• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, did you stack the boxes in that side room up to the hole in the wall? I started trying to do that with Launch and all those boxes outside, but couldn't get them to stack right and gave up after a few minutes.
Put one down vertically on the tallest thing in the room I could get on, jumped from there to a pipe, and then did the air dash to the hole in the wall.

There was another area earlier in the game that I was considering doing this at as well, but didn't want to put the effort in. I really wanted the

duck

though.

Just finished the game, was pretty okay, I think the scores in the 80s are right about this one.
I found the ending to be extremely anticlimatic, but I wasn't really invested at the story at all.
That's impressive. I don't usually read shit in games, but I'm deeply invested in this. There's just something really appealing about the story and atmosphere in this for me.

Jan 11, 2019
I'm enjoying it, but story and gameplay feel a bit at odds.

You're exploring a simultaneously mundane and arcane SCP-esque paranormal government agency. While shooting dudes with a gun, smashing shit up with magic powers and collecting upgrades.

It like they either didn't have a better idea for the gameplay and just went with the usual Remedy fare or they were worried that nobody would buy their game if it didn't have shit to shoot.

You can practically feel the gears shift as you finish poking through the post-it notes in a warped office space and get marched into an arena, as if to say, "Fine, let's be a Video Game for a few minutes, here's some magic shooting so the 14-year-olds don't fall asleep."

Each aspect is... fine, but I find myself wishing I was playing something focused on one or the other, not a slightly awkward mashup of the two.
That aspect specifically makes the hiss seem a lot less interesting to me.

"So there's some unknowable entity at work here, warping the fabric of reality? Wow, what does that look like?"
"Well, it really likes to spawn in security guards to shoot you with guns."

Also, I really wish they'd come up with a better name than The Hiss. I see what they were going for, but it just makes me giggle every time someone says it. Maybe the sequel you'll go up against The Boo.
I've only just started playing and I'm greatly enjoying myself but I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree with you. My hope is that the dangers I'm facing become somewhat more… cosmic, than the security guards.

Oct 25, 2017
Noob question; how do I upgrade weapons? I've unlocked the variations, but there's no options to increase my weapon mod capacity at save locations.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Noob question; how do I upgrade weapons? I've unlocked the variations, but there's no options to increase my weapon mod capacity at save locations.

The option will became available as you progress the story. It's in the [Astral Construct] option in the Control points.

I don't know the exact trigger though, it could be story progression or when you find the appropriate materials.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm not far enough into the game to know more about the hiss, but maybe taking possesion of humans isn't the only thing it does in the game?
Oh yeah, it totally does other, more interesting stuff!

That's part of what makes the hissified security guards shooting you with guns seem out of place. They're so obviously there just so the player has something to shoot at.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
i wish you could force choke the enemies in this game lol

torturing the storm troopers in the force unleashed games was the best thing ever
cruel but fair I guess

you can actually upgrade launch to be able to launch enemies. try using it on enemies when their health is very low, sometimes something triggers..............

Is it possible to kill the spiky/angry ball things in any way, or do I just have to avoid them? (Talking about when encountering them later in the game, not the tutorial area)
you can kind of discourage them with the gun but you can't kill them

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my fuc-

You know how when you were a kid in the ps1/ps2 days and you used to shoot lights and stuff to see what breaks and what doesn't? This fucking game holy shit almost everything breaks realistically. I have spent the past 10 mins in the intro of this game just shooting at wooden walls and watching the splinters bust out into chunks. Wow wow wow and I'm only playing on medium settings!

You are not alone:

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Just finished the game, was pretty okay, I think the scores in the 80s are right about this one.
I found the ending to be extremely anticlimatic, but I wasn't really invested at the story at all.

why anticlimatic specifically ?

i mean now we essentially get all the ips minus Max Payne within the same universe thanks to Control and the implications of some bits of the story are ENORMOUS. Its just not showed directly

Also vidaisonline I got a question

why cant we see the full documents when becoming Director

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game and reviewed it but only just got the outfit in the luck and probability area. Makes me wonder what else I may have missed.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Now imagine my pain going through all this pre-release when I couldn't ask ANYONE about a puzzle or if I was stuck on where to go next lol

Man, this. I almost submitted a bug report to the PR due to this bit and the
motel bit where you don't go through the normal door
. It's why I got a bit hung up in my review on the lack of in-world objective markers

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, it totally does other, more interesting stuff!

