• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question regarding ways to find hidden areas, spoilertagging just in case

So is it a thing with many hidden areas that you can shoot down walls and find small hidden places? I was just kinda fucking around shooting at things and seeing how the destruction was, and i ended up finding this one wall i could see the other end of. Thought it was an effect basically but i could shoot down the concrete around it and enter it. Was a small little room with 2 lootboxes. Are there many of these? If so, what do i look for? I just kinda fucked around and didn't realize this was a hidden area until it was showing the light on the opposite side.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok I need the soundtrack to this game. I've heard three or four songs that are really good. The sound design in this game is top notch.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just a heads up if PS4 people aren't aware but there's another dynamic Control theme in the store for £2.50.
Inverted pyramid split with two black and white sets of that ink/paint mixture effect that's in red in the game.

It's a little annoying that it's out of focus but I'm on a 55" 4K so YMMV.
Still works well as a neutral background I'd thats your jam:

6e62b76c-f270-40bd-8itkgs.jpeg

8525fbf2-066f-4b15-btmkyp.jpeg

This was the dynamic preorder theme (below).
The walls shift continuously and the camera pans across from left to right and back.

b171553e-12bc-4612-bqqkl7.jpeg

Bonus screenshot
535bd149-2119-45c4-b9hkgp.jpeg

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
The more I progress, the more I think this will be one of my GOATs. I can't believe what I'm seeing, hearing and feeling.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The map is pretty bad when multiple areas overlap each other, like in the Panopticon.
why? because it's just an approximation that will give you an idea of where you are but not an exact diagram, and forces you to explore and learn the areas? no that's intentional and it's a fantastic design choice

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
why? because it's just an approximation that will give you an idea of where you are but not an exact diagram, and forces you to explore and learn the areas? no that's intentional and it's a fantastic design choice
If the map is just supposed to be a rough approximation they shouldn't make it look 1:1 with the levels.

Rezon

Oct 28, 2017
The map is pretty bad when multiple areas overlap each other, like in the Panopticon.

the map overlaying is pretty bad and annoying, don't know what layer the map even is showing me half the time, DOOM 2016 had a fantastic map even if 5 floors were overlapping
1463239192_doom-2016-secret-level-argent-dnur-1.jpg

and I don't really buy the design choice excuse, a map should be used to know where you are/ where you're going, if the map doesn't do that, it's just a bad map.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the map overlaying is pretty bad and annoying, don't know what layer the map even is showing me half the time, DOOM 2016 had a fantastic map even if 5 floors were overlapping

and I don't really buy the design choice excuse, a map should be used to know where you are/ where you're going, if the map doesn't do that, it's just a bad map.
nah. i'm really glad the game's map doesn't look like that. extremely glad it doesn't have map markers and minimaps and compasses telling you where to go and what to do. that would be awful.
How can you have a Metroidvania with an intentionally bad map
it's intentionally good. an intentionally bad map would have a bunch of map markers and pointers and an exact diagram of every level telling me exactly where i need to go. that wouldn't work with the approach and design this game is going for at all. love the throwback to when you actually had to explore and discover things for yourself rather than having everything spoonfed to you! great choice Remedy

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

This map is perfect for DOOM, but I don't think it's necessary here. Control's map functions perfectly for the pace and tone of the game, I like it a lot

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Just a heads up if PS4 people aren't aware but there's another dynamic Control theme in the store for £2.50.
Inverted pyramid split with two black and white sets of that ink/paint mixture effect that's in red in the game.

It's a little annoying that it's out of focus but I'm on a 55" 4K so YMMV.
Still works well as a neutral background I'd thats your jam:

6e62b76c-f270-40bd-8itkgs.jpeg

8525fbf2-066f-4b15-btmkyp.jpeg

This was the dynamic preorder theme (below).
The walls shift continuously and the camera pans across from left to right and back.

b171553e-12bc-4612-bqqkl7.jpeg

Bonus screenshot
535bd149-2119-45c4-b9hkgp.jpeg
Is there music in the dynamic theme you bought?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
You can unlock one
in the Luck Research Room. There's a puzzle you have to solve in the room next to all the lucky objects using said objects.

That's the only other one I have besides the pre-order one.

wait, there's a puzzle there? All it happened to me was that everything started to blow up after hitting those buttons. I thought it was pretty funny beeing the luck and probability office lol

ket

Jul 27, 2018
nah. i'm really glad the game's map doesn't look like that. extremely glad it doesn't have map markers and minimaps and compasses telling you where to go and what to do. that would be awful.

it's intentionally good. an intentionally bad map would have a bunch of map markers and pointers and an exact diagram of every level telling me exactly where i need to go. that wouldn't work with the approach and design this game is going for at all. love the throwback to when you actually had to explore and discover things for yourself rather than having everything spoonfed to you! great choice Remedy

That's more or less what this game does tho? The objective marker is on by default, the map always has your objective spelled out, and you can track/untrack missions any time you want. Story characters also always tell Jesse exactly what she has to do too.

