• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
ccohwCV.jpg
If you aren't convinced on this game yet but are kinda into the whole SCP aspect, read this letter, it hits every single note.
I laughed so much about that. Then starting thinking about what would happen if you were in there.

The whole thing just gives off creepy as fuck vibes, even the mundane things like that seem incredibly creepy when you sit and think.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Ok! So....

I'm still fairly early but I'm a couple of hours in. The game holds up until you get psychic powers and then you can see the issues

It's bad, but at least so far it's not as bad as I was expecting. I find some satisfaction in frame drops when it's just like so much chaos that the game is tearing itself apart, anytime theres a bunch of explosions and whatever the game turns into a motion blurred mess but it's kinda cool?

Like it's definitely not good (it's bad) but seeing as the game is just combat arenas and all of the psychic throwing stuff is lock-on it isn't the worst thing in the world

I was really worried when impressions first came out, and yeah it's a bummer but for now I'm glad I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tiring just because that's all there really is to the combat

Thanks for the impressions. Most appreciated.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I saw some of you got Control t-shirts. How did you get those?

Is there a Remedy/Control merch shop? I'd really some posters/artworks, the art design is mindblowing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
hey pal

there's only two community managers in this thread. myself and PadPoet. Thomas Puha is the communications director at remedy, so much more than a community manager :D

since you seem pretty up to date on hdr stuff and our game, I'm sure you've seen this tweet already!

like I said at the very beginning of my comment - I am replying to everything that I can reply to, aka everything that I have an answer for. when it comes to hdr I can't give a straight answer yet, and that's why I've not replied. trust that nobody's ignoring you. we read everything, we see everything and take it back to the team and discuss it. just because we don't reply to everyone doesn't mean we don't see you.

and thanks so much for being excited for the game, it honestly means a lot. I just ask for your patience, when we can talk about stuff like this, we will. we want to be as open with everyone as we can.
Hey vida, appreciate the response.

Seems I counted Thomas Puha twice and incorrectly with the title, apologies for that.

Funnily enough it was the tweet that gave the confusion, when met against the news articles was the only reason I had the '?' in the first place as the former seemed pretty clear cut, yet the messaging was muddied in the latter with outlets and headlines. Was hard to determine whether that caveat of "at launch" was an assumption on their part or something that had already been clarified by yourselves!

You have my patience in spades, I just wanted a simple response to some degree to understand the situation. Both before buying as it would have factored in, and post doing so now because I'm genuinely interested in picking this up a second time on the X for native 4K (to which HDR would be an added incentive). It never had a bearing on my want to play the game, just where. When you're just trying to find out a simple question (whether it be yes, no or maybe) before buying the game with two hours to spare, and see each person seemingly ghost it that's hard not to take as an ignore. All remedied (hah) by this though, so thank you - appreciate it.

I went into Control largely blind, hyped by the launch trailer (which, imo, is one of the best trailers for a game, period) and expecting a cool shooty-shooty with some psychic fun. I enjoyed Second Sight on the Gamecube so this resonated as it's something we don't see used in games much or well. I'm currently around 7 hours in and am absolutely blown away in every sense. Legitimate GotY contender for me if this continues as it has. The world building and art direction is top-tier, with the sound design embellishing every cool moment. The level of detail (shout out to the first aid sheet of dev names) and focus is so rewarding, and I'm actively bummed if every single room I go into doesn't have more paper for me to pick up and read.

Another question I know but less dramatic than before I promise; are there any plans to release an art book for Control? I want to absord everything about this game and The Old House. I've also ordered the full-colour version of House of Leaves just so I can continue to get threads of this theme outside of playing.

Please extend a thank you to the team, and to yourself, for everyone's part in making this. As others have described it's like you dove inside my head to extract the exact type of weird, awesome stuff I've wanted to see and explore in a game.

Last edited:

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't control (heh) myself anymore. Wanted to play this on PC but alas... so Xbox One X is the way to go for consoles?
i had a great time but yes, there are performance issues in some combat scenarios. but overall, it still runs fine. this is not a mess that has constant performance problems.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
OK, just finished! My two cents -

1. Loved the story, worldbuilding and characters. Very nicely told and loved all the mind bending scenes/scenarios.
2. Combat and powers would be really fun (see later). Shooting felt good
3. The building it was set in was really good in its design, and the lore and tapes etc were great to add to that.
4. Liked the puzzle parts , even though they were a bit light / easy.

5. Combat was not fun in a busy room though (base PS4).Game is a technical mess I'm afraid. Really detracts a lot of the enjoyment from it.
6. Several bugs were annoying, especially the weapon upgrade bug which just fucking wastes currency
7. motion blur is rough.

