• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Did the Xbox get the same patch as the PS4.
If so, there's very little mention of performance improved or the image quality looks better without film grain.

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. It is my GotY. I have my issues with it, but it is undeniably the most enjoyment I got out of a game so far this year.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the game! Mostly excellent. I would say that difficulty... Or rather, tedium in encounters set in in the home stretch. I was super into the narrative and off-put by the endgame's kitchen sink approach.

Even so, super satisfying, will play DLC and totally gonna replay Alan Wake.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing the game yesterday, I just found the shield ability and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The map is a bit difficult to parse and I find myself getting a little lost in the building sometimes but I'm enjoying it so far.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game creep you the fuck out too?

Cross post from the Ashtray Maze thread:

I find this game is creeping me out so much. I have a kind of Lofcraftian phobia of "seeing being the veil", or looking up into the night sky and seeing a giant eye roll open... and this game makes me feel like that shit is going to happen to me at any moment.

The refrigerator encounter... that was spooky af.

Also flying/floating in this game is amazing. Sometimes I can lucid dream a little and make myself fly. It's not really flying, it's kind of hovering off of the ground by a few feet and floating along fast. It feels just like this looks. I remember my dreams so vividly every time I fly in this game I can feel the way it feels to do it. So cool.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
For my gun I keep Grip and swap between Charge and Pierce as needed.
Grip - Level 3
  • Eternal Fire (Absolute) - Ammo refund chance on hit +100%
  • Low Health Boost (Prime) - Damage while health is low +98%
  • Headshot Boost (Rare) - Headshot damage +63%
Charge - Level 3
  • Charge Blast Boost (Prime) - Blast Radius +59%
  • Charge Velocity Boost (Prime) - Projectile speed +60%
  • Reload Efficiency (Absolute) - Reload speed +27%
Pierce - Level 1
  • Reload Efficiency (Prime) - Reload speed +19%
For Personal mods it's: Energy Boost, Energy Recharge Speed and the 3rd slot floats between Launch Efficiency and Health Recovery (I used the Shield Strength one for a two boss fights though)
Those weapons mods are crazy!!
The best ones I have reach ~70 or 80% at most though I didn't grind at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was finding the game a little repetitive once I hit the mines, but now I've unlocked flying the game has taken on a new dimension. Both the Fridge and Traffic light encounters were spooky and really fun.

The world building in this game is insanely good. The entire concept of another dimension and objects of power and altered objects... it somehow manages to feel really fresh despite using lots of old ideas meshed together. The sign of a well realized universe.

And combat is actually sublime. It flows so beautifully.

Shoot -> possess -> jump/fly -> grab rocket from the air -> take out shielded enemy. This kind of string of actions is so simple and intuitive to pull off, it makes me actively seek out combat encounters.

I read this game wasn't selling that well, and while I do get the console version could be rough... it's a real shame. Maybe if they re-release it on the new hardware it will get a boost. This is shaping up to be in the running for my GOTY.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the DP, but holy shit at

Alan Wake

Sharing the universe. Likely a retcon, but it fits so well.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and I'm a bit lost for words and not sure how to feel. The mystique and intrigue was strong all the way through, but got the feeling during the climax that I was losing the main thread of the plot more and more until I was essentially just along for the ride. Feels like a game that will elevate greatly from a long read of the wiki.

When the combat is popping, it really is fun, theres nothing like firing a few shots into an enemy and following up with a telekinetically thrown chair while levitating across the map. However, I had a few sticky moments that, when coupled with the unforgiving checkpoint/cleanse point locations, lead to some serious frustation. That said, the Astral Maze was a great little sequence, and the game could have done with more of those moments dotted throughout.

I think I'll land on a 7/10, will probably boost when I get my teeth into the lore and get my head around what the hell I just played. Hope the DLC doesn't focus on adjunct stories, just keep the narrative going to lead into a Control 2/Alan Wake 2.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I'm a bit lost for words and not sure how to feel. The mystique and intrigue was strong all the way through, but got the feeling during the climax that I was losing the main thread of the plot more and more until I was essentially just along for the ride. Feels like a game that will elevate greatly from a long read of the wiki.

When the combat is popping, it really is fun, theres nothing like firing a few shots into an enemy and following up with a telekinetically thrown chair while levitating across the map. However, I had a few sticky moments that, when coupled with the unforgiving checkpoint/cleanse point locations, lead to some serious frustation. That said, the Astral Maze was a great little sequence, and the game could have done with more of those moments dotted throughout.

I think I'll land on a 7/10, will probably boost when I get my teeth into the lore and get my head around what the hell I just played. Hope the DLC doesn't focus on adjunct stories, just keep the narrative going to lead into a Control 2/Alan Wake 2.
Did you read everything you found?

This is the first game in ages that I've wanted to, it really fleshes thing out.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Did you read everything you found?

