• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Really hoping for a patch on the base Xbox. The performance issues that are present throughout are sucking the enjoyment out of an otherwise very good game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If anyone is having trouble with the ocean-related item still I found this method effective after dying a few times. Nailed it first try.

1. Go in, pick up the first red clock and wait to throw whole standing far left of platform.
  2. Throw and hurt.
  3. Rotate left quickly to the next platform and pick up and throw the red clock.
  4. Rotate once more to the third platform and pick up the red clock, dodge if need to avoid the flying adds but you should have time to get it off.
  5. Immediately rotate back to the second platform, where you came from.
  6. From here shield/dash to avoid enemies while waiting for Anchor to rotate twice more.
  7. Fling the clock in when it opens and you're done.

You can beat the enemies and keep up with the Anchor for the first three but staying there or pushing for the fourth always gets you swamped.

If you backtrack for the fourth there's far less adds near you to worry about and you just need to wait two turns to be able to strike it.

The Former I managed to one-shot on discovering it and only advice would be:
Just use grip and dash. Peppered with launch if gun recharging or you feel like flinging something.

Grip one-shots the orbs and they're always aligned with the eye when exiting it, so I would just spam Grip shots, dash to evade the attack and repeat.

I found esseJ way more of a pain because of the third section.

Checkpoints are alright but got frustrating in these spots:
  • Anchor and running back through Clocks
  • The satellite run around Hedron
  • The race to Dylan in the Hiss-infested Astral plane. I fucked up the levitate and dash a few times off the edge and repeating the first two sections was mind-numbing.

Also, complete tangent but I felt like an idiot for thinking the traffic light altered item was based on the light cast and not movement.

I've still got 3 bosses left I think, and a few altered items. Thankful for that as love being the Director.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
This segment was too perfect not too make into a .gif. I could see it being useful with all the shallow apologies corporations offer when caught doing something shady.

oopsbwkbu.gif
right click SAVE

love this

Oh, hey, look who I've found!

uPBQ8jz.png

vidaisonline
hewwo it's me

Jan 10, 2018
I'm close to finishing this game twice and I just now noticed that I only have two more trophies left to go before I have platinum. I didn't even pay attention to any trophies.

Easiest platinum in a long while?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Can anyone give me an indication of % I am through the game? I have just arrived at the
Panopticon

Love the game, anything Remedy remains an instant purchase.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm currently attempting Tommasi. Pray for me.

Also the Bureau Alerts during boss battles are so annoying. Nobody cares about your fucking Bureau Alert in the Mailroom, AGAIN. Frankly the Hiss might be doing us a favour in there.

And then when you die in the boss battle for the 9th time: BUREAU ALERT FAILED. Good! I hope everyone one of those fuckers died a horrible death, so they know what it feels like lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I might be wrong but that's what I seem to remember reading. Either way, a bit disappointing. I'd love a NG+ for this game.
I'd love a NG+ if it had additional documents around or a chunk of the original ones but not-redacted. I wish you could easily replay Ashtray Maze though. It's far too stunning a moment to have just once.

Also the Bureau Alerts during boss battles are so annoying. Nobody cares about your fucking Bureau Alert in the Mailroom, AGAIN. Frankly the Hiss might be doing us a favour in there.
Rolling.
Also, prayers.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
I'd love a NG+ if it had additional documents around or a chunk of the original ones but not-redacted. I wish you could easily replay Ashtray Maze though. It's far too stunning a moment to have just once.

Yeah the documents being fully declassified would be fantastic.

Can't honestly put into words how much I enjoyed Ashtray Maze, it's like Inception on hard psychedelics. Wonderful sequence and a triumph of design. Remedy knocking it out of the park with this one.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah the documents being fully declassified would be fantastic.

Can't honestly put into words how much I enjoyed Ashtray Maze, it's like Inception on hard psychedelics. Wonderful sequence and a triumph of design. Remedy knocking it out of the park with this one.
That's the word lol, had a brain fart. I'm the same, it was incredible. About as perfect an abstract sequence as I could ever have wished for when intermixed with the already-amazing levitation, hover and launch. The music beats were perfectly matched as well, everything was just :chefs_kiss:.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Finished it last night and I have mixed feelings.

Gameplay is the best of any Remedy game, no doubt. It also runs great on PC and looks stunning.

But the story let me down.
I was expecting for something to make it click, something that would made me go into an eureka moment. But nope, what you see is what you get. The mysterious nature of the plot led me to believe there was some revelation to be made at the end. Not necessarily a Shyalaman plot twist, just something... It was actually pretty straight forward and very "gamey" in the end. While I compare the rest of the game to the Twin Peaks revival, I definitely won't be singing any praises to the end as I did for that series.

That maze was fucking amazing though. Totally worth the time with the game, it was incredible really. The most hype moment I've been for a while playing a videogame.

Oct 25, 2017
A NG+ with everything unlocked but with endgame enemies from the start would be so much fun!

Could even remix the boss fights, like adding a couple of invisible buddies to help Tommasi in the first boss fight of the game.

