• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Any tips for the final combat area in the story missions?

I've died in this section four times by accidentally falling off a platform--it's so frustrating that they don't do the "respawn with a little less health" bit that most games do. I cautiously move through the first couple sections, but the final arena is so layered with so many different enemies (including that stupid invisible enemy that pops out of nowhere and does insane damage) that I'm having a really hard time. I tried to retreat to a previous section and snipe from there, but it looks like the enemies respawn unless I stay put in the final area. Any tips?
Keep moving around the outside of the arena using seize on any enemy you get to low health. The extra distraction they provide is clutch. Also the key to that invisible enemy is just to stay up in the air. It cant hit you when you're levitating so you dont have to worry about it and can take out more pressing threats. If you get brought to low health, get your Shield up and scavenge for health pick ups quickly then get back up into the air. I dont know what your loadout was but I found having Charge with a +dmg, +shield dmg, and +aoe radius was extremely good in the fight.

Definitely the toughest fight in the game but you just have to be patient and methodical.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
b67e421e-df88-4c71-b9pku1.jpeg

bca7f91a-83d0-4067-a76jps.jpeg

Dec 6, 2017
US
Gbraga You should definitely give Prey a shot. It's fucking amazing as far as I'm concerned but give it some time and a few movement upgrades to feel comfortable before really forming an opinion. Your character moves like a 90 year old at first to seemingly force you into investing in that skill tree first just to feel 'neutral'.

Also I think a lot of people got hung up on the first person view + gun being an FPS, which it isn't at all. Approach it more like an Adventure game with combat "puzzles" that have first person shooting elements. Game lets you be super creative which is where the combat shines.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Gbraga You should definitely give Prey a shot. It's fucking amazing as far as I'm concerned but give it some time and a few movement upgrades to feel comfortable before really forming an opinion. Your character moves like a 90 year old at first to seemingly force you into investing in that skill tree first just to feel 'neutral'.

Also I think a lot of people got hung up on the first person view + gun being an FPS, which it isn't at all. Approach it more like an Adventure game with combat "puzzles" that have first person shooting elements. Game lets you be super creative which is where the combat shines.

Yup, even something like increasing run speed or jump height are upgrades that need to be locked and that's something that throws people off since Prey is first person but its not a traditional FPS.

Oct 25, 2017

Will do, thanks! It's apparently on Game Pass too, which is great.

I dislike basic movement stuff being behind a skill tree, but it's been the norm for long enough that I'm used to it at this point.

To use Control itself as an example, I personally disagree with their decision of making returning rockets an unlock in that skill tree. It would be such a satisfying "AHA!" moment if players just figured it out by themselves, either by thinking "would that work?" or by mere accident, and then sharing online that this is actually possible.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Is there any way to track how many countermeasures I've completed? Going for the trophy, but don't know how far off I am.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Is there any way to track how many countermeasures I've completed? Going for the trophy, but don't know how far off I am.

Don't you only need 5 for the trophy? I find the ones where you have to protect personnel are very hard to complete. Eliminating hiss nodes seems to be the easiest of the bunch.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Hardest part of the game for me.
Yea, just take your time.

People fuck this up because they don't take their time. You're not on a timer. There's no rush. Pick enemies off from range then move up when the herd is thinned. If more enemies spawn than you're comfortable with, fly back to a previous platform area and repeat.
Yeah that part does seem poorly checkpointed, as I ran into the same issue. Just took it very slowly once I started my way up to the 4th one and played very defensively - which is not normally the way to play Control obviously, but you can catch some bad breaks there and it's also easy to dash off the platform into an abyss. Defensive just made the most sense becase it became frustrating to always start over from the first one again.
Yep this is mainly how I feel, its a bit counterintuitive this late in the game because I'm used to be constantly rushing. So i try to go easy and take my time, but then a rocket starts flying and I dodge, so naturally I jump and fly, then dash etc but then I never slow down again and do a stupid mistake^^
I paused to play coop with a buddy, I think its gonna be fine when I go back later

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Don't you only need 5 for the trophy? I find the ones where you have to protect personnel are very hard to complete. Eliminating hiss nodes seems to be the easiest of the bunch.

Nah, those 5 are Bureau Alerts which will flash up on screen. Countermeasures you accept from Control Point menu, and need to do 25 but I can't remember how many I've done.

edit: Just got the trophy after I posted this, heh. I should be less impatient, I guess!

Last edited:

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Nah, those 5 are Bureau Alerts which will flash up on screen. Countermeasures you accept from Control Point menu, and need to do 25 but I can't remember how many I've done.

Oh I'm sorry, got the two mixed up. You need 25 countermeasures for the final trophy, a piece of advice is to abandon a the situational ones so you get easier ones.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Yup, even something like increasing run speed or jump height are upgrades that need to be locked and that's something that throws people off since Prey is first person but its not a traditional FPS.
Will do, thanks! It's apparently on Game Pass too, which is great.

I dislike basic movement stuff being behind a skill tree, but it's been the norm for long enough that I'm used to it at this point.

Yeah I mainly felt the need to bring this up actually because I totally bounced off the demo at first for the exact reason that movement feels like shit at first. Once I invested in mobility asap, traversal actually becomes flexible and a great component of its gameplay.

Talos I is also absurdly well-designed and thoroughly believable as a location. Level design is excellent. You're in for a treat.

