• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finished the game over labor day weekend. The Gameplay is definitely perfection. Story was good enough to keep me going, but didn't really wow me that much. Techinical issues were pretty annoying(Xbox one X):

-Map wouldn't fully load pretty often(huge frame rate droppage when open also)
-Particular audio wouldn't play noticeably often (had to restart the game and xbox)
-The one glitch with not being able to upgrade Pierce

Sounds like this will be addressed to some extent in a future patch.

Appreciated the achievements in this game. They felt pretty generous. Played the game without even looking and after beating the game pretty much got all of them.
Love all the Alan Wake universe building

One question though
has anyone found Marshall after finishing the game? People are saying she might be DLC

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it over the weekend, absolutely loved it.
Shame I my Pierce was bugged to only get the 1st upgrade slot.

8XCYHRj.gif
OH MAN, looking forward to your gifs of this game!!!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm doing the
Mirror
sidequest. In the room where I arrive there is a computer with this little puzzle with the logo. I swear I tried every drawing in the room but cant make it work. I even try to reverse the images lol. Am I missing something?

empo

Jan 27, 2018
So I'm doing the
Mirror
sidequest. In the room where I arrive there is a computer with this little puzzle with the logo. I swear I tried every drawing in the room but cant make it work. I even try to reverse the images lol. Am I missing something?
I couldn't figure it out either. The first one of those I did I just randomly smashed some buttons and hit the correct one by chance so that's what I ended up doing on that one also haha.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
So about this Ashtray Maze, I accidentally stumbled upon it and got stuck in a loop. I'm guessing you're not suppose to go there until you have something?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I'm doing the
Mirror
This vid had the solution. They claimed that the solution was the inverse of the mirror in the real world or something like that. Reward honestly didn't feel worth it ig because it spend too much time on it than i wanted to admit.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't figure it out either. The first one of those I did I just randomly smashed some buttons and hit the correct one by chance so that's what I ended up doing on that one also haha.
This vid had the solution. They claimed that the solution was the inverse of the mirror in the real world or something like that. Reward honestly didn't feel worth it ig because it spend too much time on it than i wanted to admit.

and Rimkrak horizontally mirror the image on the corresponding computer screen in the
real world
Thanks ! I was still looking and stayed in the room after i beat the boss, but I was scared to go back since I was afraid I couldnt get back here anymore. But I watched the video and got the stuff, but then realised you can come back there. Anyway back to finishing the sidequests, thanks again!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Still in the middle of it, still loving everything about this game. Can't wait for announced DLC, seriously would want Control 2, where you're an agent outside the House on weird-ass missions recovering items.

Goddamn this game and its story and lore is so freaking good.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Finished it and did really enjoy it, although (mini rant/review incoming)
not sure if I was just ready for it to be over or what, it took forever to end, they really kept stretching it out. Also I just have never been a fan of, "Ok we are near the end lets throw 400 guys at the main character" it just gets tiresome. This game has issues with also overly busy combat scenarios where its sometimes hard as hell to see what is going on. I was definitely around a 8.75 but the ending and weirdness of it brought it down to 8.2, but Ashtray maze brought it back up to a 8.4.

Wasn't a HUGE fan of the story, love the subject matter, but I didn't really care or understand anyones motives, so it was hard to get attached or want to invest myself to dig deeper into all the deep buried lore - which seems the only way to understand it.

I say that with PT being one of my favorite game experiences of all time. But even in that 1 hour demo, I was invested in who is Lisa, what is this house, what are all these radio broadcasts? What do they mean!? Where i'm just mildly interested in Control, could have used some more connection with reality to help bring it in. Because for all I knew at the end of the game Jesse doesnt even exist and its all in Dylans mind and none of this matters.

BUT with all that said, it was an enjoyable experience and it felt really good to play at times. The atmosphere and construction of the environments were exceptional as well.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
shout out to the +96% damage against armor weapon mod i apparently had laying around, was the major mvp in the Tommasi rematch fight

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. The game has some really highs and some really lows.