And then when you die in the boss battle for the 9th time: BUREAU ALERT FAILED. Good! I hope everyone one of those fuckers died a horrible death, so they know what it feels like lol
Go into UI options and disable the mission overlay. You won't get any popups this way. Did it before even starting the game.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Playing with the entire HUD disabled is a joy when you're just running around caving in heads with benches.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
is it weird if i think the combat in Quantum Break is more interesting than this game. I don't know, the powers felt more cool in QB

but the story, characters, setting, atmosphere is all better in Control

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017

Gameplay is the best of any Remedy game, no doubt. It also runs great on PC and looks stunning.

I was expecting for something to make it click, something that would made me go into an eureka moment. But nope, what you see is what you get. The mysterious nature of the plot led me to believe there was some revelation to be made at the end. Not necessarily a Shyalaman plot twist, just something... It was actually pretty straight forward and very "gamey" in the end. While I compare the rest of the game to the Twin Peaks revival, I definitely won't be singing any praises to the end as I did for that series.

That maze was fucking amazing though. Totally worth the time with the game, it was incredible really. The most hype moment I've been for a while playing a videogame.

That maze sequence was phenomenal! One of my most fun gaming moments. Everything from the gameplay and 'music" makes this such a cool section of the game!!!

Oct 25, 2017
is it weird if i think the combat in Quantum Break is more interesting than this game. I don't know, the powers felt more cool in QB

but the story, characters, setting, atmosphere is all better in Control
I can see preferring the powers in Quantum Break, even though I disagree, but it basically has two enemies. The normal dudes who you just shoot from the front and the big dudes you shoot from the back. You're free to use your powers however you see fit to achieve that, but that's pretty much it. I find the fights in Control much more engaging.

I also vastly prefer its gunplay, the feedback is so much better, in my opinion. I never knew if an enemy was truly dead until I saw them falling in Quantum Break, because it felt like some times it would take three shots and others five billion shots. In Control you get much better feedback with each shot, the headshots in particular feel very impactful, and enemies do that smokey thing on death, reminiscent of the light explosions in Alan Wake, providing better feedback on that front as well.

I was however expecting Control to feel a lot more like an iteration on Quantum Break than it did, due to the powers, so it's overall a positive that some people prefer Quantum Break's gameplay and others prefer Control's gameplay. That means it feels more different than it looked.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm only about halfway through the game -- I think I'm about to get the levitate ability -- but I already strongly agree with the calls for a NG+ mode. This game cries out for something like that, if for no other reason than to boost its replayability a little. I'm having a blast on this playthrough, but I have a hard time imagining restarting a new game from scratch.

This game was just barely on my radar screen when it dropped, and it's now pretty comfortably ensconced as the second best game I've played this year (behind RE2). I wish it ran better on the Pro, but I can put up with a few framerate drops in a game this good otherwise.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to save scum at crafting mod menu, but looks like the game instantly saves whenever you craft a mod lol.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Did I just really beat the game?

Dylan is in a coma and I'm the director.

Just wanted to confirm that was it?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to save scum at crafting mod menu, but looks like the game instantly saves whenever you craft a mod lol.
Heh. I never once even bothered with that. The game was throwing more mods at me than I knew what to do with. And I never had trouble in the game to even consider min-maxing my mods.

Did I just really beat the game?

Dylan is in a coma and I'm the director.

Just wanted to confirm that was it?
Talk to Emily. She might have 1 last thing for you to do :)

But yeah, that's the end of the story.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Anyone else feel like they've been waiting for this kind of game for a long, long time? Finished my new PC build the other night and finally booted this up and I had to force myself to stop playing and go to bed. Looks gorgeous, plays buttery smooth, has some great style, cinematography, and voice acting, and the story/lore/in game documents are just awesome and exactly the type of stuff I love. I'm absolutely hooked.

Can't wait to keep digging deeper. It's early but it could shape up to be an early GOTY contender for me.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
One thing that I forgot to mention. I don't know who came up with the idea of the Board talking the way it does, with the words having multiple translations, but it was a stroke of genius. Some of that stuff is pure gold.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Played for a bit yesterday and attempted to purchase the last weapon but the shop took my money and didn't give me anything lol.

Games been amazing to play though, can't wait until I finish it.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018

I agree with this entirely, its conclusion from a gameplay and narrative perspective was a huge let down and really generic. The game starts off so weird and the potential seems so huge for what it can do but it really never buys into it.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Has Remedy said anything about a patch coming ASAP? I'm not thinking of the vague "performance improvements" comments, but a more concrete one closer in time to fix the nastier bugs, e.g. broken side-quests.

Aneru

Mar 15, 2019
Does any one else have an issue with Bureau Alerts not appearing any more? I had a few in the first coupel hours of the game but then they just stopped spawning. I've beat the game now and I am going through to wrap up some quests but if they aren't showing up anymore then I won't be able to get the platinum trophy.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Would have been nice to have transitions with the elevator between floors being more than just a loading screen. I'd rather look at Jessie in the elevator than an immersion breaking loading bar.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
Just finished the game and all side quests, the ending is a little disappointing, also if you want to have easy time with bosses just max launch, only died max 2 times on a boss, I just constantly spammed launch power and bosses health just dropped.