure which part exactly you are stuck on but maybe take a look at this?

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
He is not stuck, he just has no idea what is going on story wise. And yes that is very normal for this game. I played through it completely and still have no idea wtf that was about.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Is anyone else unable to load the game on PC? The epic game launcher is down it seems so I can't play now. Every time I attempt to log into the launcher it says service unavailable.

Edit: Working now. That was annoying.

Last edited:

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
So uh, love the game, but as a skin connoisseur, how much longer do I have until I can actually start unlocking them? I just did that punchcard puzzle in the HRA Lab.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Not sure which part exactly you are stuck on but maybe take a look at this?

Yea, it is like Lima says, I have no idea what is going on storywise. From time to time I get lost because the map is not the most accessible but I am getting used to it.

He is not stuck, he just has no idea what is going on story wise. And yes that is very normal for this game. I played through it completely and still have no idea wtf that was about.

Well, that's not very motivating in a way. Maybe I'll get the bigger picture after beating the game, otherwise I will try getting into the lore in a post-reading activity.. :D

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm quite enjoying my time with this game but sometimes I get really nervous when the game starts getting eerie/creepy. I sadly have zero tolerance for horror games and so far Control is just bordering on what I can handle. Lately the game got a bit scarier and I'd like to know if I should expect any jump scares or more creepy stuff so I can prepare a little.

I'm at the section
After you find the Ordinary model and have to go the research division to find the photo slider

For reference, some stuff that spooked me so far are
paintings on the wall suddenly turning sideways, Dylan's face appearing on the screen in what seemed like the only jump scare so far, the tv with threshold kids in Closed Cases that made the camera go in a fixed position (I had to watch that part in a YouTube let's play first, fml), and I find the motel sections incredibly unnerving and keep expecting something to jump out

I really don't mind some spoilers if it can help me mentally prepare for a jump scare or something, I'd just like to keep on playing with a bit more peace of mind because I'm really loving the game so far! Thanks for any help.

Dec 14, 2017
I'm quite enjoying my time with this game but sometimes I get really nervous when the game starts getting eerie/creepy. I sadly have zero tolerance for horror games and so far Control is just bordering on what I can handle. Lately the game got a bit scarier and I'd like to know if I should expect any jump scares or more creepy stuff so I can prepare a little.

I'm at the section
After you find the Ordinary model and have to go the research division to find the photo slider

For reference, some stuff that spooked me so far are
paintings on the wall suddenly turning sideways, Dylan's face appearing on the screen in what seemed like the only jump scare so far, the tv with threshold kids in Closed Cases that made the camera go in a fixed position (I had to watch that part in a YouTube let's play first, fml), and I find the motel sections incredibly unnerving and keep expecting something to jump out

I really don't mind some spoilers if it can help me mentally prepare for a jump scare or something, I'd just like to keep on playing with a bit more peace of mind because I'm really loving the game so far! Thanks for any help.
The
Dylan thing is really the only jump scare I'd say

There are some moments in Oceanview, but nothing at the same level. I think you can handle the rest.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I really want to like this game, but the map being confusing and the lack of a difficulty select are making it quite difficult. The game really needs
some QoL improvements.

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
I've done exactly 0 of the side quests. I know there are at least a couple side quests that add new abilities (both abilities start with "S"). Are any of the side quests "must sees" or should I just complete the game? I have about an hour or two left.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I really want to like this game, but the map being confusing and the lack of a difficulty select are making it quite difficult. The game really needs
some QoL improvements.

there's no need for difficulty level. you keep leveling things up and throwing junk at bad guys and it's quite easy. if it's too hard you just need to keep leveling through side missions and secret areas.

Dec 14, 2017
I've done exactly 0 of the side quests. I know there are at least a couple side quests that add new abilities (both abilities start with "S"). Are any of the side quests "must sees" or should I just complete the game? I have about an hour or two left.
You can do the sidequests post game. Some of them can be pretty challenging too, so it may be better to tackle them later.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
there's no need for difficulty level. you keep leveling things up and throwing junk at bad guys and it's quite easy. if it's too hard you just need to keep leveling through side missions and secret areas.

There's some flat-out broken boss battles regardless of level (Mold Boss and especially Salvador, I'm looking at you). I'm enjoying the game on the whole, but man is there some unneeded frustration.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
There's some flat-out broken boss battles regardless of level (Mold Boss and especially Salvador, I'm looking at you). I'm enjoying the game on the whole, but man is there some unneeded frustration.
Salvador was hard. It took a lot of know-how (gotta just keep floating the whole time). Once you've beaten the game and maxed out most things, Mold-1 is cake. It look like 15 seconds.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit. Just came here to say. RTX implementation like this...

My God... it's the future. This game feels next gen.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Got a question about skill upgrades: for example, why does it say lvl2 + 50% , lvl 3 +50%. So what's the point of upgrading?

Also why are you people spoiling bosses on here?...

Thanks
Hope they can somehow fix the texture load-in...some blurry stuff here and there

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of always respawning at a control point when you die. You seem to keep all collectibles and every time so far, it's been nothing but a boring uneventful walk back to the room I died in. Just respawn me there.

This game is getting more fun now that I've unlocked more abilities. Hurling shit is just so much fun.

I'm working on mission 4 right now.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
I'm not a fan of always respawning at a control point when you die. You seem to keep all collectibles and every time so far, it's been nothing but a boring uneventful walk back to the room I died in. Just respawn me there.

This game is getting more fun now that I've unlocked more abilities. Hurling shit is just so much fun.

I'm working on mission 4 right now.

Causes some issues when facing a boss, because you have to go back to the same spot

Mold boss and the Anchor were the most annoying

Jul 10, 2018
Has there been any update on the XBOX stability patch? When the PS4 one released they said XBOX and PC patch would be coming soon but patch still hasn't dropped yet.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Can you get the
rubber ducky
the first time you see it?

I figure the symbols on its base are how you unlock the door. But I couldn't find anywhere to enter them. I noticed an area nearby that requires a skill I don't have yet to access In a room behind see boxes. I'm assuming I unlock the ducky in there?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Can you get the
rubber ducky
the first time you see it?

I figure the symbols on its base are how you unlock the door. But I couldn't find anywhere to enter them. I noticed an area nearby that requires a skill I don't have yet to access In a room behind see boxes. I'm assuming I unlock the ducky in there?
Correct. You need to use said skill to enter the room via the rear, from a 'service tunnel' like area. You get to that via the room behind the boxes.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
The
Dylan thing is really the only jump scare I'd say

There are some moments in Oceanview, but nothing at the same level. I think you can handle the rest.
Thank you! I beat the game yesterday and yeah the rest of the game I was pretty much okay :) (though I still had a nightmare about the game lol). Now off to finish up the remaining sidequests.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone got a clue how to access this red locked door in Pipeworks? How to get around it?
i1jdcit.png

OA6xYuK.png

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I finally beat the Anchor boss!
I was doing fine most times but just ran out of energy or didn't have enough hp when some asshole threw objects at me lol but I figured out you can totally cheese this fight if you stay on the platform you enter the room from and there's a place to the right to hide behind when he throws the clocks, and it makes all the enemies who can come to you. You can also hit him when he's opening to the right or left if you angle it right

I really wish the game would let you mark places you couldn't get into or mark them for you, there's a bunch of places I remember not being able to access but I have no idea where they are right now and the map is so big that I really can't just go all over the place and start looking for them