The abilities are cool, the shooting feels good, the story is intriguing and the graphics with RTX turned on is AMAZING.

However, the map is a useless whenever you wanna know on which floor is something (which is a LOT in this game), the story doesn't stick the landing, too much lore hidden behind documents, side quests done completely wrong (either hiding a cooler boss than anything in the main game or the most boring fetch quest) and

the fighting sequence at the end is so fucking long for no reason without even a cool boos to fight. Just a wave after wave of regular enemies to slaughter until you fall or make a stupid mistake and you have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.

I was going from "this game is so good" to "fucking BS this's so frustrating" too many times for me to put it above AW or as one of the best games of this gen. Still a pretty good game held back by some strange decisions and a lack of polish in some areas.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even think about trying that - great idea. Going to attempt that battle again tonight with that approach; hope I have an armor damage mod close to that good.
If you stick to the bridge above the level, the screaming enemy won't be able to attack you. It should be pretty easy then, just block his attacks with the shield, and watch out for the exploding enemies.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
So I think I may have encountered a game stopping bug. I'll put what's going on in spoilers, but apart from a mission name and a description of an area, it's not too spoilery

So during the mission Face of the Enemy, I'm supposed to go through a security section to progress into the prime candidate program area, however I can't get through the checkpoint. There are three gates, the gate on the far left lazily opens and closes, but the second door is closed, and the other two gates are completly shut. I've taken a look at lets plays of the section, and those players are able to run right through the open gates. Am I doing something wrong here, or am I screwed?

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Picked Control up yesterday with the Target deal for Xbox. Anyone tell me how to sprint reliably? I seen to have to hit L3 a few times and when fighting it can be a pain in the ass.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
So I think I may have encountered a game stopping bug. I'll put what's going on in spoilers, but apart from a mission name and a description of an area, it's not too spoilery

So during the mission Face of the Enemy, I'm supposed to go through a security section to progress into the prime candidate program area, however I can't get through the checkpoint. There are three gates, the gate on the far left lazily opens and closes, but the second door is closed, and the other two gates are completly shut. I've taken a look at lets plays of the section, and those players are able to run right through the open gates. Am I doing something wrong here, or am I screwed?
Look around your surroundings, theres another way through off to the side. The gates open up later on but the first time through you take a side path

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
If you stick to the bridge above the level, the screaming enemy won't be able to attack you. It should be pretty easy then, just block his attacks with the shield, and watch out for the exploding enemies.
Huh, I did that, and the screaming enemy still appeared right next to me and killed me. You're talking about the invisible enemy, right? I've tried the bridge in the center and the gantry along the back wall.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017

If I remember it correctly, you have to go through the medical wing just to the left of the gates.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
Platinum'd it. Thoroughly enjoyed it even if it's a tad easy - Jessie is a glass bazooka by the mid-point. Just wish the performance, texture pop-in and loading times were better. Looking forward to dlc.

mercenar1e

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I want to get this game but not at full price for the PC. I miss having several websites that offer cheaper prices a week after launch.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I did that, and the screaming enemy still appeared right next to me and killed me. You're talking about the invisible enemy, right? I've tried the bridge in the center and the gantry along the back wall.
Yes, the invisible enemy. Weird, i tried it and he couldn't reach the bridge. Maybe I just got lucky then.

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit you can seize the healing orbs that heal enemies and have it heal you and the enemies under your control.