This is the first game in ages that I've wanted to, it really fleshes thing out.

I started off reading everything I found, but got to a point where everything was redacted or covered on the page and didn't want to spend the extra time connecting the dots when I could be flinging concrete at Hiss lol

I'm gonna dust off the rest of the side quests I have left and then deep dive the collectibles, if you say that helps a ton with understanding. I started a YouTube video and they started talking about Jungian psychology, so I guess a lot is hidden on those scraps of paper :')

I guess it also doesn't help that I never finished Alan Wake? I should get round to that.

Dec 14, 2017
You don't need to know Alan Wake to understand Control, it just makes the documents about it have more impact. As for the redactions, you can totally ignore them and the basic idea of any document still comes through. Sometimes you'll know exactly what is redacted too from reading something prior.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Not possible to export all the documents from the game and create some sort of pdf is it ? I'd like to create a ebook to read over the lore

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not possible to export all the documents from the game and create some sort of pdf is it ? I'd like to create a ebook to read over the lore
I'd imagine the PC version might eventually allow for something like this if folks haven't already found a way to isolate and make the text readable and exportable. Maybe try posting on the subreddit and ask if a modder can look into it?

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Sorry for the DP, but holy shit at

Alan Wake

Sharing the universe. Likely a retcon, but it fits so well.

Probably not a retcon. Remedy likely spent a lot of time working on Alan Wake 2, before morphing into Quantum Break and then into Control, and seeing as AWE's, the Bureau and Max Payne (or the knock off Max Payne as Remedy don't own the rights any more), were in Quantum Break, and Sam has a tweet going back to 2012 about the town of Ordinary and how it'll come up in future games.

Considering
Ahti's Finnish song is about Alan Wake and Max Payne dying over and over again
, and the myriad of other references across the games, I'll assume Remedy has wanted to do this for a while.

I wish they hadn't sold May Payne though. I really want to see him again.
I thought Trench was going to be Payne when he mentioned his wife and daughter dying, but he's obviously not Payne.
I

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Beat the game yesterday. Definitely enjoyed it overall. I always love games that encourage exploration, especially those that lay out a mystery at the start of the story. Definitely made me excited to uncover all the lore I could find in terms of the collectibles. The game does a great job of creating this creepy atmosphere that permeates throughout The Oldest House. I also liked how the game doesn't have a waypoint marker telling you exactly where to go (instead just showing a general direction on the map), as I enjoyed organically exploring the world, and it was neat to rely on things like reading signs in the building to figure out where I needed to go. It's a nice touch to the immersion.

At the same time, I do wish the map was a bit more fleshed out in the game. Coming from the RE2 Remake, it was such a smart system in that game to clearly tell you which parts of the map had items/collectibles still left to find, and marking locked doors to make it easier to know where to come back later. It would have been nice in Control if there was an easier way to track uncollected documents, considering how much of that stuff really made the game for me.

I think the gameplay is really fun overall, and using the powers together along with the service weapon really does feel awesome when everything is clicking. I always had a blast launching things at enemy. I did have some frustrations with certain combat encounters though. Even with all my abilities upgraded, Jesse often felt like a 'glass cannon' to me, and one inadvertent mistake in an encounter (particularly boss battles) could wipe out a huge chunk of health. This isn't necessarily a bad thing on its own, but with the game's decision on handling checkpointing through reloading from the last control point on death, it can get a bit frustrating to die, then have to travel all the back from a control point to restart that encounter from the beginning. Admittedly this system isn't too different from something like Lamps in Bloodborne, but I felt it worked better there because you'd uncover shortcuts to quickly get back to a boss or where you last died. Maybe there were more shortcuts to traverse the map in Control that I missed.
Along with that, I felt boss encounters were the weakest part of the game, though to be fair, most of them are behind optional missions. I just never felt satisfied when I beat them (in the way I would in a game like Bloodborne) and they always felt more like a 'means to and end' for me. I really disliked Quantum Break's final boss, so I was genuinely relieved this game didn't really have one. So there's that at least. .

But overall, I had a really good time with the game. Without diving into spoiler, I felt the ending left me with a lot of questions, and hopefully the upcoming DLC will provide some more answers.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I just got lucky, every mod I've actually farmed mats for rolled worse than a mod I already found organically. The Eternal Flame is a guaranteed mod from a mini quest/Easter egg that anyone can unlock though.
Didn't know about that!! Will surely do it when I boot the game again.