Yeah there's office signs that you can use to navigate but otherwise Control guides the player like basically any other AAA game. The main difference is that the waypoint marker is on your map instead. That's it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm only 4 hours in and the respawning enemies are already getting tedious, just feels like padding.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's more or less what this game does tho? The objective marker is on by default, the map always has your objective clearly listed, and you can track/untrack missions any time you want.
nope, it highlights a general region but doesn't give a precise objective marker. there's an overlay that comes on when you're standing directly next to an objective but that's pretty much it. perfect balance between pushing people in the right direction and making them explore for themselves. unless you think highlighting the panopticon on your map as an area to explore is really the same as giving you an exact map marker
Yeah there's office signs that you can ise to navigate but otherwise Control guides the player like basically any other AAA game. The main difference is that the waypoint marker is on your map instead. That's it.
you're wrong

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I hated the mold boss I beat him by
putting on highest tiers mods for health, levitation using less energy and launch using less energy. Health and energy were completely upgraded. Make sure to fly around and shoot while doing so. Once energy refills, try to land to launch the things blowing up near you at the mold boss then start levitating again. Standing on the ground is a death sentence.
good luck.

Thanks. I'll give it a try when I play tomorrow. Although I don't think I have enough to upgrade health and energy fully, so maybe it's a fight I'll have to return to later.

wait, there's a puzzle there? All it happened to me was that everything started to blow up after hitting those buttons. I thought it was pretty funny beeing the luck and probability office lol

You need to be able to get into the room next to the room with the objects (iirc it needs a clearance pass). But there's a whiteboard with a puzzle on it, once you solve it you'll unlock a new outfit. When things are blowing up it's because it hasn't been done correctly

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Gotta agree about the map, I don't think it actually does encourage exploration - particularly when it comes to backtracking. It's far too difficult to see what rooms actually connect and what don't, what floors are being represented or recognise much of what you're looking at. There are spots where I've known I'll have to come back later but it's far too difficult to make much of a mental note looking at the map so instead most of the time I'm just hoping I'll stumble on the secret again when doing something else. That isn't great for a game with Metroidvania elements. This isn't even about needing map markers, a radar or a minimap, I do think the absence of those are totally okay decisions. The map itself though just feels borderline useless.

It's still a great game! Not every design decision needs to be defended just because it was a deliberate decision.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta agree about the map, I don't think it actually does encourage exploration - particularly when it comes to backtracking. It's far too difficult to see what rooms actually connect and what don't, what floors are being represented or recognise much of what you're looking at. There are spots where I've known I'll have to come back later but it's far too difficult to make much of a mental note looking at the map so instead most of the time I'm just hoping I'll stumble on the secret again when doing something else. That isn't great for a game with Metroidvania elements. This isn't even about needing map markers, a radar or a minimap, I do think the absence of those are totally okay decisions. The map itself though just feels borderline useless.

It's still a great game! Not every design decision needs to be defended just because it was a deliberate decision.
i wrote a day before the game came out that the map and the way it's handled is one of my favorite parts about the game and i stand by that. i don't really get how making it hard to see how rooms and levels precisely connect sometimes discourages exploration? i would say just the opposite

ket

Jul 27, 2018
nope, it highlights a general region but doesn't give a precise objective marker. there's an overlay that comes on when you're standing directly next to an objective but that's pretty much it. perfect balance between pushing people in the right direction and making them explore for themselves. unless you think highlighting the panopticon on your map as an area to explore is really the same as giving you an exact map marker

you're wrong

1) The objective marker is pretty much always on the room where you need to go next and even in the instances where it isn't the marker is so close to where you need to go that you'll usually find the room you need to go fairly quickly. It's pretty hard to get lost in this game.

2) Yes, I am? The characters tell you where to go all the time! The map marker pretty much shows you exactly where you need to go! Just because there's a modicum of navigation skills required doesn't mean Control isn't spoonfeeding you any less than a AAA game like AC Odyssey on exploration mode.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1) The objective marker is pretty much always on the room where you need to go next and even in the instances where it isn't the marker is so close to where you need to go that you'll usually find the room you need to go fairly quickly. It's pretty hard to get lost in this game.

2) Yes, I am? The characters tell you where to go all the time! The map marker pretty much shows you exactly where you need to go! Just because there's a modicum of navigation skills required doesn't mean Control isn't spoonfeeding you any less than a AAA game like AC Odyssey on exploration mode.
are we playing the same game? how far are you? you must be very very early if you're regularly seeing the overlay, it basically disappears at one point and the areas that get highlighted are large and contain several layers.

super funny though though. one minute people are complaining that the map is too confusing and i'm getting lost, the next minute it's just like any other AAA map and it tells you exactly where to go, it's impossible to get lost.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
are we playing the same game? how far are you? you must be very very early if you're regularly seeing the overlay, it basically disappears at one point and the areas that get highlighted are large and contain several layers.

super funny though though. one minute people are complaining that the map is too confusing and i'm getting lost, the next minute it's just like any other AAA map and it tells you exactly where to go, it's impossible to get lost.

