• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is there an easy mode I've somehow set this game to? People are saying the 1st boss is a difficulty spike
but I didn't even realize it was a boss. I literally just hid behind something and shot them to death when the guy was reloading his projectiles. What were people finding difficult there?
you just figured it out first, if you don't take cover and try to take it on head first it's brutal between the projectile damage you take from it and the way it dodges your shots. using cover (something you don't really need to do up to that point) trivializes the fight

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm stuck

doesnt wanna popup
Control_Screenshot_2019.08.29_-_17.33.25.77.png

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Why does this game makes me so scared and uncomfortable, god damn it! I don't remember feeling this sensation of dread and fear since RE7

I went in for an action 3rd person shooter and stayed for the horror, I fucking love it.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Guy I watched complete the game on Twitch last night spent an hour trying to figure out how to activate a quest

Turns out it was the Playstation Exclusive level, and he was on PC. 😢

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just reached the part where all those "crafting" materials can finally be used to make weapon mods, been giving access to challenges and skill tree unlocks ........ not sure how to feel, please dont be another trend chaser .....

Otherwise, so far so good, but I still dont have a clue when and where the game is saving so I can come off.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this game makes me so scared and uncomfortable, god damn it! I don't remember feeling this sensation of dread and fear since RE7

I went in for an action 3rd person shooter and stayed for the horror, I fucking love it.

The damn puppet kids show I can basely contain myself watching them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Think I'm gonna put the thread on blackout.
Last page had a couple of minor (minor) elements I'd rather have discovered myself.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Played it finally. First two missions only but this is my Remedy I remember.
This will finally be the game that is as good as Alan Wake, or maybe even better who knows. Blackout now, I wanna soak in everything.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
So I have only played about 2 hours of this game for context but I have a question that I will spoiler just in case.

Spotify just added an Old Gods of Asgard song to my release playlist and wow that has me wondering this could be in the same universe as Alan Wake right? Am I getting hyped for no reason?

Loving the game so far!

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if vidaisonline or Thomas Puha could comment on this, but I imagine they might not be able to, and that's okay.

But I can't stop thinking of why they named Dylan and Jesse P6 and P7 respectively.

In the game, Dylan (P6) was brought into the FBC because his abilities were very promising, so much promising that they were trying to train him to become the new director. But we find out that it didn't work, as Dylan wasn't really fit for the job. Then we discover that the next one they were hoping to pursue for that position, was Jesse (P7) and she does indeed become the new director excelling at her job.

For those who don't know, P# is also how Remedy name's their projects. Control is P7, and I believe Quantum Break was P6.

So, P6 was a candidate they had a lot of faith and put and a bunch of resources into but didn't really pay off how they were hoping, so they moved on (like Quantum Break) while P7 is the candidate that was successful as their future director (like they hope Control will lead Remedy's new direction). I think that's the analogy they are making here

Also, another fun fact is that the actor that portrays Dylan, Sean Durrie, was initially cast as Jack Joyce, Quantum Break's main character (the first demos we ever saw were with him on the role) before the role was recast and Shawn Ashmore took it.

Am I going crazy here or yall see the same thing too?
Spot on I think.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
This game is breaking so many fourth walls, I am loving every second of it.

One of the Director messages literally says,

You can use the loot and create mods for your weapon in the game menu. We allow this.

What is up with this story :)

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
So I have only played about 2 hours of this game for context but I have a question that I will spoiler just in case.

Spotify just added an Old Gods of Asgard song to my release playlist and wow that has me wondering this just be in the same universe as Alan Wake right? Am I getting hyped for no reason?

Loving the game so far!
hehe.

there's one more than in that link -

the gold director's outfit, which you get from the luck & probability division.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So I just got the floating ability and it just highlights one of the great things about this game, actually, two great things that are somewhat connected: how it feels and how it... controls. It's so satisfying to simply move around and jump and climb and now float. And it all feels so intuitive and easy. You go this float ability and it's so easy to get a hold of its use and suddenly you have this all new avenue to approach exploration and combat.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, messing around as soon as I got the the quarry area

Found my way onto one of those lifts, ended up here.

a9N9ugq.jpg

Eventually you hit some invisible barriers though. :(

zsrzleu.jpg

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Just started the game and played for about an hour: I absolutely loved it, but I knew I would, because I loved Alan Wake, as well.

I do think that, while the game's art direction is immaculate, the technical execution leaves something to be desired. I'm playing on Xbox One X, and some of the finer details almost look a little bit pixelated. Her hair, in particular, is kind of distracting to me. I've also had some weird frame rate drops, it seems around particle effects. Super unusual for a game of this caliber, but I guess it being 505 means the budget is lower than if it was 1st Party Microsoft or something.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat Mission 5, and still don't have the option to upgrade Shatter - not even grayed out. Is this normal?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea of how to beat the winged fuckers? I can barely hit them because if i try to shoot at them they are hitting me with something that takes half my health immediatley. The annoying part is i cant tell what im getting hit by

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Any idea of how to beat the winged fuckers? I can barely hit them because if i try to shoot at them they are hitting me with something that takes half my health immediatley. The annoying part is i cant tell what im getting hit by