This game is fucking great

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
FINALLY beat
Tomassi
. Ugh, took me so many tries. Was white-knuckled near the end; we were both down to a sliver of health. I killed him, then immediately fell off the bridge and died from the fall. Thankfully it still completed the mission, or my head would have exploded.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Pretty crazy. Accidentally found out during one of the fights right at the end. I hit the orb with a pierce shot and before i could hit it again, it zipped behind a column. I rushed it to get a clean shot and lo and behold the seize prompt was right there. Pretty sure you need to work your way to the bottom of the seize skill tree to do it but once you seize it the whole orb turns blue and zips out of the way of any enemies trying to shoot it and it gives you and any other enemies you seized passive healing.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Pretty crazy. Accidentally found out during one of the fights right at the end. I hit the orb with a pierce shot and before i could hit it again, it zipped behind a column. I rushed it to get a clean shot and lo and behold the seize prompt was right there. Pretty sure you need to work your way to the bottom of the seize skill tree to do it but once you seize it the whole orb turns blue and zips out of the way of any enemies trying to shoot it and it gives you and any other enemies you seized passive healing.
I'd never have thought of this until I saw it as a tip during loading. Before then I thought I had wasted ability points on Seize. I was glad to be proven wrong on that one.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the plat. What a fun ride. Pretty sure i don't have a full grasp on the story but i still thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

As someone who enjoyed the combat throughout, those last couple of fights were some straight BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. The only time with the combat where i legitimately felt like i wasn't having fun. Overall the combat is definitely on the easy side and i hope any DLC doesn't have them try to course correct by putting in a bunch of bullshit combat encounters like the ones at the end just to make it more "difficult"

I'd never have thought of this until I saw it as a tip during loading. Before then I thought I had wasted ability points on Seize. I was glad to be proven wrong on that one.
Seize is definitely useful. Once you get all the way down the tree, i don't think there's anything you can't seize other than bosses and mini-bosses. Turning the right enemies can help thin the herd for sure. Especially if you put on a good accelerator mod.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
Loved the game. Beat it (PC). My issue is the Epic game store doesn't have achievements and the game doesn't have a % complete. I don't know how much I missed. I already found multiple secret areas after beating it.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good gun mod to drop the former (flamingo version) fast?

I was able to drop the fridge one but this one has a smaller platform.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck that fridge quest. WTFFFFFFFFF

That was incredible. From such a tragic story in the document to... that. The hotline unlocked after the quest was also really creepy.

Kind of lost my shit at the coffee thermos document too, hahaha.

I love this game.

Loved the game. Beat it (PC). My issue is the Epic game store doesn't have achievements and the game doesn't have a % complete. I don't know how much I missed. I already found multiple secret areas after beating it.

I imagine most secret areas will have some form of collectible. Maybe someone who has the platinum trophy could take a screenshot of their Collectibles page so we PC folks can see how many there are total.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. The story never did anything for me but I really enjoyed how it played and looked.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Is there a good gun mod to drop the former (flamingo version) fast?

I was able to drop the fridge one but this one has a smaller platform.
The best weapon to use against him are his own orbs, they pack a serious punch. I just used Grip with bonus damage as my gun. I don't even like Grip, but it's the most useful for the boss fights, where you need good range and reasonable rate of fire.

Beyond that, I found standing on a column to be best. At least you know when it's gone from under you.

Also, when he gets into the leg swinging stage, I found levitating to be best, and just dodge horizontally in the air. You can stay up there the whole time that he's swinging (or at least I could with my upgrades). Then just back onto the column when he stops. The only thing that's going to kill you is falling through a hole in the floor that you can't see, and this technique reduces the chances of that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. Stats don't work, but I assume it took me around 15 hours, and I absolutely loved it. Could see it being in my top 10 of this generation, and I hold it right up alongside action games like God of War. My main beef was the last chapter felt super slight, I feel like they didn't quite stick the landing very well. The last encounter felt like it was leading up to something big, and then it just...didn't. Still, wasn't enough to dampen my enjoyment of an incredible game.

Oh, I have one other beef, from a technical standpoint. I know it's a bug that will probably be patched out, but I actually don't want to understate just how annoying it was that the map would frequently not load in for me. The map itself is already kind of bad, but having it not load aside from fast travel points was super annoying at times