I've nearly beaten the game and have been playing it since last week

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017

Sounds like you got bit by a PS4 bug. The map never disappeared for me on PC. (Apart from the areas that clearly say UNMAPPED AREA)

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Man, my TV broke down yesterday so I played the last 4 hours in PSVR Cinema mode.
The Resolution is subpar of course , but the atmosphere is almost oppressive at times, duenl to the immersivness of the headset and the large virtual screen.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've nearly beaten the game and have been playing it since last week
weird that you didn't notice then! i guess all the people talking about how they're getting lost and find it confusing that the objective system doesn't tell them exactly where they need to go just don't know what they're talking about. and also all the critics and players who highlighted that the game doesn't give you precise markers were also wrong. i can argue against people saying the map is too imprecise and they don't know where to go. can't simultaneously argue against people saying the map is just like any other AAA and it tells you exactly where to go, lol. can't juggle it
Sounds like you got bit by a PS4 bug. The map never disappeared for me on PC.
i never said the map disappears? i said you rarely see the spinning overlay that appears when you're right next to an objective after a certain point in the game. i played on PC and i'm on my second playthrough

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
weird that you didn't notice then! i guess all the people talking about how they're getting lost and find it confusing that the objective system doesn't tell them exactly where they need to go just don't know what they're talking about. and also all the critics and players who highlighted that the game doesn't give you precise markers were also wrong. i can argue against people saying the map is too imprecise and they don't know where to go. can't simultaneously argue against people saying the map is just like any other AAA and it tells you exactly where to go, lol. can't juggle it

i never said the map disappears? i said you rarely see the spinning overlay that appears when you're right next to an objective after a certain point in the game. i played on PC and i'm on my second playthrough

Sorry, I misread. But there is a bug where the rooms in the map display disappear, leaving only the text labels.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i wrote a day before the game came out that the map and the way it's handled is one of my favorite parts about the game and i stand by that. i don't really get how making it hard to see how rooms and levels precisely connect sometimes discourages exploration? i would say just the opposite
Because using it at times feels about as helpful as strapping on a blindfold. The map should aid with navigation and help streamline the process of exploration. Instead it's basically only as helpful as a compass. When needing to get from a-to-b the map barely helps at all with figuring out what door or path leads where, meaning that exploration and backtracking becomes a chore of "maybe this door? Nope that's that room I've been to and don't need. Nope that's a toilet. Nope this looped in the opposite direction etc" until you stumble on the right path. It hinders the process of finding those areas you haven't yet explored or need to come back to later. That's not what maps are supposed to do.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This game is gonna end up topping Alan Wake for me and I didn't see that coming. Even outside of strictly Remedy's catalog of games this is gonna end up being one of my favorite, if not favorite games of the year. I am running into a bit of stuttering on PS4 now that I have acquired a few abilities but it's not really ruining the game for me. Although I hope they do a next-gen patch cause I would easily play it again.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got something a bit earlier than I should have, due to the nature of having a bunch of objects to play around with and telekinesis in order to get to places I shouldn't be able to yet.

quack quack

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because using it at times feels about as helpful as strapping on a blindfold. The map should aid with navigation and help streamline the process of exploration. Instead it's basically only as helpful as a compass. When needing to get from a-to-b the map barely helps at all with figuring out what door or path leads where, meaning that exploration and backtracking becomes a chore of "maybe this door? Nope that's that room I've been to and don't need. Nope that's a toilet. Nope this looped in the opposite direction etc" until you stumble on the right path. It hinders the process of finding those areas you haven't yet explored or need to come back to later. That's not what maps are supposed to do.
it's definitely designed so that you'll eventually want to stop using it because you've learned how to navigate. it does aid with navigation imo, but that aid is very limited. it will point you in the right direction. i strongly believe the map in this game should not assist you too much. the levels are clearly designed and understandable in their own right.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
it's definitely designed so that you'll eventually want to stop using it because you've learned how to navigate. it does aid with navigation imo, but that aid is very limited. it will point you in the right direction. i strongly believe the map in this game should not assist you too much. the levels are clearly designed and understandable in their own right.
Yeah, I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree because ultimately we want different things out of our maps. That's okay, though.

I do think they've done a solid job of signposting most areas, which makes up for a lack of detail in the map. It can just be a bit more frustrating when you want to get more specific about nooks and crannies and such.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree because ultimately we want different things out of our maps. That's okay, though.

I do think they've done a solid job of signposting most areas, which makes up for a lack of detail in the map. It can just be a bit more frustrating when you want to get more specific about nooks and crannies and such.
yeah i mean i would personally be happy if the game had no map. but i understand for most people that would be pushing it too far. what bothers me more is that people dispute that it was intentional. whether you like it dislike it ultimately is opinion but the map isn't that way just because they don't know how to create a precise map. remedy said as much pre-release
entirely dependent on how much exploration, side quests and document hunting/reading you're gonna do. i did everything and it was well over 20 hours. you could probably do the main story path in more like 10-15

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Rob Zacny's pitch convinced me to go Control over Astral Chain when I've been leaning slightly in the other direction. Do we have any clue what to expect from the DLC? Might go ahead and grab the Deluxe Edition.

Edit, since the release dates don't seem to be clear for the first one, and even less so for the second, I'll think I'll wait for those.