That's part of what makes the hissified security guards shooting you with guns seem out of place. They're so obviously there just so the player has something to shoot at.
I can only imagine what other more crazy stuff it does (or can I?^^)

I get your point of course, but takinf possesion of the ennemy units and use them as your own thus reducing your number of opponents is a good strategy storywise, besides being as you said a plot device used to have shooting mechanics and sections.
Imo the shooting is so good I can't blame them for this decision lol

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
3900x
1440p-RTX High

Anyway to stop the frame-drops?
I go from 85fps, dips to 45fps, as low as 24fps in some case just walking around.
Combat scenarios are around 35fps sometimes.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was at The Long Lines building (33 Thomas Street, previously AT&T), one of the inspirations for the Oldest House. It's said to be a stealth NSA surveillance site. The amazing brutalist architecture makes for an imposing impression, with hardly any windows.
EDI1o1VXUAU8RWI

Mar 29, 2018
True. The thing is, all of the reviews reference it too, so the bad performance is affecting their review scores and metacritic. I understand that random forum posters are of no consequence, but review scores definitely are.

The console performance isn't just choppy though, it's fairly horrendous in places. That's where it also goes from being something that only hardcore gamers notice, to being something that even casual gamers take note of. And then it becomes the sort of thing that affects word of mouth.
I haven't followed reviews much so didn't know that - this is a good point for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finished and Platinumed the game tonight. I have some criticisms - I'm not fond of the pseudo-bonfire approach over more typical checkpointing, would have preferred a more detailed map and think combat could have used some additional way to gain health (but am glad I wasn't waiting in cover for health to regen constantly) - but I loved the game on the whole. It was definitely a big step up from Quantum Break in most regards. Amazing setting and presentation. The ending was pretty anti-climactic but I really enjoyed the journey and thought the hour leading up to it was really cool.

Ahti is awesome as hell.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Was at The Long Lines building (33 Thomas Street, previously AT&T), one of the inspirations for the Oldest House. It's said to be a stealth NSA surveillance site. The amazing brutalist architecture makes for an imposing impression, with hardly any windows.
EDI1o1VXUAU8RWI
Is that the building they used in Mr Robot? Didn't know it was the same that the Bureau is based on , cool !

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Question about one of the powers, could someone tell if it's optional or part of the main story?

levitation

I'm surprised how many of these can be missed.

Oct 25, 2017
In a closed combat room near the Tommasi fight, by using a chair to climb on the things in that room I got an ability point for reaching a "secret area". Is there anything else to do at this point there? I see some sort of chest way up there, but no idea how to reach it. Should I come back later?

Really enjoying the level design in this game. At least as far as I got into the game, which is not very far, despite having played 7.5h, it really doesn't feel like their first attempt at this kind of more open, exploration-heavy world structure.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Played like an hourish yesterday and I totally feel the House of Leaves and SCP from the game so far. Kinda cool.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Still liking the game. Only thing that lets it down for me are the boring, unimaginative and repetitive bosses

especially the former thing in the astral plane

But then again, Remedy was never really good at designing bosses

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
cruel but fair I guess

you can actually upgrade launch to be able to launch enemies. try using it on enemies when their health is very low, sometimes something triggers..............

I love doing this, two for one!
That outfit list is missing one:
the golden suit

yeah from the
Luck & Probabilty side puzzle.
I'm rocking that one right now, I love it!

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
Still liking the game. Only thing that lets it down for me are the boring, unimaginative and repetitive bosses

especially the former thing in the astral plane

But then again, Remedy was never really good at designing bosses

I was going to say, neither Alan Wake or Quantum Break had good bosses either, it's definitely something they seem to struggle at.

Not seen anything as outright terrible as Quantum Break's final boss here yet though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Man the pit is fucking frustrating. I keep dying to stuff I can't see and there's no checkpoint

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I hope they do some Remedy-verse costumes as DLC. Give me Max, Alan, and Jack costumes.

Also, just for fun, give me rip-off Jedi robes and a superhero costume or something.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the cameo side mission is for digital deluxe only? I got the ps4 preorder copy but cant trigger the recorder

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just out of curiosity, is there anything tied to shooting security cameras (like Portal) or breaking coffee cups (vaguely remembering something Alan Wake related)

Or am I just looking too hard :D