I heard the ps4pro performance was so bad at launch
Did they patch it out or anything !
I played on an original PS4 and I must say that after the patch things were better regarding the fps. Watch the video from digital foundry to see for yourself but IIRC the Pro had a good performance.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Recently completed Control. It was alright. The physics, ease of combat/movement and cold corporate aesthetic (used for humor and atmosphere) were great. However, the combat encounters, story and constant simplistic block puzzles dragged the entire deal down. The game approaches some high ideals of different dimensions and crowd-applied poper to the mundane but doesn't hit the mark on it all and it feels like missed potential. The convenient exposition relevant Darling videos litter The Oldest House and I don't find really combine for any worthwhile revelation (unless there's a secret ending/encounter I'm missing where this adds up).

Jesse could have been a worse protagonist. She's a bit thoughtful and a touch of funny making her more likeable than I thought she'd be going in. I'm grateful for that, but wish the supporting cast could do the same. I suppose Emily Pope is to be the vast of that, but I wasn't fully onboard. The screenplay was rather inconsistent overall, leaning on mediocre.

In the end, and okay game. I expected as much going in and while I'm disappointed to have my suspicions largely confirmed. I did have a fair time with Control. I will keep an eye out for the DLCs.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I would also like to add how cool the maze was and that levitating in general felt really nice while using powers.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Finished the main story.

Loved the world, characters and overall feel of the game, the only thing preventing it a place among my favorites is the check point system, and the damage scaling and to some extend the combat which was on it self great but there were plenty of times enemies would spawn on top of you out side of view or would snipe you dead in 2 shots. How did dying within a couple of hits pass play testing even at later stages of the game?

Constantly dying at big groups or bosses, , looking at a loading screen having to run all the way back to try again added a bunch of frustration and for me frustration is the number one immersion breaker. I also had the game bug out at the Take Control mission in which enemies didn't spawn, so I had to quit out, select the mission from the mission select screen and do the whole shebang that comes before over again which was a huge bummer and got me out of it.

That said, It's still a fantastic game and enjoyed my time with it.

Now to do some post content stuff!

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's "finish Control" weekend, because I also completed it and mopped up all the main story threads.

So far sitting as my #1 GOTY, and probably my new favorite Remedy game, above both Max Payne's. It's just so well put together, with an endlessly intriguing world and great combat that opens up tremendously once you get about halfway into the game. Can't wait for the DLC and for the (hopefully) inevitable sequel.

Bravo Remedy, glad you got your groove back.

Oct 25, 2017
I really think it depends on how varied those expeditions look and how well crafted they are. Control combat is solid, and with the right combination of enemy and level design it's fantastic.
True, I won't write it off completely, but I feel like the only narrative heavy game that has done this type of run-based challenge DLC well was Prey and even that was flawed.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the game this morning, and it's been a while since I've been so conflicted on how I felt about a game. The game's lore is amazing, and it's atmosphere is incredibly breathtaking. I especially love how much detail they put into the environments and how the physics work. I spent a lot of time just admiring all of the little details, especially when most of the time this stuff can be completely skipped over. I think my favorite thing by far uncovering was
the Threshold Kids episodes. Just that unnerving atmosphere in a "children's" show was fantastic.

That said, I really didn't feel compelled at all to play as Jesse and learn more about her story. The start of the game is just so abrupt and the rest of the game never gave me enough to care about her. Along with that, the game's checkpointing sucks so bad. The control points are often always placed a bit ways off from where actual combat/bosses are. It just feels so cumbersome to be in a fight, die, then have to retrace your steps just to get to that fight again. It really hurt during the ninth mission, which just felt unfair at times.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
thanks to everyone who's taking the time to leave their feedback and impressions here!

motion blur off is a bad idea imo. Yeah the MB implementation is not very good but it still makes the game feel a lot smoother
from my perspective, a motion blur toggle is about accessibility.

turning motion blur off is the only way I can play the game for longer than about 90 minutes at a time. I suffer from motion sickness to varying degrees - it really depends on the game. with control it's not too bad. (I don't have it as bad as others, I have first person games I can play without a problem, like destiny, but then I also have certain titles that are - wait for it - literally unplayable to me without switching to third person if the option is there, and even then it's hard.)

if a third-person game has motion blur, sure, it's a cool aesthetic choice and I appreciate it from that point of view, etc, etc, but I just can't play with it on because it makes me very sick after a while. I have to basically lie down in a dark room until it goes away. this is an accessibility issue for not just myself, but other players as well. and not just with control! with a majority of games that have motion blur baked in.

ymmv, of course - I've spoken to people who feel queasy or just 'not right' when motion blur is turned OFF. that's why we put in a toggle, so you can decide if you need it on or off.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sorry for the DP <snip>
There's this:

Then from Quantum Break:

Another mention in QB to the FBC I believe as well (I haven't played AW or QB so this is just from what I've seen around).

Was going to buy Alan Wake on the Xbox to play but apparently it's not available in the UK (even though it shows in the store when you search it).