Overall I enjoyed the game, loved the story, setting and world, but its sure is rough technically, and I hope there's patches coming to this before dlc hits. It really is pretty poor showing from a technical point of view. Did they run out of time? Hope so, sure hope its not this is the best it can get.

But enough moaning, enjoyed it, and would be interested in a potential sequel.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, really cool OT! Great work!

I've put in about two hours so far and I'm really digging the world and characters, especially Jesse. I'd only played the first chapter of Alan Wake so I didn't expect there to be narration from her as well, which was a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately... I've had some performance issues on my (base) PS4. There was a cutscene early on where the frame rate dropped to abysmal levels. That was the first time I'd experience anything like that, now that I think about it. I usually luck out even with buggy games or those with performance issues. It's not a big enough issue that it'll detract from my enjoyment of the game though, thankfully.

Combat is pretty fun so far even without powers or other forms for the Service Weapon. Hoping I get Launch soon though, that seemed like the most fun power. Speaking of throwing objects around, I'm constantly astonished by the level of environmental destruction available to us.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I need this. I'm guessing that's some industry people selling this?
I have no idea, actively been looking out for things like the promo packs (had faux documents, postcard artwork and the like I believe) that influencers were given pre-release but nada.

Nothing on UK eBay now that I can see aside from the OST CD and the t-shirt in XL. Got lucky with the pin.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Honestly game was kinda bland until
the TV showed up
. After that the
anchor and the mold 1 fights
combined to their emplacements and the pretty fucked up events happening began to make the game truly interesting

Now I absolutely dont get a couple of things, for starters the accuracy on pistol is so random ?! shooting in the game absolutely doesnt feel right with any form outside of the pierce one and I just cant put my mind around the why. It just NEVER feels accurate. Like theres some ultra precise and super tight hitbox by using everything but pierce basically, its super ridiculous. Like at times point blank with the reticle dead on the head, it still manages to not hit it

Quantum Break had AMAZING gunplay and this feels the complete opposite. Frankly im super puzzled

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Yo Remedy, whoever was responsible for the sound design on the telekinetic pull, please give them a raise. It seriously adds so much to how awesome it feels to use.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Mainlining the launch ability upgrades from the off to get..
grabbing, holding and throwing back rockets mid-flight plus grenades
..was such a great choice. Always such a cool feeling among everything else when you just pluck one out the air and fling it into them.

The feeling of just hurling shit at people is persistently satisfying. I carry a bench around with me for self defense.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't believe how good this game is

I didn't really follow it at all after it was announced because I'll buy anything Remedy puts out at this point, but for some reason I was expecting something smaller, like on the scale of American Nightmare (which I would have been fine with). But this is really just blowing me away

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Not only is the performance terrible on PS4, now the furnace side quest is bugged so I can't complete it. Truly unbelievable.

theslb

Nov 15, 2017
I have a bug where the gun sights and map and still the graphical menu sometimes disappears, I'm doing the mission to find Marshall, either in dx11 or 12 anyone with this bug?(pc)

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having waaay too much fun running around melee-ing the environment.

Also I don't know if it's aim assist or what, but I have better aim while shooting from the hip. Jesse looks way cooler too.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, I love House of Leaves, I love Twin Peaks, and one of my favorite buildings in NYC is what the building is based on.

After 3 hours, this game has not disappointed.
I'm in NY for holiday and hopefully will check out 33 Thomas Street (Long Lines building) which is a stealth NSA surveillance site that is the inspiration for the Oldest House. Love brutalist architecture.
nsa-buiding_06.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit I was a little worried about Jesse's inner monologue getting a bit annoying before playing, but it really works well because she's as much of a mystery as the setting.

I'm actually more confused by her thoughts than the main plot so far, it's great.

I love how this game pulled me into the lore and got me naturally reading everything and paying attention to every little detail in the environment to form a story. A lot of games try to go for this "there's a lot of lore to the world for players who want to explore", but they fail to capture me by telling a story that's a bit too straightforward, and gives me no incentive to dig deeper.

Control makes me feel like part of a narrative triangle, I'm not just joining Jesse in trying to figure out what's going on in The Oldest House, I'm also trying to get a read on her and what's going on with her. I have to think twice about every bit of information I encounter.

Little things like how the painting around where the message pipes go through the wall (it's so cool to see the capsules moving inside them!) near the Director's Office being broken, indicating that they were built there after that part of the building was already done, but that not being the case elsewhere, so the rest of the building was probably prepared later, and built around the Director's Office.

That is later on pretty much confirmed by seeing that the Service Weapon was found out the same day as they found the Bureau (seriously, how does that work? How the hell does one "find" a giant building in the middle of NY?), and then the file saying that they turned the room they found the weapon in into the Director's Office. So the whole building was indeed prepared around that office.