PS: And I agree wholeheartedly that feeling like having to get to an acceptable "neutral" movement feel via skill tree is a bad idea.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Y'all should buy Virginia on the PlayStation sale for $1 and then play it, pretending you're an FBC agent out investigating phenomena.

Yibby

Nov 10, 2017
I'm now somewhere mid game i think and the checkpoint system really sucks. It's so unnecessary that you have to run 30+ seconds to reach a boss.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
So has anyone had issues with the Matter of Time side quest? The medic who is supposed to start the quest isn't where he should be so I'm shit out of luck trying to access a certain area.

Any recommendations or am I fucked until a patch?

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
This game is great, what a surprise.

The amount of shit going on at one time can be insane, really impressive. Can't wait for next-gen consoles and raytracing now...

Yeah I generally don't mind the checkpoint system, but boss fights are where it sticks out as annoying, for sure.

Yeaaaa it's pretty frustrating sometimes.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Replaying Quantum Break and man. I enjoy it but Control is such a huge improvement in key areas. Responsiveness, movement, fluidity, shooting, enemy response... just everything feels so much more fluid and better to control in Control.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Closing in on the ending now and if there's one thing that bugs me the most, it's the enemies respawning in areas I've already cleared. Can't I just explore in peace?

Otherwise, it's been a great experience. Even performance-wise, it's been decent on my PS4 Pro. Some slowdowns, but nothing that really bothers me all that much.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I enjoyed the core gameplay enough that today I wrapped up every last mission I had. Weirdly enough, despite doing what I assume is everything, I still have 2 more levels of melee damage left to upgrade (everything else is maxed out) so I wonder what I missed because thats like 5-6 upgrade points I'm missing and as far as I know you only get those for missions and sidequests as well as +1 for discovering secret zones.

Heck of a game. Wish the performance was better, but I really, really enjoyed it. First time in a while where I can say that I'm really looking forward to the DLC.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the reactor core

Do we ever learn who's locked in there or is it just REDACTED

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So has anyone had issues with the Matter of Time side quest? The medic who is supposed to start the quest isn't where he should be so I'm shit out of luck trying to access a certain area.

Any recommendations or am I fucked until a patch?

Try fast travelling somewhere else and then back again. That did the trick for me when he wandered off at the end of the mission.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Is the quest glitched?I can't seem to get the guy in the Coolant Pump area to spawn.

How the fuck am I supposed to beat this mold boss in The Pit? I try to strafe around it but I keep taking cheap hits or running into shit that leaves me vulnerable.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
f94d83d1-8da3-4087-8p2kb0.jpeg
Ya know, I ran right by those monitors and looked at them a couple of times. I clearly recall reading the one all the way to the right, but either I never recognized the labeling above it, or never put two and two together. Very creepy stuff considering. There was some incidental dialogue that adds up now too:

After I finished the main story, Arish would occasionally mention how Northmoor has a birth date in his file, but no date for when he died. The other NPC near him mentions how it's probably just a clerical error, but Arish seems less convinced. Guess Arish had the right of it afterall. Wonder if he 'knows' and is tipping you off, since you first meet him as part of the NSC quest lines.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
One of Trench's hotlines relates to
Northmoor's retirement... says that he agreed...

what the fuck happened to the man?

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I enjoyed the core gameplay enough that today I wrapped up every last mission I had. Weirdly enough, despite doing what I assume is everything, I still have 2 more levels of melee damage left to upgrade (everything else is maxed out) so I wonder what I missed because thats like 5-6 upgrade points I'm missing and as far as I know you only get those for missions and sidequests as well as +1 for discovering secret zones.

Heck of a game. Wish the performance was better, but I really, really enjoyed it. First time in a while where I can say that I'm really looking forward to the DLC.

Maybe you're missing a few "Hidden Areas"?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having way too much fun using the physics to reach places I probably shouldn't be able to. Just reached that anchor without the flying ability. It was fun.

Died in five seconds after that, though.

Skavi

Feb 13, 2018
Did y'all catch the
janitorial equipment in containment
in Parapsychology? Around the Astral testing area. Hm.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I'm having way too much fun using the physics to reach places I probably shouldn't be able to. Just reached that anchor without the flying ability. It was fun.

Died in five seconds after that, though.
lol I did the exact same thing. Literally died when trying to get to another platform.

Oct 27, 2017
I find myself constantly wishing they allowed you more than just 3 personal mod slots. 3 for each gun is fine but considering how many things you have to account for under personal mods (energy, shields, health, evade, etc) 3 slots just isn't enough.

It would be cool if you could use resources to unlock more mod slots.

Right now i just roll with the highest tier of the 3 mods i've had pretty much the whole game and don't really see much desire to swap those things out or experiment with vastly different mods.

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck am I supposed to beat this mold boss in The Pit? I try to strafe around it but I keep taking cheap hits or running into shit that leaves me vulnerable.

Use Spin. When it attacks with the tentacles use shield and allow it to hit. It shouldn't do damage. When retracts unload on the weak point on the arm. Should be able to destroy both of them this way.

Then just unload on the main weak point with spin until it dies.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
This game is amazing
Just did the ashtray maze section with the music playing in the background and had the biggest smile on my face the whole time
Are all of Remedy's games this good? This is the first game I've played of theirs

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil