• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Bought it this afternoon. Will start it in the next days, i'm really looking forward to it and soak in the atmosphere of this weird setting!

Liquid_

Oct 19, 2018
Still liking the game. Only thing that lets it down for me are the boring, unimaginative and repetitive bosses

especially the former thing in the astral plane

But then again, Remedy was never really good at designing bosses

Have you fought these two yet ?

The Anchor and esseJ from the Mirror

These are fine and tense, especially as they make you use all of your available abilities.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
quoting for new page:

my single biggest problem with the first few hours of the game? how unnaturally cool, calm, & collected the protagonist is. it just makes no sense. suddenly, spaces shift, people are shooting at her, she's shooting them, & - nothing. no 'holy shit!' no 'what the fuck?!' just her soothing little inner monologue. for me, it's this that's outright stranger than everything else that's going on...

is there eventually any explanation for this? it's like she showed up actually expecting it...

Oct 27, 2017
I can agree with this, especially when they actually do act quite differently. Most games that do the whole "these enemies look similar but use different guns" thing don't really change much in the actual fight, but I feel like they behave in unique ways in this game. I notice there's a rocket launcher enemy because they always run away from me as I get closer, for example, which is cool. So it would be nice to have some visual variety to go with that.

Yeah i noticed that as well. Snipers run away too when you get too close. They also wear some sort of trench coat. Not that you'd be able to easily notice at a distance

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
is it just me or is the early fight against
Tommasi
kind of a difficulty spike?

okay, got it after the 10th try... :D

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a few mods called Seize Accelerator, but I'm not so sure what they do exactly. Can someone enlighten me on this one?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
my single biggest problem with the first few hours of the game? how unnaturally cool, calm, & collected the protagonist is. it just makes no sense. suddenly, spaces shift, people are shooting at her, she's shooting them, & - nothing. no 'holy shit!' no 'what the fuck?!' just her soothing little inner monologue. for me, it's this that's outright stranger than everything else that's going on...
Considering
she has some kind of passenger who's telling her about all this and instructing her, I think Jessie's unnatural attitude is very much deliberate

It's not an inner monologue, she's talking with someone or something

benj

Oct 27, 2017
is there eventually any explanation for this? it's like she showed up actually expecting it...
the game is very intentionally playing with what 'realism' means in the context of the events it's depicting—plying the surreal, the uncanny, the representative, the abstract, in service of the story it is telling. there's a reason why so many objects of power appear as household objects with some relationship to nuclear-family 50's Americana—the bakelite phone, the old refrigerator, the carousel horse. if the game were just about the ordinary being made strange, I think it'd be a boring and underthought game (in the way that a lot of horror games are). instead, counterweighting all those quotidian objects made bizarre, the game very purposefully plays with bizarre objects being situated as somehow matter-of-course. I'm not all the way through the game, but I think the employees' regard for the 'Director' role sort of fits into that system.

people's reactions to the events around that are part of that, whether they be appropriate responses, muted responses to the outrageous, or exaggerated responses to the seemingly mundane. Jesse's own attitude toward the things around her—what she regards as odd, what she thinks is normal, the singleminded focus she brings to both 'normal' conversations and experiences with the supernatural, are very much in conversation with all of this

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
pW4UYjy.gif

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
her attitude is supposed to come off as strange? well, it definitely does. so, you're saying its deliberate, & i'm supposed to be confused by it?...

Half of this genre is stuff happening and the audience being unclear as to what's actually happening and what's normal and why characters are acting the way they are. We don't know what Jesse's deal is, or what she considers normal, and the desire to figure out why she's acting like she is given the circumstances can be a huge motivator to want to continue playing.

I think it's way more interesting than if Jesse was just constantly saying "WELL, THAT'S WEIRD!"

Just go with the flow. :)

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesse is certainly confused when she converses with
her brother
. You get to have a good half a dozen conversations and they grow increasingly bizarre.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Any console update DLs I should know about other than the day 1? I don't want to be blindsided when I finally play it this evening, thanks

Jan 10, 2018
I've only played for about 5 hours but to work in The Old House seems to be extremely dangerous and unhealthy, to the point where you have to be absolutely fucking crazy to even step a foot in there. It baffles me that most of the FBC employees you meet sound like your everyday working people who nag about the coffee and not getting enough pay. How on earth do they stay motivated to work in such a hostile environment? "You will do the research of a lifetime and really make history... but oh yeah, there's also a slight risk of your office transforming into a lava pit without warning. So, do you wanna start on monday?"

Jesus christ, these people are more scary than the actual Hiss. I refuse to believe most of what I've seen so far. Everything and everyone is in question. There has to be a story explanation for all this crazy behaviour. Time will tell!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've only played for about 5 hours but to work in The Old House seems to be extremely dangerous and unhealthy, to the point where you have to be absolutely fucking crazy to even step a foot in there. It baffles me that most of the FBC employees you meet sound like your everyday working people who nag about the coffee and not getting enough pay. How on earth do they stay motivated to work in such a hostile environment? "You will do the research of a lifetime and really make history... but oh yeah, there's also a slight risk of your office transforming into a lava pit without warning. So, do you wanna start on monday?"

Jesus christ, these people are more scary than the actual Hiss. I refuse to believe most of what I've seen so far. There has to be a story explanation for all this crazy behaviour. Time will tell!

41vZCfEFRAL._SX425_.jpg

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Jesus christ, these people are more scary than the actual Hiss. I refuse to believe most of what I've seen so far. Everything and everyone is in question. There has to be a story explanation for all this crazy behaviour. Time will tell!

Better healthcare benefits.

d3nchija

Oct 28, 2017
London
All those positive impressions made me buy the game.
PC here!
I don't know the last time I paid full price for the game but man I am so thirsty for single player with atmosphere and good story.

Downloading now!

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
The voice acting and the models are great, but I think the facial animation is inconsistent. The janitor is expressive and emotes well, some of the other characters (including the protagonist) not so much.. Looks downright bad sometimes..

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
The voice acting and the models are great, but I think the facial animation is inconsistent. The janitor is expressive and emotes well, some of the other characters (including the protagonist) not so much.. Looks downright bad sometimes..
Yeah that is sorta bugging me how motionless the game is sometimes

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The checkpoints in this game really are bad. Why when I die after a boss fight do I have to travel all the way back to the level? It's so frustrating. Just reload the save right at the beginning of the fight. It just seems a really bad design decision.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The checkpoints in this game really are bad. Why when I die after a boss fight do I have to travel all the way back to the level? It's so frustrating. Just reload the save right at the beginning of the fight. It just seems a really bad design decision.

Yeah, that's one of my gripes. It's especially weird when I've fought my way through to a room at the end of a path somewhere and there's a scripted enemy spawn and I need to fight them off and I die.

I respawn and then I'm all like "Well.. Do I need to go back and kill those guys? Are they even still there? Did I miss anything?"

That, and the silly load times sometimes.

Kodaemon

Banned
Jul 21, 2019

She has an otherworldly entity inside her head. Also, she mentions at one point how all the weirdness actually feels right to her for some reason, "how the world should be".

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the story and still have a few random missions to finish. Think my biggest gripe are upgrades. I couldn't upgrade the standard mode of the gun before finishing the story, since I was missing 2 of the House Memory items. Then got like 11 of them during the final fight.

That is not really when you want your first upgrade on that.

Otherwise loved the story and setting, and the abilities are fun as hell to play with.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Finished the story and still have a few random missions to finish. Think my biggest gripe are upgrades. I couldn't upgrade the standard mode of the gun before finishing the story, since I was missing 2 of the House Memory items. Then got like 11 of them during the final fight.

That is not really when you want your first upgrade on that.

Otherwise loved the story and setting, and the abilities are fun as hell to play with.
yeah i assume certain stuff is dropped by certain enemies/in certain places but it would be good if the game told you that.

so i finished it just now

it just seemed to end really suddenly? i don't feel i followed much of the plot to be honest, hmm.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if vidaisonline or Thomas Puha could comment on this, but I imagine they might not be able to, and that's okay.

But I can't stop thinking of why they named Dylan and Jesse P6 and P7 respectively.

In the game, Dylan (P6) was brought into the FBC because his abilities were very promising, so much promising that they were trying to train him to become the new director. But we find out that it didn't work, as Dylan wasn't really fit for the job. Then we discover that the next one they were hoping to pursue for that position, was Jesse (P7) and she does indeed become the new director excelling at her job.

For those who don't know, P# is also how Remedy name's their projects. Control is P7, and I believe Quantum Break was P6.

So, P6 was a candidate they had a lot of faith and put and a bunch of resources into but didn't really pay off how they were hoping, so they moved on (like Quantum Break) while P7 is the candidate that was successful as their future director (like they hope Control will lead Remedy's new direction). I think that's the analogy they are making here

Also, another fun fact is that the actor that portrays Dylan, Sean Durrie, was initially cast as Jack Joyce, Quantum Break's main character (the first demos we ever saw were with him on the role) before the role was recast and Shawn Ashmore took it.

Am I going crazy here or yall see the same thing too?

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i assume certain stuff is dropped by certain enemies/in certain places but it would be good if the game told you that.

so i finished it just now

it just seemed to end really suddenly? i don't feel i followed much of the plot to be honest, hmm.

Yeah I agree. I don't know if I did something entirely wrong (very likely I started out upgrading all the wrong things and used up a plentifull supply there) but it would be nice to know.

It didn't feel like a story that would be handily concluded from the get go. They mention having to clear out absolutely everything Hiss to lift the lockdown. Not sure I can see myself clearing everything - at least not before getting confirmation that it might finish the story.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I love how SCP this is, but I'm glad it's not actually adapting SCP stuff. Prefer figuring out Control's mythology and story

Oct 27, 2017
anybody know what you get from completing the bureau alerts? Is it just the mats from killing enemies?

I don't recall any pop up or anything suggesting i received anything for doing them

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an easy mode I've somehow set this game to? People are saying the 1st boss is a difficulty spike
but I didn't even realize it was a boss. I literally just hid behind something and shot them to death when the guy was reloading his projectiles. What were people finding difficult there?