I also really appreciate how out there Jesse is as a protagonist. I kind of expected them to be a little more conservative with her, given that she's their first female protagonist, but they're going all in. That makes her really unique in this industry. It would already be a very different protagonist as a man, but being a woman just makes her even more fresh. A lot of the good female protagonists in games, especially action games, tend to be defined as "a badass", which is great, don't get me wrong, but Jesse is just weird. And that's awesome.

I'm having waaay too much fun running around melee-ing the environment.

Also I don't know if it's aim assist or what, but I have better aim while shooting from the hip. Jesse looks way cooler too.
Yeah, the hip fire in this game is even more generous than in Uncharted. Which I personally love, the more incentives a game with movement as a big part of its gameplay gives players to keep moving while fighting, the better.

I imagine that weapons I unlock later on will make better use of precise aiming, especially for long distances.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit I was a little worried about Jesse's inner monologue getting a bit annoying before playing, but it really works well because she's as much of a mystery as the setting.

I'm actually more confused by her thoughts than the main plot so far, it's great.

I love how this game pulled me into the lore and got me naturally reading everything and paying attention to every little detail in the environment to form a story. A lot of games try to go for this "there's a lot of lore to the world for players who want to explore", but they fail to capture me by telling a story that's a bit too straightforward, and gives me no incentive to dig deeper.

Control makes me feel like part of a narrative triangle, I'm not just joining Jesse in trying to figure out what's going on in The Oldest House, I'm also trying to get a read on her and what's going on with her. I have to think twice about every bit of information I encounter.

Little things like how the painting around where the message pipes go through the wall (it's so cool to see the capsules moving inside them!) near the Director's Office being broken, indicating that they were built there after that part of the building was already done, but that not being the case elsewhere, so the rest of the building was probably prepared later, and built around the Director's Office.

That is later on pretty much confirmed by seeing that the Service Weapon was found out the same day as they found the Bureau (seriously, how does that work? How the hell does one "find" a giant building in the middle of NY?), and then the file saying that they turned the room they found the weapon in into the Director's Office. So the whole building was indeed prepared around that office.

I also really appreciate how out there Jesse is as a protagonist. I kind of expected them to be a little more conservative with her, given that she's their first female protagonist, but they're going all in. That makes her really unique in this industry. It would already be a very different protagonist as a man, but being a woman just makes her even more fresh. A lot of the good female protagonists in games, especially action games, tend to be defined as "a badass", which is great, don't get me wrong, but Jesse is just weird. And that's awesome.
Everything you're writing is giving me the best SCP/cosmic horror vibes. Can't wait to start playing this

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh my lol. Completely forgot about checking for Service Weapon upgrades and found I had
spin and pierce
sitting there for me. Having way too much fun with Grip and the second one with launch to notice lol.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I died during one of those timed missions and now its gone. How do you restart those? I'm really not a fan of getting one-shot even with health upgrades.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely, that was my main fear as well, but they pulled it off like almost no one else manages. It's not only logical (as in they're inner thoughts and they are presented as such), but it only adds to the mystery.

I died during one of those timed missions and now its gone. How do you restart those? I'm really not a fan of getting one-shot even with health upgrades.
Not sure about timed missions, but normally you go to a control point and choose it from there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Everything you're writing is giving me the best SCP/cosmic horror vibes. Can't wait to start playing this
I have no knowledge of SCP at all, and all of the redacted documents are making me want to read up on it after playing the game, so I imagine someone who's a fan of it will have a blast. I think you'll be really into it, judging from what I've seen of your tastes on Era.

Absolutely, that was my main fear as well, but they pulled it off like almost no one else manages. It's not only logical, but it only adds to the mystery.
I guess I shouldn't expect differently from Remedy, now that I think about it, but yeah, it was a very positive surprise.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I saw some of you got Control t-shirts. How did you get those?

Is there a Remedy/Control merch shop? I'd really some posters/artworks, the art design is mindblowing.

I was searching for it as well, nowhere to be found unfortunately.

hopefully Remedy puts up a webstore, I'd love to have that shirt. And an artbook. And a poster. And other stuff.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Please set up a worldwide merch store and make some art prints and posters. I want to look behind the poster on my wall.

Is there an OST?

This game just oozes style, I grin like an idiot every time the big white letters introduce a new section.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great game so far. I just got to Chapter 3.

This prob has been answered, but I'll appreciate some insight. I am currently pretty much lost with the "story". I am trying to piece everything together but I still feel the narrative is all over the place. Is this normal at this point where I am at?

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
Am I missing something? How do I get to the
containment
sector?