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Quantum Break worth playing? It's been on my wishlist for a while, and I love Control and Alan Wake so much.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Has the performance on base consoles been improved since launch? Seemed almost unplayable on a base PS4.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I've seen some players with the outfit
Essej
wears, or seems to be wearing. I beat her, but I don't have it. Where does it come from?

Is Quantum Break worth playing? It's been on my wishlist for a while, and I love Control and Alan Wake so much.

It's fine. Not great. Not awful. Definitely their weakest game. It looks and plays like a prototype for Control.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

It's worse than the other two but I would not say it's 'bad'. I rather enjoyed the story. Unsure of how it would hold up in terms of gameplay after playing control though, I always felt like it showed everything it had too early.

ElOdyssey

Oct 30, 2017
I have yet to play this game but this OT title has me curious. "This oldest House of Leaves" is this a reference to the horror book, House of Leaves?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Hit a bit of a slump a while back when I tried doing some side missions. They prevented me from enjoying the game due to the checkpoint system and some of the ridiculous enemy types introduced later... (anyone got tips for those long-ranged Mold enemies that seem to fire like a gattling gun?) It frustrated me especially because I expected I'd be strong enough to beat them already but ehhh, guess I have to beat the game first or something. Luckily, the main missions are a lot of fun and the story and mystery developments later on (around mission 7, I believe) were intriguing enough to draw me back to the game. The Ashtray Maze was easily the highlight of my entire time with the game. Looking forward to finishing the game soon!

Oh, and I really enjoyed one of the later side missions thanks to the story implications.

Fridge Duty! It was a cool boss fight but what got me really excited was meeting "The Former" and seeing how the location it absorbed me into wasn't the Astral Plane, or at least not the one we know. Learning about what's been happening with the Altered Items from Langstrom later was really satisfying and fascinating! There have been other Altered Items boss fights throughout the game and it seems like this "Former" might have been the cause of it. It's turning Altered Items into its own version of Objects of Power, yeah? That's really interesting and I don't expect it to be answered in this game or the DLC, but I hope the game gets a sequel to expand on lore such as this.

The fight was also pretty damn fun.

Finished the game last night and boy what a run. The last Remedy game was the Max Payne 1 & 2 but since I didn't like what they had before (AW wasn't my cup of tea and QB was a mess). Control hits the gameplay marks I wanted plus giving me a bizarre story and setting that was interesting to learn about. I kinda agree with Jim Sterling with characters being a little flat but what ever depth they have comes from the abstract world they have to deal with.
Also the best moments in the game

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a retcon. Remedy likely spent a lot of time working on Alan Wake 2, before morphing into Quantum Break and then into Control, and seeing as AWE's, the Bureau and Max Payne (or the knock off Max Payne as Remedy don't own the rights any more), were in Quantum Break, and Sam has a tweet going back to 2012 about the town of Ordinary and how it'll come up in future games.

Considering
Ahti's Finnish song is about Alan Wake and Max Payne dying over and over again
, and the myriad of other references across the games, I'll assume Remedy has wanted to do this for a while.

I wish they hadn't sold May Payne though. I really want to see him again.
I thought Trench was going to be Payne when he mentioned his wife and daughter dying, but he's obviously not Payne.
I
There's this:

Then from Quantum Break:

Another mention in QB to the FBC I believe as well (I haven't played AW or QB so this is just from what I've seen around).

Was going to buy Alan Wake on the Xbox to play but apparently it's not available in the UK (even though it shows in the store when you search it).

Then it's even cooler and I can't wait to see what they do in future.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Has the performance on base consoles been improved since launch? Seemed almost unplayable on a base PS4.
I love the game and is one of my GOTY contenders but even after the patch the framerate drops sometimes when you have too many NPCs and enemies at the same time, it's way better and more playable though!!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I would say my only negative is the spatial awareness of certain areas. This happen during the boss fights where you're trying to get out of a way of a attack and end up falling or block by an object that was out of your view.
You can remedy (heh) this a little on pc with an FoV mod. I'm going to install one as this has been happening to me quite often.

duck-doomster

Feb 1, 2019
Just beat the game this past Friday and then got the platinum for it yesterday. So far, it's my only platinum and a well-deserved one!

I really loved the combat, the feeling of levitating, catching grenades out of the air, and slamming stuff into the Hiss was super fun. I could have used more levels like the Ashtray Maze, since I thought the design and music worked very well together.

I did have my gripes about the end game:

the final fight was just waves of enemies, which felt excessive considering you did the same thing during the Polaris/Hedron chamber mission. Granted, in the final area you're extra strong, but it was very lame. Even more, you don't even fight Dylan! Then suddenly he's in a coma. It felt very flat, especially after the Ashtray Maze section.

However, it does set up nicely for DLC and expansions, which I will definitely get once they drop.

Overall, I loved this game, it was a surprise for me this year, especially since I had never played Alan Wake or Quantum Break. I look forward to seeing what Remedy does next.