• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The mission is apparently called Isolation, is that it? If so, could you please detail it (put it in spoiler tags, of course)? I'm on Xbox One X, so I won't be playing it anyway, I'm just trying to gauge how much I'm losing by being denied access to that content.

YOu get it by picking up a couple of tapes by a doctor that are lying around. They ask you to go to the extra sensory lab. Here you put the tapes in the machine and go inside the sensory tanks. From here you are transported to a kinda of a dream world where the doctor is narrating you an experience. The doctor is Hideo Kojima

benj

Oct 27, 2017
also agreed that Control's map is great for what it is. the building is constantly queasily rearranging. in my play so far, the map has been pretty ideal for helping me find my way around without making the building feel totally tame. a map like Doom 2016 that overexplains every nook and cranny would be incredibly out of place

Mar 29, 2018
So, near this red barrier, do you see little red hiss things around the room in that area?

Edit:Beaten. Also you can shoot them in addition to throw.

Can't believe the game didn't tutorialise this. I was stuck there for ages too.
How accurate is the house of leaves reference in the thread title here, like, tonally? Is it just because of some kind of shifting layout thing or on a more significant level then that?

I was just wondering this and as far as I've played the reference is only about shifting walls, tonally this isn't very similar at all. Although there's a solid lump of horror and esoteric narrative to the game.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
YOu get it by picking up a couple of tapes by a doctor that are lying around. They ask you to go to the extra sensory lab. Here you put the tapes in the machine and go inside the sensory tanks. From here you are transported to a kinda of a dream world where the doctor is narrating you an experience. The doctor is Hideo Kojima

T(h)anks!

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Does anybody else have an issue where the map doesnt load properly when you open it and only shows some basic rooms with no detail that makes the game basically impossible to navigate?

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody else have an issue where the map doesnt load properly when you open it and only shows some basic rooms with no detail that makes the game basically impossible to navigate?
Yeah. On PS4. Generally I've found that if I close it and try opening it again like a minute later it works fine. Well as good as that map can work anyway, cause that map is booty.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
what horrible performance? the PC version is excellent

A 2080 with RTX struggling to maintain 60 fps is excellent?
On my PC it runs great (not excellent but yeah, it runs at 60fps), but the game has an average optimization in comparison with other games. I can run Metro Exodus on ultra but Control only on medium/high.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Any word yet from Remedy about any of the issues? Even acknowledgement they are looking into?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On my PC it runs great (not excellent but yeah, it runs at 60fps), but the game has an average optimization in comparison with other games. I can run Metro Exodus on ultra but Control only on medium/high.
Control's RTX implementation is way way more advanced than Metro

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
it's been a day, i'm sure they're working on patches
I'm not expecting fixes fast, just wondering if they've said anything. "yeah, we hear you. We're looking into it." etc...
And yes, sorry, I guess getting it on Monday night will make it feel longer. Not trying to be impatient, just curious.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
it's been a day, i'm sure they're working on patches
Hopefully it only launched in this state because they're confident they can fix the performance issues quickly.

Otherwise they really should have made bigger changes prior to release, either decreasing resolution or something similar on consoles.

If they can't sort out the performance with the game as it currently stands, hopefully they can introduce some sort of optional toggle on consoles to prioritise framerate over resolution/effects for any players who want that.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
so I'm on What A Mess: Burn The Trash and I have a question about some crafting/resource stuff
i think the sidequest stuff is fun and cool, as is getting to craft a random mod, but right now all my sidequests and random mods only give Commons. i already have a few commons and most of them seem interchangeably Fine. given that, is there any real reason to engage with any of this "get/craft a common" stuff? like, I'm assuming I'd be better off saving my mats for other weapon forms or maybe crafting better shit later on—is there any reason I'm missing to spend 1k of my crafting juice to make a personal/weapon mod that's as weak as the stuff I already have?

if I'd be better off just not dealing with it, that's fine, but it's sort of funny if there's this whole crafting system and most of the actual stuff that you make from it is junk

e: oh, I just saw that I have to actually Upgrade to be able to craft better stuff. I'm assuming that's a priority

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
My biggest peeve right now is the fact that there's so many UI options but no way to get rid of the highlights for throwable objects. Even when you're just walking around exploring literally every 2 seconds a random chair or table flashes white which is distracting as hell.

Jan 15, 2018

I get around 60fps at 1440p with everything max and RTX High and dlss on my 2080. Which is honestly pretty great when you consider all the effects, physics affected objects on screen at any given time, and how in depth the RTX stuff is.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I get around 60fps at 1440p with everything max and RTX High and dlss on my 2080. Which is honestly pretty great when you consider all the effects, physics affected objects on screen at any given time, and how in depth the RTX stuff is.

Is it really that great considering how much you paid for the 2080. Then again a lot of that is Nvidia's fault.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just got to Containment.