Well, the obvious answer is: shoot them. Throwing things at than also works, but they will often dodge. And what they are using to attack you is objects they can lift and throw just like you. You can see them at their sides, and there a telling red flash before they throw it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
would I hugely regret
blowing off Spin and saving for Pierce? what about spending on Upgrade Grip? Spin doesn't really sound like my thing. I really have no sense of how much of each material I'm gonna be getting in this game

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
would I hugely regret
blowing off Spin and saving for Pierce? what about spending on Upgrade Grip? Spin doesn't really sound like my thing. I really have no sense of how much of each material I'm gonna be getting in this game

WEAPON SPOILER
nah spin is too weak to be a dps weapon. the initial burst of pierce along with penetrating shields is a far more useful tool

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
would I hugely regret
I think the weapon you're interested in is the better choice but you'll get enough material for all of them.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
cool, thanks guys. does that also mean that I can roll the dice on some mods here and there?
I just unlocked Rare mods and I'd sorta like to try some, but I also need Astral Blips for Pierce, so I'm torn

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think Control is far from groundbreaking when it comes to level design in Metroidvania games. It has a great level design, but simpler compared to something we would find in Metroid: Prime. All that said, Float might be the best traversal ability in any game I've played of that type (not that I've play that many). It's so good and functional. In practice it serves more like a double jump than a flying ability, but it's much more interesting than simply being able to jump multiple times while in the air.

Thinking about the Prime games just now, it's a sort of a mix between double jumping and spin jump Samus can do for a long time. But it works much better than both, either in combat or exploration. Not to mention how good it feels.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I did a bunch of side quests today and they are really great. A good mix of puzzle and combat scenarios, I urge people to explore and not miss some of these

Right? It makes too much sense for me. Would love if someone from Remedy would talk about that, but I'm not sure they ever will

Oct 27, 2017
Weapon upgrade question:

I been rolling with Grip & Pierce since pierce first unlocked. I've played a bunch of hours since then and it seems like im about to get the final power and i still haven't be given the opportunity to upgrade either (i was able to upgrade grip once) So when im at the fast travel points and look at the available weapons/upgrades...I can buy charge, I can buy Spin and i can upgrade Splatter. I'm not interested in doing any of these things.

Is the game forcing me to dump resources into one of the above before another upgrade for another gun will present itself?

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
So I just gained access to level 2 doors. Should I go back to the executive area and hunt for level 2 doors or can I push forward and go back later and not miss anything?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I know tutorializing for puzzle stuff is hard, but man, slapping you in the room with a character who goes "What's that thing?" "We need to find the right order" "I hope we can solve this" "I think that the eggs are important" "We should probably try using different eggs" "Each egg corresponds to a basket" "Huh...I think these baskets have something to do with eggs" is, to me, not the solution

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Never thought it'd be Remedy as the western developer making Third Person Shooter bosses that'd be putting their fellow western development peers to shame. Particularly most of these sub-quest ones. They definitely looked to Japanese influences a lot more with that aspect of this game I feel, and as overdone as it is, it feels very Dark Souls influenced in places.

I feel like the game could have done with another half a year in the oven, and made it a PS5 launch title, as sometimes the physics stuff janks its tits off and I die because of it. But boy oh boy what a game this is. It's all I've been able to think about since I started.

Just got done with P6/P7 area, mopped up a lot of side-quests too.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Never thought it'd be Remedy as the western developer making Third Person Shooter bosses that'd be putting their fellow western development peers to shame. Particularly most of these sub-quest ones. They definitely looked to Japanese influences a lot more with that aspect of this game I feel, and as overdone as it is, it feels very Dark Souls influenced in places.

I feel like the game could have done with another half a year in the oven, and made it a PS5 launch title, as sometimes the physics stuff janks its tits off and I die because of it. But boy oh boy what a game this is. It's all I've been able to think about since I started.

Just got done with P6/P7 area, mopped up a lot of side-quests too.
I thought the bosses were one of the weakest parts of the game.

I was so relieved the game didn't end with a boss.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
cool, thanks guys. does that also mean that I can roll the dice on some mods here and there?
I just unlocked Rare mods and I'd sorta like to try some, but I also need Astral Blips for Pierce, so I'm torn

Save your mats. Mod drops in the open world are better sources than rng through the "shop".

Weapon upgrade question:

I been rolling with Grip & Pierce since pierce first unlocked. I've played a bunch of hours since then and it seems like im about to get the final power and i still haven't be given the opportunity to upgrade either (i was able to upgrade grip once) So when im at the fast travel points and look at the available weapons/upgrades...I can buy charge, I can buy Spin and i can upgrade Splatter. I'm not interested in doing any of these things.

Is the game forcing me to dump resources into one of the above before another upgrade for another gun will present itself?

Upgrades for weapons unlock with story progression and not upgrading current weapons.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
Spent a good 10+ minutes messing around in the Luck Lab. I love how much small, fun, weird stuff is in this game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I want to see this guy working for the FBC:

200.gif

Although Emily Pope remind me a bit of him. The characters in this game are pretty great.

Also, if Jesse doesn't say "I should go" by the end of the game I must just have to ask for a refund!