I've having a lot of fun, but this game is literally beat-by-beat, Bioshock, and that formula is beginning to get a little stale for me. Luckily, the theming and environment are strong enough for me to keep going.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
so I'm on What A Mess: Burn The Trash and I have a question about some crafting/resource stuff
i think the sidequest stuff is fun and cool, as is getting to craft a random mod, but right now all my sidequests and random mods only give Commons. i already have a few commons and most of them seem interchangeably Fine. given that, is there any real reason to engage with any of this "get/craft a common" stuff? like, I'm assuming I'd be better off saving my mats for other weapon forms or maybe crafting better shit later on—is there any reason I'm missing to spend 1k of my crafting juice to make a personal/weapon mod that's as weak as the stuff I already have?

if I'd be better off just not dealing with it, that's fine, but it's sort of funny if there's this whole crafting system and most of the actual stuff that you make from it is junk

e: oh, I just saw that I have to actually Upgrade to be able to craft better stuff. I'm assuming that's a priority

I went upgraded first to get prime mods and I've been more or less "overpowered" for most of the back half of the game. At least it's seemed like that or it has just gotten easier. It's honestly made the game insanely fun for me being slightly higher power level.
Mods are the way to go!

Oct 25, 2017
So... Tommasi, Head of Communications, huh?

Thomas Puha
Verified
Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment

🤔

Also, this kinda looks like the Yellow Sign as it appears in True Detective:

Z49b0K2.jpg

Yeah, it's a fairly generic symbol, but I remember Sam Lake talking about how the bar has been raised for an Alan Wake 2 a few years ago, because television was in an even better place than when Alan Wake 1 came out, and one of the examples he mentioned was specifically True Detective. That was when Season 1 was the only season available.

Also, this was shortly after the radio show used as an example of a supernatural occurance a color that doesn't look like anything we've seen before, that can't be described. Where did I hear that before?

HUH? HUHHH?????

There are no coincidences in this world, not when you're playing a game like Control. Wouldn't you agree, Zach?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Only an hour in & man this game is weird. Is Jesse
talking the us, the player? She's becomes the director by just grabbing the gun? Every door just opens on it's own?!
I have many more questions, but hopefully they'll be answered as I go along.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tip for people looking for outfits. Midgame area spoiler

On the research floor, in the synchonicity lab to the west on the map. There's a mannequin there in one of the cells wearing a robe, if you get into it you can simply interact with it and get a new outfit.

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
Soooo, I want to play this game so bad but in the beginning already all these red, blue and green flashes are horrible and I am afraid it will trigger my vertigo =/

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... Tommasi, Head of Communications, huh?

Thomas Puha
Verified
Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment

🤔

Also, this kinda looks like the Yellow Sign as it appears in True Detective:

Z49b0K2.jpg

Yeah, it's a fairly generic symbol, but I remember Sam Lake talking about how the bar has been raised for an Alan Wake 2 a few years ago, because television was in an even better place than when Alan Wake 1 came out, and one of the examples he mentioned was specifically True Detective. That was when Season 1 was the only season available.

Also, this was shortly after the radio show used as an example of a supernatural occurance a color that doesn't look like anything we've seen before, that can't be described. Where did I hear that before?

HUH? HUHHH?????

There are no coincidences in this world, not when you're playing a game like Control. Wouldn't you agree, Zach?

The colour out of space by HP Lovecraft :3

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fucking TONS. As soon as i go thinking "hmm i think i found most of the quests now" another thing end up diverting me from the main quest. Do backtrack, there's so many things hidden behind places that are locked through security levels.
Im just 3h in but o have a big Issue about where to go (mission says go there. I open map I can't see any name similar to where I need to go. Oh and is that normal that sometimes map'just Show places name's and my'position .... not any actual map ?)

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Only an hour in & man this game is weird. Is Jesse
talking the us, the player? She's becomes the director by just grabbing the gun? Every door just opens on it's own?!
I have many more questions, but hopefully they'll be answered as I go along.
You'll find out about the voice after a few story missions

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I just talked to Jesse about Marshall and have a quest question

is the timer how long I have until I have to drop what I'm doing and go to the NSC Energy Converters, or is the timer how long I have to make it to the energy converters? the game didn't automatically start tracking it, so I'm a little confused. timed missions are basically the only things in games that stress me out as much as jump scares, lol

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I just talked to Jesse about Marshall and have a quest question

is the timer how long I have until I have to drop what I'm doing and go to the NSC Energy Converters, or is the timer how long I have to make it to the energy converters? the game didn't automatically start tracking it, so I'm a little confused. timed missions are basically the only things in games that stress me out as much as jump scares, lol

I think the timer missions are just for materials. You just have to go to the area and eliminate enemies. I don't think they are required at all.